• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Quantum Break Xbox One X vs Xbox One: First Look

Just a few I remember off the top of my head:

Killer Instinct
Titanfall 2
The Surge
Fortnite
Dishonored 2
Project Cars 2
Recore
The Surge should have no issues getting to 4K. The game runs at 1800p native on Pro, offering also a locked 60 fps at 1080p. It may be possible that the X offers 4K 30/1440p 60. I doubt PC2 is gonna get there, but it should reach 1800p with no much compromise. I have no clue about the rest.

ResoRai

Wasn't expecting to, but would've loved to see this at native 4K. Would look spectacular. Will look great regardless and a big jump compared to the x1. I do hope input lag was worked on a bit though.

Looks like I almost much nailed the resolution used to retroconstruction.

720p to 1440p is the jump expected with the X power... 1080p games will probably reach the true native 4k buzz from MS.
Was this part necessary? Lol

Gren

Yuck at screen tearing. What with their approach to BC titles being triple-buffered, I had hoped this was something they would've done away with moving forward.

So i was right, the XBO-X is nothing more than MS's version of the PS4 Pro. People here were trumpeting it to be basically a whole new gen advancement tech wise speaking and i see that's not the case (as i thought).

giphy.gif

Gaenor

Banned
You're making quite the effort to improve the thread

Now can we please continue talking about Quantum Break, the most important game on Xbox

Why even say that ?

This thread is good for the dumpster honestly. I feel like this a free-for-all "Gamefaqs-type" of thread.

Night.Ninja

Banned
You're making quite the effort to improve the thread

Now can we please continue talking about Quantum Break, the most important game on Xbox

How? the thread is dead, as usual the Borg comes through and fucks up everything for everyone.

Can't even discuss the improvements it's just ms said 4K phill said this phill said that PS4 PS4. Its boring

thelastword

Banned
Read up on this.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1401468

And I don't know about release dates but these 900p games are getting support. We'll find out what their resolutions will be soon enough.

Titanfall 2
Homefront 2
FF XV
For Honor
Dead Rising 4

Just to name a few
You know what, at least let the patches surface before making definitive lists. We all thought AC would be 4k Native too, remember...You remember the thread on Ark Survival, I mean ark survival.?

TitanFall2 = Looks like it will be dynamic, lets wait on that one.

Homefront 2 at 4k = I don't think so, this game is 1440p on Pro.

FFXV = We shall see, Has this been confirmed? I don't see 1800p CB on PRO moving to native 4k on XBONEX, but we shall see..

For Honor = 4k native 30fps is possible with some lower settings, but you must know that a GTX 1060 at 4K does dip below 30fps quite frequently at ultra settings.

Dead Rising 4 = We shall see, maybe with some settings stripped down, but CPU is also a concern with some of these titles as well....FYI, an Oc'd RX 480 runs this just about 30fps with dips below 30fps. Though it runs better on AMD hardware, so that should be a boon to XBONEX, but GPU is hardly the biggest problem for this title..

All in all, we won't know conclusively till any of these patches goes live, but we can also read between the lines on comparable hardware to see what's possible or not. Many devs are saying 4k, but it's not and won't be native in every scenario...

Head.spawn

The Surge should have no issues getting to 4K. The game runs at 1800p native on Pro, offering also a locked 60 fps at 1080p. It may be possible that the X offers 4K 30/1440p 60. I doubt PC2 is gonna get there, but it should reach 1800p with no much compromise. I have no clue about the rest.

Ahh, yeah, you're correct. My bad. I completely forgot PC2 decided to go for 1800p instead.

I thought the X eliminated screen tearing?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that was that in reference to VRR/FreeSync2; which will eliminate that for the most part. We've already seen a few games that are confirmed for Xbox One X enhancement on the marketplace tagged for VRR compatibility.

You know what, at least let the patches surface before making definitive lists. We all thought AC would be 4k Native too, remember...You remember the thread on Ark Survival, I mean ark survival.?

TitanFall2 = Looks like it will be dynamic, lets wait on that one.

Homefront 2 at 4k = I don't think so, this game is 1440p on Pro.

FFXV = We shall see, Has this been confirmed? I don't see 1800p CB on PRO moving to native 4k on XBONEX, but we shall see..

For Honor = 4k native 30fps is possible with some lower settings, but you must know that a GTX 1060 at 4K does dip below 30fps quite frequently at ultra settings.

Dead Rising 4 = We shall see, maybe with some settings stripped down, but CPU is also a concern with some of these titles as well....FYI, an Oc'd RX 480 runs this just about 30fps with dips below 30fps. Though it runs better on AMD hardware, so that should be a boon to XBONEX, but GPU is hardly the biggest problem for this title..

All in all, we won't know conclusively till any of these patches goes live, but we can also read between the lines on comparable hardware to see what's possible or not. Many devs are saying 4k, but it's not and won't be native in every scenario...

FF XV is "3K". Whatever that is.

This game wasn't made by a MS first party.

Plus, there's like on a handful over games that can match or outshine QB in the graphics department.

Really? I’ve never thought it was a looker. I couldn’t believe it when people were going on about the graphics pre-release either.

Gestault

I thought the X eliminated screen tearing?

You're probably thinking of the implementation for the backward compatible games, which adds that as a standard feature. In a normal context, it's whether the framebuffer is ready for the next frame, and whether it's better to "wait" and introduce stutter, or do the partial frame over the previous frame. It's uncommon in higher-end settings, but this is also a work-in-progress demo of the update.

I know it's an impressive jump but I'm still disappointed. The One X was advertised as a "True 4K console" and MS wouldn't shut up saying that word and now it seems none of the games that interest me are "true 4k"

It was obvious what we were getting here. Many tried to warn some of you not to get your hopes up too much. Hopefully, they keep their word in regards to the actual games they make directly (i see no reason why they wouldn’t).

Have you played the game? The lighting alone makes it one of the most impressive games of this generation.

No, The game wasn’t for me at the time (backlog).I’ve watched videos for the console version and I’m just never impressed. Someone actually made a comment similar to yours around release and I went and pulled up more vids and I’ve just never thought much of it personally. I have nothing against the game, I love max payne.

As a Max Payne fan, do you think I’d dig this one?

If you were using gaf as your gauge, where most threads were mocking the game by using a super zoomed in shot of one characters face, screencapped from youtube, with facial details obscured by smoke/steam in that particular scene... yeah, I could see that.

Outside of that, no the game looked great IMO. One of the best effects showcases this gen and has one of the best lighting/global illumination models as well.

I’ll give a try on my One X for sure. Might be one I just need to see in person.

Head.spawn

Really? I've never thought it was a looker. I couldn't believe it when people were going on about the graphics pre-release either.

If you were using gaf as your gauge, where most threads were mocking the game by using a super zoomed in shot of one characters face, screencapped from youtube, with facial details obscured by smoke/steam in that particular scene... yeah, I could see that.

Outside of that, no the game looked great IMO. One of the best effects showcases this gen and has one of the best lighting/global illumination models as well.

Anything Xbox related during gaf #resolutiongate era is some completely distorted bizarro-world stuff.

Yes, but how many games run at 720p on PS4 anyway....PS4 was never so weak that it needed to run such games at 720p. The XBONEX is significantly more powerful than the XB1 as opposed to PS4 to PRO.....

True, but consider the average performance delta and it's very likely ps4 would not run this game anywhere near close to 1080p either.

Anyway, my point was: Pro has (many) upgrades that falls below what they should achieve with the processing power increase, likely to not having enough ram. This game isn't an example of that. It's quadrupling the base resolution AND improving settings up a notch. Performance isn't there yet, but very few games come close to matching that jump on the pro.

In any case, most of these 1440p games were quick fire pro patches or devs which did not want to use CB for whatever reason...
And this is a patch done by one developer on his spare time. It could potentially be bigger if it had proper resources dedicated to it, but that's speculative work.

Still, this is probably the least xbonex upgrade thus far and still would be one of the best pro upgrades

You don't know that, what graphical settings is this running at? CB on this game on PRO would look much sharper than this T.I implementation I'm seeing here.
I know the performance delta is big enough to ensure that if xbonex is struggling with this game at this settings and resolution that pro would struggle even more.

And CB wouldn't be applicable in this case because it can't bring a 1440p image to 4k, and pro having the performance to run it at higher resolutions are a long shot at best.

RedRum

Banned
Am I taking crazy pills here when I say that is common knowledge that:

A) True 4k is a multitude of experiences not just relating to resolution.

B) MS never said that every game would be true 4K, let alone games to be enhanced after the fact.

C) That the console is capable of what MS deems is True 4K and it is up to the developer to decide if their game should meet this kind of performance.

Why are people cherry picking the phrase?

LowSignal

Am I taking crazy pills here when I say that is common knowledge that:

A) True 4k is a multitude of experiences not just relating to resolution.

B) MS never said that every game would be true 4K, let alone games to be enhanced after the fact.

C) That the console is capable of what MS deems is True 4K and it is up to the developer to decide if their game should meet this kind of performance.

Why are people cherry picking the phrase?

Easy because console wars.

On topic I cant wait to try QB on my XBX I really enjoyed playing it but wouldn't mind running through again to get some of the achievements I didn't get the first time,

I thought few games this generation did the facial mocap better than QB.

I get what you mean. Kind of dopey of me, didn’t even think of the mocap in regards to graphics. The motion capture was definitely a high point from what I saw.

We’ll be getting the original GOAT of mocap with LA Noire soon lol.

RedRum

Banned
I get what you mean. Kind of dopey of me, didn’t even think of the mocap in regards to graphics. The motion capture was definitely a high point from what I saw.

We’ll be getting the original GOAT of mocap with LA Noire soon lol.

Amen to that. When did that game come out? 2010? 2017 and it's still very difficult to top that kind of facial animation fidelity that game had.

Leonidas

Pretty impressive resolution wise considering the performance at that resolution on PC.

GTX-1070-REVIEWS-76.jpg

Xbox One X runs it at a much higher resolution than what I played the game on using a 980 Ti two years ago.

btags

Amen to that. When did that game come out? 2010? 2017 and it's still very difficult to top that kind of facial animation fidelity that game had.

I am actually curious about that. The game looked amazing for its time, but due to the way the technology was implemented, the faces can actually look kind of flat because a lot of the facial details and animations are basically just textured, and not modeled geometry. I would expect a higher resolution would make this more apparent. Also, some of the textures for the faces were slightly low res, so unless they improve the quality for the rerelease I expect some of the faces to look blurry.

For example, look at the woman's face here, which was taken from the pc version of the game. Still looks pretty decent though.

thelastword

Banned
Pretty impressive resolution wise considering the performance at that resolution on PC.

GTX-1070-REVIEWS-76.jpg

Xbox One X runs it at a much higher resolution than what I played the game on using a 980 Ti two years ago.
Nvidia plus DX11 performance is better on PC, that is the steam version...AMD hardware was better in DX12, but saw no uptick in DX11 performance when the steam version landed unlike NV hardware...

An RX 480 runs this at around 40fps at 1080p max settings, so at 1440p you will get a sharp decline since this game is not a resolution junkie...Hence why XBONEX is falling below 30fps with tearing at that rez.

Trup1aya

900p XB1 games should all hit 4K. 5times the pixels with 5 times the GPU power. Yeah?

4K is a best case scenario for a 900p xb1 game. More than likely getting it all the way would take some extra tinkering and many devs would just settle on something else.

Tarrin

Looks good.

Too bad there's no 60fps, but oh well.

It is nice that QB will finally be bumped to 1080p. Much appreciated.

Though much like the Pro, I wonder if the 1X will be worth it if I don't have a 4k screen.

It seems wrong that this was built by only one dev, and on their spare time.

Game devs don't typically have lots of spare time. If it's that easy, MS should be paying to update their exclusives.

I hope the dev gets a fat bonus this year.

EvB

I’ve pointed this out before, but the Pc version of quantum break has many of in game cutscenes pre-rendered. I assumed this is the same on Xbox One.
Digital Foundry didn’t pick this up on their initial Face off and frame counted the FMV.

It might be possible that the Current Xbox X is running these in real time and the Xbox One S is just playing a video.

AmyS

Nice work. I hope DS3 and SO get an update too. Looking forward to playing Anthem, Ori2, Metro Exodus and RDR2 on the 1X. DF surely has their work cut out for them once this console joins the PC, switch ,pro and other base consoles.

This.

I'm not playing Metro Exodus on anything less than the XB1X (assuming I don't have a PC that can run it at 60fps).

As for RDR2, it should really be glorious on both XB1X and PS4 Pro.

dr_rus

This graph should be in the op

No, this one should:

Or this one:

IS4c.png

Xbox version of Quantum Break is not running on Ultra quality either which means that it should be even some 30-50% faster on PC. Game's really not that hard to run on 60 fps on a modern PC in 1440p.

Otherwise, 1440p native was expected as it's exactly a quadruple of XBO's 720p mode. 1080p native inclusion is nice for those with 1080p TVs.

kuYuri

No, this one should:

Or this one:

IS4c.png

Xbox version of Quantum Break is not running on Ultra quality either which means that it should be even some 30-50% faster on PC. Game's really not that hard to run on 60 fps on a modern PC in 1440p.

Otherwise, 1440p native was expected as it's exactly a quadruple of XBO's 720p mode. 1080p native inclusion is nice for those with 1080p TVs.

I'm guessing these graphs are with scaling on?

Leyasu

Banned
Are we going to go through this level of trolling in every 1X .

This thread is a nightmare. Is this honestly how its going to be in DF threads the next 2 to 3 years now that the Xbox will have the more powerful hardware? GAF is gonna go crazy over this lol.
This is as good as its gonna get on here once the x is released.

The threads are gonna be disaster zones.

btags

I’ve pointed this out before, but the Pc version of quantum break has many of in game cutscenes pre-rendered. I assumed this is the same on Xbox One.
Digital Foundry didn’t pick this up on their initial Face off and frame counted the FMV.

It might be possible that the Current Xbox X is running these in real time and the Xbox One S is just playing a video.

If this is true, and there are a significant amount of prerendered scenes, then you could tell if the file size is smaller on the x if they do not increase texture quality or something. But it seems like it would be kind of crazy for one person to go and make all of the prerendered cutscenes run in realtime, if they are not already, for an entire game.

Hexer06

Man... I've already gotten all the achievements for this game. Might go thru it a little bit and play again just to see the improvements. Really really wish they had a horde mode or something. I'll take any extra content to make me come back. Sadly, it's never gonna happen. :/

rashbeep

Banned

Iirc the section that DF was comparing was real time.

kuYuri

No, it's just a different part of the game most likely. Tbh, I don't know how Hardware Canucks are getting such low results.

The performance seems not bad then. A 1080 doing 80FPS~ at 1440p Ultra on DX11 sounds good enough to me, I would be fairly satisfied with that kind of performance since the game is very demanding. But that's just me.

The XB1X version seems to still be using mostly medium quality settings at this time, I wonder if they will be improving the settings or if it's just going to be a straight resolution increase.

This is the definition of polishing a turd. I really didn't enjoy this game but I made myself finish it to see it through. Hopefully this is just good practice for remedy's next game which turns out much better.

Synth

A 10 second car, if verified, is consistently reproducible. Not so for the xox, it seems.

I don't really agree with labels like "True 4K", or hell even "Full HD" (the Genesis claimed to have high definition graphics also)... but if you're willing to accept one such as "10 second car", then you can't reasonably reject one like True 4K either. A "10 second car" is quite obviously not going to be a 10 second car under all circumstances. Forget even talking about rain, just driving it uphill would fuck that metric over. It's consistently reproducible because the term was defined to have a specific set of conditions that it would need to satisfy, and those conditions would -whether stated explicitly or not - account for situations where a car that would run a quarter-mile in under 11secs would not be able to if the variables are changed.

So, considering "True 4K" would be a similarly made-up moniker, what is the criteria that it must satisfy that you're arguing it is incapable of? Obviously it can't be to run every game at 4K, unless that resolution became mandated.. because if you're allowed to run a game at 1080p with additional bells and whistles on XB1X, then the same console clearly won't be able to run the same game at that fidelity at native 4K. The most logical extrapolation to make would be that with 1080p being the current TV standard, and 4K being the growing standard, the console should be able to run a game that the XB1 outputs at 1080p at native 4K. The math for this checks out, and it would be consistently reproducible, just like a "10 second car" is. By this same metric, you would then be able to differentiate the PS4P as not being "True 4K" by the same metric... which is the advantage of creating your own metric.

Top Bottom