• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Quantum Break Xbox One X vs Xbox One: First Look

So what you're saying is both consoles run games at 1440p and the difference between them is exaggerated

Can't disagree there

I've been saying that since this gen started. Still looking to forward to playing games on the most pwerful console in a few weeks though, plenty of true 4K games to go around :)

So what you're saying is both consoles run games at 1440p and the difference between them is exaggerated

Can't disagree there
No, I'm saying that one console is more powerful than the other and that were it on Pro it would run the game lower than 1440p.

That does not go directly against your argument,but it's not what I'm saying.

Mark Cerny said that most devs putting out patches for already released games only needed and were assigning a person to a patch since it doesn’t take much time to make one (he estimated that one person can get a patch done in two weeks).

So Cerny knows all the ins and outs of all the studios making patches for all the games on the PS Pro?

Sounds to me like he's estimating. With this game we know for a fact.

No need to 'Sony too' to take away from the accomplishment here.

Trup1aya

1440p? I thought the X is a true 4K console!

Excited nonetheless, thankfully I haven't finished the game on base Xbone.

The X jumped the game from 720p to 1140p...

Was it ever supposed to be able to push everything under the sun to native 4K? They said it could push 900p-1080p games to 4K, if devs choose to use the power that way. The laws of physics still apply.

timberger

That's a notable improvement, if not an especially impressive one. But the game really needed it as the terrible resolution on the XB1 version genuinely ruined what were some really nicely detailed visuals.

Is this the first MS published title on XB1X to fail to achieve "True 4k" as well? Spencer is really gonna need to quit spinning that line in future.

That's a notable improvement, if not an especially impressive one. But the game really needed it as the terrible resolution on the XB1 version genuinely ruined what were some really nicely detailed visuals.

Is this the first first party MS title on XB1X to fail to achieve "True 4k" as well? Spencer is really gonna need to quit spinning that line in future.

lol

I've been saying that since this gen started. Still looking to forward to playing games on the most pwerful console in a few weeks though, plenty of true 4K games to go around :)

I don't know why your post sounds like it's slyly trying to rile people up but hey

It's only ever about the games for me

Hell, I've advised people not to get the Pro but the Slim + XB1X/ PC just because the advantages are negligible and many things about the thing are ill-advised

Theorry

Is this the first first party MS title on XB1X to fail to achieve "True 4k" as well? Spencer is really gonna need to quit spinning that line in future.

Damn. MS bought Remedy finally?

The X jumped the game from 720p to 1140p...

Was it ever supposed to be able to push everything under the sun to native 4K?

I know it's an impressive jump but I'm still disappointed. The One X was advertised as a "True 4K console" and MS wouldn't shut up saying that word and now it seems none of the games that interest me are "true 4k"

Doesn't it do something to output at 4K despite it rendering at 1440P? Is that what that temporal stuff does? Or at least to improve the image quality?

Not clued up on all this really :p

Trup1aya

I know it's an impressive jump but I'm still disappointed. The One X was advertised as a "True 4K console" and MS wouldn't shut up saying that word and now it seems none of the games that interest me are "true 4k"

MS said they gave it enough power to push 900p to 4K.

If a game is maxing out an OG Xbox at 720p, common sense would dictate that the X can't push it to native 4K.

AlStrong

Incoming? Maybe?

UbIoiaY.png

Is this the link?

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/2...estions/19037260-1440p-support-for-xbox-one-x

Trup1aya

Doesn't it do something to output at 4K despite it rendering at 1440P? Is that what that temporal stuff does? Or at least to improve the image quality?

Not clued up on all this really :p

The native res is 1440p, then the system uses previous frames to estimate the remaining pixels in the 4K image.

So portions of the screen that are static will have near 4K quality clarity after a few frames, but items in motion will be blurrier.

Night.Ninja

Banned
2017-09-20_16-18-17desbn.png

Damn, my fault, you always have to read the fine print in MS' PR statements...

Damn, totally my fault, I really should read MS' well constructed PR statements more careful.

Maybe you should learn how to read properly
image75038.png

So much hate inside your heart
We don't even know what we done to you

h3PSQgz.gif

onQ123

No, I'm saying that one console is more powerful than the other and that were it on Pro it would run the game lower than 1440p.

That does not go directly against your argument,but it's not what I'm saying.

Not really because PS4 Pro has hardware that can be used to help with these type of reconstructive techniques.

black070

So Cerny knows all the ins and outs of all the studios making patches for all the games on the PS Pro?

Days Gone's Pro patch is being worked on by only one person and only two people worked on inFamous Second Son & First Light's patch.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/09/ps4_pro_requires_very_little_investment_from_developers

Space_nut

Not really because PS4 Pro has hardware that can be used to help with these type of reconstructive techniques.

Lol you do know 2560x1400p is the NATIVE res and then remedy uses previous frame buffer to get to higher res.

Hmmm sounds like cb

Either way pro would use a lower native res to reconstruct

Lol you do know 2560x1400p is the NATIVE res and then remedy uses previous frame buffer to get to higher res.

Hmmm sounds like cb

There's plenty of demanding titles with a 1440p native res on PS4P.

But I should know better than to argue this with someone sporting the Xbox chip for an avatar

Space_nut

There's plenty of demanding titles with a 1440p native res on PS4P.

But I should know better than to argue this with someone sporting the Xbox chip for an avatar

Do you make sense?

We are talking about QB running in 1400p. Not that pro has a game running at 1400p lmao Sure you can run pacman 1400p on the pro sure doesn't mean its as technically impressive as running QB in 1400p

Good one there mate!! lmao

...Yes? He worked with tons of devs to get the initial batch of games on the Pro and that is the quote he gave. Also, I said he was estimating so yeah...

Also, what’s up with the last sentence? When was I trying to take away from QB? PS4 Pro’s lead architect’s words and experience for their equivalent of the One X is useful. I was just giving an idea of how these patch’s seem to get made is all. Never made a single comment either way about the games implementation of the One X’s power.

Trup1aya

That and the fact that just one person is working on this. Or isn't that really relevant?
One person, on his free time!

Even with more people working it would never his 4k on the X, unless they scaled back the graphics. The engine is very demanding. having a dedicated person/team provably would have improved the performance by now, but theyve got until November...

Duderino

MS said they gave it enough power to push 900p to 4K.

If a game is maxing out an OG Xbox at 720p, common sense would dictate that the X can't push it to native 4K.

Imagine the 900p example is also a "best case" scenario. There's no gaurentee every element in every game will scale nicely to 4k without a performance hit.

But hey, if people want to take Microsoft's pr statements at face value, perhaps it'll push developers to work harder on their X patches.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
VERY excited to play this again! Played, and beat, the Windows 10 version, but I'm going to buy it on Steam (for the higher fps), and still play it on the One X!

onQ123

Hmmm sounds like cb

And the resolution would most likely be higher if it didn't need the extra resource to complete the reconstruction which isn't as resource hungry on PS4 Pro because it has extra hardware for it.

p2535748

I think the One X does as well:

However, just like PS4 Pro, the GPU has hardware support for checkerboarding and other pixel-efficient techniques, which Microsoft expects to see rolled out on the small amount of games on Xbox One that drop beneath 900p.

From here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...pio-is-console-hardware-pushed-to-a-new-level

Edit: On topic, it's nice that they're going back and doing anything. Given how much it struggled on the One, I'm not surprised they couldn't get native 4k. I actually enjoyed QB on PC, but I'm not really planning on going back to it anyway.

Space_nut

And the resolution would most likely be higher if it didn't need the extra resource to complete the reconstruction which isn't as resource hungry on PS4 Pro because it has extra hardware for it.

Xbox One X uses hardware too for checkerboarding such as ID buffers

Which is why it could run tomb raider in 4k cb for a mode that only runs in 1080p on pro

Journey

Banned

Are Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of War and other AAA games hitting true 4K?

Edit: Oh I see, none of the games "That interest you" are hitting 4K, makes sense now, where's that ignore button...

Leyasu

Banned

Is this the first MS published title on XB1X to fail to achieve "True 4k" as well? Spencer is really gonna need to quit spinning that line in future.

Wow, totally in shock at your response.

Imagine the 900p example is also a "best case" scenario. There's no gaurentee every element in every game will scale nicely to 4k without a performance hit.

But hey, if people want to take Microsoft's pr statements at face value, perhaps it'll push developers to work harder on their X patches.
It wasn't just a best case scenario,they said they tested with tons of games and gave enough power to make that jump possible (and 900p-> 4k even requires some optimizations and using some advantages the newer architecture provides), but of course, what every game does is different, and the developer has the choice of not even pursue a straight resolution increase, but also opt for increased settings.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
good to see MS giving a tangible upgrade to Quantum Break. Going from 720p to 1440p is astronomical

Top Bottom