• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Sonic Mania PS4/XO/Switch Full Analysis

Guess Who

Banned
That's kind of thing - while playing, it genuinely does appear "pixel perfect" but it's obvious that there is something going on with the way its displayed when you look closely. I can't tell if it's the result of the scale or something with the way the artwork was created. I kinda feel like the checkerboard thing is intentional shading. Many other elements of the image look completely sharp.

It's not shading. It's the result of - as I mentioned - the image being slightly stretched horizontally. I'll illustrate with that "raw video" shot you posted on a previous page.

Say the game runs at 1920x1080. The "240p" equivalent would be 427x240. Actually, that's not quite true - it's 426.6667 (2/3, in other words), but you can't have 2/3 of a pixel. This is your shot shrunken nearest neighbor to 427x240.

enumkl.png

Looks pretty pixely! But it's not perfect. You can see slight interpolation in Sonic's eyes and the checkerboard pattern, because 427x240 is not the native resolution of the game. The native resolution is 424x240, as shown here:

mbuikj.png

Perfect pixels, no interpolation. But it's ever so slightly less wide than 16:9, so you can't scale it to 16:9 resolutions like 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 without some slight artifacts.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Pulling out my hair here.

Tested multiple times on my launch Xbox One. With Kinect plugged in, it stutters. With Kinect unplugged it's perfect.

...but there's no way everyone with issues has Kinect plugged in, right?

edit - OK, Dave at the office doesn't have Kinect plugged in yet it stutters.

This is a tricky bug. I feel for the Sonic Mania team!

I played two levels with Kinect plugged on my Xbox One Elite (with the fluent design update), and I did not get a single drop nor stutter.

Here's a 1080p shot taken from Switch in docked mode (you have to maximize the shot - on Chrome, if the window is too small, it resizes and filters the image resulting in blurry pixels - if you look at the shot using its full resolution it's very sharp).

ec2c.png

Also, I noticed that on Xbox One the resolution is different from your Switch screenshot, game pixels are not blurred, but some real pixels are :

gNAjxpY.png

Piccoro

Sorry to dig up this thread, but I would like to ask a technical question.

I'm playing Sonic Mania on a PS4 Pro, on a 4K TV.

In Options there are 4 screen modes: None, Clean and 2 CRT filters. Which one should I choose for the so called "4K pixel perfect mode"? Or are all 4 modes already in 4K without upscaling?

Thanks.

Sorry to dig up this thread, but I would like to ask a technical question.

I'm playing Sonic Mania on a PS4 Pro, on a 4K TV.

In Options there are 4 screen modes: None, Clean and 2 CRT filters. Which one should I choose for the so called "4K pixel perfect mode"? Or are all 4 modes already in 4K without upscaling?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure they're all native 4K. Choose the screen mode that you prefer.

For the best IQ no filter then ? or is the default one ok ? On a 4k set

On my 55" OLED via PS4 Pro, the pixels are obviously the size of lego bricks. So I have to use the CRT filter because otherwise - as with so many low-resolution pixel art games on a large TV - it's unbearable. But it looks fine on the Switch screen, because it's tiny in comparison, so I don't use the CRT filter for that. Let's remember that when we were playing 240p/480i (or 288p/576i here in PAL land) games in the 80s and 90s, we were typically playing them on a tiny 14" CRT TV (complete with interlacing flicker and scanlines) in our bedrooms.

Also, I noticed that on Xbox One the resolution is different from your Switch screenshot, game pixels are not blurred, but some real pixels are :

gNAjxpY.png
What on earth is going on with the clouds in that pic?

Here's a 1080p shot taken from Switch in docked mode (you have to maximize the shot - on Chrome, if the window is too small, it resizes and filters the image resulting in blurry pixels - if you look at the shot using its full resolution it's very sharp).

ec2c.png

Mania in a dock looks nothing like that to me, it looks sharp and crisp.

I saved the image and viewed it in windows full screen, the image itself looks like it has some weird scaling going on i've never seen happen before. Just looking at the water tells me something is scaling badly there.

So the game does not have pixel perfect integer scaling? On PC I play in a 3x window, but the window is small on 1080p display so it's not a great compromise. A lot of these pixel games never take in to account HD displays and resolutions, it is bizarre.

So the game does not have pixel perfect integer scaling? On PC I play in a 3x window, but the window is small on 1080p display so it's not a great compromise. A lot of these pixel games never take in to account HD displays and resolutions, it is bizarre.

I think the scaling is only perfect integer on 720p and 4K. (Due to the 240p nature of the art?) Both 720p and 4K divide evenly over 240p, but 1080p doesn't.

Top Bottom