• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Quantum Break Xbox One X vs Xbox One: First Look

p2535748

"hardware support" could just mean the GPU is capable of it and not necessarily tailored for it.

Eh, it could mean a thousand things. The fact they said "just like PS4 Pro ..." just before that makes it certainly sound like it's a similar level of support.

I could be wrong, though, hence the "I think" at the beginning of my reply. I thought I had heard it did similar things, did a quick google search and ended up on that page, so I haven't thoroughly researched it.

c0de

And the resolution would most likely be higher if it didn't need the extra resource to complete the reconstruction which isn't as resource hungry on PS4 Pro because it has extra hardware for it.

The pro secret sauce which we don't know how much it is actually helping in terms of power?
I mean yes, there might be a benefit by having dedicated hardware but until we have reliable data, it's not really something we should stress in discussions.

amdb00mer

Rumor is a single programmer is working on this patch and started it without informing MS team. That's why it was announced so late at Gamescom.

thelastword

Banned
Yes, because it's a game xbone originally ran in 720p.

Pro has been doing 1440p for some games ps4 ran at 1080p.
Yes, but how many games run at 720p on PS4 anyway....PS4 was never so weak that it needed to run such games at 720p. The XBONEX is significantly more powerful than the XB1 as opposed to PS4 to PRO.....

Do you make sense?

We are talking about QB running in 1400p. Not that pro has a game running at 1400p lmao Sure you can run pacman 1400p on the pro sure doesn't mean its as technically impressive as running QB in 1400p

Good one there mate!! lmao
BTW, it's 1440p.....and that's pretty much saying that UC4, Lost Legacy, Titanfall at 60fps are Pacman games confirmed...;)

In any case, most of these 1440p games were quick fire pro patches or devs which did not want to use CB for whatever reason...

This game is an absolute beast Hardware requirement wise.

Actually surprised me they were trying to run it at this high a resolution on the X1X.
This does not show a disparity of 1440p native vs 720p to me. I wonder if this is using dynamic base resolution or if the resolution of alpha and pp effects are still at XB1 resolution...We also have no confirmation of this patch running at ultra settings like you can get on PC.

No, I'm saying that one console is more powerful than the other and that were it on Pro it would run the game lower than 1440p.

That does not go directly against your argument,but it's not what I'm saying.
You don't know that, what graphical settings is this running at? CB on this game on PRO would look much sharper than this T.I implementation I'm seeing here.

Ehker

Rumor is a single programmer is working on this patch and started it without informing MS team. That's why it was announced so late at Gamescom.

I hope the part where it says they made this patch for free isn't true. Pay the programmer. Probably going to sell some copies.

cakely

Do you make sense?

We are talking about QB running in 1400p. Not that pro has a game running at 1400p lmao Sure you can run pacman 1400p on the pro sure doesn't mean its as technically impressive as running QB in 1400p

Good one there mate!! lmao

Bringing GAF's level of discourse down to GameFAQ's one post at at time.

It's disappointing that a lot of the discussion isn't around what folks think of the upgrade and instead revolves around PC and PS4Pro.

PC folks: It's the same as the game running differently when you upgrade your GPU. There aren't wholesale graphical updates.

PS4 Pro folks: This game is not on that console. There is no need to "4K snipe" any title that's not native 4k on the console. No-one said that would be the case.

Raide

Loved AW but skipped QB just due to time. Will grab it for 1X to show support and have some time-bending fun!

Duderino

Eh, it could mean a thousand things. The fact they said "just like PS4 Pro ..." just before that makes it certainly sound like it's a similar level of support.

I could be wrong, though, hence the "I think" at the beginning of my reply. I thought I had heard it did similar things, did a quick google search and ended up on that page, so I haven't thoroughly researched it.

I'm not sure either, all I know is they've been vague about it.

Why would the game use cb for the pro but not for the One X?
I'm not sure, but maybe he's comparing what many games on the Pro do with Remedy's own technique. For example: both have artifacts, but from what I remember, there's some weird ghosting on QB that I haven't seen on any CBR game. Also, you have to remember that every CBR implementation is different. CBR on Watch Dogs 2 isn't that great, compared to Horizon or Infinite Warfare, both games use the technique on great ways.

Raide

Absolutely can't wait. This is the Xbox one title I MOST wanted enhanced for Xbox One X, so I'm really looking forward to this

I know it's supposed to be one programmer doing it but I hope it gets more support to iron out any performance issues. The footage I have seen looks nice and clean, so that is already a big boost!

This article is causing me to abandon my progress on PC and wait for the X patch.

Definitely going to start this game over from the beginning on my 4K TV.

I'm not sure, but maybe he's comparing what many games on the Pro do with Remedy's own technique. For example: both have artifacts, but from what I remember, there's some weird ghosting on QB that I haven't seen on any CBR game. Also, you have to remember that every CBR implementation is different. CBR on Watch Dogs 2 isn't that great, compared to Horizon or Infinite Warfare, both games use the technique on great ways.

Don't forget that Quantum Break has a very unique special effects driven system tied to it's gameplay that those other games simply don't have. Even by the standards of a game like Horizon Zero Dawn, it's still unique.

As an aside, what the fuck is it with this "4 ex resolution boost..." nonsense in DF videos?

Surely it should be said as "4 times resolution boost..."

Im not usually one for pedantry, but it's driving me batty.

It can't be just me.

btags

There's plenty of demanding titles with a 1440p native res on PS4P.

But I should know better than to argue this with someone sporting the Xbox chip for an avatar

Point out those games. The most obvious thing I can think of would be uncharted 4 and lost legacy, which are both demanding games that ran at 1080p on base ps4 hardware. If we were to use the usual split between resolutions for xbone and base ps4, Quantum Break would have likely run at 900p on base ps4. So, given that, obviously an assumption, what graphically intensive games that ran at 900p on base ps4 are now running at native 1440p on ps4 pro?

Not to say that ps4 pro is bad, but you act like this is not a good upgrade. Also, to the person you were quoting, checkerboard rendering and temporal reconstruction are different. There are plenty of places to look up how so I won't bother here.

KageMaru

Are we going to go through this level of trolling in every 1X thread?

No to get anywhere near 60fps at 1080p you need a 1080gtx

Every other gpu you need to either turn down graphics or run at around 30fps locked with ultra settings

No you don't need a 1080 to reach 1080p60. I do it fine on my 1070.

I know it's supposed to be one programmer doing it but I hope it gets more support to iron out any performance issues. The footage I have seen looks nice and clean, so that is already a big boost!

Yep, want everything ironed out also. I think they will get there without issue.

Right on! The game was seriously impressive already; I think I'm ready for a second playthrough with different choices!

I've actually paused my most recent play through just to finish on Xbox one x. Same goes for Rise of the tomb raider.

c0de

In any way, he's talking about the game being on the pro and I don't see any reason why they would change their way of rendering for that target and not do it on the X.

onQ123

The pro secret sauce which we don't know how much it is actually helping in terms of power?
I mean yes, there might be a benefit by having dedicated hardware but until we have reliable data, it's not really something we should stress in discussions.

It's not secret sauce it's hardware that's been documented & it's done without using the GPU shaders.

btags

Why are you so angry? I can't be excited? it seems you are in the wrong thread buddy

You can, feel all the excitement you want. I was just saying you sounded like you were reading off a pr memo. Also, I only have an xbone and pc. The only playstation product I have ever owned is a vita, so don't say I am some sony fanboy (would own more ps stuff if I had the money though).

In any way, he's talking about the game being on the pro and I don't see any reason why they would change their way of rendering for that target and not do it on the X.
On this game specifically? Remedy developed their own reconstruction technique, so why bother changing that? We will probably see the same technique being used on the Pro once their multiplatform game is out. CBR or any other technique is a choice made by the dev. They can go 4K CBR, 1440p native or develop their own technique to achieve higher resolutions, if they want.

Jumeira

Banned
Quite impressive given its one guy on his free time. As great as the results are, MS should really invest in this and help the poor guy out. This is a heart-warming example of a gamer going the distance purely for the love of gaming.

Are we going to get this every X1 DF thread now..?? Lets make things simple

1. X1 games will look/perform better than the Pro versions.. there, I said it
2. I'm more interested in how X1 versions compare to PC versions, the PC will obviously always be better but i'm intrigued to see what specs the X1 gets close too.

Ouch I can see Sony fans getting mad
No, I was really asking

Your post made no sense at all

Quite impressive given its one guy on his free time. As great as the results are, MS should really invest in this and help the poor guy out. This is a heart-warming example of a gamer going the distance purely for the love of gaming.
Also, the one guy has no arms and codes by way of a series of blinks

Astounding really

btags

No, seriously

Please, it made complete sense. Don't you understand the uncompressed pixel power 4k hdr that the xbox one x can provide? Or how it allows me to enjoy all the games I already own, and future releases, at a fidelity unseen before? All of that for the low, low price of $499!

I get being excited for shit, but man some people need to calm down. This upgrade to quantum break looks great and I look forward to playing it again but people need to calm down and not die defending a large corporation.

jaypah

He's actually in the right thread. DF threads are about discussing tech and visuals of a game or performance of a platform.

I would call being excited for higher graphical fidelity ok in a DF thread. Telling another member they sound like a shill seems to be kind of off for a DF thread, even if Spacenut is kind of fanatical.

KageMaru

This looks like a nice update, I just hope they can iron out the performance issues.

Why are you so angry? I can't be excited? it seems you are in the wrong thread buddy

Ouch I can see Sony fans getting mad

There's no need to get defensive over legit posts and questions.

Jumeira

Banned
No, I was really asking

Also, the one guy has no arms and codes by way of a series of blinks

Astounding really

Your poorly thought-out equivalence is whats really astounding. Not the only blunder youve made in this thread.

EagleEyes

This thread is a nightmare. Is this honestly how its going to be in DF threads the next 2 to 3 years now that the Xbox will have the more powerful hardware? GAF is gonna go crazy over this lol.

Top Bottom