• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

PrinceKee

Why couldn't DF get both copies at the same time. I really wanted to get this game on my X1 because of the controller and my friends. But, the difference in foliage is pretty big along with the fog...

StuBurns

Banned
Why is it lame?

Every developer should be doing things like this. If they arent, then THAT is lame.
Because the game doesn't look very good, even on PS4.

I don't want parity, but I struggle to believe XBO isn't more than capable of running the game with the foliage there. The PS4 version should look better, it should have nicer particle effects, richer smoke simulation, better lighting maybe, improved image quality, etc, but grass? It just seems like something that should be on both versions to me.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Depends what the CPU is being used for. He also points out that if you are using all of the CPU available on the Xbox One, making you above CPU budget on the PS4, but going for graphical parity, meaning you are below GPU budget on the PS4, your should be able to offload some tasks from the PS4s CPU onto the GPU and still have GPU budget left over.

I realize what GPGPU is but GPGPU is not in the same ballpark as a CPU when it comes to this kind of work load. Even if you used 30% of the GPU towards CPU computations it wouldn't be able to keep up with the 10% advantage on Xbox One(see Unity).

d9b

Banned
These threads are hilarious. Both console got perks. If you strictly want best looking games you should ALWAYS get PS4 version.

But I like how PS4 defense force is always there to make Xbox One owner feel bad for their purchase decisions.

If just by knowing you own the better looking game makes you sleep well at night then thats good. I honestly find these frame to frame graphical comparison silly. But hey thats just me. I am not judging anyone. If you are hardcore graphics guy, sure go ahead and buy what you think makes you more happy.

But dont judge other people who buy games on their Xbox One. I love OS feature like being able to jump in any games with voice command, I like pause/resume feature in games like this. I like achievements more, i got more friends to play with one Xbox one. I like xbox one controller.

So when I say those graphical difference are truly minor imo, I am not being a fanboy or "fighting the good fight" But I have other important things in my list to enjoy game other than graphics.

Yes, you are being a fanboy. If you don't care about graphics or graphical differences... don't participate in threads like this. It's simple.

SonnyBoy

I have both versions and yes, that's how it is:

Csa01f2.gif

Wait... That's an xBone vs PS4 comparison? I'm not trying to be funny, I thought that was a last gen vs current gen comparision.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Graphically yes but in any CPU-bound situation it's not.

A console isn't just its GPU.

After a long year+ of Shape, dGPU, display planes, Move engines, ESRAM, etc. you have settled on a meager 50Mhz CPU upclock as your saving grace? Oh how the mighty of fallen.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This sort of post is so incredibly see-through.

see through of what? I bought a ps4 specifically for this (and because I didnt want to change upgrade the PC yet), I had a choice of the One or PS4, I would have been pissed at my self had I choose the One (in this regard, still grabbing on for Halo),

StuBurns

Banned
I realize what GPGPU is but GPGPU is not in the same ballpark as a CPU when it comes to this kind of work load. Even if you used 30% of the GPU towards CPU computations it wouldn't be able to keep up with the 10% advantage on Xbox One(see Unity).
Oh yes, Unity. If any game is an indication of technical mastery, surely it is that one.

Ploid 3.0

I almost thought about getting Dragon Age Inquisition on console because my friends might, just might buy the game on a console. I found out none of them want to buy a EA game well after I preordered for PC.

omonimo

Banned
Because the game doesn't look very good, even on PS4.

I don't want parity, but I struggle to believe XBO isn't more than capable of running the game with the foliage there. The PS4 version should look better, it should have nicer particle effects, richer smoke simulation, better lighting maybe, improved image quality, etc, but grass? It just seems like something that should be on both versions to me.
At 1080p? Of course it can't . Maybe at 900p with some low buffer foliage, it's possible. Keep in mind ps360 version lack almost completely of grass, some area feel almost unnatural for this. Because it is expensive without a proper bandwith I guess.

Mr Moose

I thought it was 9%? And yeah... Unity...

the difference cannot be explained by the 10 per cent boost in CPU clock-speed on the Xbox One, perhaps suggesting that the underlying netcode issues are more to blame here.

Edit: I guess it is 10%?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
When you have less pixels you also have less pixels to "fill".

Yes, but PS4 has more fillrate headroom at 1080p than Xbone does at 900p.

Xbone's CPU advantage doesn't explain the performance deficit on PS4. For all we know, with the same level of attention the PS4 version might have run better than the Xbone version,

Ploid 3.0

All I know, is that I don't use the crazy skyrim grass mods because it's CPU and Ram intensive. I need to upgrade those. Could it be a esram thing? I mean they are already doing 1080p maybe they have to pick and choose their ram priorities at that res.

It's kinda weird people are wondering if it's last gen just because there's less 3D grass. Well it is a youtube screen grab, and compressed gif.

Marlenus

This is not the thread for discussing Unity.

I think both versions will have similar performance characteristics. Since there is extra grass on the PS4 version I wonder if they have added anything into the urban environments as well?

These threads are hilarious. Both console got perks. If you strictly want best looking games you should ALWAYS get PS4 version.

But I like how PS4 defense force is always there to make Xbox One owner feel bad for their purchase decisions.

If just by knowing you own the better looking game makes you sleep well at night then thats good. I honestly find these frame to frame graphical comparison silly. But hey thats just me. I am not judging anyone. If you are hardcore graphics guy, sure go ahead and buy what you think makes you more happy.

But dont judge other people who buy games on their Xbox One. I love OS feature like being able to jump in any games with voice command, I like pause/resume feature in games like this. I like achievements more, i got more friends to play with one Xbox one. I like xbox one controller.

So when I say those graphical difference are truly minor imo, I am not being a fanboy or "fighting the good fight" But I have other important things in my list to enjoy game other than graphics.

Lol, it's a DF thread about graphics, don't even come in if "these threads are hilarious" and they get under your skin..

BTW, who is judging others for buying an Xbox 1? I'm not seeing any judging, I just see you touting OS features in a GTAV performance thread, which I don't understand....

Watched the video and it looks to perform really well. It's 30FPS in almost every circumstance despite very brief drops to 29FPS and then it regains to 30 and stays there.

I'm happy with this performance.

*edit*

Wow, the foliage is disappointing as I'm buying this for X1. I was really impressed with the new foliage in every shot I'd seen, and to see that it's just a fraction on the X1 is disappointing.
I'm less worried about differences in lighting in the next scene because it could be different weather in the different versions even if the scene is staged the same.

*double edit*

I'm also getting this for X1 over PS4 because I have more "real life" friends on X1.

StuBurns

Banned
At 1080p? Of course it can't . Maybe at 900p with some low buffer foliage, it's possible. Keep in mind ps360 version lack almost completely of grass, some area feel almost unnatural for this. Because it is expensive without a proper bandwith I guess.
Just seems strange to me. The bump to 1080p is roughly doubling the fillrate and footprint, but it should handily be capable of that, no room left over for a little grass? Maybe that's the case, but it's surprising.

Although 'HD Remasters' were never as impressive as I thought they were going to be last-gen. For whatever reason, despite the drastically simpler assets and things, the IQ and performance don't seem to get the kind of boost I'd have hoped.

I think it looks bad on PS4, even bad compared to TLoU actually, but maybe my expectations were a little high, it really just looks like a last-gen game at 1080p.

greenegt

After a long year+ of Shape, dGPU, display planes, Move engines, ESRAM, etc. you have settled on a meager 50Mhz CPU upclock as your saving grace? Oh how the mighty of fallen.

*Shudder* Those were some bad times. I just want to enjoy some games.

ElyrionX

I am definitely waiting on the full DF analysis before picking up my copy. I really hope there is one clear definitive winner.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Yes, you are being a fanboy. If you don't care about graphics or graphical differences... don't participate in threads like this. It's simple.

So "fanboy" term only applies to people when it comes to game visuals? If not then in my eyes you are also considered as a PS4 "fanboy" since you ignore any other neat feature that Xbox One has.

Even if I say PS4 is not powerful than Xbox One then I can see why you would think I am a fanboy, but just having different priorities to enjoy game makes one a fanboy? Come on now.

If the grass is this paired back on Xbox One the Witcher 3 devs are going to have their work cut out for them over the next few months. That game is basically non stop foliage.

omonimo

Banned
That's not true at all simply because 9% of more speed in the CPU it's almost nothing in the whole performance of a game. And I doubt Unity has such 'advantage' just for this. I admit 2 - 3 fps of advantage could be possible in some scenario, but what I seen it's beyond the normality. We need to know exactly what Ubisoft did to have such results because it's not clear at all.

FrsDvl

I went to a few different areas on Xbox One, and it seems to really depends where you go, some places have great foliage some are like the gift. It doesn't bother me too much anyway.

That gif with the grass is genuinely pissing me off. I'm mad I didn't scoop up the PS4 version now, but I bought digital on XB1 and I'm not going to triple dip unless I build a PC.

It would be nice if Azure could bring us some better foliage.

Edit: And are the settings messed up or something? Why the hell is it so washed out?

Top Bottom