• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

The coolest part for One X owners is that these are early upgrades.

Games being built with One X in mind from scratch will really show what it's capable of.

The fact that this has some things even the PC version doesn't suggests that it'll be the exception and not the rule. I'll be quite surprised if the differences will be quite as dramatic as this in yet to be released multiplatform games, although that RAM is going to be doing some serious work with textures and foliage. Pretty exciting.

All it makes me wish is that Devs sack off 4k and just try to do as much with the hardware as possible at 1080p. The amount of resources that 4k rendering uses is astronomically high, which will limit these systems potential.

EvB

Could be a bug, not added yet, or cut for performance reasons. The port is still in development, so DOF could be added back later.

Enriched mode is surely the place to be if you want full fat post effects?

That 4K mode is just for showing off your pixels ain’t it?

Someone on Reddit said they simply decided to add dirt and dried up blood on Kara's face and that's it. I guess it definitely would explain why in that other comparison picture her face is pretty much identical to Pro on X.

Ah well, I'm sure DF's final video will tell us. That picture of the couple and other girl is superb, lol. Where is that from?

Nategc20

Banned
It's weird that bungie of all studios isn't the ones showing off the X power with destiny 2. Shame. Where or who do I send a fuck you too?

For Xbox this is all super interesting, they’ve clearly got a really robust solution that allows the hardware to be changed without causes huge compatibility issues.

Hopefully it will just smear over those cross-gen games as it doesn’t matter which console you play on as th games will function of both anyway.

The interesting part is that MS could easily encourage developers to put even more demanding configurations in their games , so the game will function even better on whatever the next the next gen console is, so we get more than just backwards compatibility, but the titles have been built with the foresight that it may well be played on a machine 10x more powerful

It looks like they have been doing that for a while Internally. I suppose it's the added bonus of having a high end PC sku next to the console.

Remember last year when version specific identifiers were showing up in the store for UWP games? I think the 1X is the bridge, not the savior as many would like to think. More of a full on transition to having teams build games that can look good 5yrs out.

KageMaru

Enriched mode is surely the place to be if you want full fat post effects?

That 4K mode is just for showing off your pixels ain’t it?

I was under the impression that the 1X media was from the 4K mode, so it looks like the 4K mode has some improvements as well. IMO it would be odd if the 4K mode didn't at least match the OG consoles in effects but won't know for sure until the system is out.

Enriched mode is definitely the mode for the best graphical settings though. Curious to see how it compares to the native 4K mode.

They literally can't.

They have a marketing deal with Sony.

Would that stop them from releasing a trailer showing 1X enhancements? That wouldn't be the same as Bungie showing up at a MS press conference or a Xbox Destiny 2 commercial.

And? This has nothing to do with what I was saying.
This is a ridiculous statement. Let's recap what was said:
personal opinions are not considered by DF about the quality of a game
This is false...they constantly offer personal, subjective opinions about the games they analyze.
And your response is "Sure you're right and that precisely contradicts what I said, but I wasn't talking about that?" I'm not sure you realize how silly you sound.

The coolest part for One X owners is that these are early upgrades.
I don't know about that. Developers have already known about Project Scorpio for twice as long as they did about Pro when its first enhanced games were shown. Ground-up One X games should indeed be better, but the current examples aren't really "early".

Those new assets are textures that very well may not (and quite likely won't) fit in the PS4 Pro's memory.
You can't know this. After all, Pro does have some games with very detailed textures, so it's possible in some situations. Due to the hardware it should be much easier on One X, and thus more widespread across the library, but claims that any particular game can or can't do it on Pro are just guesses.

No it's internally rendering half the amount of pixels compared to a native res
As has been explained to you repeatedly, by many people including developers, this is wrong. CBR renders the exact same number of pixels, but half with potentially reduced accuracy. But it does render them all, which is why it can sometimes give identical results to standard rendering.

Couldn't the depth of field effect present on the PS4 Pro version not also be sometimes utilized not solely for the atmosphere it may add to a scene, but also to hide less flattering detail so the player can instead focus on the parts that actually look best?
No. The DOF is also present on PC, where you can achieve better results than Pro. It is for aesthetic effect, to emulate the way lenses work (in both movie cameras and your eyes).

onQ123

Xbox One X is the console that I always think about a few years after a console is released. one of the 1st things you think about is what if we had more RAM for better textures.

FLAguy954

DILUj6PXcAI8155.jpg

You vs the girl he tells you not to worry about:

1308142246001.jpg

Duderino

No, it's not too soon. More accurately all 3rd party titles should look better on the 1X. There is technically no reason, CBR or not, for a game to look better on the Pro. However there could be resource, scheduling, budget, etc. reasons to why the 1X version looks similar to the Pro version with minimal upgrades. In the end though, there is no technical reason why the 1X shouldn't look better than the Pro version. This is no different than knowing all 3rd party games would at least look as good and should look better on the OG PS4 over the XBO port. We didn't need to have both consoles in our hands before we knew the PS4 would receive better versions. It's the same here but for the 1X.

I'll refer you to EA's GDC talk where they talk specifically about utilizing the PS4's object ID Buffer to help improve the checkerboarding quality.

There is no evidence, as of yet, that the Xbox One X either has a similar hardware level implementation, or that MS has provided resources to 3rd parties detailing how to produce the same buffer through software. The most we know is they talk about the use of sparse rendering, but that may or may not include the ID buffer, that as EA demonstrates, can have a positive impact on the final image quality.

Image quality is obviously not the only aspect that determines the quality of a games visuals, but it is entirely within the realm of possibility that the Pro's hardware level features make this task of implementing high quality checkerboarding easier on developers. It is what the system targets after all.

The simple fact of the matter is neither you or I know what will happen when the many developers out their start working on CB 4k implementations for each system. Tomb Raider being the first example of a situation where for some unexplained reason, the devs went with a more artifact prone method on the One X. Maybe in this case it was a trade off of some sort, but who knows what the future brings with other tittles.

Btw, this is not to undermine the accomplishments of Nixis or the Xbox One X. They are hitting native 4k in the other mode after all. That is quite the accomplishment in itself.

MaulerX

Someone on Reddit said they simply decided to add dirt and dried up blood on Kara's face and that's it. I guess it definitely would explain why in that other comparison picture her face is pretty much identical to Pro on X.

Ah well, I'm sure DF's final video will tell us. That picture of the couple and other girl is superb, lol. Where is that from?

That's a really nice way to downplay the extra RAM and Bandwidth that are really responsible for the higher quality textures. That's why I always laugh at people who only compare TF's and ignore what's going to end up being the XBOX's major strength, RAM and Bandwidth.

BriGuy

Xbox One X is the console that I always think about a few years after a console is released. one of the 1st things you think about is what if we had more RAM for better textures.
Textures schmextures, I've been waiting for games across the board to go back to a smooth 60fps since the PS2 was announced. Still waiting on that one ☹️

The update looks good, and it'll be the first thing I test on my XBX. Those few of you suggesting this is a generational leap over the Pro are nuts though. I don't even consider the XBX to be a full generational leap over the original Xbone. The GPU boost might come close, but a console is more than a GPU and the other components weren't nearly as blessed.

onQ123

I'll refer you to EA's GDC talk where they talk specifically about utilizing the PS4's object ID Buffer to help improve the checkerboarding quality.

There is no evidence, as of yet, that the Xbox One X either has a similar hardware level implementation, or that MS has provided resources to 3rd parties detailing how to produce the same buffer through software. The most we know is they talk about the use of sparse rendering, but that may or may not include the ID buffer, that as EA demonstrates, can have a positive impact on the final image quality.

Image quality is obviously not the only aspect that determines the quality of a games visuals, but it is entirely within the realm of possibility that the Pro's hardware level features make this task of implementing high quality checkerboarding easier on developers. It is what the system targets after all.

The simple fact of the matter is neither you or I know what will happen when the many developers out their start working on CB 4k implementations for each system. Tomb Raider being the first example of a situation where for some unexplained reason, the devs went with a more artifact prone method on the One X.

Xbox One X does give access to the ID/Index buffer

Microsoft-Xbox-One-X-Scorpio-Engine-Hot-Chips-29-04.png

Not really imo.
Well, it depends....

DOF turned off:

without06shr.png

DOF turned on:

with1bsmw.png

Screenshots taken from the PS4 PRO version (performance mode vs enhanced graphics).

I also played the PC port and turned DOF off because it`s implementation in some areas doesn`t look good imo.
I feel like 9 out of 10 times I like how games look with DOF and motion blur turned way down/off.

onQ123

Textures schmextures, I've been waiting for games across the board to go back to a smooth 60fps since the PS2 was announced. Still waiting on that one ☹️

The update looks good, and it'll be the first thing I test on my XBX. Those few of you suggesting this is a generational leap over the Pro are nuts though. I don't even consider the XBX to be a full generational leap over the original Xbone. The GPU boost might come close, but a console is more than a GPU and the other components weren't nearly as blessed.

I think 60fps is more of a newer cry , we didn't think about it so much until the PS3/Xbox 360 generation. More Ram is something I can remember wanting as far back as SNES

Maybe I'm blind, but where are you seeing that in this slide?

He's confounding, perhaps on purpose, Id buffer with index buffer. Not the same thing. But hey, it's all right. People are willingly omitting facts and provided explanations since the beginning of the thread just to push their agenda.

DeaDPo0L84

The fact that this console is as strong as it is makes me even more upset and dumbfounded they didn't just make this the next gen leap and have complete backwards compatibility. Not having X exclusive games is just dumb as games will always be created around the median. Basically the X will be additions to existing games instead of crafting a game from scratch to take full advantage.

I think xbox one x will destroy the pro when it comes to "premium" console market. I think sony rushed the 4k hype. scorpio will dominate the pro much much worse than ps4 dominated the xbox x imo.

Syrus

Banned
He's confounding, perhaps on purpose, Id buffer with index buffer. Not the same thing. But hey, it's all right. People are willingly omitting facts and provided explanations since the beginning of the thread just to push their agenda.

I sure MS chrckerboard will be just as good as the PRO.

Matt

I think xbox one x will destroy the pro when it comes to "premium" console market. I think sony rushed the 4k hype. scorpio will dominate the pro much much worse than ps4 dominated the xbox x imo.
That would be...well pretty shocking to say the least.

DeaDPo0L84

Maybe, and it'll do good for the Xbox brand moving forward but it's not gonna do a whole lot to the current gen perception or really make up any major ground overall.

It probably will and I agree, however the base models will still dominate sales by a large margin and that race won't change.

Adobe

lol some people here wow, throwing UC in here. It's pretty simple, games on the console with the better hardware looks better.

Fukuzatsu

Who knows, but the Xbox has an uphill battle regardless of specs. There are a number of major markets in which Xbox-anything basically does not sell, Japan being the best example. I suppose even if just in the US, UK, and some parts of Western Europe, the XOX could possibly outsell PS4 Pro (alone). The thing is 'Xbox One family' machines will still be having laps run around them by 'PS4 family' machines.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

If 20% of PS4s sold are Pros, and the PS4 continues outselling the X1 at the current pace, what percent of X1s sold would have to be X1X, for your dream to become reality?

It probably will and I agree, however the base models will still dominate sales by a large margin and that race won't change.

Base models will rule the market and the Xbox brand stays dead in mainland Europe and Japan. Just the way it is this gen and I don't know how they can turn it around. Having a terrible first party lineup with the same beaten to death franchises sure won't help.

But why.gif?

I don't understand why devs are wasting time and resources on this. Everyone knows that the human eye right now can't see past PS4 Pro levels of fidelity when in motion. smh.

In a couple years though, most likely by the time the PS5 launches, we will probably have evolved enough to see it. But it isn't worth it yet.

I can't be the only one who notices leaps in fidelity like this while playing games?

Duderino

I could see it going either way. Even if the PS4 Pro winds up being the more tailored system for it, there's no guarentee 3rd parties will utillize those features. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Watchdogs 2 go with a pure software CB implementation that in turn let them include it in the PC port?

Fukuzatsu

More than this, it depends how many games actually get X support as opposed to Pro support. Like, the XBX can be capable of 8K for all it matters if the games don't get patches. More anisotropic filtering and steadier frame rates is good for a lot, but games like Sunset Overdrive not getting patched would be a real shame.

Why does the Xbox One X have a "Press Esc" prompt at the top?

go to a youtube video, click the full screen button and see what appears at the top of your screen ;0

It's not outside the realm of possibility that the X outsells the Pro by a wide margin. There's far more incentive to upgrade to the X than the Pro.

For the first few months, sure, but after a while the Pro will drop in price and basically become the base PS4 SKU and there's no reason to believe that Sony are going to lose momentum.

sibarraz

Banned
Maybe, and it'll do good for the Xbox brand moving forward but it's not gonna do a whole lot to the current gen perception or really make up any major ground overall.

At this point everyone at microsoft knows that "winning" this gen is flatout imposible.

What microsoft is aiming is to change the perception that the crowd has of the xbox brand. At the beggining they sent a terrible message were everything was important EXCEPT videogames. Now they are showing that this machine is built on 100% with gaming in mind (and well, the 4K bluray player)

If you think about, is almost the same as the ps3 which did a complete change of their image for the best after the second half of their lifespan. The difference is that they were able to get the same sales than the lifetime of the 360. Microsoft fucked up there, but is still in big part thanks to the good strategy that Sony did

LKSmash

go to a youtube video, click the full screen button and see what appears at the top of your screen ;0

For the first few months, sure, but after a while the Pro will drop in price and basically become the base PS4 SKU and there's no reason to believe that Sony are going to lose momentum.

That's def the most likely scenario. I'm just playing devil's advocate and saying there's a chance.

Sizzel

I am confused as to why there is any resistance to this... of course, XOX is better than the Pro. Was this not a known thing? It s the literally the best place for console gamers with tech spec in mind to play games. PSpro is the best play for people who prefer a variety of games.

Xbox one X is the most powerful console that will have the best performance. If you play only major AAA multiplats... that is where you want to be(if you care about performance>$).

Getting warmer Microsoft.. keep backwards compatibility and get some more (good) ips in the hopper and you are good to go. PS took this round(/hardware distribution platform sales), but if I didn't game on a 1080ti...I would definitely pick this up for all the multiplets and leave PS4 for only exclusives.

More than this, it depends how many games actually get X support as opposed to Pro support. Like, the XBX can be capable of 8K for all it matters if the games don't get patches. More anisotropic filtering and steadier frame rates is good for a lot, but games like Sunset Overdrive not getting patched would be a real shame.

That's the shit part of these mid-gen upgrades. Tons of Sony games didn't get patched and boost mode is not very efficient either. I wish Pro/XB1X were the base models that came out in 2013 >_>

Top Bottom