• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Let's Play Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch

John and Rich have both played - and captured - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch. Here are the highlights of their playthroughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktFlmH_0CI

Nintendo Switch
-720p and locked 30fps in handheld mode
-900p and 30fps when docked
-Texture filtering is poor
-Frame-rate drops typically seem to happen when there's depth of field on screen
-Lowest recorded frame-rate is 20fps.

KHlover

Banned
900p docked, 720p30 in handheld mode. They call performance in handheld mode "almost locked 30fps".

EDIT: Reaffirmed that "almost locked 30fps" for docked mode as well.

EDIT: One of their two guys only had a single frame-drop in 20min.

Oregano

Wonder what the bottleneck is for this to be 900p where stuff like MK8 and FAST have bumped up to 1080p(although in both cases FAST is sub-native and doing temporal stuff).

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if there will be even slightly differences to the finished version in march in comparison to this demo.

900p docked, 720p30 in handheld mode. They call performance in handheld mode "almost locked 30fps".

EDIT: Reaffirmed that "almost locked 30fps" for docked mode as well.

EDIT: One of their two guys only had a single frame-drop in 20min.

especially if these small drops will be fixed.

gogogow

Is that guy in the video really asking why Zelda docked is running at 900p and MK8 running at 1080p?
Erm.......maybe because Zelda is a huge open world game with tons of physics?

Is "almost locked to 30fps" the same "almost locked at 30fps" as NMS?

in the video they state that throughout the demo that it dropping from 30 fps was the exception, not the rule. It happened for a split second when they did a drop attack to another level during combat, and then they mention that it happens later in the demo when they're running around but that they weren't sure if it wasn't a streaming issue.

Essentially, they haven't touched the modern Wii U version either but they state they really hope it was optimized heavily because it constantly dipped to 20s and below in the demo they played some time back

rokkerkory

It looks pretty great in terms of graphic style. When undocked, it's pretty damn great for a portable. But isn't locked the gpu gets like 2x boost in power or something? Wonder why the 900p when docked.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
30fps is expected since it's a large open world game.

I wonder what the Wii U version will be like? I'm guessing 720p and 30fps with dips.

bomblord1

Banned
Is "almost locked to 30fps" the same "almost locked at 30fps" as NMS?

They each had only one "major" drop when they ran it through their framerate analysis. One when jumping off a ledge and attacking an enemy and the other during a "massive screen filling fiery explosion"

bachikarn

In Laura Dale's video, she actually noticed frame rate drops in the docked version but not in the portable version. However, she notes it could just be random variance and she wasn't in the exact same situation int he portable mode.

styl3s

"substantial upgrade from the wii-u build"

Who said it ran exactly the same? Gamespot? GB? I remember in one thread someone said an outlet even said the wii-u build ran better. I can't wait to see their analysis on the complete game.

I'm guessing we won't see the Wii U version again until launch. If they could hit a stable 720p on Wii U I would certainly buy that version. If not, I am not playing through a choppy mess so I will wait until Switch.

in the video they state that throughout the demo that it dropping from 30 fps was the exception, not the rule. It happened for a split second when they did a drop attack to another level during combat, and then they mention that it happens later in the demo when they're running around but that they weren't sure if it wasn't a streaming issue.

Essentially, they haven't touched the modern Wii U version either but they state they really hope it was optimized heavily because it constantly dipped to 20s and below in the demo they played some time back

They each had only one "major" drop when they ran it through their framerate analysis. One when jumping off a ledge and attacking an enemy and the other during a "massive screen filling fiery explosion"

Thanks!

platina

"slight drop when DOF is present" they should remove the dof.

LONMCF.jpg

Jazzem

Weirdly, the rep at the London event today said it would be running at 1080p at 60fps, which it clearly wasn't at the demo. Think it may have been misinformation, the reps did frequently state the resolutions+frame rates for other games so they are putting emphasis on that.

"substantial upgrade from the wii-u build"

Who said it ran exactly the same? Gamespot? GB? I remember in one thread someone said an outlet even said the wii-u build ran better. I can't wait to see their analysis on the complete game.
That means something different than the Switch version actually being compared to the Wii U version. That was just an old build of the game that happened to be running on the Wii U.

Won't be able to make accurate comparisons until launch, unless Nintendo wants to let people play the Wii U version before then.

Also, Wii U version has gamepad support, right? That's a plus.

That means something different than the Switch version actually being compared to the Wii U version. That was just an old build of the game that happened to be running on the Wii U.

Won't be able to make accurate comparisons until launch, unless Nintendo wants to let people play the Wii U version before then.

Also, Wii U version has gamepad support, right? That's a plus.

No, it does not.

Top Bottom