• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U/360/PS3 Face-Off

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's certainly more reasonable than judging it off tech demos... And who knows on what hardware revision that ran.
It's not more 'reasonable' - it's what it is - namely that in the context of this particular game, the dev team could not pull this particular effect for this particular port. Nothing else.

WiiU has problems with transparencies, just like the PS3.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The console has been out for too short a time for us to draw these conclusions (and the ps3 did not have issues with transparencies but with triangle setup rate).

It's not more 'reasonable' - it's what it is - namely that in the context of this particular game, the dev team could not pull this particular effect for this particular port. Nothing else.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The console has been for too short a time out for us to draw these conclusions (and the ps3 did not have issues with transparencies, but with triangle setup rate).

Trine 2 and Nano Assault Neo seem to have no issues with transparencies... I believe in Trine 2's case, even in areas where the PS3 was struggling with them.

Argyle

I'm drawing a blank here but I swear the graphics programmer for Tekken Tag 2 gave a presentation (in Japanese) on how the renderer in that game works.

I want to say it was on Watch Impress like many of those articles but I can't find any trace of it...anyone know what I am talking about?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Assuming you're actually serious (hell, why wouldn't you be?):
JF0iz.png

But yeah, keep judging the Wii U's hardware off unoptimized launch ports.
Wait, you think it's more reasonable to judge WiiU based off an early non-interactive tech demo running on unfinished hardware?

majik13

so considering 24 fps looks good for film because the inherent motion blur helps smooth it out. And 1 reason 60fps benefit games is because they usually lack motion blur.
So in that case, how does this game look with 60fps and motion blur? The motion blur looks very evident when I watched videos, but I am guessing the videos were only 30fps. Seems 60fps might make it look unusually hyper smooth or something, maybe a little odd looking. Or is it all for the better and you soon forget about it.

Anyways, i would think that motion blur would slightly help mask any minor framerate drops as well.

A.E Suggs

I was trying to compare the 2 before, I knew there were things off about the wiiU version. Online is dead on wiiU anyway but I still have the game for it if anyone ever wants to play.

Reiko

Banned
so considering 24 fps looks good for film because the inherent motion blur helps smooth it out. And 1 reason 60fps benefit games is because they usually lack motion blur.
So in that case, how does this game look with 60fps and motion blur? The motion blur looks very evident when I watched videos, but I am guessing the videos were only 30fps. Seems 60fps might make it look unusually hyper smooth or something, maybe a little odd looking. Or is it all for the better and you soon forget about it.

Anyways, i would think that motion blur would slightly help mask any minor framerate drops as well.

60fps & motion blur is eyegasmic.

Of course it is. Tech demos mean almost nothing as they don't replicate a "real life" scenario.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The console has been out for too short a time for us to draw these conclusions (and the ps3 did not have issues with transparencies but with triangle setup rate).

Weren't there quite a few titles already where the Wii U had problems in this area compared to X360 and even PS3?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So in that case, how does this game look with 60fps and motion blur? The motion blur looks very evident when I watched videos, but I am guessing the videos were only 30fps. Seems 60fps might make it look unusually hyper smooth or something, maybe a little odd looking.
It's fucking incredible and Tekken Tag has one of the best implementations of it I've seen. Also, as a fighting game, the blur is highly evident at all times.

ToD_

So in that case, how does this game look with 60fps and motion blur?

It's fucking incredible and Tekken Tag has one of the best implementations of it I've seen. Also, as a fighting game, the blur is highly evident at all times.

It really is great. And despite TTT2 on the Wii U using a lower precision motion blur effect, it still looks fantastic.

blu

Of course it is. Tech demos mean almost nothing as they don't replicate a "real life" scenario.
Tech demos are as 'real life' as any other code that runs on the platform. They might have more spare CPU cycles (not necessarily but a possibility) but how much a CPU is relevant to this or that GPU effect is a case-by-case study.

Weren't there quite a few titles already where the Wii U had problems in this area compared to X360 and even PS3?
Which area?

majik13

great, yeah the videos made it highly evident, just wondering if it was too evident and maybe distracting when played in person. As opposed to a more subtle realistic approuch. But I guess that is not always the point of videogames...

blu

great, yeah the videos made it highly evident, just wondering if it was too evident and maybe distracting when played in person. As opposed to a more subtle realistic approuch. But I guess that is not always the point of videogames...
First thing I do in tekken games is switch off the motion blur ; )

ToD_

First thing I do in tekken games is switch off the motion blur ; )

It definitely comes down to personal preference. I find it evident enough for it to be enjoyable, yet subtle enough for it not to be distracting.

omonimo

Banned
Tech demos are as 'real life' as any other code that runs on the platform. They might have more spare CPU cycles (not necessarily but a possibility) but how much a CPU is relevant to this or that GPU effect is a case-by-case study.

Which area?

Has you said, spare CPU cycles with GPU. Blops 2 too has cut back different effects for this. Or Darksiders 2. Even in the future, this problem could still remain, I can't imagine when next generation coming out what a disaster could be in the wii U development department for the third parties games.

braves01

Banned
I was trying to compare the 2 before, I knew there were things off about the wiiU version. Online is dead on wiiU anyway but I still have the game for it if anyone ever wants to play.

How dead? I just got it as part of the Target B2G1 but its wrapped up until Christmas.

Top Bottom