• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Journey Face-off (PS3/PS4)

Yrael

Looking at the direct comparison, the PS4 version definitely looks much smoother and more fluid...but the PS3 version is slightly prettier.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Dat Cell magic, man, you can't just replicate that stuff with a weak ass CPU.

For real tho, Journey was probably my favorite or second favorite title last gen, this is disappointing to hear. :( I'm not gonna play it anytime soon, is there a chance for a fix?

So this one is another demaster like Prototype I guess

uhg... No for so many reasons :

- still 1080p, 60fps, over 720p and 30 fps
- free if you own it on PS3

nothing like Protoype were framerate was worst and the game had 0 graphical improvements and you still had to buy it full price.

Demaster like Protoype for missing motion blur (is it really needed for a 60 fps game ? what am I reading seriously...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well I'm seeing it as finer grain sand being resolved. It might be worth setting the PS4 to 720p then taking some comparison pics. Don't know what the ps4 does though, does it downsample in games when you do that?
It does downsample, unlike PS3.

I know what you're getting at and I initially thought that too. DoF seems to scale based on resolution and I assumed the same with the sand glitter but, in reality, there are plenty of scenes where the effect is completely absent on PS4 while extremely visible on PS3. The change in resolution wouldn't cause such a dramatic change.

There are other scenes, however, where sand glitter is still visible though in lesser amounts. So it's not completely gone, as I said, but it's reduced all around.

I don't think it necessarily makes the game look worse in and of itself either. I think Journey on PS4 is excellent. I felt that these changes deserved to be mentioned. Journey is kind of an example of "games as art" so I posed the question whether it makes sense to modify the original art.

It's a weird port to discuss since I think those points are valid and interesting YET it's still a solid version of the game in its own right. The higher frame-rate and resolution are much appreciated. I do firmly believe that if the original developers had tackled this project it would have matched the original in all aspects. They put a LOT of time into creating those effects originally and I think it's important to them.

God of War 3 seems like a better port in a way since it duplicates the original experience so successfully while eliminating its flaws. It's only getting bad press as a result of its price (which I can't argue with). Journey, as a cross buy game, is a good value proposition since original owners can just jump into either one for no extra cost.

Demaster like Protoype for missing motion blur (is it really needed for a 60 fps game ? what am I reading seriously...
YES. Motion blur is still needed at 60fps. I do not understand where this idea that you no longer need blur at 60fps came from. You're not going to find a pre-rendered clip (even high frame-rate examples) running without it. I feel it's an important element for delivering a presentation closer to a pre-rendered video. 60fps motion blur looks insanely good when well implemented. I realize not everyone will agree on this point but I will continue to fight for it since I feel it is supremely important.

Look at how nice this looks at 60fps for instance...

https://youtu.be/_fC53l3jGAc?t=49

Remember those amazing Gran Turismo intros? GT3 ran at 60fps as did its pre-rendered intro yet the intro looked dramatically more impressive in motion. Why? It was entirely the result of motion blur added during production of that video.

Agram

Stop this hyperbole! The game is as beautiful as it gets. Play it and enjoy, 60fps adds a lot to the experience.

I understand that these things won't really matter during playing the game, especially if you don't have a direct comparison with the original game. But it is still disappointing that the game's port isn't what the original creator would have deemed complete. In that sense, it is certainly compromised.

How do you know this? While some effects are implemented differently how could you assert with sicurity that the new version wouldn't be the way the creator would have implemented them given the same circumstances and that the way they look on PS3 wasn't only a compromise?

Z3M0G

Fuck... i should not have read this thread before playing. I wouldnt have noticed any of this... now ill likely be looking for it the entire time.

How do you know this? While some effects are implemented differently how could you assert with sicurity that the new version wouldn't be the way the creator would have implemented them given the same circumstances and that the way they look on PS3 wasn't only a compromise?

Because missing effects like motion blur and the advanced sand simulation looked stunning when I played the game on PS3. I can't imagine the developers would want to omit this kind of tech. Seems like a quick and dirty port. Higher res and frame rate but missing effects and worse AA solution.

impact

Banned
uhg... No for so many reasons :

- still 1080p, 60fps, over 720p and 30 fps
- free if you own it on PS3

nothing like Protoype were framerate was worst and the game had 0 graphical improvements and you still had to buy it full price.

Did the Prototype demaster actually remove various graphical effects and downgrade AA though?

EGM1966

Played it through and felt a few things had gone missing. For those who've never played it the game remains superb and the 60fps feels great but it's a shame the specific IQ hasn't been fully replicated.

Guess that Cell/SPU specific code is a bitch to reproduce on PS4?

dark10x

Nah, it's nothing like that. If you take this version of Journey on its own merits, it's a beautiful game that plays very smoothly. It's true that it changes some aspects of the game, which is disappointing, but it doesn't result in a poor experience.

Prototype actually seems to run the same or worse than the original versions plus they're just ugly games in general.

Did the Prototype demaster actually remove various graphical effects and downgrade AA though?

Remove graphical effect ? Motion Blur ? You don't need motion blur in a 60 fps game, it's makes it look worse and cancel the benefit on the 60 fps...
Worst AA ? Weird, because the bump from 720 to 1080 pretty much makes the game even cleaner so not sure what worst AA you mention (but I guess you didn't played either version of the game)

And the Prototype Desmaster played worst on Xbox One than on PS3.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Because missing effects like motion blur and the advanced sand simulation looked stunning when I played the game on PS3. I can't imagine the developers would want to omit this kind of tech. Seems like a quick and dirty port. Higher res and frame rate but missing effects and worse AA solution.

Basically this. It is really unlikely that all these original effects were mere bandaids for PS3 limitations. At most, you could attempt to argue that for motion blur, but not for the rest.

dark10x

Remove graphical effect ? Motion Blur ? You don't need motion blur in a 60 fps game, it's makes it look worse and cancel the benefit on the 60 fps...
Nope, I'm going to disagree with you till I'm blue in the face. Motion blur is even better at 60fps.

Aside from the examples I posted above, one look at something like Tekken Tag 2 in motion says everything. The game looks dramatically more impressive with motion blur enabled. It gives it a CG-like appearance that is otherwise missing.

Vashetti

Banned
Dat Cell magic, man, you can't just replicate that stuff with a weak ass CPU.

For real tho, Journey was probably my favorite or second favorite title last gen, this is disappointing to hear. :( I'm not gonna play it anytime soon, is there a chance for a fix?

So is the Cell more powerful than the PS4's CPU?

Obviously it's a lot more complex to code for, but say the PS4 had the Cell, rather than it's current CPU, would it theoretically be more powerful?

derExperte

Motion blur is always the first thing I turn off on PC and regularly wish I could on consoles too so that's a win in my book by and large (though I haven't seen the resolution changes live) but I understand if someone wishes it was still there. Maybe make it optional combined with a 30fps lock if there's a connection. Sure it's more work but the game deserves/warrants it.

Nope, I'm going to disagree with you till I'm blue in the face. Motion blur is even better at 60fps.

Aside from the examples I posted above, one look at something like Tekken Tag 2 in motion says everything. The game looks dramatically more impressive with motion blur enabled. It gives it a CG-like appearance that is otherwise missing.

Yet this a really different kind of game : in Tekken in the interval between two frames a character can probably make a 180° turn on itself or cover a distance of a quarter of a screen if he/she get thrown. This is quite a slow game with a camera usually pulled away: I doubt a realistic MB at 60 fps would be very noticeable.

Zia

Okay now this is just stupid.

Nothing stupid about being discerning or having respect for authorial intent. Confused, I turned the remaster off after about thirty minutes of play. Looks like my suspicions were right that it's lost a lot of its texture.

The motion blur would be severely toned down to be realistic at 60 fps to the point to probably became irrelevant and I still don't understand what your talking about with advanced sand simulation 'cause the phisics of the sand is pretty much the same.

panda-zebra

sparkly sand looks much nice and far less harsh on ps4. It's not a bad effect on ps3, but side-by-side I prefer the newer version.

Fisty

I would gladly exchange 60fps to get all those missing effects back. Bummer.

Then play on PS3...? Its really not that much of a sacrifice to be frank. Personally i'll take the 60fps. The PS3 version obviously used some quirks of the hardware, and you cant realistically expect them all to perfectly transition over.

Besides, graphics are such a minor component of this experience. Yes i used the word experience.

dark10x

The motion blur would be severely toned down to be realistic at 60 fps to the point to probably became irrelevant and I still don't understand what your talking about with advanced sand simulation 'cause the phisics of the sand is pretty much the same.
I disagree completely. I think it would look absolutely excellent with motion blur. You don't need high speeds to make it work well.

scitek

I wonder if the sand "mirror" effect isn't done on a per-pixel basis or something, and since there are just more pixels now, it appears diminished because they're so much smaller.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I'm 100% with dark on motion blur. Especially at a higher fps. I'll enable that all day, throw in some per object blur and you got ya boy sweatin'.

I think its a damn shame the ps4 version doesn't have it, otherwise it looks like a solid port since they did get it running at 60 fps.

I really hope its just something they overlooked like when Uncharted 3 went gold without per object blur activated. But seeing its missing some other effects, that might not be the case. Here's to hoping a patch gets the missing effects enabled and matching the ps3 version at least.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
So is the Cell more powerful than the PS4's CPU?

Obviously it's a lot more complex to code for, but say the PS4 had the Cell, rather than it's current CPU, would it theoretically be more powerful?
Sorry, I'm no expert, was j/k on that part. But from what little I know, no, PS4's CPU is better overall, but the Cell could still outperform it at some tasks.

ubisoft-cloth-simulation-ps4-vs-ps3.jpg

ramyeon

Nothing stupid about being discerning or having respect for authorial intent. Confused, I turned the remaster off after about thirty minutes of play. Looks like my suspicions were right that it's lost a lot of its texture.
Regardless of how you feel about the missing motion blur and effects like glistening sand, this port in no way looks like shit. That's such an absurd thing to say.

Regardless of the effects, the game is still beautiful and the 60 fps is greatly appreciated. But Journey isn't a game that has me concerned about the graphics, it's the, pardon the pun, journey of the game that is what is important.

Still a great game to play through with a unique multiplayer like no other.

Turned it off because of textures? Oh boy, kinda missing the point of Journey.

c0de

Sorry, I'm no expert, was j/k on that part. But from what little I know, no, PS4's CPU is better overall, but the Cell could still outperform it at some tasks.

ubisoft-cloth-simulation-ps4-vs-ps3.jpg

They are especially different in many ways. Taking a certain “benchmark“ is not representative about the actual differences in design and power between cell and jaguar.

Well that's dissapointing. Worse looking IQ, missing effects - what the hell did they spend all their time doing with this game?

Think i'll skip this Journey.

Don't. Don't skip this journey. You'll regret it.

I genuinely feel sorry for people who would let such an experience pass because there is a lack of some particles in the remaster. Unless you've already played it that is!

I thought the PS4 version looked better, and looking at DF's pictures and video, I still think that.

They're both gorgeous games though.
Its a beautiful game. Visually stunning. I never played it on the PS3... But what I've experienced on my two playthroughs on the PS4, is a fluid and breathtaking game.

Its a shame if the sand shimmer really is less, but motion blur is an effect I prefer to avoid.

score01

Sound like the port was a bit of a mare seeing as it got delayed and took ages. Never think of download PSN as pushing the hardware but Journey PS3 must have had a lot going on under the hood.

OuterLimits

I have played four times so far and an odd thing has happened at the start of stage four in two of the games. Instead of flying on the carpet off into the distance over the wall, the carpet immediately falls off the tower. Granted, the next stage starts anyway, it just looked strange. In two of the games it actually worked right and you character and carpet fly off into the distance.

A couple crashes and music cutting off are other problems I have noticed. Game definitely needs a patch in my opinion.

ike_

Yeah wow, I thought it was a straight upgrade in all areas until I read this. So I flipped on my PS3 to see the difference.

I still much prefer the cleaner look from the PS4 version, no visual effects can make up for the muddy edges around objects at 720p.

What? No, Prototype was worse than the original games by a mile. Journey on PS4 is still beautiful to play and runs better.

Prototype set the bar so low that Satan himself could walk over it without tripping.

What a stupid thing to say impact.

Its a beautiful game. Visually stunning. I never played it on the PS3... But what I've experienced on my two playthroughs on the PS4, is a fluid and breathtaking game.

Its a shame if the sand shimmer really is less, but motion blur is an effect I prefer to avoid.

I just played it last night, the sand shimmer looks great to me, the dusk level where you race sideways through the sand still looks amazing.

Yeah wow, I thought it was a straight upgrade in all areas until I read this. So I flipped on my PS3 to see the difference.

I still much prefer the cleaner look from the PS4 version, no visual effects make up for the muddy edges around objects at 720p.

Same, please don't be put off playing it. All of the emotion is still there.

Look at how nice this looks at 60fps for instance...

This looks pretty damn weird IMO : not only the MB is overdone on the BG but it seems to be completly absent from the car, even when heavily drifting out of camera, from the wheels (that should appear like and indistinguished blur) and the reflection of the BG on the car. The results is that the car looks completly detached, like a cut out

Edit : Rewatching I'm not too sure of my earlier statements. Still it looks somewhat strange to me

Javin98

Banned

I have to agree with this. It's not just Tekken Tag 2, but Tekken 6 as well and the latter enabled 4x MSAA with motion blur disabled on PS3 IIRC. I tried it once and I didn't notice too much of a difference in IQ with the improved AA when fighting, so I switched motion blur on.

Top Bottom