• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Next gen game broadcasting

Curufinwe

Xbox One's media-sharing offers more option but still fundamentally falls short in comparison to Sony's offering. Yes, there's the same lack of direct access to your clips that proves so frustrating with PS4, but that's way down the list of issues we have with the current system. Accessing the GameDVR while playing is too slow and ponderous in comparison to the PS4's more refined interface, while five minutes of spooled gameplay isn't really enough. Even saving off clips is a grind, with gameplay held up while you wait.

It's difficult to ignore the sense of friction in the whole process when it's virtually instant on the Sony platform. This could perhaps be forgiven to a certain extent if we saw any kind of quality advantage in the final video on Xbox One, but the mediocre state of our SkyDrive exports was disappointing. At best, we're looking at YouTube quality here when PlayStation 4 simply looks better without appreciably larger file sizes. Lack of screenshot functionality on Xbox One is also a missed opportunity, while the no-show at launch of Twitch live-streaming from a system that bases so much of its appeal on its media credentials is genuinely baffling. That said, the additional editing options of Upload Studio are interesting - just a little half-baked.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-next-gen-game-broadcasting-tech-analysis

ReaperXL7

Doesn't Sony have video editing software out there for PC? Would it be impossible for them to implement that into the share functionality?

Grillex

Banned
I prefer the xb1 version solely because the file can be pulled out of my sky drive and easily used other places.

Quasar

Those bitrate options. I wonder if that's a technical limitation of their compression hardware or simply them aiming at folks with lower upstream bandwidth.

Does twitch have any limits in terms of the stream they accept?

ReaperXL7

they have Sony Vegas which is one of the best video editing programmes out there

Sure. The Vegas software.

Thats what I thought, and I remember hearing that it was pretty good.

I wonder if it would be possible for them to release that, or implement it into the PS4s share functionality. Seems like it would be an easy way to make editing videos even better and by using software that already belongs to them.

jsip

Banned
Both need a lot of work. PS4 only works properly if you tell it to start recording.

False. No issues with the DVR with any game other than BF4, which DICE has been patching very slowly. all of my games record just fine. The recordings aren't saved until you hit the Share button. So if you just play and quit - you will see nothing. Like what you just did? Hit share and the last 15 minutes are there, menu screens and all.

Hitting the PS button will stop a recording, too. So bouncing from game to UI will cut your recorded time. It works as it was explained to work.

DBT85

Sony don't need to make that many changes to sharing to make it an excellent feature.

Save to HDD/USB, fix the bug where sometimes people don't get the bit they want (not had that myself), allow uploads to youtube and flickr and stuff.

Twitch is amazing. Had a couple of friends over checking out the PS4 and everyone was blown away by how I could just pause a game and put on a stream of somebody playing need for speed rivals half way around the world, and then get back to the game as it were.

BibiMaghoo

False. No issues with the DVR with any game other than BF4, which DICE has been patching very slowly. all of my games record just fine. The recordings aren't saved until you hit the Share button. So if you just play and quit - you will see nothing. Like what you just did? Hit share and the last 15 minutes are there, menu screens and all.

Hitting the PS button will stop a recording, too. So bouncing from game to UI will cut your recorded time. It works as it was explained to work.

So I understand this correctly, you hit share once and it asks you if you want to upload or stream right? If I go to upload, there is no previous 15 minutes unless I have already 'double tapped' to start it. It seems to record random stuff, for example, a 15 second clip of me dying in KZ and the following spawn screen. Mine does not work like you say yours does.

NekoFever

False.

It's happened to me and others on numerous occasions that you hit the button to save the last 15 minutes and then when you go back and edit it later it's saved some random 15 minutes from earlier in the session. Not restricted to BF4 either.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
here's the conclusion, OP:

Clearly it's early days - there's much to come from Sony and Microsoft. PlayStation 4 has a solid base on which to build on: video sharing works well on Facebook, there's support for two different live-streaming services, and the whole process of recording and uploading video is very discreet - completely unobtrusive in comparison to Xbox One's stop-start system, which is in dire need of streamlining. The surprise package here is Nvidia's ShadowPlay. The firm has been sitting on a hugely impressive hardware video encoder since the Kepler launch way back in March 2012 and has only now chosen to unleash it. Again, it's not without its faults, but once they're ironed out, we could well be looking at the most impressive integrated capture system on the market.

maybe you had trouble finding it? it was at the bottom.

King_Moc

Banned
Yesterday, the PS4 missed a bit on Battlefield when i was on a machine gun on the back of a train, and TWO helicopters flew at me at ground level and i shot the fuck out of both of them. Them a tank drove through the carnage and blew me up. It missed that. What the hell? I pressed share, but also did another a few minutes later, but this bit seems to have been missed in between the two videos that i got saved.

S0N0S

Those bitrate options. I wonder if that's a technical limitation of their compression hardware or simply them aiming at folks with lower upstream bandwidth.

Does twitch have any limits in terms of the stream they accept?

As long as you meet the broadcast requirements, there are no limits on video bitrate. However, keep in mind not everyone will be able to watch high bitrate streams without issue, so I would not recommend anyone to go above a 2.5-3.5Mbps video bitrate unless partnered. Partners get transcoding(High, Med, Low options), which means you're less likely to turn off/away some viewers because their connection isn't good enough to watch your stream.

DBT85

So I understand this correctly, you hit share once and it asks you if you want to upload or stream right? If I go to upload, there is no previous 15 minutes unless I have already 'double tapped' to start it. It seems to record random stuff, for example, a 15 second clip of me dying in KZ and the following spawn screen. Mine does not work like you say yours does.

No.

On mine when I hit the Share button it saves out the last 15 minutes, or however long it was recording, and gives you the three options, upload video, screen and stream. You thne navigate to the video and find it, trim it and upload.

Double tapping the share button just specifically starts a brand new record at that time. EG when you know you are about to do something cool like a speed run or a demo of a level or something.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It doesn't always work like it's supposed to. I was playing Warframe the other day and wanted to share a video of the mission I had just finished, but it wasn't there. The only video of the game was from a much earlier point. It usually works well though, just not always.

1blfp.jpg

That's just sad, what were they thinking?

Even saving off clips is a grind, with gameplay held up while you wait.

This is not true? I just switch focus to the game while Game DVR saves the clip.

Didn't know PS4 is streaming at 960x540 max. Isn't that the Vita screen resolution?

I seem to recall that during the console reveals, this kind of functionality was touted as revolutionary.

It's a bit jarring to see how quickly the novelty has worn off.

jsip

Banned

False.

It's happened to me and others on numerous occasions that you hit the button to save the last 15 minutes and then when you go back and edit it later it's saved some random 15 minutes from earlier in the session. Not restricted to BF4 either.

Then I dont know what to tell you guys. The only game Ive experienced issues with is BF4. I haven't played KZ, yet, so... It works for everything else Ive played. Pressing share, coming back to game, hitting it again a bit later, now I have 2 game clips X length. Screenshots are fine, etc.

Maybe some people have had issues and others not? How it works is not "false" since it works the way it was intended to work, issues aside. Some people have issues but those are "issues" and not to be confused with design intent.

If its widespread then Sony needs to fix it fast, though I have to question why it works well for game A vs game B. Makes me think it is game-related and not DVR related.

Kinthalis

Banned
I seem to recall that during the console reveals, this kind of functionality was touted as revolutionary.

Lol at revolutionary. It's not like this has been possible on PC for the past half a decade or anything.

Even on last gen consoles you could do this, just with an add-on or a PC capture card.

Izayoi

Banned
False.

Never happened to me in any of the games I've tested it with (CoD, Resogun, AC4, Killzone, and even BF4), for what it's worth. I always get the last fifteen minutes of gameplay.

http://abload.de/img/1blfp.jpg[img]

That's just sad, what were they thinking?[/QUOTE]
Looks much better when I stream it. Perhaps there is some kind of dynamic quality adjustment happening to compensate for connection speed?

DBT85

My twitter feed is full of people sharing clips and screens every day. And the two small ones posted I on FB, both for Resogun, got a bunch of comments from friends who don't yet have a PS4 but want one.

https://twitter.com/search?q=#'ps4share&src=typd&f=realtime is just the screens being shared on twitter.

Phreaker

I prefer the xb1 version solely because the file can be pulled out of my sky drive and easily used other places.

I also really like having the clips associated with my profile. It's fun to watch other friend's clips be it of cool stuff in BF4 or an excellent match of Killer Instinct.

I agree about the lack of screenshot functionality though on Xbox, also the complete lack of streaming.

satam55

Banned
Doesn't Sony have video editing software out there for PC? Would it be impossible for them to implement that into the share functionality?

they have Sony Vegas which is one of the best video editing programmes out there

Sure. The Vegas software.

Yeah, they have a whole suite of software with Vegas, Movie Studio, and Imagine Studio.

Thats what I thought, and I remember hearing that it was pretty good.

I wonder if it would be possible for them to release that, or implement it into the PS4s share functionality. Seems like it would be an easy way to make editing videos even better and by using software that already belongs to them.

Yeah, but it's only for Windows, which is highly annoying.

Fucking bonehead decision.

You would think Sony would integrate all their services & software from their Xperia Smartphone/tablets, Vaio PCs, Bravia TVs, Sony Creative Software, Sony Mobile, & etc into the PS4, like Microsoft is doing with the Xbox1.

The PS4 should have a streamlined version of "Sony Vegas Movie Studio" integrated in the PS4 for editing videos. The PS4 should also have a Walkman app for local media playback.

What other Sony services & software would y'all like integrated into the PS4?

UnrealEck

'This leaves PlayStation 4 in the clear as the only gaming platform to fully integrate live-streaming at a hardware level.'
Aren't capture cards hardware encoders?

'there are no functions for adding audio commentary.'
There are in the latest beta build.

Namikaze1

False.

For me personally, this has only happened with Battlefield 4. Recording works fine with AC4, KZ:SF, and Resogun but every single time I hit the share button while playing BF4, it records the last 9-15 minutes of either single player or the previous conquest match. Not once did it ever record what I wanted to record in that game.

JaggedSac

I think MS made a good choice in creating their own infrastructure for housing their game videos. They need Twitch streaming asap, not because I will use it, but because it is apparently the next big thing. XBox Record That works plenty fine for my needs, I don't foresee myself plopping an entire match on their or doing any trimming. But that's just me. Quality settings should certainly be available, especially for files uploaded to my own SkyDrive. But it is certainly nice to be able to save it and link to it on forums quickly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lol at revolutionary. It's not like this has been possible on PC for the past half a decade or anything.

Even on last gen consoles you could do this, just with an add-on or a PC capture card.

You don't think that putting the ability for everyone to instantly stream, with a dedicated button, is wow? Putting it in the hands of so many - rather than those that know how to set up capture equipment (or do it directly on PC with fraps etc) is a big deal.

timlot

Banned
I don't understand the live streaming stuff. When a few thousand people are doing it. Its cool. When millions are doing it. Nobody is watching. Most of the PS4 streams I've watched on twitch have less than 5 people watching.

DBT85

I don't understand the live streaming stuff. When a few thousand people are doing it. Its cool. When millions are doing it. Nobody is watching. Most of the PS4 streams I've watched on twitch have less than 5 people watching.

Because it's new, in time streamers will stand out for whatever reason just like YouTubers do.

Also for the PS4, the game streaming ties directly into their thing about allowing me to control your game to help you out from elsewhere.

Serdal

Neo Member
1blfp.jpg

That's just sad, what were they thinking?

On best quality it's actually quite a bit better looking in motion (from the DL files in the article). It just has unbelievable problems with scene changes and well.. any action between key frames.

Also the encoder is actually pretty good. They just need much more bitrate, since that 1.5mbps is not actually average, it's the high end of it, it floats around 800kbps-1mbps. They just need to have 3-5mbps, i.e. sort of the same stream they feed of to vita, and it'll be golden.

A lot of my issues with PS4's share stuff (beyond the compression and the fact that sometimes it just plain does not work) is the lack of decent sharing and archiving options for right now.

It really needed better than it got at launch to make that "OMG this is so cool" feeling.

What if it were 5 friends watching a dude stream his game.

Serdal

Neo Member
What if it were 5 friends watching a dude stream his game.

Yup it all depends on what the goal is, millions of people wont stream, that's quite proven by the number of PS4 streams. But on the other hand you can stream to 5 people and have a nice chat with them. Because when you have thousands of viewers, it's actually no longer a hobby, but a job, since a) you get paid b) it;s nearly impossible to have a conversation with a random stranger e.t.c.

So when you just stream fo fun, having 5 viewers is not bad, especially if they actually care. Or it might be a way for socializing for "forever alone" people, that actually can land them some contacts, so I don't see any problem with it. It's the same thing as when I play something alone, I usually put up a stream of someone / podcast / TV or some other form of talking heads, just to have some background noise with a chance of something interesting. Same thing, just the other way.

At least that's my take on it.

Elvick

Banned
I hope Sony add in some more options for exporting/sharing soon. Editing options, I don't personally need since I don't think I'll use sharing for anything other than screens, but they definitely are needed.

Yup it all depends on what the goal is, millions of people wont stream, that's quite proven by the number of PS4 streams. But on the other hand you can stream to 5 people and have a nice chat with them. Because when you have thousands of viewers, it's actually no longer a hobby, but a job, since a) you get paid b) it;s nearly impossible to have a conversation with a random stranger e.t.c.

So when you just stream fo fun, having 5 viewers is not bad, especially if they actually care. Or it might be a way for socializing for "forever alone" people, that actually can land them some contacts, so I don't see any problem with it. It's the same thing as when I play something alone, I usually put up a stream of someone / podcast / TV or some other form of talking heads, just to have some background noise with a chance of something interesting. Same thing, just the other way.

At least that's my take on it.
I agree. I like the solid lower viewer streams anyway, since then you can actually get to interaction. And it's not a battle of copy/paste messages trying to be noticed in the chat.

I like when the broadcaster can actually read every comment and reply.

nib95

Banned

You can watch your friends or online buddies stream, ask a question about a game and have it immediately answered via the stream, or follow popular people playing live. For example, I watched Angry Joe play through several games on the PS4. It's a unique and wonderful thing being able to watch, live, in person the very play through that a journalist is using to base his review for a game on.

Less views is sometimes actually better too, as you can actually have a convo or have your messages seen. Otherwise comments just get lost in a sea that keep coming in every second.

sangreal

This is not true? I just switch focus to the game while Game DVR saves the clip.

Yes, they're full of shit on that one. You don't have to wait for gamedvr to save your clip

Also, they state as a fact that "five minutes of spooled gameplay isn't really enough". For what, exactly? Sure, more is always better, but other than professional videos like walkthroughs or let's plays which should be done with dedicated hardware anyway I can't think of any reason I would need more than 5 minutes. I've only even recorded 5 minutes once, and then trimmed that down to 45 seconds. They don't provide any use cases to support their statement

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Half-decade?

I'm pretty sure I was hooking up my consoles to my PC for recording purposes in high school over 12 years ago.

I still think these features are cool for light users who don't want to invest extra money into capture equipment specifically, but you should expect that they're not good enough to replace dedicated solutions for hobbyists for a number of reasons.

Top Bottom