• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Colbert

Banned
I don't think we will get more details about how they customized the CPU or GPU. That information will only available via partner network.

Colbert

Banned
Maybe more around e3, hotchips or whatever it is?
Hotchips will be the only event where there is an audience interested in this topic from a professional standpoint. But looking into what was told there the last time, especially the modifications of the gpu command processors where not mentioned at all. If they keep it on that level I do believe you shouldn't keep your hopes on high .

MarveI

Hmmm.....

399 and with a Aug/Sept release would cause riots of goodness.

Phil: ''As for the price...starting at 399..and you can pre-order.... NOW''
Then drops mic while the crowd goes boom.

I genuinely hope they release it before october. September would be ideal. Just in line for the big drop of AAA games. I hope MS doesn't make a mistake and release it in november/dec.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do I speculate and sell my XB1S now (I can live without 4K UHD movies for a few months, and I have an OG XB1 in the spare room), hoping that scorpio is ~£349. Or just wait it out

gamz

Do I speculate and sell my XB1S now (I can live without 4K UHD movies for a few months, and I have an OG XB1 in the spare room), hoping that scorpio is ~£349. Or just wait it out

Hold. Might as well keep the whole family together. :)

No way its not 399 in some form.

Maybe they can do a premium 499 sku with a SSD or hybrid drive or something but there will be a 399 model.

I expect a price cut for the S as as well so the price gulf will be around 150 which is a decent gap.

Also if the dev kit has a SSD I hope that means Scorpio is finally able to take advantage of suck a drive. Also please have user upgradeable internal storage. Given that MS completely abandoned the "sell overpriced caddied HDDs" for the XB1 I assume it wasnt THAT big of a moneymaker for them with the 360 in the long run. Hope they add a PS3/4 type solution where you can just slot any drive in.

rainz

Man.. If Scorpio somehow tapped into wireless VR first.. that would be, frankly...Huge. MS are actually in a great position to be first to market on a consumer level for something like that...

All signs from Phil etc though lead to them not just yet, so I'm wary of taking those tweets at face value... Stil, it would be a great leap forward for VR. Plus, the warrior salt would be epic here if it hasn't been already haha...

oldergamer

Man.. If Scorpio somehow tapped into wireless VR first.. that would be, frankly...Huge. MS are actually in a great position to be first to market on a consumer level for something like that...

All signs from Phil etc though lead to them not just yet, so I'm wary of taking those tweets at face value... Stil, it would be a great leap forward for VR. Plus, the warrior salt would be epic here if it hasn't been already haha...

MS should make a VR headset that uses wireless POWER. Now that would be interesting.

gamz

Inside the Scorpio Engine: the processor architecture deep dive

New article is up.

Digital Foundry will be running a similar deep dive regarding the construction of the retail console tomorrow.

Sweet!!!

This is insane.

"We did multiple PIX captures from every single game and ran them on the emulator," Andrew Goossen, Technical Fellow, Graphics, tells us - a process that proved invaluable for validating Scorpio's back-compat capabilities. "We did over 30,000 emulator runs, which is a big contributor to Nick's total cycle count because we had to make sure that we were going to land with that 100 per cent compatibility [with Xbox One]."

Inside the Scorpio Engine: the processor architecture deep dive

New article is up.

Digital Foundry will be running a similar deep dive regarding the construction of the retail console tomorrow.
New thread? This article has some interesting tidbits.

"I also expect variations of titles that are perhaps running at 900p at 30fps on Xbox One today that they can leverage the 31 per cent boost to CPU clock along with a bunch of other optimisations in conjunction with our D3D12 offload to potentially offer 1080p60 rather than 900p30. It's totally up to developers.

gamz

"I also expect variations of titles that are perhaps running at 900p at 30fps on Xbox One today that they can leverage the 31 per cent boost to CPU clock along with a bunch of other optimisations in conjunction with our D3D12 offload to potentially offer 1080p60 rather than 900p30. It's totally up to developers."​

Yes, please. I need some of you to make sense of all of this.

Space_nut

Good to know some Vega features are in the gpu customizations. The DX12 chip on the gpu is very impressive

According to Goossen, some performance optimisations from the upcoming AMD Vega architecture factor into the Scorpio Engine's design, but other features that made it into PS4 Pro - for example, double-rate FP16 processing - do not. However, customisation was extensive elsewhere. Microsoft's GPU command processor implementation of DX12 has provided big wins for Xbox One developers, and it's set for expansion in Scorpio.

Space_nut

So it has Vega stuff but not fp16, i wonder why

FP16 isn't a new thing. I believe its uses are very limited as stated by devs and isn't as much of a benefit than customizing for significantly increased bandwidth and memory with the gpu. A 326gb/s bandwidth does more for the gpu than fp16 I bet

Bru

"I also expect variations of titles that are perhaps running at 900p at 30fps on Xbox One today that they can leverage the 31 per cent boost to CPU clock along with a bunch of other optimisations in conjunction with our D3D12 offload to potentially offer 1080p60 rather than 900p30. It's totally up to developers.

Feel free to start a new thread. I'm out shopping and can only post via mobile.

Edit: No problem, new thread is up. Thanks Space_nut!

geordiemp

Delta colour compression and Bigger L2 cache so 32 ROPs is good is what I got from the DF article.

Quite light on info or did I miss anything new ?

FP16 isn't a new thing. I believe its uses are very limited as stated by devs and isn't as much of a benefit than customizing for significantly increased bandwidth and memory with the gpu.
Actually, devs have said that potentially as much as 70% of their engine's work can be converted to FP16, which would be a 35% gain. Since packed math reduces transfer time and memory footprint, it addresses the exact same issues as increasing bandwidth and memory size.

You're right that it won't be quite as effective in practice, though, since it doesn't apply to all work and it does need some extra optimization.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
According to Goossen, some performance optimisations from the upcoming AMD Vega architecture factor into the Scorpio Engine's design, but other features that made it into PS4 Pro - for example, double-rate FP16 processing - do not.

Interesting.

ThirdEye

FP16 isn't a new thing. I believe its uses are very limited as stated by devs and isn't as much of a benefit than customizing for significantly increased bandwidth and memory with the gpu. A 326gb/s bandwidth does more for the gpu than fp16 I bet
An early result seems good for FP16 usage on a game
http://gamingbolt.com/mass-effect-a...kerboard-rendering-30-improvement-due-to-fp16
Lastly, the developer also revealed how PS4 Pro’s support for FP16 GCN instructions brings about 30% improvement in performance while rendering the game in checkerboard mode.
Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/mass-effect-a...0-improvement-due-to-fp16#ibkrLRL3s17xVsYM.99

I wouldn't call that a good result yet.

First, it was a very fast pass on its own that may very well benefited more from the bandwidth savings than the double rate processing.

And second, the DF video on the game had some very strange artifacts on the edges sometimes, perhaps it's the utilization of fp16 and not checkerboard itself that's causing this?

And last, if they did looked themselves where they could apply fp16 (as opposed to being just a code handed by sony, which is a possibility given the super limited scope of the application) and that was all they could convert to fp16 than it has less applicability on real games than what I was expecting.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Good to know some Vega features are in the gpu customizations. The DX12 chip on the gpu is very impressive

Must be extremely minor Vega enhancements. Looks like that only color compression is the only big Vega feature. Now we know how they got the die size close to the pro. Interesting design choices for both Sony and MS. Honestly this does surprise me a lot. Figured the one year wait was for Vega features. Looking like the wait was to get development tools to a high level.

That 30% in that slide is ambiguous. Reads to me that the 30% improvement using packed FP16 is limited to the checkerboard resolve shader, which is 2ms out of 24ms. Which means the use of packed FP16 makes around a 3% improvement in the entire rendering pipeline. Though future engines will likely leverage packed FP16 in more parts of their pipelines making its use more significant.

timlot

Banned
That reads more that fp16 helps with checkerboard rendering and not actually adding 30% gpu power.

They had to use 1800Checkerboard PLUS fp16 to save 30% compared to native 1800p. Nothing too impressive but shows that checkerboard is perfect for pro

Dice has said checkerboading implementation is complex. They had to do same with battlefield 1 with fp16 with 4kcheckerboard. Here's the presentation...
https://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/4k-checkerboard-in-battlefield-1-and-mass-effect-andromeda

Top Bottom