• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Digital Foundry) Hellblade PC vs PS4/Pro: Graphics Comparison + 1080p60 Tweak Guide!

Source (YouTube)

Here's a full breakdown of Hellblade's PC performance, comparisons with PS4 along with the graphics hardware you'll need to hit 60 frames per second gameplay with better image quality than PS4 Pro.

Tom from Digital Foundry takes a look at Hellblade on the PC and the PS4 consoles.

He encountered an issue when attempting to test the game at a native 4K resolution on PC, basically the game may not set the correct resolution after you have selected it, it appears that this may not effect everyone but it effected his testing so he postponed the 4K performance testing and focused on 1080p 60 fps.

He considers running Hellblade at 60 fps a game-changer as the animations are smoother and more fluid, and the controls feel more natural to play. The PS4 Pro's 60 fps mode appears to run at around 900p.

The PS4 version runs at settings which are somewhat close to the max settings on offer on the PC.
On the PS4 the shadows appear to be somewhere between the medium and very high presets, the post processing appears to be a notch below on the high preset and the distant view effects also appear to be a notch below which mentions that as "really difficult" to spot. The ambient occlusion also has less coverage compared to the highest on offer on the PC. The PC version offers visual improvements in these areas as well as such as higher resolutions and higher frame-rates.

He starts the PC testing off with a GTX 1060 and then later tests a GTX 1070 and a RX 580.
For the testing he uses two presets, the first of which is a custom setting with everything set to very high expect for post processing effects and view effects which have been reduced to high, offering a slight boost in resolution, frame-rate and graphical quality. He mentions that this preset can deliver a solid 60fps throughout large stretches of the game however it can exhibit dips to the mid or low 50s when there are scenes with a high uses of physics based effects as well as post processing. Dropping down to the high settings and taking hit to shadows and foliage quality brings the performance closer to a solid 60 fps target, however the performance isn't quite there even with these settings.

To hit the consistent 60 fps target post processing and view distance have to be reduced to medium, resulting in more distant pop-in and reducing some of the visual improvements of the PS4.

What Tom found interesting was that even when he reduced to the settings to match the settings the PS4 uses at 900p, the GTX 1060 still had enough "grunt" to exceed the PS4's Pro's performance in the 60 fps mode. His thoughts of this experience is that it's "good enough" if you wanted to hit 60 fps most of the time while tackling console quality.

The GTX 1070 is able to get a perfect 60 fps without compromises and maxes the game out at 1080p.

ISee

Just a note: If you're unsure about the resolution bug, the game is available on Steam for 30€ and if it doesn't work you can refund it without any kind of trouble.

Also this game is beautiful at times, but yes it is quiet demanding.

1440p/max settings said:
hellbladesenuassacrifloscj.jpg

tuxfool

Banned
You can actually choose the resolution you want if you change your desktop resolution and then play in borderless windowed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Kinda surprising how resource intensive the game is. Loving the visual style of the game on the Pro in 30hz mode. I played a few mins with the 60hz mode, smoothness is great but the sacrifice to the visuals is too great in this case imo.

Choice is always good though and I appreciate NT for it.

The DF video said even a GTX Titan Xp can't play this in 4K 60 FPS, so I don't blame them if the game runs like that on PS4/PS4 Pro.

Optimizations need great investments: money,t ime, human ressources and the best way is that the game company develops the engine and has full control of the engine itself.

burgerdog

Just a note: If you're unsure about the resolution bug, the game is available on Steam for 30€ and if it doesn't work you can refund it without any kind of trouble.

Also this game is beautiful at times, but yes it is quiet demanding.

Did you mess with the AA? I do not recall the ps4 pro version looking that jaggy at any time in the game.

NeoRaider

Some ppl on Steam forums are speculating about game using low res textures in 1080p compared to higher resolutions like 1440p/4K. They say that games switches to lower quality renderings in 1080p.

I am not sure is it true but i also noticed that textures look low res in 1080p.

Top Bottom