• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Perfomance of Dying Light [PS4 1080p/XO 1080pr]

Pandy

Was in an EB Games today and the guy in front of me wanted a Xbone copy of the game. I guess the guy working the register was the manager and he is well known for loving his Playstation while hating all things Xbox. Long story short, he told the guy that the "Xbawx" version hardly ran at all whilst constantly hitting 15-20 frames max, loves to locks up, on top of looking like a last gen game. All while the PS4 version was a smooth 60 frame next gen experience. My girlfriend was with me so I decided not to challenge the guy but come on people.
Just, wow.

Are you sure he doesn't get extra commission on PS sales? Because I find that behaviour virtually inexplicable if not.

FeiRR

Banned
Just, wow.

Are you sure he doesn't get extra commission on PS sales? Because I find that behaviour virtually inexplicable if not.
If every platform warrior was paid for their preaching, GAF would be full of yacht owners.

tuxfool

Banned
But should it have been or rather can it be deduced as the reason for xbone version of certain games having AF unlike its ps4 counterpart?

No. Because equivalent PC graphics cards handle 16X AF pretty well. People have to stop looking at the ESRAM as anything other than a kludge.

Yukiari

Was in an EB Games today and the guy in front of me wanted a Xbone copy of the game. I guess the guy working the register was the manager and he is well known for loving his Playstation while hating all things Xbox. Long story short, he told the guy that the "Xbawx" version hardly ran at all whilst constantly hitting 15-20 frames max, loves to locks up, on top of looking like a last gen game. All while the PS4 version was a smooth 60 frame next gen experience. My girlfriend was with me so I decided not to challenge the guy but come on people.

My GS is the opposite. The guy there is a huge xbox fan and tells people they're practically the same system but the One is stronger. He knows what he's talking about because he runs his own private software company.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
But should it have been or rather can it be deduced as the reason for xbone version of certain games having AF unlike its ps4 counterpart?
I think the split memory pool can be advantageous in that scenario.

-griffy-

Banned
Question is whether the lack of ESRAM in PS4 hurting its AF possibilities?

No, I don't think that would have anything to do with it. I don't think there's any evidence to suggest the PS4 has hardware or software problems preventing implementation of AF. There are, what, three games (Strider, Thief and Dying Light) that have AF on XBO and don't on PS4? Seems far more likely developer negligence or a bug than anything to do with the PS4 itself, considering there are numerous titles on the system that have AF, or have identical AF levels on XBO and PS4. Someone pointed out Driveclub, but that shouldn't be singled out considering both Forza games on XBO have AF levels just as bad. There are numerous titles on XBO that have poor or no AF. AF has traditionally been a lacking feature on console games for several generations, and it continues to be a low priority today on both PS4 and XBO.

The continued talking point of the PS4 having an issue with AF seems misguided at best.

Respawn

Banned
No, I don't think that would have anything to do with it. I don't think there's any evidence to suggest the PS4 has hardware or software problems preventing implementation of AF. There are, what, three games (Strider, Thief and Dying Light) that have AF on XBO and don't on PS4? Seems far more likely developer negligence or a bug than anything to do with the PS4 itself, considering there are numerous titles on the system that have AF, or have identical AF levels on XBO and PS4. Someone pointed out Driveclub, but that shouldn't be singled out considering both Forza games on XBO have AF levels just as bad. There are numerous titles on XBO that have poor or no AF. AF has traditionally been a lacking feature on console games for several generations, and it continues to be a low priority today on both PS4 and XBO.

The continued talking point of the PS4 having an issue with AF seems misguided at best.
Pretty much sums it up

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
-griffy- said:
AF has traditionally been a lacking feature on console games for several generations
I don't think it's exactly console exclusive - it's just something that doesn't get much attention on any platform period.
Most PC games ship with low/no AF levels out of the box and either expect user to force them in driver or provide global-option overrides in-game - which like driver - are just applying one setting to everything - and that kind of approach just don't make sense on a console very often.

-griffy-

Banned
But first party games have AF problems too.
And its one toggle in an engine, it doesnt require work to turn it on.

First party/exclusive games on XBO have "AF problems" too then.
ibnA8IhURvdqbD.jpg

ibbgyfLFDcL2wY.jpeg

Must be some conspiracy or hardware issue causing it. What is Microsoft hiding? Or perhaps it's just a feature that is comparatively seen as less "needed" to console devs, and perhaps taxes consoles harder than PC due to the way memory is used, and therefore is often simply left out. The fact is the number of games on both platforms with identical AF dwarfs the number where XBO has it and PS4 doesn't. There are frankly more games on both platforms with disappointingly low levels of AF, both first and third party. It's nothing unique to the PS4.

I don't think it's exactly console exclusive - it's just something that doesn't get much attention on any platform period.
Most PC games ship with low/no AF levels out of the box and either expect user to force them in driver or provide global-option overrides in-game - which like driver - are just applying one setting to everything - and that kind of approach just don't make sense on a console very often.

Most every (competent) PC game these days ships with a simple AF setting in their video options at least.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I remember getting mocked at the Gamestop I went to in college because I bought MW2 on PS3 instead of 360. They pestered this one kid so much about it he apologized for getting it on PS3.

That same place tried to convince me that the 360 version of Killzone 2 was going to be way better -_-

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
-griffy- said:
Most every (competent) PC game these days ships with a simple AF setting in their video options at least.
One global setting that usually works pretty much like the driver override. Ie. there's no special care (or competence) involved in providing this for most cases (of course to be fair, with PC expectations that user is responsible for performance tweaking, it's an expected treatment).

I remember in the early days of PS3 a Gamestop clerk told me I shouldn't buy it because Sony was about to go out of business from bad PS3 sales and sell the PS3 to Microsoft who would turn them into Xboxes

I shit you not

mrklaw

MrArseFace

No. The esram in the xbox is still slower than the ram in PS4, so PS4 can fetch from anywhere in its 5Gb ish addressable memory. Xbox is unlikely to be able to store all necessary textures in the esram for the AF, so it will be fetching from the much slower main ram.

If xbox is doing AF then PS4 should be able to as well. For the same resolution. I wonder if that is the difference? Are decelopers so close to the edge at 1080p/30 on PS4 that they can't do AF without dropping some frames? On the face of it, with some games running at 45fps you wouldn't think so, but maybe pressure to run at 1080p on PS4 requires compromise?

-griffy-

Banned
But U4 demo had lower level of AF too, like 4 at best.

Both DriveClub and Killzone have lower level of AF. Infamous seems to has around 4x too.

U4 gameplay demo looked to have good AF, better than most console games. Killzone and Infamous don't have great AF. What's your point exactly? That's normal across all console games on either platform, including exclusives on XBO like Forza 5 and Horizons 2. The Last of Us: Remastered has something like 8x or 16xAF. Ryse has decent texture filtering. Far Cry 4 and Shadow of Mordor have decent texture filtering on both platforms. COD:Advanced Warfare and GTAV have mediocre texture filtering on both platforms.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sorry but how a unified memory should be a disadvantage in the AF?
I'm not trying to say there is anything inherent in unified memory that makes it a disadvantage.

I'm saying that the PS4 might have a disadvantage in AF versus a hypothetical split-memory system due to the way that the buses affect each other.

KKRT00

U4 gameplay demo looked to have good AF, better than most console games. Killzone and Infamous don't have great AF. What's your point exactly? That's normal across all console games on either platform, including exclusives on XBO like Forza 5 and Horizons 2. The Last of Us: Remastered has something like 8x or 16xAF. Ryse has decent texture filtering. Far Cry 4 and Shadow of Mordor have decent texture filtering on both platforms. COD:Advanced Warfare and GTAV have mediocre texture filtering on both platforms.

Point is that PS4 problem with AF is not SDK problem or lazy developers problem, but bandwidth related problem. Some devs prioritize AF, some dont, thats about it.

omonimo

Banned
Point is that PS4 problem with AF is not SDK problem or lazy developer sproblem, but bandwidth related problem. Some devs prioritize AF, some dont, thats about it.
I don't think there is an unique explanation. Could just depend to how work some engine. Most of the games with AF problems on ps4 aren't exactly that well optimized.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Both DriveClub and Killzone have lower level of AF. Infamous seems to has around 4x too.
All those games have around 4XAF. I wouldn't call that a problem. You probably lose 2-3FPS with 8x or 16x jump on this class of hardware, and you don't want that in games over a relatively non-appreciable effect increase.

This game apparently has no AF, which is a bit weird and a problem, especially if a machine where they had to do other cutbacks and settle for lower performance, could afford it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

--

Could you maybe link me to a proper comparison of AF levels? I just got a new laptop and have been experimenting with it but I can't see any difference between 2x, 4x, or 8x. The jump from none to 2x is noticeable and 16x is noticeable but the in between settings all seem very close. I want to know what to look for.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
But You dont lose 2-3fps on PC.
Compared to noAF, you do, at least judging by some chart that everyone keeps posting (GF560, I think, and 8x was where some visible drop-off would start).

Or maybe not, I don't know. I mean in some cases it HAS to be some developer/SDK omission. Strider looked pretty much crap, and had absolutely no AF on the only surface (floor) where you could see that it's missing. I find it literally impossible to believe that PS4 could do nice looking AF in something like Far Cy 4 and couldn't at all in Strider, of all things...

nynt9

People trying to turn PS4 not having AF in some multiplat games into a "narrative" is hilarious. Especially considering some PS4 multiplats have better AF.

There is no narrative here guys. Different SDKs for different platforms and different optimizations to meet different performance targets on different systems.

Marlenus

Point is that PS4 problem with AF is not SDK problem or lazy developers problem, but bandwidth related problem. Some devs prioritize AF, some dont, thats about it.

Wrong.

PS4 has plenty of bandwidth. Heck if a shitty 560 with 128GB/s can do 16xAF with barely a 1 FPS drop in performance the PS4 can do it.

If it is not an SKD issue, and we know it is not a hardware issue the only thing left to blame are the devs.

omonimo

Banned
People trying to turn PS4 not having AF in some multiplat games into a "narrative" is hilarious. Especially considering some PS4 multiplats have better AF.

There is no narrative here guys. Different SDKs for different platforms and different optimizations to meet different performance targets on different systems.
That's my though too. Especially all considered most of the games with AF problems coming from developers who aren't exactly famous to be the best coders in the market.

impact

Banned
jesus Xbone is closer to a 4:3 res than 16:9 :lol :lol :lol

they say the resolution doesn't make much difference due to all the filters used.
I didn't watch the entire video but it seems like frame rate drops are minor on xbox and only happen during cut scenes. Seems to hold up fine when youre in control. The lack of texture filtering on the ps4 is super shitty. Seems to be a pick your poison situations, slightly smoother overall or slightly more detailed.

Reading all of your posts puts a smile on my face =)

KKRT00

Could you maybe link me to a proper comparison of AF levels? I just got a new laptop and have been experimenting with it but I can't see any difference between 2x, 4x, or 8x. The jump from none to 2x is noticeable and 16x is noticeable but the in between settings all seem very close. I want to know what to look for.

There is barely any difference between 8x and 16x, but there is big difference between 4x and 8x.

-----
Compared to noAF, you do, at least judging by some chart that everyone keeps posting (GF560, I think, and 8x was where some visible drop-off would start).
I just checked in Crysis 3. I got maybe 1 fps difference at best between 1x and 16x with fps going from 93 to 97.
BF 3 would be better for testing, but dont have it installed.

Wow.

Reminds me of a time (about ten years ago) when I saw three Gamestop clerks make fun of a customer for wanting a PS2 instead of an Xbox. "Terrible graphics! -- Here, take this memory card and network adapter since you'll need it! You wouldn't need those add-ons if you got an Xbox! Not a smart decision at all dude..."

Really disgusting. It's either making fun of something a customer wants (thus turning him/her away from ever wanting to come back to the store), trying to sound like a "gaming expert" but saying straight up lies, or both.

The worst part about it was the guy shrank back a little bit and muttered that he would get it when he got his Playstation. I was a little heartbroken for the poor guy. I really wanted to pull him aside but he kinda floated out of the store before I could say anything.

Just, wow.

I think he's just an insane fanboy. I remember going into the store last fall before the consoles launched and putting 50$ down on an Xbox One. He harassed me the entire time and just kept talking about all of the wonderful things the PS4 could do while maligning the Xbox. I told him that I was going to get a Playstation before the Holidays but I was too far gone in his eyes at that point.

My GS is the opposite. The guy there is a huge xbox fan and tells people they're practically the same system but the One is stronger. He knows what he's talking about because he runs his own private software company.

I would pay theatrical ticket pricing to see these two work the same register during the Holiday season.

I remember getting mocked at the Gamestop I went to in college because I bought MW2 on PS3 instead of 360. They pestered this one kid so much about it he apologized for getting it on PS3.

That same place tried to convince me that the 360 version of Killzone 2 was going to be way better -_-

I get that passionate fans of each console flock to work at Gamestop and EB because of their love for a brand but this benefits nobody. Everyone wants to validate their purchase and that just creates an environment that I don't want to be a part of. It's bad enough to be harassed with pre-orders and upselss whenever you go into one of their stores, it's even worse when they throw the 3$ guarantee on without telling you. It's unneeded and unfortunate.

Three

they say the resolution doesn't make much difference due to all the filters used.
I didn't watch the entire video but it seems like frame rate drops are minor on xbox and only happen during cut scenes. Seems to hold up fine when youre in control. The lack of texture filtering on the ps4 is super shitty. Seems to be a pick your poison situations, slightly smoother overall or slightly more detailed.

This post is so blatantly obvious it's not even funny anymore. No the XB1 version does not hold up fine when you're in control. It drops into mid twenties with middle of the display screentearing. Run into a place with foliage and watch the framerate tank with severe screentear. Did you not watch the first few minutes of the video or something?

Melchiah

No. The esram in the xbox is still slower than the ram in PS4, so PS4 can fetch from anywhere in its 5Gb ish addressable memory. Xbox is unlikely to be able to store all necessary textures in the esram for the AF, so it will be fetching from the much slower main ram.

If xbox is doing AF then PS4 should be able to as well. For the same resolution. I wonder if that is the difference? Are decelopers so close to the edge at 1080p/30 on PS4 that they can't do AF without dropping some frames? On the face of it, with some games running at 45fps you wouldn't think so, but maybe pressure to run at 1080p on PS4 requires compromise?

That still doesn't explain the lack of AF in something like Strider, which most likely didn't task the system as much as Thief and this.

nynt9

Quite a far cry from something that was supposed to be 1080p60fps, especially on X1.

Well the game used to be cross gen but then turned to new gen only so I assume significant improvements were made to the engine which increased its demands on the hardware

kitch9

Banned
That still doesn't explain the lack of AF in something like Strider, which most likely didn't task the system as much as Thief and this.

I assume AF being something that can be instantly switched off is attractive to a development team who's currently crunching at 10pm on a Sunday evening to hit an up and coming deadline and needs to find a couple of FPS somewhere and quick.

I would say only around 1% of a console userbase even knows what AF is.

Top Bottom