• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Quantum Break Xbox One X vs Xbox One: First Look

It's capable of 4k games. There are already a bunch of native 4k games. Not all games are going to be 4K. So by your reasoning, a true 4k console is only a console that does 4k all the time? That means the Xbox 360 isn't a even a 720p console?

You can make a game bring any machine to it's knees.

Can you show me these quotes? Also, was Sony misleading by saying the PS4 is 1080p console when clearly sub 1080p games exist? I'm just trying to understand the logic that you're agreeing to.
I'll say again, since we're going in circles

There's true 4K on PS4 Pro, so why, as Microsoft, bother making the distinction at all if you're not going to hit true 4K most of the time?

XB1X looks to be the better high-end option for sure if you still get a base PS4 for exclusives. But it's not unreasonable to shove Microsoft into their own pile of bullshit on this true 4k thing from time to time.

Syrus

Banned
The Pro is capable of 4K games and there are 4K games on it. And Spencer still said that it competes with the One S because the One X is a "True 4K console".

So how's the Pro is NOT a "True 4K console" while the One X is?

Yeah it's not a true 1080p console.

Stop shitting up X1 threads plz

Stop shitting up X1 threads plz

I'm not shitting up anything. Just quoting Phil Spencer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-12-the-big-interview-xbox-boss-phil-spencer

Phil Spencer: I look at Pro as more of a competitor to S than I do to Xbox One X. This is a true 4K console. If you just look at the specs of what this box is, it's in a different league than any other console that's out there. When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that.

I must have missed the bit in John's video when he compared the 1X version with the Pro version, what time in the video does that analysis happen?

btags

Quantum Break outputs a 1080p picture. Yes, internal resolution pre processing is 720p, but some of the things are done at 1080p (obviously the UI, not sure if any of the other effects applied work at 1080p).

Remedy claimed Quantum Break was 1080p. I see the argument, even if I think it's misleading, but the game isn't just doing a basic upscale on a 720p image. So if Quantum Break is 1080p, this is 4K. Even on PC, at release, if you picked 1080p, you'd get the 720p internal resolution, as mentioned on this video.

So, yes, calling this a 4K patch is misleading, but it's also completely consistent with the other releases of the game, so I don't think it's specifically exaggerating what the Xbox One X is capable of.

Also, if you thought this game would be native 4K on Xbox One X then you should probably look into the PC hardware required to hit that mark.

And no, it isn't just a bad PC port... the game uses a number of very computationally expensive effects on every platform. We can debate if those effects are worth the computational cost, but we can't debate the computational cost.

I've played many better looking games, but Quantum Break wouldn't be Quantum Break without them. They're key to the game.

This is a good post. Thank you.

Also, in line with this, because people are arguing about true 4k and true 1080p consoles, there is no such thing. At least not with the way consoles have been done so far. No matter how powerful a console is, unless the manufacturer mandates and enforces games to run at a certain resolution, devs can always shift resources towards more advanced techniques at a lower resolution. Similarly, if the video output of the console supports it, a console can run any game at 4k or whatever resolution if performance is sacrificed. We should stop focusing on the bullshit that pr people say, because it is and always will be bullshit, and rather just consider what a game is doing technically and what platform it is on to judge how impressive it is.

BigEmil

The Pro is capable of 4K games and there are 4K games on it. And Spencer still said that it competes with the One S because the One X is a "True 4K console".

There's true 4K on PS4 Pro, so why, as Microsoft, bother making the distinction at all if you're not going to hit true 4K most of the time?

XB1X looks to be the better high-end option for sure if you still get a base PS4 for exclusives. But it's not unreasonable to shove Microsoft into their own pile of bullshit on this true 4k thing from time to time.

Agreed. I like how people avoid this question and go sideways around it

I really think context is super important with Quantum Break. It's an unreasonably demanding game.

For comparison, if you run the PC version (Steam DX11) at 1440p without reconstruction (and the base resolution on XOX *IS* 1440p) it's not really possible to hit a stable 60fps with a Titan Xp. 30fps is absolutely possible on such a card even at 4K but it's also dramatically more powerful than Xbox One X.

In comparison, the system is running Gears of War 4 at native 4K at a locked 30fps and we don't see many high-res UE4 games on consoles like that. We've sampled a bunch of native 4K games already but I don't think we can expect games that were at 720p on the original Xbox One to hit native 4K either as the jump exceeds the boost in power.

Quantum Break suffered, I think, as a result of the very expensive lighting they attempted, among other things. Regardless of how it looks, it's generated in an expensive way.
Comparing this to other games there's nothing too much for this game to be too 'demanding' Quantum Break is just unoptimised especially on PC.

ethomaz

Banned
Looks like I almost much nailed the resolution used to retroconstruction.

720p to 1440p is the jump expected with the X power... 1080p games will probably reach the true native 4k buzz from MS.

Nice work. I hope DS3 and SO get an update too. Looking forward to playing Anthem, Ori2, Metro Exodus and RDR2 on the 1X. DF surely has their work cut out for them once this console joins the PC, switch ,pro and other base consoles.

see5harp

Of course the PS4 pro is a console capable of running things in 4K. Phil Spencer has said some dumb shit in the past and he will continue to do that. Now that that's settled you can talk about the actual thread.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Comparing this to other games there's nothing too much for this game to be too 'demanding' Quantum Break is just unoptimised especially on PC.
What do you think “optimized” actually means?

El_Chino

586.gif

RedRum

Banned
Decent uograde. I'll finish it this time.

It's funny that PS4 vs PS4 Pro threads aren't this neagative. It's usually cheers and confetti when Pro patches display decent upgrades from the base console.

ethomaz

Banned
why? he is right, the ps4 is not a true 1080p console anymore than the xonex is a true 4k console.

he agreed with you.
Well...

Over 90% of PS4 library is 1080p.

X number of native 4k games won't cross 50% of the library... in fact certain is only the 1080p games on XB1 will be 4k on X... that means the small part of the games.

Decent uograde. I'll finish it this time.

It's funny that PS4 vs PS4 Pro threads aren't this neagative. It's usually cheers and confetti when Pro patches display decent upgrades from the base console.
Because the marketing behind... aka "true 4k".

onanie

And your 10s car is unverified by the rain.

I don't know if I should take you guys seriously lol

Tatsumaki senpuu kyaku!

You going to eat the cake too? You and Spencer are going to have to call the ps4 pro a True 4K machine, since it verifiably runs some games at 4K too.

Gestault

It is unverified by Quantum Break.

Implying hardware isn't suited to run 4K games because [a particular game] doesn't run at that resolution follows the same reasoning as saying a car can't reach [a particular speed] because of some added, artificial strain. Talking about something like the 1X compared to the Pro is a question of which is better at hitting that metric, and most importantly, is there a better alternative in that product/price range. That's why a console might be called a "true" 4K machine, in the sense that it's the best option for it.

You going to eat the cake too? You and Spencer are going to have to call the ps4 pro a True 4K machine, since it verifiably runs some games at 4K too.

Oh jeeze. I had assumed you were having a rhetorical exchange, you really are just weirdly brand-focused.

btags

Well...

X number of native 4k games won't cross 50% of the library... in fact certain is only the 1080p games on XB1 will be 4k on X... that means the small part of the games.

Granted, I have yet to see footage of it myself, but KI is supposed to be 4k on the x and it is 900p on xbone. Shadow of Mordor was 900p on xbone, and now the sequel will be 4k on the x (and likely 900p on xbone). So while I agree that it will not be a majority of games, I think we already have evidence that games that had a native res lower than 1080p have the potential to hit native 4k on the x.

El_Chino

Well...

Because the marketing behind... aka "true 4k".
And 900p games...
Two things.

1) You guys took the marketing too literally.

2) Knowing how demanding QB is even with top end PC hardware, then you should know going from 720p to 1440p is impressive for the One X.

FZW

why? he is right, the ps4 is not a true 1080p console anymore than the xonex is a true 4k console.

he agreed with you.

I don't "agree" with him. Just because a console has games that output at a lower resolution than the console was made to do doesn't mean it's not a 1080p/4K console. That's a design choice, not a hardware limitation.

What makes it a 1080p console for me is if the majority of games will natively play that resolution and 90% of the PS4 games are 1080p. the X1X is already has a large amount of native 4K games announced and the console isn't even out yet.

Maybe wait for a sale, but I'd really recommend playing through the game start to finish. You'd see what it does that other games aren't doing, with regards to it's real time lighting. You'll see why it would be a different game without specific approaches.

I mean, I think you can argue that it doesn't do enough for the game or the story to justify such a computationally expensive lighting model, but you can absolutely see the results in the game, and I cannot think of any other game pushing all these same effects.

Again, I'm not sure if they're worth the massive hit the game had to take to it's IQ to get them working at a stable 30fps, but they're there to see at various major set pieces in the game.

ethomaz

Banned
Granted, I have yet to see footage of it myself, but KI is supposed to be 4k on the x and it is 900p on xbone. Shadow of Mordor was 900p on xbone, and now the sequel will be 4k on the x (and likely 900p on xbone). So while I agree that it will not be a majority of games, I think we already have evidence that games that had a native res lower than 1080p have the potential to hit native 4k on the x.

And 900p games...
Let's see this 900p to 4k list at X release...

Phil Spencer needs to have his head checked. PS4 pro a competitor to One S. The One S can't even compete to the OG PS4..
True 4k? That's why only a true handfull 4k games are able to run on the system....

Microsoft just being Microsoft and blowing bullshit up in the air. True they have the best console when it comes to specs, but as always... specs mean shit when you don't have the games to back it up

btags

Phil Spencer needs to have his head checked. PS4 pro a competitor to One S. The One S can't even compete to the OG PS4..
True 4k? That's why only a true handfull 4k games are able to run on the system....

Microsoft just being Microsoft and blowing bullshit up in the air. True they have the best console when it comes to specs, but as always... specs mean shit when you don't have the games to back it up

Good thing this a discussion about software libraries and not a thread on the technical improvements made to an existing game!

Two things.

1) You guys took the marketing too literally.

2) Knowing how demanding QB is even with top end PC hardware, then you should know going from 720p to 1440p is impressive for the One X.

Sounds like you missed my point. Which is fine of itself, but it makes the facepalm extra unnecessary.

Another Xbox thread invaded by the Borg

They have no shame about it either.

It's not enough their precious brand of choice is winning "the war". They have to be loyal foot soldiers at every opportunity, whether it be relevant or not.

The way Phil gets brought up in the negative at every turn you would think he insulted their family or something.

RedRum

Banned

It's not enough their precious brand of choice is winning "the war". They have to be loyal foot soldiers at every opportunity, whether it be relevant or not.

The way Phil gets brought up in the negative at every turn you would think he insulted their family or something.

Every. Single. Xbox. Thread.

If it's a positive thread in any way, they double down on the salt.

Electret

Jump in IQ is really nice. Tearing is a deal-breaker, though. If not fixed I'd take the 1080p mode 10 times out of 10.

Man alive is the fanboy bullshit prevalent in this thread. This forum would be vastly better off if a few dozen of the worst shit-slingers were ejected, since it's usually a core group of posters doing 90% of the shitposting.

Trup1aya

The Pro was designed to push 1080p games to 4K via CB and similar upscaling techniques. The xbox one was designed to push 1080p games to native 4k. All signs point to the X having the horse power to do this IF this is how devs choose to use the power.

The 4k marketing speak is silly because with the right concessions devs can run games at any res on either system . but let's not pretend these two consoles are built with similar approaches in mind. This is what Phil was getting at, and i think most people in this thread are very aware of this, but are being willfully obtuse.

Every. Single. Xbox. Thread.

If it's a positive thread in any way, they double down on the salt.

The butt hurtis fuxking strong here

Another Xbox thread invaded by the Borg
You're making quite the effort to improve the thread

Now can we please continue talking about Quantum Break, the most important game on Xbox

Gestault

The Pro was designed to push 1080p games to 4K via CB and similar upscaling techniques. The xbox one was designed to push 1080p games to native 4k.

The 4k marketing speak is silly because with the right concessions devs can run games at any res on either system . but let's not pretend these two consoles are built with similar approaches in mind. This is what Phil was getting at, and i think most people in tbis thread are very aware of this.

The resolution mode built around 1440p we're already seeing demo'd for Quantum Break absolutely reinforces that conclusion, too. Those familiar with the performance requirements for QB (as explicitely spelled out by DF, in both the video and by Dark in the thread) seem happy with the result, aside from the tearing and some inconsistency in the early build.

I'm a big Remedy fan, and I'm surprised QB is getting this post-launch attention for the 1X in the first place.

The Pro was designed to push 1080p games to 4K via CB and similar upscaling techniques. The xbox one was designed to push 1080p games to native 4k.

The 4k marketing speak is silly because with the right concessions devs can run games at any res on either system . but let's not pretend these two consoles are built with similar approaches in mind. This is what Phil was getting at, and i think most people in tbis thread are very aware of this.

Right.

This game has some of the blurriest graphics on the Xbox One, because of the approach the developers took. Trying to use it to suggest some PR mouth piece shouldn't have tried to claim the Xbox One X is a 'true' 4K console (when that disclaimer is hardly some objective standard) is stupid.

A game that couldn't push more than 720p due to it's lighting and various other effects isn't the benchmark to use when it comes to internal rendering resolution on a console where almost all the other games on the Xbox One run at higher resolutions.

Native 4K is the target for this system. It may or may not hit that target better than the Xbox One hit it's native 1080p target... but native 4K was not the target of the PS4 Pro, and pointing that out shouldn't make PS4 Pro owners that, like myself, aren't planning on buying an Xbox One X so butt hurt as to bring this up in a thread about the improvements made to Quantum Break.

As someone who enjoyed Quantum Break (though it's not nearly as good as Remedy's last three big releases) it's great to see the improvements they've made over the Xbox One version (which I played a lot of).

If your reaction is to take the fact this particular game is rendering geometry at 1440p to somehow knock the Xbox One X, then you don't know shit about the game or the technology powering it.

pixelation

So i was right, the XBO-X is nothing more than MS's version of the PS4 Pro. People here were trumpeting it to be basically a whole new gen advancement tech wise speaking and i see that's not the case (as i thought).

c0de

So i was right, the XBO-X is nothing more than MS's version of the PS4 Pro. People here were trumpeting it to be basically a whole new gen advancement tech wise speaking and i see that's not the case (as i thought).

Congratulations! It's good to have people like you on here.

Daingurse

Interesting. I was wondering if they were going to make any changes to this game on the Xbox One X, seeing as it's one of the benchmark games for the X1. Loved QB on the PC despite how much of clusterfuck the port was, and found the game to be just gorgeous graphically.

Who are you talking about?

At this point, it's pretty much understood by all that Xbox One X is an improved Xbox One, like PS4 Pro is an improved PS4.

Top Bottom