• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Trine 2 (PS3/360/PC/Wii U) [Up: Mid-Dec patch for gamma bug]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This one is actually more positive to the Wii U than any of the prior DF's we've seen I believe.

Most of the article is at the link.

Digital Foundry said:
Trine 2 - the Digital Foundry verdict

It's not often that we see a title come along that blends interesting and innovative gameplay with accomplished technology, but Trine 2 is as visually alluring as it is captivating to play. Frozenbyte has achieved a minor miracle here, with only the PS3 version falling a little short owing to a cheap FXAA implementation that blurs the beautiful imagery, impacting significantly upon the look of the lovingly realised artwork.

There are no such problems on the Wii U and 360, which both come with a sharper image that makes the most of the intricate artwork - and isn't overly blurred. Although the use of FXAA does still result in some smoothing over of fine detail, the soft focus look actually suits the game when the blur isn't dialled up to extreme levels. Naturally, these concerns are irrelevant on the PC where the use of super-sampling (in combination with FXAA) smoothes over any unwanted jaggies without tampering with the quality of the artwork. In 1080p with 4x SSAA with maximum settings engaged the game is simply gorgeous to look at, with the art design and technical choices working to create a magical visual experience - and there's NVIDIA 3D Vision support too, which looks beautiful.

The Wii U version also deserves credit, of course. The game not only features many of the graphical upgrades found on the PC, but does so while delivering better image quality than the 360 and PS3 without compromising on the solid frame-rate. The more washed-out image is a concern compared to the darker look of the other versions, but only for those with HDTVs that don't come with an option to select full or limited range RGB levels over HDMI (usually called HDMI black level), in which changing this setting to low (and lowering the brightness in the game's menu) solves the problem. However, the bottom line is that we shouldn't have to work so hard to get the best look from the game and we're a little surprised that Trine 2 shipped like this - we noted several complaints about the lighting on NeoGAF, but our contention is that the lighting model is absolutely fine, it's the gamma level that seems significantly skewed. It's a small blemish in what is a lovely-looking game, and hopefully it'll be patched up soon.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-trine-2-face-off

Select Screenshots:

Consoles said:
WiiU_019.png

360_019.png

PS3_019.png

PC said:

Caption Comments:

trineperfgro1b.png

trinecomparejqq4x.png

kinggroin

Banned
Looky looky, a positive DF related to Wii U?

Isn't this game Unreal Engine based?

Edit: Methinks this will be the shortest DF thread ever

Salvadora

This is one of the games I want to pick up when I buy a WiiU so it's good to hear it doesn't suffer like the other launch titles.

Gambit

...and I just bought the Wii U version and played it for the first time.

Glad it was not a sub-par port like many others.

PS: loving the game so far!

Tagg9

Nice to see that certain games can look better on Wii U (depending on the engine, amount of effort that went into the port, etc.).

The Boat

I noticed the brightness problem on the Wii U too and I don't think my monitor (ASUS VW246h) has that RGB option. I put the brightness down and it mostly solves the problem I think. Still, a patch would be nice.

Loving the game and the gamepad is sooo useful.

Orayn

Glad to hear it's a good port! Frozenbyte is exactly the kind of developer I hope the Wii U attracts more of thanks to the vastly improved eShop.

Nice to see that certain games can look better on Wii U (depending on the engine, amount of effort that went into the port, etc.).

As one would expect from a system with more RAM and a faster GPU!

Wii u gets its first clear win over 360 and PS3, and its a game that the gamepad really works well with to boot. I feel even better about buying the Wii U version over the PC one now seeing that it's only really behind in framerate, resolution and AA options.

Played this with two friends for a few hours on Sunday and had a total blast.

I hope going forwards we see more of this and less of the ME3 blops2 situation, at least until next holiday when more consoles launch.

Hopefully Wii U owners wanting to show off their system to their friends will pick this game up now. It deserves it!

Phazon

Update will be out in a few weeks, so let's see what it does after that :)

And for me this counts as a fail for third party publishers. They got owned by a small indie studio.

Well done, Frozenbyte :)

bakedpony

I'm still salty that they haven't patched the game-breaking bug on the PS3 version if you play on an Asian console.

wsippel

Banned
Nice to see. And didn't JoelFB write that the December Wii U patch might include a few more enhancements to the graphics?

Looky looky, a positive DF related to Wii U?

Isn't this game Unreal Engine based?

Edit: Methinks this will be the shortest DF thread ever
Custom engine, and one of the few console games using deferred shading, which is something the Wii U should excel at.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
So glad I bought this game on Wii U now.
Well done, Frozenbyte!

Sendou

Frozenbyte seemed really positive about Wii U on an interview about the Director's Edition few months ago. One thing that caught my eye was them saying that "Wii U has lots of memory; more than we can use"

Phazon

Nice to see. And didn't JoelFB write that the December Wii U patch might include a few more enhancements to the graphics?

Custom engine, and one of the few console games using deferred shading, which is something the Wii U should excel at.

This is what he mailed me:

'Frozenbyte is also working on an update that will be released in
December. The update features support for the Wii U™ Pro Controller,
Voice Chat in multiplayer, new languages, and a little bit of extra
visual vividness to the game's graphics.'

Sendou

This is what he mailed me:

'Frozenbyte is also working on an update that will be released in
December. The update features support for the Wii U™ Pro Controller,
Voice Chat in multiplayer, new languages, and a little bit of extra
visual vividness to the game's graphics.'

I think they'll also include some kind of Wii U exclusive "party mode".

That is if it isn't in the game already.

Does the game support off tv play and online co op?

Off-tv play, yes. Online co-op, i'm pretty sure it does.

According to the above interview posted:
For Trine 2, it makes very little sense to use GPU acceleration for physics, because with every PC configuration our graphics are heavily GPU limited. CPU is mostly idle, so in our case it's ideal to run physics on the CPU.

The game is not taxing the WiiU CPU as much as most games. Hence, its better GPU can shine.

nikatapi

It seems like a great version of the game, with the added stages and off-tv play.
I hope WiiU owners will reward this effort, i will for sure get it once i get a WiiU, i enjoyed the first game very much.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm still salty that they haven't patched the game-breaking bug on the PS3 version if you play on an Asian console.

Oh, this interests me. My fat PS3 died and I bought an Asian Slim to replace it.

What is the game-breaking bug you mentioned?

wsippel

Banned
Also interesting: The Wii U version not only has the best assets and overall best graphics of all three consoles, but improved physics as well. That's probably the most unexpected revelation after all the bruhaha over the lack of CPU horsepower.

Sendou

If someone can answer me about online co-op being included, I'm buying this Friday.

Online co-op is in. It just doesn't support voice chat until the patch comes.

They have mentioned before that they would love to fix the bug and it wouldn't take more than few minutes of work for them BUT the patch would cost them too much. That's where they said a few praises about how patching on Wii U is free (or very cheap when compared to PSN and XBLA)

Jackano

I don't even understand the comparisons pics. I DO see the differences, but is the Wii U version better or worst? I don't understand if (without reading) there is more effects on Wii U or less. And finally, I see this is different but I like both versions, can't say if one or another is better, it's just... very slighty different!

B.O.O.M

This is very good news. One of the most beautiful looking games out there too. Gameplay wise not my cup of tea as I got bored with it soon after...but visually one of the best I have seen. Love the atmosphere. So it's good to hear the wiiu version is up to par if not better

kinggroin

Banned
Online co-op is in. It just doesn't support voice chat until the patch comes.

They have mentioned before that they would love to fix the bug and it wouldn't take more than few minutes of work for them BUT the patch would cost them too much. That's where they said a few praises about how patching on Wii U is free (or very cheap when compared to PSN and XBLA)

Online co-op?? I'm in!

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
It's one of these games, where the off-tv play function really shines. Casting magic cubes with Amadeus is much easier on touchscreen than it used to be with a controller.

King_Moc

Banned
Very positive on the Wii U. I predict a 2 page thread.

I double dipped on the Wii U version, looks nice, but my god does 30fps stand out on a sidescroller.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So wiiu needs a HDMI full range option puuuu-ronto then.

No, it just needs games using correct gamma for HDTV standard colour ranges. This only affects people running PC monitors that only support full range, which is a handful of people including some tech sites.

I bet the lack of such an option is either due to Nintendo not realising (possible), or to be consistent with the gamepad which may be better suited to limited RGB.

BTW, does the game support three player local coop?

kinggroin

Banned
Very positive on the Wii U. I predict a 2 page thread.

I double dipped on the Wii U version, looks nice, but my god does 30fps stand out on a sidescroller.

30fps?

Hmmmm....

PC version would be best visually.... But playing on the shitter and my bedroom is quite the draw.

Decisions decisions

Hiltz

According to Mikael Haveri, marketing manager at Frozenbyte:

We started working with the Wii U back in March, right after Nintendo contacted us for the first time. We had the port of Trine 2 working in about two days and then after that it was just about getting the game to look nicer and to implement the touch screen related features.I keep telling people about the first couple of days that we had the consoles, the dev kits, and when we got to really get into the game. I think we didn't start really until sometime early in the year still, but the fact was that we had a lot of things going on. Then when we got over the old things, we started with the Wii U and then in two days we had it running. We had it running really fast. So it was more about knowing your own tech and then having that 'eureka!' moment of making it work on this new hardware.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
JoelFB also posted a comment on the Eurogamer article.

Joel from Frozenbyte here. Great to see this, very nice. :) Worth of note is that the game actually has a dynamic resolution scaling feature on PS3 and Xbox 360 to keep a steady 30 frames per second. This shows in some levels (e.g. the 11th level Icewarden Keep has a scene in the beginning where this is somewhat visible, if I remember right). On Wii U the resolution is 720p solid.

Just to be clear, we will indeed be updating the "washed out" look. The observation about gamma level is correct, as there was a bug in the game that applied excessive gamma to the final output. It went unnoticed until release but we have now fixed it. So the game will soon look even better (similar in colour to the other versions). We're estimating a mid-December release for the update, give or take a few days, and it will also include support for Wii U Pro Controller, Voice Chat, some languages, and some minor things.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback too, glad to hear you folks are enjoying the game. :)

Top Bottom