• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Hellblade 2 Preview Reaction: The New State of the Art for Unreal Engine 5?

mdkirby

It’s gonna be a real treat for gamers like myself that enjoy narrative heavy, brief waking simulator type games. As they are almost never of AAA quality. But I really have a feeling it’s gonna be the generations the order 1886. Will get slammed for its limited gameplay and short length. Gaming press and fanboys lauding it as the saviour of xbox are really doing it a disservice, as it will inevitably lead to significant disappointment from players who were expecting something else.

Sushi_Combo

It’s gonna be a real treat for gamers like myself that enjoy narrative heavy, brief waking simulator type games. As they are almost never of AAA quality. But I really have a feeling it’s gonna be the generations the order 1886. Will get slammed for its limited gameplay and short length. Gaming press and fanboys lauding it as the saviour of xbox are really doing it a disservice, as it will inevitably lead to significant disappointment from players who were expecting something else.
Not everyone is interested in walking simulators.

Nonsense, as usual
m5iJ8UT.jpg

Let’s not even go into the sub $1000 PCs with 3070 Ti/4060 GPUs.
Holy fuck that's a good price for so much power. 7700X and 4070? That thing is monster.

mdkirby

Not everyone is interested in walking simulators.
Exactly. Whilst highly accessible and games like firewatch have seen success, it a relatively niche genre, and success is relative to budget and price. Firewatch is one of the more successful, but it only shifted 2-3mil units at somewhere between free and $20.

I know hellblade is gonna have combat etc too. But it’s definitely gonna take a back seat the narrative, because that’s the game they are making.

The big issue is they aren’t marketing it to people who “like walking simulators”. They are marking it to many people who explicitly don’t, and it’s not being made overly clear what this game is, as it’s particularly impressive graphics are all that’s needed to gain eyeballs. Obviously plenty of people on gaming forums etc will be more informed and have a better idea what they are gonna be getting. But we aren’t representative of the broader gaming public.

Exactly. Whilst highly accessible and games like firewatch have seen success, it a relatively niche genre, and success is relative to budget and price. Firewatch is one of the more successful, but it only shifted 2-3mil units at somewhere between free and $20.

I know hellblade is gonna have combat etc too. But it’s definitely gonna take a back seat the narrative, because that’s the game they are making.

The big issue is they aren’t marketing it to people who “like walking simulators”. They are marking it to many people who explicitly don’t, and it’s not being made overly clear what this game is, as it’s particularly impressive graphics are all that’s needed to gain eyeballs. Obviously plenty of people on gaming forums etc will be more informed and have a better idea what they are gonna be getting. But we aren’t representative of the broader gaming public.

They are not being honest with this since many Xboxers have not played the previous game and don't know what it's all about. The first Hellblade had basic combat and no story at all. It was a dementia simulator with beautiful landscapes, nothing more. Reading in this same thread that they don't explain the gameplay due to "story spoilers" shows how misled people are, even in videogame forums.

Radical_3d

This generation’s The Order 1886 it’ll be like having 4K or even 1800p with bars. HB2 is literally last generation’s The Order 1886 resolution.

Fredrik

At $3000 it had better.
Outside of the US the graphics card alone can cost over $2500. If I include accessories and the screen then my main PC cost well over $5000.
🤕

It is what it is. Can go with a lower performance target to save some money. I went with 4080S on my last one, $1000 cheaper.
Can also plan ahead and use the stock market to handle the cost. I already have a future upgrade planned with stock investments. The Nvidia stock has been nice, slightly bumpy the last couple weeks but nearly 80% so far this year. 📈

Fredrik

Unironically posting KingThrash must be a new low for this thread.
lmao this is just the beginning the salty takes will keep coming

The game looks amazing. I’m just hoping the system requirements on PC isn’t too high, no official stats out yet and it’s coming in just over a month, and no port talk at all yet. I’m getting nervous.

Bojji

KingThrash exposing Digital Foundry's leniency towards Xbox:

From that time stamped bit I don't get where he gets that they are talking about 1440p 60fps games? Most games on consoles target 60fps, true but many of them are around 1080p ot even lower with that performance target. I think every game should have performance mode (at least 40fps) but most games do look much better in graphics modes.

I can't imagine them being CPU locked to 30, maybe someone could explain. A 40Hz option would be interesting.

Probably because it has been almost 5 years since the announcement trailer.

It has to be GPU limited most of time, I doubt they are doing some crazy stuff on CPU. But UE5 is terrible on cpus on itself so who knows.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why? He admits his personal bias,but that doesn't seem to distort his objectivity in analyzing video games.

I would say Kingthrash Gaming is no worse than DF,at least we know how Thrash going to react. The DF have shown on multiple occasions they aren't as thorough as the used to be.

I glanced at his Youtube channel and i'm howling with you trying to paint him as 'objective' in any way.

Seems like this is one in a long line of videos carpeting DF for any positive analysis of an Xbox exclusive.

haQP53T.png

shamoomoo

You don’t seriously believe that.
Yes. I understand KingThrash is a PlayStation guy,but when it comes to analysis he seems just as sharp,even though he isn't as technical as the DF crew.

Alex Butaglia did an hour+ video Matrix Awakenes demo and didn't show the obvious between the PS5 and Series X,even if done in bad faith, I'm supposed believe Thrash was more competent than folks whose job is analysis and breakdowns? Also,the DF crew have on multiple instances that they miss obvious stuff when they do comparisons.

shamoomoo

I glanced at his Youtube channel and i'm howling with you trying to paint him as 'objective' in any way.

Seems like this is one in a long line of videos carpeting DF for any positive analysis of an Xbox exclusive.

haQP53T.png
I'm talking about Kingthrash Gaming analysis comparisons.

Top Bottom