• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

iceatcs

Holy moly. That's lack of foliages on Xbox One.

Remember there is new FPS features, therefore the graphics extreme important make it a lot deal, even affect the gun-play because you can hide/protect by the foliages.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm here to read about real technical details and how they might impact the gameplay IE: Framerate, VSync, lousy resolution, etc...Sounds like this is a small issue IMO. Some of you guys troll real hard for the littlest details. Just buy it on your console of choice an be happy.
This is like going into a Beatles appreciation thread and saying anyone that likes For Sale is an idiot. You might not care, but how much separation do you want? One thread for technical analysis and another for the aesthetic repercussions of technical analysis?

ironcreed

Banned
So Xbone has a little less foliage. How does this impact people's enjoyment of the game again?

Graphics whores be trollin...lol

I don't think it should impact anyone's enjoyment, but it does just plain look better. I would rather have it than not. I am just calling a spade a spade.

Phades

So Xbone has a little less foliage. How does this impact people's enjoyment of the game again?

If anything, they would be performance whores (as higher performance would include better fidelity) and if the conversation is about performance and you are simply complaining about them, why are you here?

Chobel

I think Dragon Age has the problem on all platforms. Comparison videos seem to show gamma is consistent across all platforms. I could be wrong about this, though.

Reduced image quality as a tradeoff for extra grass and lens flare? Hell no.

Ah OK, so it's an artistic choice. Weird decision though, there are better ways to darken the image without destroying some of its details in the process.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Holy moly. That's lack of foliages on Xbox One.

Remember there is new FPS features, therefore the graphics extreme important make it a lot deal, even affect the gun-play because you can hide/protect by the foliages.

XBOX1 owners: Nowhere to hide.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think Dragon Age has the problem on all platforms. Comparison videos seem to show gamma is consistent across all platforms. I could be wrong about this, though.
Then it's not really black crush, is it? I mean, developers can define how their game looks and that includes creating completely black spaces. Doom 3 was designed that way as were most of the Silent Hill games. I know it's not a horror title, but still, the point stands.

It should be noted that, on the right display, this can look fine. On a good OLED TV or a Kuro plasma those dark areas appear richly black but on many LCDs you simply wind up seeing backlight (or issues related to dynamic backlight).

Wiseguy

Banned
Complaining about folks dissecting a game apart in a performance thread is normally ban worthy. Just saying. You might want to edit.

I apologize for using an old gaming forum term/meme "graphics whore* But it's true. You have people making GIFS putting down games on different platforms. It's juvenile.

And I may be new to posting on here, but I've been reading these forums for more that a decade. I know I should be used to this stuff but some of the posts here are disappointing.

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
I find it comical that one GTA5 thread is full of anti Xbox post due to graphic parity, the other is full of PSN complaints due to online parity. Can't we all be winners?

Cess007

RWA2KMR.gif

I got flashbacks of RDR from last gen.

You're not a very wiseguy, uh? :p

I'll have a good laugh when DF says that the PS4 version has more judder. Something that could impact gameplay and cause eye fatigue. You can keep your grass LOL.

Is there something you're trying to prove or just bitter? Seriously I have no idea what you're going for here. It's a graphics thread so graphics will be discussed. No need to be salty.

Mr Moose

I apologize for using an old gaming forum term/meme "graphics whore* But it's true. You have people making GIFS putting down games on different platforms. It's juvenile.

And I may be new to posting on here, but I've been reading these forums for more that a decade. I know I should be used to this stuff but some of the posts here are disappointing.

I'll have a good laugh when DF says that the PS4 version has more judder. Something that could impact gameplay and cause eye fatigue. You can keep your grass LOL.

K...

I'm here to read about real technical details and how they might impact the gameplay IE: Framerate, VSync, lousy resolution, etc...Sounds like this is a small issue IMO. Some of you guys troll real hard for the littlest details. Just buy it on your console of choice an be happy.

It's not a small issue. It can be the difference of a highly detailed landscape and one that is a drawn out texture.

You don't get to tell people what is and isn't a 'real' technical detail, sorry bruh.

No you haven't.

Damn, that was quick. Back to youtube comments for that guy.

better exit

Ha!

Then it's not really black crush, is it? I mean, developers can define how their game looks and that includes creating completely black spaces. Doom 3 was designed that way as were most of the Silent Hill games. I know it's not a horror title, but still, the point stands.

I'm only going off of videos, though. I haven't seen them in person. Hopefully you guys get a writeup on it soon, and with suggestions for correct brightness settings. I'd like to see brightness setting recommendations for every XB1 game if possible. It would be a great addition to your face offs.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sticks are fine to me. Just feels better all around. It doesn't bother me to have to buy a 12 buck pack of Eneloops and a headset adapter, though. I can't buy and upgrade for rumble triggers on the DS4. I thought those would be a dumb addition, but they really are something all controllers should have going forward. Silent triggers are great as well.

I do like the DS4 a lot, though. Much improved over the shitty DS3. Still superior d pad since it is dead silent compared to the obnoxiously clicky one on the X1 controller.

To highlight the should be obvious point of "really neat feature if done right", one of the reasons I am liking the DS4 more and more is its built-in speaker: some games make really really good use of it and the reason they can is also the fact that the speaker does not sound like crap. Quite the opposite in fact :). I am amazed they chose such a good built-in speaker actually.

RoKKeR

Always love it when these conversations get derailed by one image/gif, really productive.

Surprised R* didn't just bite the 900p bullet honestly.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Well. I tried to tell you. Bye bye Wiseguy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm only going off of videos, though. I haven't seen them in person. Hopefully you guys get a writeup on it soon, and with suggestions for correct brightness settings. I'd like to see brightness setting recommendations for every XB1 game if possible. It would be a great addition to your face offs.
I'm actually working on Dragon Age right now - but, unfortunately, the PS4 version has been tough to get (it's coming tomorrow). I've had the XO and PC versions for almost a week, though. Should be up sometime later this week (or Saturday at the latest).

Ahh...so that's what it is? Feeling a little butthurt huh? Lol, that silly console war nonsense rears it's head again.

cackhyena

To highlight the should be obvious point of "really neat feature if done right", one of the reasons I am liking the DS4 more and more is its built-in speaker: some games make really really good use of it and the reason they can is also the fact that the speaker does not sound like crap. Quite the opposite in fact :). I am amazed they chose such a good built-in speaker actually.
Yes, that thing is pretty awesome when done right. Not a lot of games are implementing the touchpad enough, but I think they will in time. That again, is another great addition.

I'm actually working on Dragon Age right now - but, unfortunately, the PS4 version has been tough to get (it's coming tomorrow). I've had the XO and PC versions for almost a week, though. Should be up sometime later this week (or Saturday at the latest).

Awesome. I really appreciate your work at DF.

Sean*O

Edit, Bish is fast.

Gotta say that lack of foliage is disappointing. I really wish these damn comparisons would come before the game releases. I mean, what the hell am I supposed to do? I wanna get these games as soon as possible.

Top Bottom