• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U/360/PS3 Face-Off

Fredrik

Well, who wants more content, new modes, or all-new features, when the games drop 3 frames in the 1 minute and 04 seconds mark during the third and sixth battles? THE HORROR!
Lol sounds unbearable. You know, if DF did a faceoff between a NES game and Uncharted 3 I'm sure the NES game would win simply because of the framerate. :/

Ridley327

I've been perfectly happy with the Wii U version, but it's a shame they had to cut a few things. However, I like that it's just sitting on my HD without the need to insert a disc. Is there a digital copy available for the PS3/360?
It was recently put up on PSN.

Arklite

Honestly they could've aimed for 1080p locked at 30 fps and it wouldn't have mattered. The Wii U version isn't seeing tournament play for this game regardless, not with the pro scene already having dual modded sticks or individual pads for 360 and PS3. This result was fine.

Skilletor

Well, who wants more content, new modes, or all-new features, when the games drop 3 frames in the 1 minute and 04 seconds mark during the third and sixth battles? THE HORROR!

I own the game, and I have never notice any frame drops. But apparently it looks like I'm not reliable to tell, since I never notices those in Bayo fro PS3, or in NG3:RE.

Definitely not.

And, just like you apparently don't care about framerate, others couldn't give two shits about new features or modes. All I want in my fighting game is vs mode, online, and training mode. Everything else is irrelevant to me.

I really don't understand why people who don't care about the differences between multiple versions of games are posting in this thread.

omonimo

Banned
It's a pretty damn good launch port overall, but it's a shame it's not entirely locked to 60fps during gameplay. Ultimately it doesn't really matter to me, though, I'm not nearly good enough to be worried about it and one of the big reasons I bought the game was for more silly, casual reasons like Tekken Ball, Nintendo Costumes and the Mushroom battle.

Really? Remember to me the last launch Tekken title which not run at steady 60 fps on console because I'm confuse. The hardware of WiiU is just weird, even a beat em up now appears expensive O_O

ToD_

Honestly they could've aimed for 1080p locked at 30 fps and it wouldn't have mattered. The Wii U version isn't seeing tournament play for this game regardless, not with the pro scene already having dual modded sticks or individual pads for 360 and PS3. This result was fine.

Frame rate and missing graphical effects only matter to tournament players?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Definetly I'm baffled about the blur being worse.

Wii U GPU is more powerful...what happened?

cpu happened.

The Wii U tends to die on alpha blending, presumably because they have to sort lots of polygons on the CPU.

Anything that can cause a large amount of alpha blending would thus become problematic.

It's been a while since I've done graphics programming, but given that fire and smoke effects do this, I imagine the blur might need alpha blending resolutions as well to look good.

Reiko

Banned
Shouldn't the eDRAM in the Wii U helped with the foliage? I thought the Wii U had more eDRAM than the Xbox 360?

I own the game, and I have never notice any frame drops. But apparently it looks like I'm not reliable to tell, since I never notices those in Bayo fro PS3, or in NG3:RE.

You should play bayonetta again to refresh yourself on the shitty framerate fluctuations the game had, in a particular level it almost drops to an halt.

The Wii U tends to die on alpha blending, presumably because they have to sort lots of polygons on the CPU.

Anything that can cause a large amount of alpha blending would thus become problematic.

Isn't alpha blending a GPU process? or could be that the actual implementation on current consoles relies on the CPU? Sorry, I'm not a very tech guy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Isn't alpha blending a GPU process? or could be that the actual implementation on current consoles relies on the CPU? Sorry, I'm not a very tech guy.

It is, but when it's order dependent, you have to sort the polygons from back to front to determine what order to blend them in (and which need to actually be blended), which is usually done on the CPU.

Now, order independent transparency would mean this wasn't a problem, but I've yet to see anyone implement this or even a GPU based polygon sort on the Wii U, so I'm not sure how feasible it is.

Transparency has actually been a large problem for games for quite some time, which is why you never see see-through glass houses in video games for example.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Weird how snow was capable on Xbox and PS2

Virtua Fighter 4/Evo - PS2
Dead or Alive 3/Ultimate - Xbox
This is not some 'snow processing' hw feature - whether the machine can do this or that effect in a given context depends entirely on the context.

Arklite

Frame rate and missing graphical effects only matter to tournament players?

OP says the Wii U version maintains 720p resolution longer. If they had just matched the resolution decrease evident in the 360/PS3 versions when there are 4 characters on screen then it's likely they could've maintained 60fps locked.

They knowingly went for image quality over performance, and that seemed like an even trade to them knowing this wouldn't be a tournament system. So I'm not saying it doesn't matter, I'm saying they gave them a clearer picture over perfect fps and that works fine here.

HardRojo

Agreed. But for a game to have missing visual features/fidelity compared to 6/7 year hardware is tough to swallow.

I too agree and think that some people seem to miss that this is the point of Digital Foundry threads, to discuss the differences between versions however small they may be.

It is, but when it's order dependent, you have to sort the polygons from back to front to determine what order to blend them in (and which need to actually be blended), which is usually done on the CPU.

Now, order independent transparency would mean this wasn't a problem, but I've yet to see anyone implement this or even a GPU based polygon sort on the Wii U, so I'm not sure how feasible it is.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

rjc571

Banned
yes. we do. if we own all the systems a game is on, presuming the game costs the same amount of money on each system, why wouldn't I want to know how they differ, however small that difference is?

hypothetically if one version has tiny framedrops occasionally and the other doesn't and is identical in every other way, wouldn't it be stupid of me to spend my $60 on the version with framedrops when that same $60 could buy me a version without?

I would think stuff like controller preference, which version you can play with more of your friends, etc. would make more of a difference for a rational consumer than whether one version drops 2 or 3 frames once every blue moon.

Transparency has actually been a large problem for games for quite some time, which is why you never see see-through glass houses in video games for example.

it should be possible. didn't we see an order dependent transparency demo on the 5870 series? the mecha demo AMD put out did this. I'm not sure that such things are possible on the Wii U's GPU, but they should be based on what I've read. Of course, that doesn't mean that it'd yield superior results, or be easy to implement though.

I would think stuff like controller preference, which version you can play with more of your friends, etc. would make more of a difference for a rational consumer than whether one version drops 2 or 3 frames once every blue moon.
we're all different. I don't play fighting games online, for example. I love the inference that I'm irrational because I may care more about how a game performs than how many people play it online.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
It's not minutiae for hardcore fighting game players, but let's be real they won't be playing on Wii U anyways. It seems like it will be fine for everyone else.

In which sucks because the classic controller and pro controller is much better than any other controller out there for fighting games. (IMO). The dpad and shoulder buttons are more precise and responsive. (This is Tekken, there are more pad players than stick players).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
it should be possible. didn't we see an order dependent transparency demo on the 5870 series? the mecha demo AMD put out did this. I'm not sure that such things are possible on the Wii U's GPU, but they should be based on what I've read. Of course, that doesn't mean that it'd yield superior results, or be easy to implement though.

we're all different. I don't play fighting games online, for example. I love the inference that I'm irrational because I may care more about how a game performs than how many people play it online.
Assuming you meant order independent, AMD did in fact have a DX11 implementation demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANEUhyT2y8

And here is the presentation on their implementation: https://graphics.stanford.edu/wikis...AttachFile&do=get&target=CS448s-10-11-oit.pdf

Skilletor

Why do you care how different consumers choose which version to buy?

What if I have sticks for every console I own and friends to play on each? Then what? What if I only play locally?

Why are you so judgmental over how others choose to spend their money?

blu

Snow is a transparency.

That's even worse. Snow deformation was a last gen effect.

EDIT: Corrected
I was the referring to the ground snow as shown on the screenshots. Whether is 'last gen' effect or not is irrelevant - it's an effect that can or cannot be done in a given context. Tekken devs decided they could not afford it in the WiiU port, ergo it's missing.

Kokonoe

Banned
Agreed. But for a game to have missing visual features/fidelity compared to 6/7 year hardware is tough to swallow.

Thank you. I think it's normal to want to expect newer hardware to excel over consoles from a previous generation's hardware from 2006 when they're running the same game.

JordanN

Banned
Seems like Wii U can't do snow. That's pretty alarming how a new home console is performing worse than the older consoles. Next gen consoles are gonna be bad for third party Wii U titles.
Assuming you're actually serious (hell, why wouldn't you be?):
JF0iz.png

But yeah, keep judging the Wii U's hardware off unoptimized launch ports.

omonimo

Banned

Unoptimized based on what? Use this effect in a different scenario not means it could be handled everytime.

blu

The AMD demo seems to be ordering the transparencies properly. I'm not really sure why that'd be called order independent, but clearly it is. So, yeah, my mistake.
It's called 'order independent' because the translucency depth sorting is done by the GPU, and does not depend on the order in which the drawcalls get issued.

Seems like Wii U can't do snow. That's pretty alarming how a new home console is performing worse than the older consoles. Next gen consoles are gonna be bad for third party Wii U titles.

It was also missing geese, in one of the above comparison shots.

So...it's like the 3DS SSFIV (which I own), where things are sacrificed from the background to maintain reasonable performance?

I expected better than WiiU to underperform against current 6/7 yr old hardware. The additional Nintendo themed things do seem nice, though - making it the dominant version based on content.

Thank you. I think it's normal to want to expect newer hardware to excel over consoles from a previous generation's hardware from 2006 when they're running the same game.

XBox360 launched in 2005

Dizzy

Banned
Do people really care about this minutia?

To back you up, I certainly don't. My 360 is an old model, no warranty...no way am I buying games for that thing if I can help it. Plus I don't want to pay for Live. So to me unless the game is Orange Box or Skyrim scale differences I'll just get the games on PS3. I mean for me personally I can't even tell the difference just looking at the games myself. I'm sure if I played one game, turned it off and put the other version in I wouldn't have a clue about any differences - again unless it was REALLY bad on one system.

I don't need to check digital foundry for that, most reviews sites or GAF will tell you if there is a major difference.

JF0iz.png

It's certainly more reasonable than judging it off tech demos... And who knows on what hardware revision that ran.
WiiU has problems with transparencies, just like the PS3.

Top Bottom