• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Perfomance of Dying Light [PS4 1080p/XO 1080pr]

abadguy

Banned
But, but, XBO has 2% faster CPU and all the fanboys are claiming than open world games run better in XBO
just because was the case 2 games out of 150
. How is this thing possible? I'm confussed.
Not really

Just shit posting right out of the gate i see.

Javin98

Banned
Hmm, then I wonder why there are so many PS4 games that don't use it/don't use it enough? So strange.
I think it's confirmed by now that games running on Unreal Engine are having problems with AF on PS4 for some unknown reasons. Other engines don't seem to have this problem at all

Journey

Banned
I think it's confirmed by now that games running on Unreal Engine are having problems with AF on PS4 for some unknown reasons. Other engines don't seem to have this problem at all

What about Dying Light? Something's up and we would like an answer.

Does Blacklight Retribution (that f2p fps) have AF on PS4? That is also UE3.

I really do not think it is engine specific. A lot of other games have low AF and arent UE.

ypo

When you get 200,000 more pixels and a resolution that scales much better with displays, why would you assume it was done strictly for PR?

Looking at the witcher 3 thread, apparently Xbox owners can't tell the difference between 1080p and 900p so what's the point of 1080pr?

Piggus

What the hell did Techland think was in the Xbone when they said they were aiming for 1080p/60fps? Sounds like they were being consulted by MisterX.

Majanew

Banned
When you get 200,000 more pixels and a resolution that scales much better with displays, why would you assume it was done strictly for PR?

Because the horizontal number 1920 isn't used; it's always referred to as 1080p. Which means that allows Dying Light on Xbox One to be called 1080p. Hence, 1080pr.

What the hell did Techland think was in the Xbone when they said they were aiming for 1080p/60fps? Sounds like they were being consulted by MisterX.

Techland could have easily gotten the game at 1080p/60fps. The game would have just received graphical downgrades Techland were not wanting.

Lynn616

Because the horizontal number 1920 isn't used; it's always referred to as 1080p. Which means that allows Dying Light on Xbox One to be called 1080p. Hence, 1080pr.

Horizontal number isnt used in what? Did the developer or Microsoft promote the Xbox version as 1080p?

Hoje0308

Banned
If he were to have chosen the word fanboy, he would get ridiculed like that other junior. Schools don't teach PC.

Restraint isn't his strong suit, so I feel inclined to take him at his word. Speaking of which:

Damn what a turd of a company. People still doubting this company is trying to enforce performance parity as well?

And you would've been a dumbass of a douche teacher to say that to anyone with an A. There's no point in saying that.

That's BS. Just Got BF4 PS4 due to the big sale and I'm finding spotting distant enemies to be a pain. Had to constantly spam the mark the enemy button. And that's just 1080p vs 900p. I guess when you are used low res then maybe it's not a big deal.

It's ok we all know no one can tell the difference between 1080p and 900p, but let me tell you about 1080PR though. Man it's soooooooo much better than 900p. Thanks MS for continuing upgrading the GPU, CPU, second dGPU, the cloud, DX12,13&14, the symFony sound chip, the secret ji..I mean sauce so 1080PR can happen. LOVE.

The guy goes out of his way to ridicule not just MS, but Xbox owners.

Krakn3Dfx

But, but, XBO has 2% faster CPU and all the fanboys are claiming than open world games run better in XBO
just because was the case 2 games out of 150
. How is this thing possible? I'm confussed.
Not really

Um.

424565343_large_big_bang_theory_sheldon_asperger_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

Alo0oy

Banned
Hmm, then I wonder why there are so many PS4 games that don't use it/don't use it enough? So strange.

There aren't many, actually.

I can only think of 3 games without AF, one of them can run on toasters & the other one runs on last gen hardware.

When the majority of PS4 games have AF, then you start to question why the few non-demanding games don't have it, not the other way around, especially when there are games that look far better & still have AF.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There aren't many, actually.

I can only think of 3 games without AF, one of them can run on toasters & the other one runs on last gen hardware.

When the majority of PS4 games have AF, then you start to question why the few non-demanding games don't have it, not the other way around, especially when there are games that look far better & still have AF.

I wish CoDAW had it. If that had proper AF, an AA solution that wasn't FXAA, and left motion blur on all the time, it would be absolutely stunning for a 60fps title.

Pimpbaa

As mentioned before, this may be a bandwidth issue. Modenr PC GPU's have gobs of bandwidth that is only used by the GPU.

On consoles, with a unified memory architecture, that bandwidth is in demand from both GPU and CPU.

Yes but the ps4's CPU and GPU have their own separate buses to the RAM.

GorillaJu

I don't care about "resolutions per second" and which version has "higher frames". I just want to know which one POPS more.

Was in an EB Games today and the guy in front of me wanted a Xbone copy of the game. I guess the guy working the register was the manager and he is well known for loving his Playstation while hating all things Xbox. Long story short, he told the guy that the "Xbawx" version hardly ran at all whilst constantly hitting 15-20 frames max, loves to locks up, on top of looking like a last gen game. All while the PS4 version was a smooth 60 frame next gen experience. My girlfriend was with me so I decided not to challenge the guy but come on people.

Bgamer90

Banned
Was in an EB Games today and the guy in front of me wanted a Xbone copy of the game. I guess the guy working the register was the manager and he is well known for loving his Playstation while hating all things Xbox. Long story short, he told the guy that the "Xbawx" version hardly ran at all whilst constantly hitting 15-20 frames max, loves to locks up, on top of looking like a last gen game. All while the PS4 version was a smooth 60 frame next gen experience. My girlfriend was with me so I decided not to challenge the guy but come on people.

Wow.

Reminds me of a time (about ten years ago) when I saw three Gamestop clerks make fun of a customer for wanting a PS2 instead of an Xbox. "Terrible graphics! -- Here, take this memory card and network adapter since you'll need it! You wouldn't need those add-ons if you got an Xbox! Not a smart decision at all dude..."

Really disgusting. It's either making fun of something a customer wants (thus turning him/her away from ever wanting to come back to the store), trying to sound like a "gaming expert" but saying straight up lies, or both.

PhatSaqs

Banned
lol

Sanic

Can I ask what the deal is with the "1080pr" in the thread title? Still tossing around that conspiracy theory? They seemed to have maximized performance with the resource constraints they had on the console, so what does it matter if its not a standard resolution?

Top Bottom