• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: The Division beta (PS4 Vs. Xbox One)

It's mind boggling how some here think ps4 is soms supermachine which should give double the performance of Xbone. It's a goddamn laptop GPU. I own one to but am keeping my expectations realistic. It's scary to see most of GAF hold on to the myth the PS4 should somehow considerably beter.

Play on PC if you are expecting a performance an IQ leap. Or else just settle in with the console version and be happy with it instead of nitpicking a small fuckin texture somewhere in the game which seems different between de console version.

who the fuck said it should be double the performance? fact is almost every graphically taxing game has been running at higher resolution on ps4. except for ubi soft games, its kinda ironic that they finally get a 1080p game running on ps4, yet xbox has the same resolution, just seems like they are putting more efforts on the xbx1 version, and are content with ps4 being on par. maybe saving money on development costs?

omonimo

Banned
It's mind boggling how some here think ps4 is soms supermachine which should give double the performance of Xbone. It's a goddamn laptop GPU. I own one to but am keeping my expectations realistic. It's scary to see most of GAF hold on to the myth the PS4 should somehow considerably beter.

Play on PC if you are expecting a performance an IQ leap. Or else just settle in with the console version and be happy with it instead of nitpicking a small fuckin texture somewhere in the game which seems different between de console version.
The fuck you are talking about. Gpu are not for laptop. And the difference between 7790 and 7850 it's far from minimal. In a close hardware they could give noticeable difference. The bandwidth it's almost the double on ps4. Fillrate, ROPs etc. Stop to downplay with such no sense statement. We are not talking of PC here. In any case, if you was right most of the multiplat would runs at the same res with minimum fps difference.

Chobel

Seems to be a lesser implementation of AA or CA, I think. The second image in the gallery is the biggest tell-tale if you look at the tree on the right and the scaffolding across the roof - a lot of pixel break-up.

Yeah, I'm with you in this. This doesn't seem related to the quality of textures but the implementation of AA. Though in some other scenes both versions look exactly the same, dynamic AA solution on XBO?

jesu

who the fuck said it should be double the performance? fact is almost every graphically taxing game has been running at higher resolution on ps4. except for ubi soft game, its kinda ironic that they finally get a 1080p game running on ps4, yet xbox has the same resolution, just seems like they are putting more efforts on the xbx version, and are content with ps4 being on par.

Again, what resolution should the PS4 version be?
It runs better is that not enough?

And this is the first game Massive has made for consoles, it's not just another Ubi game.

What's with the lighting differences (sunseton one, midday on the other then vice versa) in the comparison video? Can missions be done at different times of the day?

That is good performance all round. I think the assets and detail in this game look pretty impressive, as does the lighting at night. Post processing seems minimal at times, giving the game a clinical look. Its not the showiest look game on the market, but it is solid all round.

People really need to understand that this is an MMO. MMO workloads vary, especially in end game, significantly.
There is possibility that final game has much more player vs player vs pve interactions that require more GPU time and in that case Xbone version will drop heavily when PS4 wont at all.
Parity is a stupid term for games with varied, unpredictable workloads.

That is a pretty interesting point. Since this an MMO performance is key. I can imagine if it was mainly SP then the game would probably have some slightly more evident differences.

omonimo

Banned
Again, what resolution should the PS4 version be?
It runs better is that not enough?

And this is the first game Massive has made for consoles, it's not just another Ubi game.
To be fair res is not everything and I have seen more dramatic difference in the most close multiplat on ps360 than here. But I guess KKR00 it's absolutely right and the parity is here for a more valid reason.

theWB27

Ninjablade and omonimo are NOT happy we have a big release that performs very well. What's with massive and their priorities.

Tarnpanzer

It's not like they can increase the resolution here.

lol, of course they could. Crank it up a bit over 1080p, then downsample it. One of the LEGO-games did this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-lego-the-movie-next-gen-face-off

------------

Anyway its not about resolution, more GPU power could resolve in better lighting, AA, AF, better shadows etc.

Look at the PC-Version, looks a lot better, even at 1080p. No reason PS4 can´t get closer to the quality levels of the PC-Version, than XBO.

who the fuck said it should be double the performance? fact is almost every graphically taxing game has been running at higher resolution on ps4. except for ubi soft games, its kinda ironic that they finally get a 1080p game running on ps4, yet xbox has the same resolution, just seems like they are putting more efforts on the xbx1 version, and are content with ps4 being on par. maybe saving money on development costs?

What do you expect? 4k? Some extra ambient occlusion? 60 fps? It's already hitting 1080p so be fuckin content with it. A few more pixels and the game could tank, who knows. Specs on paper say nothing with these 400 dollar apu boxes.
Jeesh, some of you guys are like a cult following and praising everything on one camp and going into meltdown if things don't meet your unrealistic expectations.

omonimo

Banned
Ninjablade and omonimo are NOT happy we have a big release that performs very well. What's with massive and their priorities.
That's not what I said. I said to expect some more graphic achievement on ps4 if it runs quite well on xbone at the same res. That's an absolutely impressive job on xbone. Really incredible. I imagine they haven't pushed so much the ps4 version because they were worried for the stability.

So should the ps4 version be higher than 1080p? Should the x1 version be 900p even though it can hit 1080? Should the ps4 version look miles better with the same framerate? Should it be 60 frames? Because I hear that the ps4 version does in fact look better in places.

Better quality settings, maybe some extra effects or better quality AA shouldn't be hard to implement. PC games do this all the time. If the PC version can look better than the console versions then the PS4 version should logically look better than the X1 version.

Do You have any examples of this?

This screenshot looks like it using GI from the left light source:
thedivision_pano_2_by_roderickartist-d9pts3d.png

Damn, i wish i had a beta.

I have yet to find any GI in the form of the original tech trailer where a moving light sources causes bounce light.

I am not sure that has GI in that screen shot, where are you seeing it there?

Better quality settings, maybe some extra effects or better quality AA shouldn't be hard to implement. PC games do this all the time. If the PC version can look better than the console versions then the PS4 version should logically look better than the X1 version.

And have the game dip to 25 fps sporadically? No thanks. I'll tell you where the extra power went. Capped 30 fps solid. That's really it. You are also forgetting that

PC Console gap is far greater that the Xbone en ps4 gap. So your logic is already fucking flawed.

It's like saying a Volkswagen should be able able tot go as fast as a Ferarri because the bicycle is slower than both of the cars.

lol, of course they could. Crank it up a bit over 1080p, then downsample it. One of the LEGO-games did this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-lego-the-movie-next-gen-face-off

------------

Anyway its not about resolution, more GPU power could resolve in better lighting, AA, AF, better shadows etc.

Look at the PC-Version, looks a lot better, even at 1080p. No reason PS4 can´t get closer to the quality levels of the PC-Version, than XBO.

yup at the very least have a better AA solution, higher quality shadows.

omonimo

Banned
And have the game dip to 25 fps sporadically? No thanks. I'll tell you where the extra power went. Capped 30 fps solid. That's really it. You are also forgetting that

PC Console gap is far greater that the Xbone en ps4 gap. So your logic is already fucking flawed.
What it has to do PC gap with console gap? And what you have said about the difference of console hardware it's just trolling in any case.

theWB27

Logically...PC scales on different cards that are leaps more powerful than both consoles. I'm sure it could also be made to look fairly close to the console versions.

That's the thing though...people don't factor in anything else other power and say x game should look better. But we know that's not how games work.

@omonimo

So then why go on in this thread if you could rationalize why the game is the way it is instead of going about why the ps4 should be better because power.

Floody

Isn't this pretty much pointless anyway? The map is tiny in the Beta compared to what it will be in the retail version, won't that affect performance a lot when it's loading all the extra areas and players walking around them? People should probably wait on the praising/criticizing the devs until it releases, though it's looking like the devs did a pretty good job for each platform so far.

*edit: Should add, I mean getting worked up over it, not the actual analysis, which although is also kinda pointless in the grand scheme, at least gives us a little insight into the development progress of the game.

thelastword

Banned
Great stuff.Indeed after more than 10 hours on the PS4 version I am about to see a slowdown.
Performance is good, but it looks like this should be running at 60fps or unlocked on the PS4.

I did not see the tearing on the PS4 version like I saw on XB1 either, so in essence XB1 is tearing frames to keep it's fps up.

This parity thing is unbelievable, yet, it's always amazing how gullible some people are, here is one of the few (if only) open-world Ubisoft (third person) game that runs at 1080p and not surprisingly enough, the PS4 can only manage 1080p only now that the XB1 can do it. Put this against the other big hitters like ACU, Syndicate etc...these guys thrive on parity which is anti-consumer.

Where? The article talk of some casual texture glitch on xbone.
You could watch the video, there's better IQ on the PS4 version, slightly better AA, more accurate colors and better textures, we'll need to get an update on aniso filtering, but just basic stuff which the PS4 normally outperform the XB1 in at a 1080p to 900p divide.... At 1080P on both systems, surely much more is expected to differentiate the two platforms, but this is Ubisoft. Eqalite Egalite Egalite.

In any case, I'll be following NXgamer for a more through analysis on these differences and of course framerate, but I don't hold up much hope for Ubisoft at all.

Tarnpanzer

Isn't this pretty much pointless anyway? The map is tiny in the Beta compared to what it will be in the retail version, won't that affect performance a lot when it's loading all the extra areas and players walking around them? People should probably wait on the praising/criticizing until it releases, though it's looking like the devs did a pretty good job for each platform so far.

Yes, awesome work on the XBO-version.

err, many games are pushing higher resolution and run at a better framerate then the xbox version, i'm sure they are using magic, instead of ps4 just being more powerful. just to name a few.

batman
battlefront 4
star wars
witcher 3 after patch
cod black ops 3
gtav after patch better foliage

omonimo

Banned
Logically...PC scales on different cards that are leaps more powerful than both consoles. I'm sure it could also be made to look fairly close to the console versions.

That's the thing though...people don't factor in anything else other power and say x game should look better. But we know that's not how games work.

@omonimo

So then why go on in this thread if you could rationalize why the game is the way it is instead of going about why the ps4 should be better because power.
It's called discussion. We can change our mind if people put on the light some aspect you haven't considered at the beginning. What's exactly your point indeed?

jesu

Performance is good, but it looks like this should be running at 60fps or unlocked on the PS4.

I did not see the tearing on the PS4 version like I saw on XB1 either, so in essence XB1 is tearing frames to keep it's fps up.

This parity thing is unbelievable, yet, it's always amazing how gullible some people are, here is one of the few (if only) open-world Ubisoft (third person) game that runs at 1080p and not surprisingly enough, the PS4 can only manage 1080p only now that the XB1 can do it. Put this against the other big hitters like ACU, Syndicate etc...these guys thrive on parity which is anti-consumer.

You could watch the video, there's better IQ on the PS4 version, slightly better AA, more accurate colors and better textures, we'll need to get an update on aniso filtering, but just basic stuff which the PS4 normally outperform the XB1 in at a 1080p to 900p divide.... At 1080P on both systems, surely much more is expected to differentiate the two platforms, but this is Ubisoft. Eqalite Egalite Egalite.

Different devs, different engines.
But yeah you should find a consumer watch dog to complain to.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
We still haven't seen DF's in-depth graphics analysis. This was just a sneak peak and a frame rate test.
Yeah, this is a beta. Also, I did the video for this article in, like, three hours so it's not super in-depth. The article itself is Tom's, though.

I honesty think the game looks positively outstanding. It's not up to the original demo but it's damn good. Lots of detail everywhere.

What it has to do PC gap with console gap? And what you have said about the difference of console hardware it's just trolling in any case.

Because Mutoncommander said ( read above post ) that if PC version is already looking better than console versions than the ps4 should somehow look automatically beter than Xbone version.

I just pointet out that that's the wrong wat tot see things. Considering the Xbone and ps4 performance gap is negligible compared to the PC and ps4 gap. Learn to read before you post.

jesu

err, many games are pushing higher resolution and run at a better framerate then the xbox version, i'm sure they are using magic, instead of ps4 just being more powerful.

batman
battlefront 4
star wars
witcher 3 after patch
cod black ops 3
gtav after patch better foliage

Again with the res, what res do you think it should be running at on the PS4 vs the X1?

THRILLH0

Banned

Soooo, better IQ, no tearing, better colours, better AA and better textures....

And you're bitching about parity?

theWB27

It's called discussion. We can change our mind if people put on the light some aspect you haven't considered at the beginning. What's exactly your point indeed?

My point was...devs get trashed if they get good visuals and poor performance.

They also get trashed if they good visuals and good performance. Your posts illustrated this point very well.

omonimo

Banned

In any case, I'll be following NXgamer for a more through analysis on these differences and of course framerate, but I don't hold up much hope for Ubisoft at all.
That's absolutely impossible ps4 would have better IQ. Game setting can be changed to have less blurried IQ and other graphic stuff, on both console. The only possibility it's dynamic res on xbone but not seem the case for now.

Because Mutoncommander said ( read above post ) that if PC version is already looking better than console versions than the ps4 should somehow look automatically beter than Xbone version.

I just pointet out that that's the wrong wat tot see things. Considering the Xbone and ps4 performance gap is negligible compared to the PC and ps4 gap. Learn to read before you post.

The difference in power is more or less 40%, right? That sounds like enough of a difference to offer better quality levels. The game looks ok even in beta so it's not like I'm disappointed or anything, I'm just wondering if the game will take advantage of the PS4's extra power.

Tarnpanzer

Yeah, this is a beta.

Game comes out in 5 weeks. The final gets pressed in about 2-3 weeks? It´s called "Beta", but its more like a demo in my opinion.

I guess we won´t see much changes graphical wise. Maybe some performance improvements for the XBO-version, but thats it.

omonimo

Banned
My point was...devs get trashed if they get good visuals and poor performance.

They also get trashed if they good visuals and good performance. Your posts illustrated this point very well.
Where exactly I have trashed them? The fuck you are talking about now?

dark10x

Game comes out in 5 weeks. The final gets pressed in about 2-3 weeks? It´s called "Beta", but its more like a demo in my opinion.

I guess we won´t see much changes graphical wise. Maybe some performance improvements for the XBO-version, but thats it.
I only mean that it won't get the full analysis treatment until it's available for reals.

Footos22

If both games were forced 900p for parity I'd understand complaints. Instead, both are great performers and 1080p. Awesome for everyone!

Edit: The chromatic aberration in the game destroys a really clean image so I suggest you turn it off no matter what version you play. It's sooooo much better.

You can turn it off!?

Based ubisoft. Never thought I'd say that.

The difference in power is more or less 40%, right? That sounds like enough of a difference to offer better quality levels. The game looks ok even in beta so it's not like I'm disappointed or anything, I'm just wondering if the game will take advantage of the PS4's extra power.

It's already taking advantage. 30 fps solid and no tearing. That's about it. Sorry to burst your bubble.

dark10x

It's already taking advantage. 30 fps solid and no tearing. That's about it. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Yeah, I'm kind of scratching my head here. Just what do people think isn't good enough here that could be improved upon with that extra bit of power?

omonimo

Banned

You called gpu laptop the console hardware. Learn to write before to post. And the gap difference on console it's not exactly proportional to the gap with the PC to be fair.
It's like to say a Ferrari can't go faster of a Ford because jet fly.

Top Bottom