• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Journey Face-off (PS3/PS4)

This. Thank you, so many people complain about the smallest detail possibly being missing or slightly reduced when the experience isn't hindered in anyway whatsoever.

Frustrating that people equate minir graphical effects to their enjoy of the game.

MGS, looks awful by today's standard but I still it enjoy and get the same emotions despite it's graphics.

You're missing the point though. People have a right to be disappointed when a remaster is taking things away from the overall presentation rather than just adding to it. Does it take away from the enjoyment of the game? No, but that's not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to discuss the issues with the remaster for Journey. While it improves upon some aspects, as it should, it also seems to have some shortcomings.

People should be aware of that that are purchasing the game. Good thing there is a choice to play on PS3 or PS4.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The thing that bugs me about this, is that anyone who has strived to get a very specific look when doing something creative knows what huge differences tiny changes can subconsciously have to the impact of a product/image. The angle and intensity of a light source being tweaked four hours to get precisely the right look. Or in the case of Guilty Gear Xrd (for those who didn't see the GDC talk), the insane levels of tweaking they did to make a 3D animation look almost flawlessly 2D. Any compromise would have reduced the final result from "WOW that's incredible and adds to the magic of this game" to "Meh, close. The gameplay/story had better be good." Which is why that effect had never been done so convincingly before, even though by their own admission it could have been achieved years ago. No one had cared to put in that level of care, effort and attention to detail until them.

The original Journey team obviously strived to create an extremely specific and cohesive look too, especially with the sand. It was a massive feature of the game, both graphically and gameplay-wise, and obvious it was VERY important to them that it looked and behaved in exactly the way it did. And as a result of that time and effort, it is one of the first things in the game that captures your imagination before the story kicks in. Who didn't walk around in circles observing and playing with the sand dynamics when they first played the game? We hadn't really seen sand look and behaved this good before in a game. It was clearly a pillar of importance to the original team.

As soon as I saw the side by side comparison video the other day, I knew something was "wrong". It was smoother, sure, and a little crisper, but I wasn't being blown away by a smoother, crisper version of the original vision. I was seeing a smoother, crisper version of a slightly inferior copy. Where care, time and a desire to match or even surpass the original in one if its most unique aspects wasn't there. And my reaction wasn't the "WOW" I was hoping for, but more of a slightly deflated "Oh... That's a little disappointing".

I'll play it and still enjoy it, I'm sure, but I feel a little robbed of the wonder and amazement I could have experienced if they had cared as much (or were as talented... Maybe they did care but just couldn't do it) as the original developers.

I respect this post.

My journey was still beautiful though.

ramyeon

Right...

So if anything this thread is proof that the medium, and many (most?) of the people invested in it are too immature to have an honest conversation about the importance of authorship and preservation. Something other mediums have no issue addressing, even when mistakes have been made with good intentions in mind (see: the recoloring of a classic comic, or questionable subtitles on a Criterion disc).

And it's exacerbated by corporate obsession and the insistence on more, more graphics, more content, no matter the cost to cohesion or intent. It's the wrong message to be sending publishers and really blows for someone like myself that actually cares about the game.
This is an interesting post and probably a good way to get an interesting conversation going. This on the other hand...
Yeah, the remaster looks like shit and after all this time too.
...is not.

KORNdoggy

Seems with the increase in resolution, they increased the resolution of the sand texture that causes the glittering. This finer sand imo looks better. But it does make it look different. To me the only thing i'd like to see back is the motion blur, but heavily reduced compared to the ps3 version. Then it's the better looking version technically and artistically imo.

Pachinko

Sounds like the developers aimed for 60 fps/ 1080p first and then dropped various FX back in until it impacted performance. 720p 30 fps fxaa motion blur trilinear filter > 1080p 60 fps MSAA no blur anisiotropic filtering.

Still sounds like an improvement to me but then I haven't played either version. Perhaps the fx that digital foundry speak of are still there , just toned down ? They've been off before (although not very often).

It's too bad sony couldn't just set up a small in house studio that does nothing but 1080p/60fps-ify ps3 games for both first and second parties and then possibly assists with third party ports too.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm confused as to what this article is mumbling on about. I played this the day it came out and it looked and ran better than on PS3. And, as it was just a simple resolution and framerate boost, it was the right price for me: free.

There it is. The sand grains are thinner when rendered at higher resolution. Who could have guessed?

That really is all it looks like.

Mar Nosso

Banned
After not having played PS3's Journey for at least 1 year, I can honestly say that I did notice how much less shimmering and shiny and alive the sand felt, which was disappointing as it was one of the standouts for me from the original game.

However, PS4's Journey is so fluid and smooth (1080p60) and because of it such a joy to play that I was utterly enthralled by the game, yet again!

It would be lovely if they could add back the original character of the sand, but I'm not so bothered about the motion blur, and as long as they keep it at that eye meltingly good 60 fps.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Same thing with The Last of Us I noticed on the snow level. That glitter was either gone or not even close to being as intense as the PS3 version.

FranXico

Seems with the increase in resolution, they increased the resolution of the sand texture that causes the glittering. This finer sand imo looks better. But it does make it look different. To me the only thing i'd like to see back is the motion blur, but heavily reduced compared to the ps3 version. Then it's the better looking version technically and artistically imo.

I fully agree with this, but there is no way everybody will ever agree on which version looks better, because a lot of people prefer the coarser sand glittering.

Maybe the sand glitter effect started looking different because the exact same technique was applied while rendering the scene at 1080p instead of 720p, and the team porting the game naturally wanted to avoid changing the game engine. Only to now be accused of not adhering to the original vision.

I suspect the backlash of releasing a game running at 720p on the PS4 would be far greater, though.

Fasty

I fully agree with this, but there is no way everybody will ever agree on which version looks better, because a lot of people prefer the coarser sand glittering.

Maybe the sand glitter effect started looking different because the exact same technique was applied while rendering the scene at 1080p instead of 720p, and the team porting the game naturally wanted to avoid changing the game engine. Only to now be accused of not adhering to the original vision.

I suspect the backlash of releasing a game running at 720p on the PS4 would be far greater, though.

Rewatching the video, I do think this could be correct. Maybe the devs handling the port were just stuck between a rock and a hard place here

javac

for those who already played ps3 one...umm its cross-buy (can't remember if there was a retail release)?
I actually picked up the retail copy when it came out :p
0LLSdqH.png

scitek

There it is. The sand grains are thinner when rendered at higher resolution. Who could have guessed?

That's what I was wondering, if the effect wasn't just resolution based, and since there's smaller grains of sand, the effect seems less pronounced as a result.

Im sorry but motion blur in a 60fps game is terrible, no matter what.

32x looks pretty nice even at 120fps in Doom 3.

panda-zebra

Banned
Sure, I haven't played through my PS4 copy yet... but I already know what to expect from it graphically, and outside of 60fps, I already know what to expect from the gameplay due to the PS3 version. It's not like I'm going in blind here.

Well I've seen it first hand and I've also see the video... I wouldn't be judging sparkly pixel effects via a YT video and thinking my conclusions were sound.

thelastword

Banned
I'm confused as to what this article is mumbling on about. I played this the day it came out and it looked and ran better than on PS3..
I believe this article is really nitpicky and that it was the pre-dominant tone, hence you have people saying they won't buy, they will wait for a patch or they will play the PS3 version instead (on this very page).

Let's be clear here, the game is now 1080p, the sand particles are not degraded like the article said, the game is rendering at a higher resolution so the particles look finer. If you want to see coarser particles, then play the game at 720p like the PS3 version, (only this time at 60fps).

I must say at 720p (on the PS3 version), some of the fine detail of the sand bed is lost on account of the lower resolution and the MB. That is when you compare it to the PS4 version. I don't think MB would work great here tbh, not so much for the visual enhancement or lack thereof (which ever argument you favor) but because it would lower the frame rate from 60fps.

As it stands, there are some aspects of the game that looks soft (on the PS4), it could be the PP effects or PP-AA, maybe that's the reason they can't get a proper reading on the rez, but there is some blur. I must also say that I disagree with the article on IQ...despite some blur (NON-MB), it is definitely sharper than the PS3 version in every scene and the aliasing coverage is also superior, the PS4 version is much cleaner jaggie-wise, especially if you inspect the last few minutes of the video where you witness a very jaggy scarf on the PS3 side and very jaggy outlines on a grey bridge in the distance.

It's clear that this game is heavy on physics and many simulations, all those scarfs, wind and sand (sims) are all quite intensive. The SPU's did quite a bit of lifting back then. In certain scenes we can see the game reaching 56fps for a small bit when there's heavy (sand storm like wind) in the mix, adding MB on top of that would definitely cause the game to drop even more frames.

As for MB being added in, the only option would be to offer the game at 30fps/1080p with motion blur. As for the resolution reads, I think DF should really get to the bottom of it. It looks 1080p with a blurring PP-AA method to me, but get a pro on it (Quaz51), for some help on this one.

You're missing the point though. People have a right to be disappointed when a remaster is taking things away from the overall presentation rather than just adding to it. Does it take away from the enjoyment of the game? No, but that's not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to discuss the issues with the remaster for Journey. While it improves upon some aspects, as it should, it also seems to have some shortcomings.

People should be aware of that that are purchasing the game. Good thing there is a choice to play on PS3 or PS4.

Who said it was a remaster?

RedFury

Thought it was an interesting take on the matter. Any word on whether it was an artistic choice or just not a complete 1:1 transition yet?

And if PS4 version launched first:
"The PS3 introduces a distracting shimmering on the sand, breaking the cold flatness that defines the emptiness of the desert. The sand looks coarser and younger as a result, less worn down by time than the PS4 version. The introduction of motion blur, necessary to add fluidity to the lower framerate, obscures the fine details and detaches the player, making it appear as if you're watching something caught on camera rather than being there yourself. The toned down bloom reduces the intensity of the sun and removes some of the sense of its scorching presence. All in all, a commendable port but missing a few of the qualities that made the original PS4 version of Journey the perfect masterpiece it was."

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm not sure who this face-off is for, I guess the summer is slow?

Taken on its own as a standalone product, Journey on PS4 is an immensely polished experience from top to bottom.

Bottom line for anyone who has not played it and maybe had a 360 last gen. Knowing what things differ, no matter how minute is interesting, but should not alter anyone's decision to play it on the platform they own.

That being said, I finished the PS3 version and just played some of the PS4 version and noticed nothing different. I just watched the side by side DF video and again saw nothing different. Lots of "concern" in this thread, but that's expected for a platform exclusive which is highly regarded.

kgtrep

It has been years since I played the PS3 version, so I can't remember the missing effects and what they had added to my experience then.

I just finished playing twice on PS4 and would still recommend this game to anyone who hasn't tried it.

The one thing that I thought looked bizarre is how the snow moves due to wind. It looks as if you're holding a white bed sheet and applying a wave motion.

Synth

Well I've seen it first hand and I've also see the video... I wouldn't be judging sparkly pixel effects via a YT video and thinking my conclusions were sound.

WTF.... I didn't even state any conclusions... I stated how I viewed the differences based on what I've currently seen. I even said I'm going to try it on PS4 regardless (seeing as it's free for me to do so). I don't even get what you're trying to tell me in regards to it being a youtube video... like that's somehow going to change the effects and lack of motion blur...

Youtube is more than sufficient to illustrate the sorts of differences on display here. Hell it's sufficient in most cases to illustrate differences between two current gen multiplat versions. This game isn't going to be some special case where I'm going to load it on my console and suddenly all the effects will suddenly be as apparent.

These are honestly things that the average player will never even notice. Journey looks stunning on PS4 and performs just as well as it looks. New players won't even notice the lack of some minor effects and I bet a lot of returning players won't notice it either. I get that DF articles are like this by nature but using a tear down like this to decide whether or not you purchase is a bit questionable to me, especially considering that the game is cross buy.

it's convinced me not to buy it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm starting to get it now - people seem to want details mentioned but without critique. The point of the article was centered on the changing of source material. It's about preservation. The PS4 port of Journey is TECHNICALLY sound and plays very well, just as I said. The issue is that it differs in a number of ways from the original game. Let's leave console wars stuff on the side.

Anyone skipping this as a result of these changes should be advised against that as well. I suppose that's what makes these discussions difficult. Some people view games like this as nothing more than a product, others take a more passionate view on the artistry, while others still only care about console wars.

Let's be clear here, the game is now 1080p, the sand particles are not degraded like the article said, the game is rendering at a higher resolution so the particles look finer. If you want to see coarser particles, then play the game at 720p like the PS3 version, (only this time at 60fps).
The glittering sand is not a singular effect. A lot of folks seem to be discussing the specular highlights, which do appear to differ as a result of resolution. The specular effects do appear to scale to resolution or at least have been modified. It renders with a finer precision.

The glitter effect I'm referring to isn't even a particle effect. It's what you see in these shots. If you look closely, you can still see similar particles in the PS4 shot - but they are not different as a result of resolution, rather, there is clearly a change in the way they function. Light doesn't play off of the texture surface in the same way. Do you REALLY think that the change in rendering is due to a resolution increase? It's not a matter of size at all here.

In motion, those sand bits are very active on PS3. You can see them glittering as the camera swoops around. The same visual effect just isn't there on PS4. The texture layer may be present but it does not present itself in the same manner. Something was changed. Again, you CAN see a similar effect on PS4, but it is not presented the same and it IS NOT a matter of resolution.

5Q1b.png

You can see it here too.

3Q1b.png

One of the programmers said this about it...

The PS3 is a pretty powerful device, but even it has it's limits, so we had to settle with simulating just 8 million little mirrors (and actually we even grouped those up into sets of 1000). When the journeyer, or a cloth creature, or the wind pushes the sand, we use a physics simulation on the SPUs to move all the little mirrors against each other. So, that's the basic idea, but then taking that mirror texture and using it to create just the right amount of sparkle ended up consuming about 2 months to settle on the 60 lines of shader code that actually render the sand on the PS3's graphics card.

Clearly the implementation of this effect on PS4 is different. Nobody is saying anything bad about the PS4 - this is all the result of changes the port house made to the original implementation. Whether or not it matters is, in fact, a matter of opinion. There are those who don't care if changes are made to a classic film when it's re-released but there are others that certainly do.

That is when you compare it to the PS4 version. I don't think MB would work great here tbh, not so much for the visual enhancement or lack thereof (which ever argument you favor) but because it would lower the frame rate from 60fps.
IF motion blur were possible at a full 60fps (and I'd like to think with some work it could be) I firmly believe it would look better. If adding blur results in frame-rate drops though? I'd understand the need to remove it.

As for the resolution reads, I think DF should really get to the bottom of it. It looks 1080p with a blurring PP-AA method to me, but get a pro on it (Quaz51), for some help on this one.
I don't think that would help. I actually think Faf is right on the money looking back at their other games (which I had not done closely).

They very well could be using a distortion shader on the framebuffer which would explain the weird counts we're getting. The issue is that counting pixels is really only possible along specific edges so we can't just examine any part of the shot (maybe Quaz can?). I think this explains the issue. So could be regular old 1080p with a weird distortion shader in effect. Clever.

That's a surprise

I think I'll just wait and hope that the PS3 version becomes a freebie. I only played a demo of it once and did like it, but I'm not rushing to purchase it.

panda-zebra

Banned
And if PS4 version launched first:
"The PS3 introduces a distracting shimmering on the sand, breaking the cold flatness that defines the emptiness of the desert. The sand looks coarser and younger as a result, less worn down by time than the PS4 version. The introduction of motion blur, necessary to add fluidity to the lower framerate, obscures the fine details and detaches the player, making it appear as if you're watching something caught on camera rather than being there yourself. The toned down bloom reduces the intensity of the sun and removes some of the sense of its scorching presence. All in all, a commendable port but missing a few of the qualities that made the original PS4 version of Journey the perfect masterpiece it was."

perfect.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If you're going to quote comments then the response to THAT comment should be mentioned as well....

But the PS3 version was first and the PS4 version is a port. So the first version made by the original team is how it was meant to look. You can't disregard the flow of time, the point you're making doesn't hold up to any scrutiny. You can't throw a can of paint on the Mona Lisa and then say 'if this vandalised version was first, removing the paint turns it from a critique of feminine exploitation into just some picture of a woman, destorying da Vinci's original intent.' There's the real version and there's the not real version.

One version was made by the original design team. A team that spent a ridiculous amount of time researching and implementing those visual features into the game right up until release. It was very carefully made.

The other version was handled by a completely separate group of people located halfway around the world from the original team. I doubt the original artists were a part of the discussion to make the changes that they did.

orochi91

Disappointing.

Will wait for a patch, and if that's not coming, then the PS+ version.

It's moments like this I wish devs would forego 60fps on these consoles and just settle for eye-candy.

Console gaming should always be about cramming as much visual effects @ 1080p/30fps, at least until the next generation of hardware can handle 60fps (with all the effects enabled).

ramyeon

If you're going to quote comments then the response to THAT comment should be mentioned as well....

One version was made by the original design team. A team that spent a ridiculous amount of time researching and implementing those visual features into the game right up until release. It was very carefully made.

The other version was handled by a completely separate group of people located halfway around the world from the original team. I doubt the original artists were a part of the discussion to make the changes that they did.
There's a lot of assumptions being made about whether the original team had any say in this port. I find it difficult to believe that the original team didn't play the final build and sign off on it before release, especially considering how important the game was to them as an artistic vision.

It's moments like this I wish devs would forego 60fps on these consoles and just settle for eye-candy.

I really don't think the visual changes have anything to do with them aiming for 60fps.

The reduced sand shimmer really is a shame looking at those screenshots more closely, as it's one of the most visually striking aspects about the game especially during the sand-surfing area. I hope they can patch the title to somehow bring it back. I'm not as necessarily concerned about the other visual elements since they look so minor in comparison, but ideally I'd like to see it restored as much as possible. I'm still on the fence about whether or not I like it more with or without motion blur, but I'd like to see the game as the artists ended it (or with options for enabling/disabling effects).

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
What a bummer. Guess my credit stays in my PSN wallet. Maybe a patch soon?

I'm not sure I believe posts like this. I can't fathom such small and subjevtive differences would sway a purchase decision.

I wonder if DF is going to make judgement calls on the artistic vision of the Gears ultimate version. Way more changes to the look and feel.

Just booted up my PS3 version and wtf. There is huge difference in the sand. The PS3 looks much better.

The 60fps and 1080p are great on the ps4 I am just pretty bummed about the sand

Three

At this point I think the developer should just make a 720p30fps motion blur update with an option that perserves the "artistic vision" of the original. I've seen far worse changes in artistic vision when aiming for 60fps in other games, I won't name the game from fear of inciting something.

Top Bottom