• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Space_nut

Beyond3d :)

30% on a specific process...and using FP16 not specifically Double-Rate FP16 so this would apply To Scorpio to..

http://www.frostbite.com/2017/03/4k-checkerboard-in-battlefield-1-and-mass-effect-andromeda/

Another optimization was the usage of FP16 GCN instructions in our checkerboard resolve shader. PS4™Pro has support for FP16, and we used it throughout the checkerboard resolve shader. The largest benefit was the ability to greatly lower our LDS memory usage. This resulted in a 30% performance improvement in the resolve shader.

In the grand scheme of things...this isn't much at all...and would apply to Scorpio.

The one in the XB1 are very limited compared to Scorpio. Basically XB1 has v1.0 and Scorpio has v2.0. They significantly upgraded the capability and programbility of the DX12 hardware chip on Scorpio's gpu
Oh, they did? Please describe how the changes they've made are so significant.

Because it's basically useless except for a few areas where you can make the trade of precision loss to get a small performance boost?
There are actually many areas where FP16 can be used to give a performance boost. And even small effects are meaningful; in the console world where titles typically dip below their target framerates, small jumps could keep them solid and smooth.

Of course, it remains to be seen what the real-world effects will be.

And second, the DF video on the game had some very strange artifacts on the edges sometimes, perhaps it's the utilization of fp16 and not checkerboard itself that's causing this?
No, that had nothing to do with FP16. They look like normal CBR reprojection artifacts.

That 30% in that slide is ambiguous. Reads to me that the 30% improvement using packed FP16 is limited to the checkerboard resolve shader, which is 2ms out of 24ms. Which means the use of packed FP16 makes around a 3% improvement in the entire rendering pipeline.
That particular presentation is confusing people, because it says they got ~30% improvement using FP16 for one particular part of CBR. But on another slide it also shows a ~30% improvement overall from using CBR versus standard rendering. Folks seem to have conflated the two.

Though future engines will likely leverage packed FP16 in more parts of their pipelines making its use more significant.
No need for future engines. Though the particular presentation doesn't mention it, Frostbite already uses FP16 for other things. Here are some links on how they were using FP16 back on PS3.
Link 1 Link 2

Space_nut

Oh, they did? Please describe how the changes they've made are so significant.

E3 will show how. For now MS stated that the capability and programbility of the DX12 hardware chip on the gpu is more advanced over the XB1. Seeing how ForzaTech demo received same performance as the 1070 that shows a lot. But again more games will tell

For now MS stated that the capability and programbility of the DX12 hardware chip on the gpu is more advanced over the XB1.
They also said they're not using that capability yet, so apparently Microsoft don't think it's important enough to prioritize. This is why I think it's very premature to talk about how the upgrade will be huge or significant.

RoKKeR

All I'll say here is that when Microsoft reveals the box at E3, you should go in expecting surprises. Pleasant ones.​

I'm thinking that it's not going to look like a One S.
I'm pretty sure Phil has said it's going to look "related" to the One S. Something I would be more than fine with.

Strootman

C9nj8ofXsAA-G8R.jpg

Just imagine

Christ they are really spinning one article into four for clicks aren't they?!

I'm more than happy to read multiple articles in this case. It'd be like reading a small novel otherwise. Not to mention that most sites have data showing that people stop reading past a certain point. They're free to format their articles as they see fit.

All I'll say here is that when Microsoft reveals the box at E3, you should go in expecting surprises. Pleasant ones.​

I'm thinking that it's not going to look like a One S.

I'm just hoping it can still be placed vertically. Does their cooling system require a certain orientation?

Gestault

Christ they are really spinning one article into four for clicks aren't they?!

How dare they have ongoing reporting on new hardware. They obviously want clicks. They should definitely consider not reporting exclusive info, that would be more fair. One link with a preposterous page count and an overlapping mangle of topics would be preferable, if they really insist.

No mention about a new controller revision?

At most, I'd say we might get an Elite Controller 2.0 that features the same bluetooth support and better wireless signal of the "new" controllers. Otherwise, they're not likely to reinvent the wheel for Scorpio. Especially when existing accessories are supported.

Maybe if it didn't break down easily like they promised.

oh yeah, i forgot that the left bumper has a lower life span than the rest of the controller. :( luckily for me that hasnt happened yet and i've had mine for quite a while. since 2 months+ launch i think?

Same, got 2. Cant say the same for my day one controller and its replacement. Stick drift that i couldnt fix. Was praying it didn't happen to the elite.
My Day One controller had a vibration issue and also the drift issue so it just sits on the side of TV stand now. My Titanfall controller still works great, only reason I stopped using it was because I got the Elite haha

Ushay

C9nj8ofXsAA-G8R.jpg

Just imagine

Nah, Nintendo scratches that itch for me just fine.

MS need to double down on consoles and their library.

I can see them adding a share button to the controller without changing the design. One thing I really like about the Dual Shock 4.

Strootman

Nah, Nintendo scratches that itch for me just fine.

MS need to double down on consoles and their library.
Tbh I would like to be able to play my X1/Scorpio games on a switch xbox. Don't think about it like a different console... it would play the same games you already own, just with different graphic settings.

I think Nintendo had a really great idea.

Space_nut

Double rate FP16 applies to Scorpio too? What black magic is this?

FP16 has been used to reduce memory footprint forbuffers and such. What Scorpio can't do is handle 2 FP16 packages at the same time. Black magic alright

What the presentation shows 30% of a 10% render frame was due to using FP16 for a single process. That's a 3% performance saved overall. It's cool but FP16 isn't substantial

I see quite a few people wanting a "capture" button on the Xbox One Controller, I say no thanks. I do want some kind of Cortana support built into the console though. Just throw in some microphones so I can use Scorpio like an Xbox One + Kinect.

A Xbox portable would be great . A surface pro with a 1060 in it would go for 2k probably so for the guy that just want to game a Nintendo switch like portable would be pretty good .

ethomaz

Banned
FP16 has been used to reduce memory footprint forbuffers and such. What Scorpio can't do is handle 2 FP16 packages at the same time. Black magic alright

What the presentation shows 30% of a 10% render frame was due to using FP16 for a single process. That's a 3% performance saved overall. It's cool but FP16 isn't substantial
The issues with comparisons right now is that there is no benchmark with double-rate FP16 units because Vega is not out yet (you will see plenty of them in May).

Right now the only benchmark for games is FarCry that shows a 20% increase in performance with FP16 at quality trade off: http://www.hwupgrade.it/articoli/skvideo/1013/radeon-x800-e-il-momento-di-r420_19.html

Now we need to see how FP16 running twice faster than FP32 can increase this performance gain and if the trade off in image quality compenses it uses.

Vega launch this year will show a lot of comparisions.

A 3% performance gain is nearly 2fps on a 60fps game. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would find that substantial.

I'm in and out here, been a busy few days. 3% increase sacrificing image quality? Or am I way out there?
The presentation doesn't say whether image quality was traded off, but it seems unlikely. The very reason FP16 gives you minor real-world gains is because developers simply don't use it in the many situations where visual degradation would ensue. Chances are they stopped at 3% here because that was the threshold beyond which the results looked bad (for this particular implementation).

MilkyJoe

The presentation doesn't say whether image quality was traded off, but it seems unlikely. The very reason FP16 gives you minor real-world gains is because developers simply don't use it in the many situations where visual degradation would ensue. Chances are they stopped at 3% here because that was the threshold beyond which the results looked bad (for this particular implementation).

Can vanilla PS4 utilize this?

ethomaz

Banned
Can vanilla PS4 utilize this?
Their implementation was on PS4/XB1... they saw this performance gain in both consoles. Probably their implementation have performance issues with actual nVidia cards that runs FP16 way slower than FP32.

The results are not accounting for the double-precision rate of Pro.

interdasting
But while Tector was mostly about his company's upcoming console, he also expressed some regret for the Scorpio console not quite getting to where Turn 10 specifically would like it to be in terms of hardware. "We didn't get to the right place with audio hardware. On all of Xbox One. And we were hoping that would improve," said Tector. "Because that would really open up some CPU headroom for us. I don't know if I'm calling out something I'm not supposed to!"
we kind of think of PC as kind of the ultimate platform, in terms of scalability and all the different targets that we have."

Top Bottom