• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Quantum Break Xbox One X vs Xbox One: First Look

El_Chino

No, this one should:

Or this one:

IS4c.png

Xbox version of Quantum Break is not running on Ultra quality either which means that it should be even some 30-50% faster on PC. Game's really not that hard to run on 60 fps on a modern PC in 1440p.

Otherwise, 1440p native was expected as it's exactly a quadruple of XBO's 720p mode. 1080p native inclusion is nice for those with 1080p TVs.
That first one has to be with upscaling on.

https://youtu.be/UTgfnZnHzVM

Gawddam the salt levels are insane..and why? You all knew the X hurricane is coming this Nov. 7th..that's how it will be be from this point on.."The Plat King" has returned.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Restarted, the resolution wars have...

In all seriousness it's pretty impressive that the X can run this game at 1440p native with just a few hiccups considering it was done by a single developer. That game murdered even the beefiest of PC GPU's at 1440p native at launch.

I hope Phil pays for a nice Holiday for the developer and his family or at the very least a free X console.

Am I taking crazy pills here when I say that is common knowledge that:

A) True 4k is a multitude of experiences not just relating to resolution.

B) MS never said that every game would be true 4K, let alone games to be enhanced after the fact.

C) That the console is capable of what MS deems is True 4K and it is up to the developer to decide if their game should meet this kind of performance.

Why are people cherry picking the phrase?
All this is correct but console wars and immaturity doesn't take that into a factor

dr_rus

They are with scaling on so use the 4k results to match xbx (ultra quality aside)

Both results of 1060 and 480 in 1080p are closer to scaling being off than on as per this page: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-09/quantum-break-steam-benchmark/2/

It's really annoying that they (or a lot of other websites) don't really state explicitly the settings they are using for benchmarking.

It's also absolutely misleading to put the Ultra quality aside, because of this:

dT4c.png

Xbox version of QB runs on a mix of medium and high settings AFAIK which means +30-50% to the results of the PC benchmarks.

Both results of 1060 and 480 in 1080p are closer to scaling being off than on as per this page: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-09/quantum-break-steam-benchmark/2/

It's really annoying that they (or a lot of other websites) don't really state explicitly the settings they are using for benchmarking.

It's also absolutely misleading to put the Ultra quality aside, because of this:

dT4c.png

Xbox version of QB runs on a mix of medium and high settings AFAIK which means +30-50% to the results of the PC benchmarks.

Im not downplaying the effects of ultra settings, i meant it to clarify that only the resolution aspect of the benchmarks would be equivalent and not the quality presets. Thx for the graph tho as i stated earlier i didnt know how much the ultra settings hit performance

Head.spawn

How does CPU factor into this? XBO certainly doesn't have a koosh i7 to fallback on.

dr_rus

How does CPU factor into this? XBO certainly doesn't have a koosh i7 to fallback on.

I would presume that CPU is pretty much irrelevant as the game is 100% GPU limited all the time in whatever modes people are playing usually (1080p/1440p/High/Ultra).

Damn shame about the performance, but holy crap does increased resolution do this game a world of difference. I thought it looked pretty good on the Xbox One, but the blurriness killed a lot of the visual flair for me. Hopefully the performance can be ironed out before the Xbox One X comes out.

dsk1210

For what is worth, i had troubles with native 1440p on a 980Ti. 1440p for XBone is impressive IMHO.

I would imagine that was not capped at 30fps though like the console version.

To me the image look better with reconstruction at a slightly lower less resolution as it applies 4xmsaa to all effects, where as native resolution only applies it to some effects if I remember correctly. (This was on PC)

onanie

but if you're willing to accept one such as "10 second car", then you can't reasonably reject one like True 4K either

A 10 second car is understood to have been verified by one universal condition - a dry straight.

There is no universal game to define a "true 4K" machine. The label would be significant statement of uniqueness, if it accomplishes 4K consistently. Or trivial, as in the case of all gaming machines potentially, if it accomplishes 4K sometimes.

Synth

A 10 second car is understood to have been verified by one universal condition - a dry straight.

There is no universal game to define a "true 4K" machine. The label would be significant statement of uniqueness, if it accomplishes 4K consistently. Or trivial, as in the case of all gaming machines potentially, if it accomplishes 4K sometimes.

There isn't a universal "dry straight" either. It's just an accepted term that ignores other variables (wind for example, which would still be "dry").

As the post I linked to implies, the Xbox One X can do a 1080p XB1 game at 4K native. It can do this consistently with overhead to spare, and was designed for this to be the case. It's something that is consistently reproducible (even if a developer opts to improve the game in other ways instead). Variations between individual games are like variations in weather and surface... the car realistically will encounter them, and as such won't function as a "10 second car" under all real-world conditions... but that doesn't matter to the term.

Koobion

People are both so hostile and so defensive with this, lol...why? Hopefully the performance issues get fixed :) The resolution bump is pretty nice!

shandy706

You know you can be a Xbox fan without making absolutely ridiculous posts about the competition?

I have a PS4 and an Xbox One. Anyone that thinks the Pro could handle QB anywhere near the X1X is a certified idiot.

It pushes my 980Ti and other high-end GPUs to the wall on PC.

The guy is probably just frustrated with arguments.

KageMaru

I think the "true 4K" trolling needs to stop. Anyone with a brain knows this was a term used to differentiate their console with another competing 4K console. Surprisingly most of the games we've heard about seem to be native 4K, so they have properly demonstrated the consoles power IMO. We'll still see sub-4K consoles next gen and I doubt anyone would doubt that those systems were 4K consoles.

There has been insecure posts on both sides ,both sides

How horrible is it that I thought about Trump's "both sides" comments reading this? Lol

Edit:

I have a PS4 and an Xbox One. Anyone that thinks the Pro could handle QB anywhere near the X1X is a certified idiot.

It pushes my 980Ti and other high-end GPUs to the wall on PC.

The guy is probably just frustrated with arguments.

I agree that some Xbox fans are acting as bad as the PS4 fans, but this post confuses me. If both the Pro and 1X are CBR 4K, the 1X version should still look better.

There's no technical reason the 1X shouldn't look better just like there's no technical reason the PS4 shouldn't look better than the XBO. Budgets and resources are the only limiting factors in this equation.

KageMaru

That was the intent, though people downplaying XBX are nowhere near Trump and his ilk regardless of how off topic they are.

Well played if that was the intention. I have a few drinks in me so things may go over my head. Also yes, you could be the worst fanboy for whatever platform but you'll still not be as bad as a Trump supporter lol

c0de

There's no technical reason the 1X shouldn't look better just like there's no technical reason the PS4 shouldn't look better than the XBO. Budgets and resources are the only limiting factors in this equation.

But the id buffer!!!

KageMaru

But the id buffer!!!

The funniest thing about that is the people who are the first to point to the ID Buffer benefits, which do exist, are also some of the first to claim the CBR artifacts aren't noticeable at normal viewing angles.

onanie

There isn't a universal "dry straight" either. It's just an accepted term that ignores other variables (wind for example, which would still be "dry").
The universal dry straight would infer average conditions, and produce reproducible results. There is no single universal game to define a "true 4K" machine, what with the variable technical demands between different games.

As the post I linked to implies, the Xbox One X can do a 1080p XB1 game at 4K native.

An xbone game, as such, is not this universal metric to define a "True 4K" machine.

I will reiterate. Either the "True 4K" statement is a significantly unique claim, which is not the case for the xox, or is trivial as more sub 4k games surface on the xox side.

Of course, resolution is ultimately a developer's artistic choice.

jaypah

Well played if that was the intention. I have a few drinks in me so things may go over my head. Also yes, you could be the worst fanboy for whatever platform but you'll still not be as bad as a Trump supporter lol

Oh, wait. I'm drinking too (cue avatar quote) so maybe don't listen to me lol.

To post on topic: Anyone think the grain filter was removed to make the comparison seem that much sharper? Also, do you expect the final game to include a toggle or have no option for that "Sharpness Pow!" much like the crushed blacks from the XB1 launch?

Synth

The universal dry straight would infer average conditions, and produce reproducible results. There is no single universal game to define a "true 4K" machine, what with the variable technical demands between different games.

An xbone game, as such, is not this universal metric to define a "True 4K" machine.

I will reiterate. Either the "True 4K" statement is a significantly unique claim, which is not the case for the xox, or is trivial as more sub 4k games surface on the xox side.

Of course, resolution is ultimately a developer's artistic choice.

It's trivial regardless. It's a marketing term, defined as the marketer wishes.

What are "average conditions"? Each qualifier you add leaves an extra layer of assumption. There is no universal "average conditions" either. By that same standard there are universal averages for games. 1080p30 or 1080p60 could be considered the universal average Xbox One game that needs to be able to render at either 4k30 or 4k60. Which the XB1X can do, and if spec'd equivalent to a PS4Pro it wouldn't be able to. No need to over-complicate it. It's not a very useful term, but neither is "10 second car". They both simply describe a level of perdormance. The performance in both cases is constant, but the results - based on other factors - are not.

Synth

This would be the most relevant graph actually given they said it's 1080p with scaling off. I played it at 1080p30 with a 970 when it came out which was good. That's how I recommend people play the X1X version too

It wouldn't be the most relevant graph if the game remains capped at 30fps, because you would never know its average.

The scaled 1440p comparison makes sense, because we know two things.

1) It can't maintain the 30fps cap at that resolution.
2) It's not like setting your PS4 to 720p and playing Arkham Knight, and then contrasting it with a 720p PC benchmark.

I decided to launch the game and mess around with the first level "The Experiment"

I have a 6600K@4.3GHZ, 1070@1936MHZ, 16GB DDR4@3GHZ

1440p Ultra was 30-40fps

1440p Medium(XB1 settings according to Digital Foundry) 50-60fps

4K Ultra 20-30fps

4K Medium(XB1 settings according to Digital Foundry) Locked at 30fps with 50-55%GPU usage

I think the XB1X will do 1440p just fine.

Some posts here said the game didn't look good....Ok

No upscaling

onanie

It's trivial regardless. It's a marketing term, defined as the marketer wishes.

What are "average conditions"? Each qualifier you add leaves an extra layer of assumption. There is no universal "average conditions" either. By that same standard there are universal averages for games. 1080p30 or 1080p60 could be considered the universal average Xbox One game that needs to be able to render at either 4k30 or 4k60. Which the XB1X can do, and if spec'd equivalent to a PS4Pro it wouldn't be able to. No need to over-complicate it. It's not a very useful term, but neither is "10 second car". They both simply describe a level of perdormance. The performance in both cases is constant, but the results - based on other factors - are not.

Car results are consistent on a dry straight. On the other hand, with any possible game as an arbitrary metric, 4K is a controversial achievement.

The xox is not able to render a 1080p PS4 game at 4K, as it is not 4 times the power of the ps4. By this different arbitrary metric, the xox is then not a True 4K machine.

Synth

Car results are consistent on a dry straight. On the other hand, with any possible game as an arbitrary metric, 4K is a controversial achievement.

The xox is not able to render a 1080p PS4 game at 4K, as it is not 4 times the power of the ps4. By this different arbitrary metric, the xox is then not a True 4K machine.

Yes, but like you say, that would be a different arbitrary metric, like covering a half kilometer would be a different arbitrary metric.. but it would be a metric that it could have been consistently tested against if the XB1X could play PS4 games. It can't though, so that metric would make no sense because it would be unqualifiable. 1080p games on XB1 on the other hand can be, and the console would consistently manage to output them at 4K resolution. It's only a controversial achievement if for some reason you find yourself invested against them labelling the console as such. The console is 4.6x times more powerful than the XB1... it would need to be 4x as powerful for 4K, so they consider it to be 4K ready, whereas under the same conditions it wouldn't be if it was 3.4 times as powerful.

onQ123

How horrible is it that I thought about Trump's "both sides" comments reading this? Lol

That was the point lol

Edit:

I agree that some Xbox fans are acting as bad as the PS4 fans, but this post confuses me. If both the Pro and 1X are CBR 4K, the 1X version should still look better.

I'm not sure where you're getting that I'm saying Xbox One X wouldn't look better I only pointed out that you can't say that PS4 Pro would be below 1440P without knowing how much GPU resource went into the reconstruction because PS4 Pro has hardware for this type of stuff.

Like how Insomniac is using that hardware with a frame buffer half of 4K that they say is better to them than Checkerboard 4K so who is to say that Remedy wouldn't have used this hardware for this game without lowering the base resolution from 1440P?

Edit: never mind you was replying to someone else at that part

But the id buffer!!!

It's not just the ID Buffer

wNOzAQX.jpg

The funniest thing about that is the people who are the first to point to the ID Buffer benefits, which do exist, are also some of the first to claim the CBR artifacts aren't noticeable at normal viewing angles.

How does these 2 things contradict each other? also when did I say that CBR artifacts aren't noticeable at normal viewing angles?

onanie

Yes, but like you say, that would be a different arbitrary metric, like covering a half kilometer would be a different arbitrary metric.. but it would be a metric that it could have been consistently tested against if the XB1X could play PS4 games. It can't though, so that metric would make no sense because it would be unqualifiable.

If you are unaware, there are multiplatform 1080p games on the ps4 which are 900p on the xbone. The xox will not be able to render such games at 4k, at the exact same settings as the base ps4. As such, if your basic metric is 1080p regardless of brand, the xox is not a True 4K machine.

oatmeal

Banned
I will forever be annoyed that I tried to start a new game and it immediately deleted my old save so I couldn't jump around and play different chapters.

Whoever's idea that was is a fucking idiot.

Synth

If you are unaware, there are multiplatform 1080p games on the ps4 which are 900p on the xbone. The xox will not be able to render such games at 4k, at the exact same settings as the base ps4. As such, if your basic metric is 1080p regardless of brand, the xox is not a True 4K machine.

If wouldn't be "regardless of brand" though, because that would be stupid. What happens when a PS4 Pro game becomes 1080p? Should the XB1X then render that at 4K all else unchanged also?

You're struggling with the term simply because you're the one looking towards flexible definitions. Keep it simple. XB1 game is 1080p, can it run at 4K consistently at the same levels of performance (Y/N)? Done. That's what they consider a "True 4K machine". You can't leave it completely open-ended, because that would be like not specifying the distance a 10 second car needs to cover, and instead basing it on the fluctuating distances other cars can cover in 10 seconds. That would be stupid, so would benchmarking the XB1X off PS4 games.

I will forever be annoyed that I tried to start a new game and it immediately deleted my old save so I couldn't jump around and play different chapters.

Whoever's idea that was is a fucking idiot.

Thanks for sharing. I almost certainly would have done this too.

Space_nut

this is so wrong MS has had games that were 900p run at 4k with no problem

onanie

If wouldn't be "regardless of brand" though, because that would be stupid. What happens when a PS4 Pro game becomes 1080p? Should the XB1X then render that at 4K all else unchanged also?
Would anyone subscribe to that stupidity, knowing the pro is the same mid gen refresh as the xox?

Base ps4 is from the same generation as the xb1, and inarguably the more widely adopted platform. A maximised 1080p ps4 game can't run at 4K on the xox. As such, it can't be considered by anyone (who is not limited to the xbone perspective) to be a true 4K machine.

Norse

Would anyone subscribe to that stupidity, knowing the pro is the same mid gen refresh as the xox?

Base ps4 is from the same generation as the xb1, and inarguably the more widely adopted platform. A maximised 1080p ps4 game can't run at 4K on the xox. As such, it can't be considered by anyone (who is not limited to the xbone perspective) to be a true 4K machine.

The fact is, a game produced for both ps4 and xbone will most likely be better on the 1X than any ps4 model available. That's all that matters.

Synth

this is so wrong MS has had games that were 900p run at 4k with no problem

Yea, but we don't know how consistently that would be achievable. There are all sorts of reasons why a 900p game could be 4K on XB1X:

- The memory configuration is the issue (deferred rendering often caused this).
- Game runs at 40-50fps average on both PS4 and XB1, and is capped to 30fps.
- 1080p was a narrowly missed target, and 900p was settled on.
- Game needs 40% more performance to move from 900p to 1080p.

The last of these would be the most likely to not manage native 4K on XB1X, as it would imply the 1.8TF of the PS4 is what was necessary, leaving the requirement closer to the 8TF Cerny is quoted as being the target for native 4K (would you look at that! he picked something that would handle 4x the PS4... how strange!).

Here's the thing though. Even if the XB1X were a 8TF console, it still wouldn't make sense to base it's 4K credentials on the PS4.. because it couldn't be verified. Multiplat games don't work, as they're not actually the same game despite all the similarities, and disparities aren't consistent to the hardware. A 1080p PS4 game may be a 1080p, 900p or 720p XB1 game... but a 1080p XB1 game is always a 1080p XB1 game. And you don't have unanswerable questions like "could it run Horizon Zero Dawn at native 4K".

Generation doesn't matter, that's the most arbitrary measurement of all. The Wii sold 100m, so by that measure the 360 and PS3 would be comfortably 1080p consoles. But they can never play Wii software, and the XB1X can never play PS4 software, so its irrelevant.

Obviously very few people would bring something as ridiculous as the PS4 Pro up when talking about the XB1X rendering at 4K, but if you're going to start throwing "regardless of brand" in, then you could similarly throw in "regardless of generation" also. Ports aren't all made equal, and so they would be a meaningless metric. Running the same software isn't on the other hand.

onanie

Generation doesn't matter, that's the most arbitrary measurement of all. The Wii sold 100m, so by that measure the 360 and PS3 would be comfortably 1080p consoles. But they can never play Wii software, and the XB1X can never play PS4 software, so its irrelevant.

Obviously very few people would bring something as ridiculous as the PS4 Pro up when talking about the XB1X rendering at 4K, but if you're going to start throwing "regardless of brand" in, then you could similarly throw in "regardless of generation" also. Ports aren't all made equal, and so they would be a meaningless metric. Running the same software isn't on the other hand.

Why does generation not matter? ps4 and xbone came out at the same technological timeframe. You should't let your brand preference limit you to using the xbone as the basic metric.

And what world are you living in? There are multiplatform games, running on both ps4 and xbone. Those that run exclusively at 1080p on ps4, will not run at 4k on the xox at the exact same settings.

Top Bottom