• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Quantum Break Xbox One X vs Xbox One: First Look

onQ123

And we don't know anything about gains.

Exactly! that was my point someone said that the game would be at a lower resolution on PS4 Pro & I said not really because PS4 Pro has hardware to help with this type of stuff.

I was saying that he can't be sure of that because he don't know how much of the GPU resource was used for the reconstruction technique

c0de

Exactly! that was my point someone said that the game would be at a lower resolution on PS4 Pro & I said not really because PS4 Pro has hardware to help with this type of stuff.

I was saying that he can't be sure of that because he don't know how much of the GPU resource was used for the reconstruction technique

Well, if you think the id buffer will make up for the lack of GPU power, than I still can't agree with that.
But we will see in the future how many games will have the same resolution on both systems.

Are Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of War and other AAA games hitting true 4K?

Edit: Oh I see, none of the games "That interest you" are hitting 4K, makes sense now, where's that ignore button...

Already played through Tomb Raider twice. Shadow of War doesn't look interesting but I'll keep my eye on it. AC Origins is not Native 4K.

dreamfall

720p to 1440p with Reconstruction is pretty wild!

But still, I'm feeling like if they can't get a locked 30fps - these resolutions boosts are all for naught. The original felt stable as hell, and yes I wish it was 1080/60. But the PC port was such a mess, so I wasn't expecting it in the slightest. I'm feeling conflicted - I loved the game, and I'm excited to try it out on Scorpio. One man-made patch or not, I kind of hoped we'd just see stability in a 1440/30 scenario. This seems like the opposite - hopefully, it'll get figured out by launch.

Head.spawn

Wait, did you only just get around to reading the actual article in the OP?

Or are you now pretending like this is your first post ITT

There is no article in the first post though?

But it would still be lower. How many upcoming games that aren't native 4k are higher resolution on Pro or even equal?

720p to 1440p with Reconstruction is pretty wild!

But still, I'm feeling like if they can't get a locked 30fps - these resolutions boosts are all for naught. The original felt stable as hell, and yes I wish it was 1080/60. But the PC port was such a mess, so I wasn't expecting it in the slightest. I'm feeling conflicted - I loved the game, and I'm excited to try it out on Scorpio. One man-made patch or not, I kind of hoped we'd just see stability in a 1440/30 scenario. This seems like the opposite - hopefully, it'll get figured out by launch.

There was the another mode though they didn't really go into any depth on it (1080p).

Also, when everyone is saying "it's just 720p" or "just 1440p" it kind of leaves out the fact that was just the baseline resolution before construction. The game certainly didn't have the image quality you would expect of a 720p game.

Paragon

It could be the YouTube compression, but it looks like there's a lot more color banding with the film grain disabled.
Based on the performance shown here, the "4K" mode looks like it would probably be fine with a FreeSync display since it's only dropping a frame of two.

I can't wait for VRR systems and displays to become mainstream; even Digital Foundry are still targeting a minimum of 60 FPS with their PC-focused features, rather than unlocked framerates which average >60 FPS.
Ideally you would never drop below 60, but sometimes you have to make significant sacrifices just to gain back that last frame or two to keep a game locked to 60.
I was surprised at how much higher the average framerate was in a lot of games when I no longer had to try and lock them to 60.

2560x1400p!!
You need a insane pc to get it to that res o_O
All this with only one guy doing it in his spare time too :)
Seems 1080p is smooth which on pc you needed a beefy pc to do
Remember that PC gamers target 60 FPS+, not 30 FPS.
It's also considered to be a bad port, which has been abandoned at this point.
No DX11 mode for the UWP version, no DX12 mode for the Steam version, no way to download the cutscenes to play the game offline like the Xbox version. It's very disappointing from Remedy.

Surprised there's no 60fps 1080p mode l can do it with a few tweaks on a 1060gtx.
CPU performance is the main thing preventing games from offering low-res 60 FPS modes.
While they may have the GPU power for it, they don't have the CPU power.

If you think of it in simple terms, you need double the GPU power and double the CPU power to run a 30 FPS game at 60 FPS.
Lowering the resolution may free up that GPU power, but does very little to free up any CPU resources.
And the PS4 Pro/XB1X do not have anything like double the CPU power of the standard PS4/XB1.

Journey

Banned
Already played through Tomb Raider twice. Shadow of War doesn't look interesting but I'll keep my eye on it. AC Origins is not Native 4K.

I love Forza, so when and if I get an X1X, that's going to look glorious in 4K/60fps and HDR, but of course, Middle Earth: Shadow of War is one to keep an eye out for, I'm pretty impressed that they're pulling it off at native 4K. Saying X1X is "Supposedly" a 4K console is disingenuous when there's clear evidence of other impressive games running in native 4K. We always expected 1080p games to make the jump to 4K, 900p games hopeful to hit with at least checkerboarding, but never a game that started at 720p on Xbox One, that preposterous!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
1440p is dissapointing from this newer console wtf
I really think context is super important with Quantum Break. It's an unreasonably demanding game.

For comparison, if you run the PC version (Steam DX11) at 1440p without reconstruction (and the base resolution on XOX *IS* 1440p) it's not really possible to hit a stable 60fps with a Titan Xp. 30fps is absolutely possible on such a card even at 4K but it's also dramatically more powerful than Xbox One X.

In comparison, the system is running Gears of War 4 at native 4K at a locked 30fps and we don't see many high-res UE4 games on consoles like that. We've sampled a bunch of native 4K games already but I don't think we can expect games that were at 720p on the original Xbox One to hit native 4K either as the jump exceeds the boost in power.

Quantum Break suffered, I think, as a result of the very expensive lighting they attempted, among other things. Regardless of how it looks, it's generated in an expensive way.

thelastword

Banned
As an aside, what the fuck is it with this "4 ex resolution boost..." nonsense in DF videos?

Surely it should be said as "4 times resolution boost..."

Im not usually one for pedantry, but it's driving me batty.

It can't be just me.
Well it's 4X the pixel count, 4K, 4X seems to be great marketing monikers for XBOX ONE X...so many x's it's not funny....The way the video was presented and sounded though...?

In any case, I think I just saw a poster mentioned that he's going to abandon his PC playthrough to play on the XBONEX, because he values a higher resolution at a stable 30fps...It's pretty much public knowledge, but I'll say it nonetheless, the W10 version of this game run awful on NV hardware....The steam version (DX11) runs better on NV hardware naturally...Whilst the GTX 970 would fall into single digits at 1080p under (W10, DX12), the steam version can hold a locked 30fps with that same card....A 1060 can run this at around 90fps on medium and you can tinker with some high settings to make it look better and target 60fps.

If you're going to abandon your PC version, where the game runs fine in DX11, and you're not even guaranteed a locked 30fps on XBONEX, going by this footage, then I think you're doing it wrong...Please keep in mind, this game is not just dropping frames whilst keeping vsync, it's tearing pretty badly whilst dropping below 30fps......I think resolution is this game's achilles heel tbh, especially with the effects it has.....1440p might be a bit much...

Space_nut

I really think context is super important with Quantum Break. It's an unreasonably demanding game.

For comparison, if you run the PC version (Steam DX11) at 1440p without reconstruction (and the base resolution on XOX *IS* 1440p) it's not really possible to hit a stable 60fps with a Titan Xp. 30fps is absolutely possible on such a card even at 4K but it's also dramatically more powerful than Xbox One X.

In comparison, the system is running Gears of War 4 at native 4K at a locked 30fps and we don't see many high-res UE4 games on consoles like that. We've sampled a bunch of native 4K games already but I don't think we can expect games that were at 720p on the original Xbox One to hit native 4K either as the jump exceeds the boost in power.

Quantum Break suffered, I think, as a result of the very expensive lighting they attempted, among other things. Regardless of how it looks, it's generated in an expensive way.

Can't wait to see your content on upcoming games :)

Do you think the OG Xbox ports being done on Xbox One will have upgrades for Xbox One X?

Crimson Skies in 4k o_O

onanie

Saying X1X is "Supposedly" a 4K console is disingenuous when there's clear evidence of other impressive games running in native 4K.

The disingenuity started with Spencer claiming that the xox is a "true 4k console", when there's clear evidence of sub 4k games.

btags

But it would still be lower. How many upcoming games that aren't native 4k are higher resolution on Pro or even equal?

There was the another mode though they didn't really go into any depth on it (1080p).

Also, when everyone is saying "it's just 720p" or "just 1440p" it kind of leaves out the fact that was just the baseline resolution before construction. The game certainly didn't have the image quality you would expect of a 720p game.

That is for certain. The game looks incredible for how low res it is. I love those environments in the labs on the island. They look so realistic it is scary at times.

Journey

Banned
The disingenuity started with Spencer claiming that the xox is a "true 4k console", when there's clear evidence of sub 4k games.

So the PC is not a True 4K platform if some games can't hit 4K? Is PS4 not a True 1080p console if some games render at 900p? smdh!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
As an aside, what the fuck is it with this "4 ex resolution boost..." nonsense in DF videos?

It can't be just me.
Wait, what's wrong with it?

I don't understand the issue. 4x, 4 times...same thing.

Journey

Banned

So in your mind, there is no true 1080p, 720p, 4K, or any standard for that matter if it so happens that the platform supports other resolutions, is that what you're saying?

Toretto: I need a 10 second car.
Spilner: There is no true 10 second car... I mean what if the roads are wet?
Toretto: Face_Palm.

Your poorly thought-out equivalence is whats really astounding. Not the only blunder youve made in this thread.
Please elaborate! I'd love to hear more about my blunders.
]
That's true

No one genuine ever said that the PC is a True 4K platform.

So no one genuine at Sony for saying the PS4 is a 1080p console?
There's true 4K on PS4 Pro, so why bother making the distinction at all if you're not going to hit true 4K most of the time?

Listen, XB1X looks to be the better high-end option for sure if you still get a base PS4 for exclusives. But it's not unreasonable to shove Microsoft into their own pile of bullshit on this true 4k thing from time to time.

Forza 6 is 1080p/60fps.
Forza 7 demo is 720p/60fps....ish.

The only reason for the downgrade in clarity is to benefit the x1x version.

lol, bro doubled down on his genius post.

love you GAF.

on topic - k guys, QB1 is like, the fucking hardest game to run smoothly in the history of this generation.

i couldn't get it to run on my beast PC, and the original X1 version ran at 720p.

the fact that they could get to 1440p base resolution is incredible for the 1X [my PC can't even run the game at 1440p for fuck's sake].

It can't be just me.

this bothers you?

[i also say "times" in my head, but John can say whatever the F he wants]

Wait, what's wrong with it?

I don't understand the issue. 4x, 4 times...same thing.

you don't understand the issue, because there is no issue.

[as ever, great video John, TY].

FZW

In the defense of the issue you have to remember this was done by someone in his own free time out of love. But with that said it's strange that this game & Rise of the Tomb Raider both have been shown with missing effects on Xbox One X, maybe they both will have the effects when the games are released.

or maybe they're not done

Spencer even said that the PS4 Pro is a competitor to the One S instead of the One X because One X is a "true 4K console."

Talk about misleading PR!

watership

It's capable of 4k games. There are already a bunch of native 4k games. Not all games are going to be 4K. So by your reasoning, a true 4k console is only a console that does 4k all the time? That means the Xbox 360 isn't a even a 720p console?

You can make a game bring any machine to it's knees.

It's capable of 4k games. There are already a bunch of native 4k games. Not all games are going to be 4K. So by your reasoning, a true 4k console is only a console that does 4k all the time? That means the Xbox 360 isn't a even a 720p console?

You can make a game bring any machine to it's knees.

The Pro is capable of 4K games and there are 4K games on it. And Spencer still said that it competes with the One S because the One X is a "True 4K console".

So how's the Pro is NOT a "True 4K console" while the One X is?

So is the PS4 not a 1080p Console cause it has games that are 900p?

Yeah it's not a true 1080p console.

onanie

So in your mind, there is no true 1080p, 720p, 4K, or any standard for that matter if it so happens that the platform supports other resolutions, is that what you're saying?

Toretto: I need a 10 second car.
Spilner: There is no true 10 second car... I mean what if the roads are wet?
Toretto: Face_Palm.

A 10 second car, if verified, is consistently reproducible. Not so for the xox, it seems.

Journey

Banned
Spencer even said that the PS4 Pro is a competitor to the One S instead of the One X because One X is a "true 4K console."

Talk about misleading PR!

Can you show me these quotes? Also, was Sony misleading by saying the PS4 is 1080p console when clearly sub 1080p games exist? I'm just trying to understand the logic that you're agreeing to.

It was Aaron Greenberg again: https://youtu.be/oMMg0wKkCMo?t=39m43s

Said Quantum Break would get a "free 4K upgrade" for the Xbox X and so stories get written the resolution is 4K.

Quantum Break outputs a 1080p picture. Yes, internal resolution pre processing is 720p, but some of the things are done at 1080p (obviously the UI, not sure if any of the other effects applied work at 1080p).

Remedy claimed Quantum Break was 1080p. I see the argument, even if I think it's misleading, but the game isn't just doing a basic upscale on a 720p image. So if Quantum Break is 1080p, this is 4K. Even on PC, at release, if you picked 1080p, you'd get the 720p internal resolution, as mentioned on this video.

So, yes, calling this a 4K patch is misleading, but it's also completely consistent with the other releases of the game, so I don't think it's specifically exaggerating what the Xbox One X is capable of.

Also, if you thought this game would be native 4K on Xbox One X then you should probably look into the PC hardware required to hit that mark.

And no, it isn't just a bad PC port... the game uses a number of very computationally expensive effects on every platform. We can debate if those effects are worth the computational cost, but we can't debate the computational cost.

I've played many better looking games, but Quantum Break wouldn't be Quantum Break without them. They're key to the game.

Can you show me these quotes? Also, was Sony misleading by saying the PS4 is 1080p console when clearly sub 1080p games exist? I'm just trying to understand the logic that you're agreeing to.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-12-the-big-interview-xbox-boss-phil-spencer

Phil Spencer: I look at Pro as more of a competitor to S than I do to Xbox One X. This is a true 4K console. If you just look at the specs of what this box is, it's in a different league than any other console that's out there. When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that.

If Sony marketed the PS4 as a "true 1080p console", that's bullshit too.

Journey

Banned
A 10 second car, if verified, is consistently reproducible. Not so for the xox, it seems.

So Rise of the Tomb Raider running at 4K is not verification? please explain. The car can be verified even if in certain conditions it can't hit 10, but for xox you move the goal post?

Top Bottom