• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Perfomance of Dying Light [PS4 1080p/XO 1080pr]

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's clear in the XB1s favour, IMO, even with a lower resolution.

This outside comparison looks a lot better on XB1 than PS4. The corrugated roofs look, well, corrugated and the crane can actually be resolved as a crane.

The indoor scene we know looks better on XB1, too.
Other than AF on that cobble stone in front, things look noticeably blurrier on XB1 screen there due to resolution. These kind of resolution differences are usually much more prominent in motion too, what with flickering in the trees. bushes etc.

Kinthalis

Banned
Judging by the roof, I think it's lower than 25%.

The roof is the same as 0%.

Yeah, hardcore gamer is saying equal to 0% or possibly even lower, based on comparisons they've done and pop-in while in game.

Since view distance has been direclty tied to CPU performance in this game, well, that's probably why it's 0% on consoles.

0% to 50% is a significant difference IMHO. 50% to 75% is barely noticeable, and 75%+ is somethign I can't tell between.

Durante

Judging by the roof, I think it's lower than 25%.

The roof is the same as 0%.
Yeah, you're right. Also, in the PC performance thread someone posted a link to a more in-depth comparison, and there it looks like it's actually slightly lower than 0% :p

Edit: too late!

c0de

All PS4 games should have AF at this point, definitely if it's a multiplat that the X1 does.

What exactly was your question? I though you are asking about the reason why xbone can't handle full 1080p like ps4.

No. The question was like it still is. You said you're surprised that people still think 1080p is possible. I was asking if you mean in the context of this thread (and told you why) or if you question it generally.
Of course you introduced a new thing to the discussion with mentioning cross platform games while this is also not true.
Again, yes, ps4 is more powerful. But just posting random stuff with close to zero chance someone wants to question as the “target audience“ doesn't care anyone what you are actually saying sometimes leads still to someone who might think he may question it. Like I did.

CoG

X1's cpu is 150mhz faster per core. That's total 900mhz for 6 cores(useable for games).
And X1 can utilize up to 7 cores compared to PS4's 6 cores.
This is akin to Goku going from Kaioken 1x to 3x to beat PS4.. I mean Vegeta.

7 64-bit cores? Holy shit, Xbox One is the first 448-bit console!

Yeah, you're right. Also, in the PC performance thread someone posted a link to a more in-depth comparison, and there it looks like it's actually slightly lower than 0% :p

Edit: too late!

Well... looks like someone should be happy to see the DF comparison now :p

Caayn

The Xbox One and the PS4 have identical 8-core CPUs. The Xbox One runs at a clock speed that is 9.4% faster than the one in the PS4.

Saying that the Xbox One has a "900mhz faster" CPU just demonstrates that you're not very good at math.
You're way too tense about it, you can't even detect a joke anymore...
I don't see any superior image quality in outside comparison in Xbone favor. I mean WTF??
He's not talking about image quality, just draw distance. I don't understand how you suddenly make that jump to IQ.

Edit: Newer version of the post I quoted on request of the poster.
I don't see any superior image quality in outside comparison in Xbone favor. Except that noticeable AF. And i noticed worse AA on Xbone screenshot ( pipe, fence )

omonimo

Banned
No. The question was like it still is. You said you're surprised that people still think 1080p is possible. I was asking if you mean in the context of this thread (and told you why) or if you question it generally.
Of course you introduced a new thing to the discussion with mentioning cross platform games while this is also not true.
Again, yes, ps4 is more powerful. But just posting random stuff with close to zero chance someone wants to question as the “target audience“ doesn't care anyone what you are actually saying sometimes leads still to someone who might think he may question it. Like I did.
Ok I officially don't follow you or your logic. Just to say, my question was a rethoric expression, if you really want to know this. I predicted such game wouldn't been full 1080p on xbone time ago because the memory setup isn't it exactly well optimized like the ps4, for such game. And still I continue to repeat people really understimate the memory advantages on the ps4 because count more of the 'superior' gpu.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
He's not talking about image quality, just draw distance. I don't understand how you suddenly make that jump to IQ.
Terbinator was talking about image quality, replying to someone who was saying that image quality is give and take between the two versions.

kingwingin

Yikes at that framerate, nothing was happening on screen and it still dropped to 24fps.

I'd like to see a comparison where they both run into zombie mobs

Conduit

Banned
You're way too tense about it, you can't even detect a joke anymore...

According to his post he is referring on IQ. Draw distance are the same. You quoted my post from last page, but i just edited it meanwhile.

I don't see any superior image quality in outside comparison in Xbone favor. Except that noticeable AF. And i noticed worse AA on Xbone screenshot ( pipe, fence )

Caayn

According to his post he is referring on IQ. Draw distance are the same. You quoted my post from last page, but i just edited it meanwhile.

My bad, must have understood it differently.

Draw distance is not the same, there are slight difference everywhere. Check the cranes, the office buildings, the handles on the benches, the wireframe door in the stone wall in front of the player, etc, etc.

Worse AA where? You can hardly make anything out due to the clusterfuck of CA that's been spunked all over the image. Usual give aways of aliasing, such as the powerlines, look the same on both. And yeah, the 'except' comment just gives credence to what I was suggesting.
Other than AF on that cobble stone in front, things look noticeably blurrier on XB1 screen there due to resolution. These kind of resolution differences are usually much more prominent in motion too, what with flickering in the trees. bushes etc.
As above, the amount of post-processing going again appears to negate any resolution gap that would otherwise be noticeable. About the only standout effect is the trees in the distance but that could solely be attributed to wind in-game (if they do blow?).

Conduit

Banned
My bad, must have understood it differently.

Draw distance is not the same, there are slight difference everywhere. Check the cranes, the office buildings, the handles on the benches, the wireframe door in the stone wall in front of the player, etc, etc.

I thought into the view distance as a whole, not the details of the buildings and stuff. But yes, slight difference on some objects.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Worse AA where? You can hardly make anything out due to the clusterfuck of CA that's been spunked all over the image. Usual give aways of aliasing, such as the powerlines, look the same on both. And yeah, the 'except' comment just gives credence to what I was suggesting.

As above, the amount of post-processing going again appears to negate any resolution gap that would otherwise be noticeable. About the only standout effect is the trees in the distance but that could solely be attributed to wind in-game (if they do blow?).
Usually you can appreciate this difference a lot better in motion. Moving jaggies are far more distracting than they can ever be in static screens. Besides, you can see that things overall look slightly softer/blurrier on XB1 screen.

Usually you can appreciate this difference a lot better in motion. Moving jaggies are far more distracting than they can ever be in static screens.

But the point is they can't be appreciated in these stills in the first place (due to the blur on both platforms[quite possibly in part due to an AA solution in place]), and given that's all we've got to go off so far I'm still not what you were basing you claim on exactly.
Besides, you can see that things overall look slightly softer/blurrier on XB1 screen.
showme.gif

But the point is they can't be appreciated in these stills in the first place (due to the blur on both platforms[quite possibly in part due to an AA solution in place]), and given that's all we've got to go off so far I'm still not what you were basing you claim on exactly.

showme.gif

My eyes show me the xb1 version by necessity... is blurrier. I mean, the fact that the shots posts are jpgs doesnt help too much though.

Jonnax

Have any developers acknowledged the lack of AF? I can't remember the game but there was another that lacked it.

Does anyone have a quick list of Sony world-wide studios developed PS4 games that lack AF?

Just wondering if this issue is exclusive to multiplatform titles... and I haven't kept tabs

X1's cpu is 150mhz faster per core. That's total 900mhz for 6 cores(useable for games).
And X1 can utilize up to 7 cores compared to PS4's 6 cores.
This is akin to Goku going from Kaioken 1x to 3x to beat PS4.. I mean Vegeta.

This still does not support your case that a better CPU should automatically = better frame rate.

It's not shocking to see the PS4 outperforming the Xbox One, once again.

virtualS

I question why competent developers constantly overlook something as visually obvious and computationally cheap as AF on PS4.

It's not a hardware or SDK issue. This has already been confirmed.

Something smells funny.

I'm not a fan of set and forget 30fps caps on PS4 either. Clearly such games want to leap higher. If you're going to cap at 30, do it 100% consistently then make use of those wasted GPU cycles somehow. Who knows, in all likelihood the game may be operating at 40 to 50 fps. What a waste of GPU resources! The least they could do is implement Antistropic Filtering right? Right? Increased geometry? GPU compute effects? Improved AA?

Nah, it's the same as the XBOne version.

Hmmm.

Caayn

I question why competent developers constantly overlook something as visually obvious and computationally cheap as AF on PS4.

It's not a hardware or SDK issue. This has already been confirmed.

Something smells funny.

I'm not a fan of set and forget 30fps caps on PS4 either. Clearly such games want to leap higher. If you're going to cap at 30, do it 100% consistently then make use of those wasted GPU cycles somehow. Who knows, in all likelihood the game may be operating at 40 to 50 fps. What a waste of GPU resources! The least they could do is implement Antistropic Filtering right? Right? Increased geometry? GPU compute effects? Improved AA?

Nah, it's the same as the XBOne version.

Hmmm.
The few frames it, most likely, stays above 30fps wouldn't be enough to cover those extra effects you named. Besides even if they did that it would just mean that the drops are going to be more frequent and bigger.

30fps capped on a 60hz display prevents judder when it goes above 30fps.

There's no conspiracy to be found here.

I'm not a fan of set and forget 30fps caps on PS4 either. Clearly such games want to leap higher. If you're going to cap at 30, do it 100% consistently then make use of those wasted GPU cycles somehow. Who knows, in all likelihood the game may be operating at 40 to 50 fps.

I can safely tell you that unlocking the frame-limiter on TLoU:R and I:FL allows the PS4 to be louder than my PC at full tilt. I'll take the (optional) frame-cap, thanks.

DSN2K

seems a mixed bag on both platforms, and the PC version seems poorly optimized. They have not done a stunning job all-round.

geordiemp

I can safely tell you that unlocking the frame-limiter on TLoU:R and I:FL allows the PS4 to be louder than my PC at full tilt. I'll take the (optional) frame-cap, thanks.

Does not compute, joke remark ?

AF does not make sense on Ps4.

Also Xb1 they should of done something, sub 30 is not acceptable. Just no.

G_Berry

Banned
Screen tearing always makes my decision for me. Resolution doesn't bother me too much but torn frames? Fuck that noise.

Will wait for some otimization patches then.

As if... ;)

When an engine like this is released with such threading problems it is very obvious that it will likely stay like this.

It's not like an engine developed for years is suddenly well coded in a matter of a week or two.

dr_rus

Which should work great, as long as everything is always sitting comfortably in cache and no external accesses have to be made. Caching will hide costs up to a point, after which you start having to pay real penalties. AF requires that larger MIP levels reside in the cache, so high AF should be harder on your cache when rendering surfaces at oblique angles.

The question would be how quickly this becomes an issue on PS4.

AF has nothing to do with MIP levels and everything to do with a number of texels held in the chip cache. If the cache is large enough to hold a number of texels needed for 16x tap AF - there won't be any performance drop since you essentially already have all these texels anyway because you are loading the texture in full to display it.

Basically since you need to load a texture completely anyway to show it with or without AF you may as well use the caching of that loading for a 16x AF filter. No additional external bandwidth is consumed over this. A small drop of performance is happening because your TMUs need to do more fetches from caches than for no AF.

Thus there is no difference in how AF works on low and high end GPUs (as long as they have the same caching architecture). And thus there is no link between memory bandwidth and AF performance. I have no idea where that came from but this isn't the case since a very long time ago.

I guess I am a weirdo because I never even pay attention to/notice whether or or not a game has AF. But like I said I could just be weird, because I also dislike DoF in games, and don't care about motion blur either

FeiRR

Banned
I asked a dev of Dying Light about AF on PS4. It's there but ranges are set differently than on X1 for some reason he doesn't know. They may issue a fix because of that. He added that PS4 supports AF without any problems.

Don't consider this as any official statement from Techland, it was a friendly exchange on FB.

samar11

looks like the ps4 has better performance but it's going to be PC for me. Nothing has changed since the ps1/2/3 days for me. Multi-platform on pc and exclusives on the PlayStation.

I guess I am a weirdo because I never even pay attention to/notice whether or or not a game has AF. But like I said I could just be weird, because I also dislike DoF in games, and don't care about motion blur either

If you dislike blurryness in any shape or form then you should appreciate AF even more as it makes the textures look sharper and more detailed at an angle, eliminates the blurryness.

Top Bottom