• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Trine 2 (PS3/360/PC/Wii U) [Up: Mid-Dec patch for gamma bug]

Hero

Great to hear about the upcoming patch. Thanks for the all the information and communication, Joel. Any word on it being on sale in North America this month?

I don't think anyone was calling what they saw as an "analysis". Just that the lighting looked off, which was correct.
not really. The gamma of the whole game is off, not the lighting. There is a reason why DF try to gamma correct before making comparisons.

AzaK

I dunno which version is supposed to look better but having this game on gamepad and the tv at the same time is damn impressive

Remember it it just rendering it once and displaying to two screens. Not that that's not cool, but I assume you were thinking it was rendering it twice.

I currently own ZombiU, Trine2 and Nano Assault. The latter is only 10 bucks and very much worth it as well. Obviously it's not a port, but neither was Mario, right.

The patch is expected mid december, i think was posted earlier in the tread.
I will probably buy these two games too :).I bought the consoles for first part games and will buy an port i'm interested if it's the best version.

Edit: lol, i noticed that so far i only bought games with clearly visible anti aliassing in gameplay.

It's soooooo important mo. Jaggies are distracting and ruin the fine art.

Richie

Props to you and the rest of the team for their commendable work, Joel! This will be my first purchase on the e-Shop once I get the console three weeks from now; say, is the team happy with sales numbers so far? Efforts like this must be supported!

Looky looky, a positive DF related to Wii U?

Isn't this game Unreal Engine based?

Edit: Methinks this will be the shortest DF thread ever
Although not surprised, but I am disheartened to see this becoming true; I guess we could have a hyperbolic title to help it stand out more.

---
The game looks really good, only if I had heard the same about the gamplay, I would have already bought it for PC.

deleted

Hey guys, Joel from Frozenbyte here.

We're estimating a mid-December release for the update, give or take a few days, and it will also include support for Wii U Pro Controller, Voice Chat, some languages, and some minor things.

--

The above is what I've been hinting at in the mid-December update.

Other tidbits:

- The engine is our own indeed, we spent the year 2010 rewriting it from scratch almost (also the original Trine 1 engine is our own, although that's based on the Shadowgrounds engine(s) from 2001-2007)

- We did spend some time optimizing the game for Wii U, and it did make a nice impact (hard to say how this compares to other developers' work - but of course we were lucky in the sense that the game itself was more or less done, so we had more time to focus on making sure it was also running well)

- The multiplayer "party mode" we've hinted at in some early interviews etc is probably not happening. Mid-way development we ditched it and focused on the new Dwarven Caverns exclusive level instead (which is great - sadly it's a level that you can unlock only by playing the game to completion, so we haven't heard much feedback on it).

- Yes there is online co-op (3 players max). It should work well, not a lot of feedback on it yet but haven't heard much negative. It's possible that there's some kind of a bug that ends the game session upon disconnect, but it could also be that some people are misinterpreting it a bit (if you play as host, and disconnect, then the game will end for all players, but if a client disconnects, it should not end the game for the others - unless there's a bug, of course).

- Also local co-op for up to 3 players, using one GamePad and other players use Remote + Nunchuks (not quite ideal but works okayish). See below for Wii U Pro Controller.

- The mid-December update will also include Wii U Pro Controller support, Voice Chat, new languages (BR-PT, some others possibly), and some minor things.

Anyhow thanks a lot, we appreciate the feedback and thoughts. :)

-Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2: Director's Cut

Nice to hear that you are a) getting along with the Wii U and b) will support this version after launch.

I know you propably can't say anything concrete about the Wii U sales, but are you satisfied so far?

Hey guys, Joel from Frozenbyte here. I think I'll just repost my comment to the DF article:

Well, I have the game already on PC, but this demonstrates hom much dedication and love to have put to the wii port, and the extras you are adding sound delicious, so that means that I will buy it also there!

Blades64

Banned
*Tumbleweed*

Yep. It's a positive Wii U thread.
I keed, I keed.

Nice to hear about the improvements on the Wii U version of the game. :)

Someone already mentioned this earlier but Sony patched in support for full range after launch but do we have any indication yet from Nintendo that they're even aware that this is an issue?

Soroc

I was going to wait to buy this game on the Eshop but Joels contributions to this thread and the updates that are coming, I'm going home after work and buying this tonight.

Congrats on the successful launch Joel and the FB team!

glad I read this thread, I was planning to start this tonight but I think I will hold off until the patch is out to test out the pro controller.

glad I bought this already. I double dipped as well because I wanted to have it on WiiU and to support the dev. Damn right decision this was.
the game was and is awesome and so stunning visually. kudos, guys
btw pro controller for wii works like a charm already.

Interesting article. I know the Trine 2 devs maintained for a while they were able to do more with the Wii U than with PS360, so it's nice to see them validated. I think it's a shame titles like Batman, which promised improvements in their e3 media, didn't have the time or resources to include them.

I would love to get this, but as it'll likely never be released for JPN, I'll probably not get the chance.

As for the shortness of the thread - not only is it fairly positive about the Wii U (so no defenders/trolls/whatever you would like to call them), plus it's a digital game, so it already has limited appeal.

Interested in reading an ACIII Face Off, have they announced anything?

Shai-Tan

Banned
Thanks for the posts Joel, I wish there were a lot more devs like you around! :)

yep, it's always nice to have some people posting around here who actually know something :) I think the wait to get an account maybe stops some devs from jumping in to offer insight when they casually come upon threads about them or something related.

TheD

The Detective
That is quite interesting.
So Trine 2 stays on 1080p whilst XPS360 oscillate between that and 720p?
That's quite a difference.

No, 720P.

On Wii U the resolution is 720p solid.

Even if it wasn't really cpu light, physics is the one thing that could be moved to the GPU. There's lot of work on that area in the PC.

Not really.

GPU Physx only works for effects that do not affect objects that are controlled by the CPU (like the player), games like Trine2 (which use Physx) have to do it on the CPU if they want the effects to interact with the world.

Havok was being ported to run on GPUs (and not be limited like Physx) but they found that it was not a good fit.

I got this game and it really looks stunning. I played it about halfway through on 360. But you can clearly see the Wii U version looks better when you played the 360 version for some time!

StevieP

Banned
No, 720P.

Not really.

GPU Physx only works for effects that do not affect objects that are controlled by the CPU (like the player), games like Trine2 (which use Physx) have to do it on the CPU if they want the effects to interact with the world.

Havok was being ported to run on GPUs (and not be limited like Physx) but they found that it was not a good fit.

DF says the physx stuff is on the Wii U as well. I'm sure they meant the equivalent effects, not physx itself

Medalion

Banned
Good news doesn't generate discussion, it's just pointless gushing
but complaints means a chance to get shit off yer chest, always good for a larf

Got it

TheD

The Detective
DF says the physx stuff is on the Wii U as well. I'm sure they meant the equivalent effects, not physx itself

Physx is a physics middleware that runs on the PC, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii ect.

Most of it runs on the CPU with the PC version supporting the ability to off load some effects to Nvidia GPUs, but said effects can not interact with the CPU physics sim (run by physx).

Trine 2 uses Physx, but can not off load it to the GPU due to it interacting with the game world.

I've played through most of Trine 2 on PC (and a bit on PS3), and it doesn't exactly have Motorstorm 2 level physics ... So yeah, I'm pretty sure the CPU isn't much of a bottleneck. But the game uses some really cool graphics effects (volumetric fog and such) that especially stand out when you play the game in stereo 3D (because then you can see especially well that all those godrays and fog and such are not 'faked').

Seik

Banned
Thanks for posting here Joel! :D

I'll buy this game on Wii U this friday, never played any Trine before but it seems awesome, especially playing some local co-op with friends.

zsidane

Proof (if needed) that even with multi-platforms engines, if the devs take the time to tweek the engine to adapt to the machine, good things can come out of it.
Hope Epic and other engines developers will invest to take into considerations the WiiU specifications.

nickcv

i'm totally going to get this as soon as i finish NSMBU

right now it seems like there's a discount on the game on the Wii U eShop, what is going to be the regular price?

any people can comment a little bit on local multiplayer?
i'm getting this game also to play it with my bf

Game looks gorgeous and I'll definitely be downloading it soon when I can afford it (Wii u launch cleaned me outout) hopefully I'll still catch it at sale price

Vagabundo

Good news doesn't generate discussion, it's just pointless gushing
but complaints means a chance to get shit off yer chest, always good for a larf

Got it

To a certain extent, yes.

However there is some meaty stuff in this thread, worth some discussion. The usually We Hate U crew are missing.

Anyway, hopefully we'll get some more meat later in the day. Joel did say he would come back if the thread was still alive.

Recon_NL

Banned
In the first 3 screens, the PS3 version looks allot cleaner then the Wii U versies. The Wii U version has more jaggies...

Top Bottom