• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

Chobel

These threads are hilarious. Both console got perks. If you strictly want best looking games you should ALWAYS get PS4 version.

But I like how PS4 defense force is always there to make Xbox One owner feel bad for their purchase decisions.

If just by knowing you own the better looking game makes you sleep well at night then thats good. I honestly find these frame to frame graphical comparison silly. But hey thats just me. I am not judging anyone. If you are hardcore graphics guy, sure go ahead and buy what you think makes you more happy.

But dont judge other people who buy games on their Xbox One. I love OS feature like being able to jump in any games with voice command, I like pause/resume feature in games like this. I like achievements more, i got more friends to play with one Xbox one. I like xbox one controller.

So when I say those graphical difference are truly minor imo, I am not being a fanboy or "fighting the good fight" But I have other important things in my list to enjoy game other than graphics.

Friends : check
Controller : check
Don't care for graphics: check

LOL! You just can't have DF articles without posts like this. Heck, you even surpassed the usual posts by adding achievement as a bonus, just bravo!

Mr Moose

That gif with the grass is genuinely pissing me off. I'm mad I didn't scoop up the PS4 version now, but I bought digital on XB1 and I'm not going to triple dip unless I build a PC.

It would be nice if Azure could bring us some better foliage.

Edit: And are the settings messed up or something? Why the hell is it so washed out?

No screenshot function on the Xbox One.

Marlenus

Just seems strange to me. The bump to 1080p is roughly doubling the fillrate and footprint, but it should handily be capable of that, no room left over for a little grass? Maybe that's the case, but it's surprising.

Although 'HD Remasters' were never as impressive as I thought they were going to be last-gen. For whatever reason, despite the drastically simpler assets and things, the IQ and performance don't seem to get the kind of boost I'd have hoped.

I think it looks bad on PS4, even bad compared to TLoU actually, but maybe my expectations were a little high, it really just looks like a last-gen game at 1080p.

16 ROPS is just not enough to crank everything up at 1080p. The other thing is that that with DDR3 even 16 ROPS will be bandwidth starved so unless they are feeding the ROPS from the ESRAM they cannot even hit peak performance with them.

dork

Banned
I'm going X1 for the same reasons. Controller and friends. Anything people have brought up so far takes nothing away from the X1 version enough for me.

Same. It just feels better playing on xbox than ps for me still :(. Even though I want that better looking one.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

LOL! You just can't have DF articles without posts like this. Heck, you even surpassed the usual posts by adding achievement as a bonus, just bravo!

It seems all the people with both consoles (a surprising amount of them hate their PS4) will always, always rationalize buying the XB1 version of a game. It could be 720P 20fps, but they love the controller and their friends play there. Funny how the PS4 has sold more consoles but these people have never met another soul that has one.

SgtCobra

Lol, it's a DF thread about graphics, don't even come in if "these threads are hilarious" and they get under your skin..
That, Mr. 3rdamention, is the only thing that's hilarious. People entering a DF thread saying stuff like: "Who cares anyway? I sure don't!! PS4 fanboys want to feel validated for their purchase, meanwhile I'm enjoying my Xbox One because of the controller and friends and snap and voice commands and TV etc etc etc"

Just don't enter a DF thread if you don't care, you won't convince anyone with your rant. You're only derailling the thread.

All these comparisons will seem so trivial when the master race PC version lands, you wont be able to see the woods for the trees.
I'm also getting the PC version but is elitist bs like this really needed? :(

PrinceKee

I went to a few different areas on Xbox One, and it seems to really depends where you go, some places have great foliage some are like the gift. It doesn't bother me too much anyway.

Can you upload clips to YouTube? Are there some that look like the gif in this thread?

abadguy

Banned
It seems all the people with both consoles (a surprising amount of them hate their PS4) will always, always rationalize buying the XB1 version of a game. It could be 720P 20fps, but they love the controller and their friends play there. Funny how the PS4 has sold more consoles but these people have never met another soul that has one.
Again i ask , why do you people care so much about which version they choose to buy? It's like you get commision for every copy sold on your platform or something.

DJ SLEV3N

Banned
UKfHYEZ.gif

lolol oh gaah.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Nonetheless would 900p help if it is a fill-rate problem.

Yes, it would help, but if the PS4 is firing on all fillrate cylinders at 1080p to push that foliage level, then the Xbone wouldn't be able to keep up with it, even at 900p.

omonimo

Banned
Just seems strange to me. The bump to 1080p is roughly doubling the fillrate and footprint, but it should handily be capable of that, no room left over for a little grass? Maybe that's the case, but it's surprising.

Although 'HD Remasters' were never as impressive as I thought they were going to be last-gen. For whatever reason, despite the drastically simpler assets and things, the IQ and performance don't seem to get the kind of boost I'd have hoped.

I think it looks bad on PS4, even bad compared to TLoU actually, but maybe my expectations were a little high, it really just looks like a last-gen game at 1080p.
Yes, in fact I'm not saying full foliage it's surely possible just decreasing the res. Maybe could help with some trick like low buffer for some foliage. Esram could be helpful in this scenario. I'm not an expert but it's nothing to crazy to speculate.

No different from last generation

So true. Without fail, in the DF threads, there's always someone with the os/controller/don't care. I agree, that those things might push someone to buy another version of the game, but it has nothing to do with the thread.

Ploid 3.0

Again i ask , why do you people care so much about which version they choose to buy? It's like you get commision for every copy sold on your platform or something.

Probably because last gen a whole site was made to compare games so everyone knew which versions to get for example. There's nothing wrong with having preferences though. I bought the digital preordered the PS3 version knowing full well a PS4 version and PC version would be made.

Do people really defend the Xbox One controller? I loved the Xbox 360 controller and hated the loose crappy sticks on the DualShock 3, but this gen it went the other way. The Xbox One's sticks are too loose, and the DualShock 4's are nice and tight.

Also the price is a rip-off for the Xbox One controller. Want to make it rechargeable? Add $25. Wanna use your own headset? Add $25.

So for the equivalent functionality -- not counting not having a touchpad and a speaker -- The Xbox One controller will cost you $110. Want to use it wirelessly on your PC via Bluetooth? Nope, can't do that. DS4 can.

I'll concede the Xbox One controller has a couple advantages -- better triggers and better battery life. But overall, it's a terrible value.

NickFire

People like talking games, ribbing each other, poking fun, etc. Been like that for all time. Shit, look at sports. People literally kill each other over whose teams are better.

Well I am glad I picked it up for my PS4, which is usually the obvious choice when it comes to multiplatform games as an owner of a PS4 and Xbox One, but AC Unity's performance issues on PS4 forced me to get the Xbox One version, the first multiplatform game I've purchased for my Xbox One.

cakely

I think its just a vocal minority of posters here on GAF. I now have the X1 and the PS4 and when it comes to multi-platform games, it's usually a pretty easy choice to go with the PS4 version.

AC:Unity and Strider are notable exceptions to that rule.

Well I am glad I picked it up for my PS4, which is usually the obvious choice when it comes to multiplatform games as an owner of a PS4 and Xbox One, but AC Unity's performance issues on PS4 forced me to get the Xbox One version, the first multiplatform game I've purchased for my Xbox One.

I'm hoping Ubisoft will get their shit together and the PS4 performance improves on Unity. I just assumed it would be better on PS4, plus Remote Play is good on AC titles, so I didn't even contemplate preordering the X1 version from Best Buy, and I don't want to lose my $10 reward cert for preordering.

For GTAV, though, I knew Rockstar would have their shit together.

So based on this video, the Xbox version is missing the blue lens flare? 5 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5GVTwWTaGs

Yep missing some flare effects as well, also at 17 seconds.
But this hasn't really a significant impact. The lacking grass/vegetation is a much bigger difference also considering that it was one of the highlights in the recent trailers.

Heh that's funny. I wonder if the X1 is missing those effects in general.

I have both versions and yes, that's how it is:

Csa01f2.gif

Damn, that is huge.
PS4 has the visual edge easily, but judging from the impressions so far, X1 might run better. Judder is certainly an issue for me on PS4. Also the game IS washed out, they need to fix that, it does not look like that on PS3.

Controller and friends is becoming meme worthy this gen.

It only works in the US, in other countries there are no "friends" with Xbones.

abadguy

Banned
Probably because last gen a whole site was made to compare games so everyone knew which versions to get for example. There's nothing wrong with having preferences though. I bought the digital preordered the PS3 version knowing full well a PS4 version and PC version would be made.

Still makes little sense to me. If someone feels they are buying the better version, why would they care about people getting the inferior copy? Does'nt effect them in the least unless they have some personal stake in it.

You can contact customer support by phone chat and request a refund

Well I tried doing that with Unity, bought it didn't work sense I bought the code from a third party. More specifically, I tried to get a Dragon Age license in exchange for the Unity license. I figured it was a long shot and it was since it didn't work, perhaps obviously.

I'm worried calling them about GTA will put a flag on my account or something.

ToD_

PS4 has the visual edge easily, but judging from the impressions so far, X1 might run better. Judder is certainly an issue for me on PS4. Also the game IS washed out, they need to fix that, it does not look like that on PS3.

Lowering the brightness a little in the in-game settings makes the game look more pleasing to me.

It's a perfectly legitimate reason, same if they prefer the XBox One's controller. To me these are pretty valid reasons, not 'meme's.

Why these reasons are brought up in a DF thread however is pretty damn odd.

greenegt

Speaking as an XB1-only owner, I think that's a reaction to the "you should always buy multiplats on PS4" sentiment. As if the XB1 versions are not worthy of playing.

shandy706

Do you/anyone have any pics of the same area from the PS360 versions?

Would make for an interesting comparison.

From what little I played on the 360. Literally borrowed it long enough to get the extras in the current-gen version...the grassy areas are horribly barren. Tons of just flat surfaces. There's a ton of grass on the X1 build. It looks like there is less than on the PS4 of course, it's not some barren wasteland though (hence my response to the guy saying the X1 version only got a res bump and the rest is last gen). ;)

That's utter BS. The textures, foliage, lighting, etc...is all greatly increased on both systems.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

1400448510b129b-original-1.jpg

Playing the current-gen build is a massive leap on the same screen. I literally played the 360 version for the first time last night before the 12:01am X1/PS4 release.

Top Bottom