• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

Detective

200.gif

No matter how many times I see that movie it feels like the first.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The textures aren't different on her face. It's just that she is in a different state of bloodiness.

I've also discovered that DF's comparison tool actually doesn't show the raw image, but a compressed jpg of a compressed jpg and the PS4 screenshots seem to suffer more.

I've been looking very closely and it appears there is some difference in the leather.
I wonder if this is a change to a shader rather than a texture?
LZgoJpt.jpg
We usually use BMPs but it's not feasible in the current system when dealing with 4K shots right now. We're working on a new zoomer system, though, to improve things.

Here's a 23mb BMP source file for you (from PS4 Pro). This is taken from as still a shot as possible to prevent motion blur. It's basically non moving at this point.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=06570820124648077849

I do expect that, with full post-processing enabled (which will likely be the case in the final game) things will look slightly different on Xbox One X.

EvB

So what happened, those textures aren't new?

The textures aren't different on her face. It's just that she is in a different state of bloodiness.

I've also discovered that DF's comparison tool actually doesn't show the raw image, but a compressed jpg of a compressed jpg and the PS4 screenshots seem to suffer more.

I've been looking very closely and it appears there is some difference in the leather.
LZgoJpt.jpg

I think this points to the Version that has been shown/screenshotted by the publisher being the 4K native version actually having some effects scaled down/turned off.

This seems to be suggested by the depth of field and bokeh not being present in the Xbox One X version when it was present in the other versions, including the original Xbox One.
On PC, if you are using the standard DOF setting, it automatically kicks in to the highest quality mode when you are in a cutscene.

On Xbox One, they actually run the cutscenes at a lower resolution than gameplay, possible because post processing effects like DOF are intensive.

We usually use BMPs but it's not feasible in the current system when dealing with 4K shots right now. We're working on a new zoomer system, though, to improve things.

Here's a 23mb BMP source file for you (from PS4 Pro). This is taken from as still a shot as possible to prevent motion blur. It's basically non moving at this point.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=06570820124648077849

I do expect that, with full post-processing enabled (which will likely be the case in the final game) things will look slightly different on Xbox One X.

Ah cool, it seems to be an issue sitewide with eurogamer, not just DF. You can see the same thing happening on the banner for the article.

I suspect that the version we are seeing is actually cut back in the same way that the high framerate mode is, perhaps with just resolution and texture quality being the improvements we are seeing.

KageMaru

Cool to see the dirty face texture was figured out. So basically the 1X has the high resolution PC textures, is that where we're currently at?

In the end, people just play the game and don't give a shit about some stupid dirt on her face.

I mean, do PS users even care atm about an "old" game? They have better games to wait for then go back and look at Lara again. Maybe Microsoft needs to re-introduce this game again for Xbox One X. They don't have anything new to show eventually...

You care enough to post and Troll at the same time. AFAIK this trailer was released by Square Enix, not MS. However you're probably right, MS must be focusing on old games because they have nothing new to show.

dark10x

Ah cool, it seems to be an issue sitewide with eurogamer, not just DF. You can see the same thing happening on the banner for the article.
Yeah, nothing I can do about it right now, I'm afraid. That's just how it is. Hopefully things will improve with the new one.

timmyp53

Cool to see the dirty face texture was figured out. So basically the 1X has the high resolution PC textures, is that where we're currently at?

You care enough to post and Troll at the same time. AFAIK this trailer was released by Square Enix, not MS. However you're probably right, MS must be focusing on old games because they have nothing new to show.
Wear and tear Texture is dynamic for all platforms.
Naturally ps4 is blurrier overall due to being CB.

EvB

I've just had a look, it's almost byte for byte the same size as the bmp version you can get the eurogamer CMS to serve you if you amend the urls.

I was watching this video

https://youtu.be/qBCdrRmJjyk

And yes Native 4K on YouTube, full of compression and it's noticeable. But in this video they show off all the modes and to be honest I expected the difference between Native 4K and the other two modes to be bigger. I was sitting quite close to my TV too.

I may end up playing my second playthrough in high framerate after all. We'll see. It's cool that we can just switch between the modes on the fly, I like that. I DID really notice it with Horizon when my friend brought his PS4 Pro over and we switched between resolution and performance.

I assume performance mode is 1080p and resolution is CB 4K in Horizon?

Neith

Banned
I love how one mediocre to good game is becoming the centerpiece for a new console war. Dear lord.

Mark my words: nobody cares about this game anymore.

Shit, I'm still making my way through underworld lol.

dark10x

I was watching this video

https://youtu.be/qBCdrRmJjyk

And yes Native 4K on YouTube, full of compression and it's noticeable. But in this video they show off all the modes and to be honest I expected the difference between Native 4K and the other two modes to be bigger. I was sitting quite close to my TV too.

I may end up playing my second playthrough in high framerate after all. We'll see. It's cool that we can just switch between the modes on the fly, I like that. I DID really notice it with Horizon when my friend brought his PS4 Pro over and we switched between resolution and performance.

I assume performance mode is 1080p and resolution is CB 4K in Horizon?
Yeah, I'm really bummed that some sites managed to get capture of this when SE was adamant that we could not. :mad: I suppose it's not hard to figure out why. It'll have to wait until final release, I suppose.

thelastword

Banned
EYXMdKn.jpg

That would explain some of the subdued colors in the video.

g7v41oG.jpg

I think that's a misrepresentation of improved textures and it fooled many people. This is just a regular screen/texture without DOF.

ienjNNK.jpg

I have not seen the improved AA on distant or close objects, if anything I've seen a tad bit more aliasing in that version..

As for the other improvements specified, I think it's mostly improvements over the XB1 version....and not necessarily improvements over the PRO+PC outright...For the Pro, native resolution and improved framerate, we can expect to see upticks there on XB, but I think the PRO covers everything else highlighted in that video....I would guess the PC covers everything the XBONEX covers and even more or at a higher quality, but at this point, we'll just wait for final XB code to confirm...

Space_nut

EYXMdKn.jpg

g7v41oG.jpg

I think that's a misrepresentation of improved textures and it fooled many people. This is just a regular screen/texture without DOF.

ienjNNK.jpg

I have not seen the improved AA on distant or close objects, if anything I've seen a tad bit more aliasing in that version..

As for the other improvements specified, I think it's mostly improvements over the XB1 version....and not necessarily improvements over the PRO+PC outright...For the Pro, native resolution and improved framerate, we can expect to see upticks there on XB, but I think the PRO covers everything else highlighted in that video....I would guess the PC covers everything the XBONEX covers and even more or at a higher quality, but at this point, we'll just wait for final XB code to confirm...

No the textures are better on Xbox One x as seen in many pics. The jacket, face skin, etc have higher res details

EYXMdKn.jpg

g7v41oG.jpg

ienjNNK.jpg

Do you believe there are no improvements over Pro? LOL

Caayn

I feel like Youtube has never been a good tool to measure IQ differences and I feel that it becomes an even worse tool for that with higher resolutions.

EvB

I feel like Youtube has never been a good tool to measure IQ differences and I feel that it becomes an even worse tool for that with higher resolutions.

It's even worse when the source material was poor.

The file size of the MP4 file from the SE media site is double the size of the file I downloaded from Youtube. And even that one was poorly compressed.

I love how one mediocre to good game is becoming the centerpiece for a new console war. Dear lord.

I played and beat the game on PS4 Pro, I'd give it somewhere around an 8.

It's not mediocre but I have no interest in playing it again.

And yes it is quite funny how a game released two years ago is at the center of the console war.

Duderino

So the 1X doesn't have the higher resolution PC textures? It looked like a match for the higher quality textures from the trailer.

From the looks of it, Laura's face may be using the same texture assets across all versions. Other assets though are likely another story.

timmyp53

I played and beat the game on PS4 Pro, I'd give it somewhere around an 8.

It's not mediocre but I have no interest in playing it again.

And yes it is quite funny how a game released two years ago is at the center of the console war.
Its not it's just gaf ethnocentrism as usual.

BigEmil

This medicore game suddenly matters because 'game on my more expensive plastic is better than yours'

KageMaru

The game is hardly mediocre. It's the only game we can use as a comparison so far. There is nothing wrong with people being interested in how a platform is being utilized, regardless of the system. I only own the PC version and find this interesting.

Just like it suddenly mattered again when the PRO got its version? please....

It matters because it's a point of comparison.. one of few atm.

Exactly this.

EvB

In the end, people just play the game and don't give a shit about some stupid dirt on her face.

I mean, do PS users even care atm about an "old" game? They have better games to wait for then go back and look at Lara again.

Too busy playing Uncharted Lost Legacy which looks way better than Tomb Raider anyway.

This thread was pretty nice with some good discussion until a bunch of weirdos turned up with their drivebys, to try and sour it.

What has happened, did PSN go down for maintenance and you suddenly needed something else to do?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Do you believe there are no improvements over Pro? LOL
No I think he means that the features they mentioned are improvement to the Xbox One version and people are taking as improvement over the Pro/PC version.

Frozone

For clarity, a 'dynamic texture' is not the same thing as an 'animated texture'. The latter is used for wear and tear (ala animated) and the illusion of motion while the other involves swapping to a completely different set of textures. Both are evaluated at runtime per frame but I'm pretty sure there is more overhead implementing the dynamic texture.

To be fair... wasn't the pro release generally when this game came out for the PS platform, making it a new release?

Sure. That doesn't really change anything though. How about all the coverage DF did on older PS4 games that got patched for PRO? Why shouldn't old games that get patched on X1X also get the same treatment? The only difference is that DF will likely be more interested in comparing the X1X to the PRO, and not so much the comparison between the X1 and the X1X. They know what the people want to see.

I mean, Digital Foundry pretty much made a new video every single time a patch was released for the PS4 versions of Rise of the Tomb Raider. This is no different, and is just as deserving of coverage. And again, more so imo because it's one of the only ways to compare the same game across both systems.

Everyone knew these comparisons were coming. Trying to make the excuse that certain comparisons don't matter because the games are "old" or "mediocre" is simply a lame way to deny the differences.

Head.spawn

Ok so here's what I see in the difference: they painted Lara's jacket a slightly darker brown and added a few more white dots in the air in the XboneX version. That's how this shows up on my iPhone screen and I'm pretty sure it's a 4K screen. So, by my deduction, the variances are minimal at best.

But look, you people seem all roused up by the variances here.

Who's to say that these "erection-worthy" variances aren't due to the CPU of the PS4 just having a bad day? Sometimes my PC chugs along and sometimes it doesn't when I load up excel. Consoles work the same way.

I think there's a lot more subtle variances at work here that we all need to be cognizant of before we allow ourselves to be engorged by teasing out pixels.

This guy is good.

Goalus

This thread was pretty nice with some good discussion until a bunch of weirdos turned up with their drivebys, to try and sour it.

What has happened, did PSN go down for maintenance and you suddenly needed something else to do?

He said he was busy "playing" Uncharted LL. Since playing an Uncharted game is more like watching a sequence of cut-scenes with a few QTEs in between, I'd say it is indeed possible he got bored and needed something else to do.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
He said he was busy "playing" Uncharted LL. Since playing an Uncharted game is more like watching a sequence of cut-scenes with a few QTEs in between, I'd say it is indeed possible he got bored and needed something else to do.
Not many cutscenes actually and there's an open-world aspect to it too

EvB

Come on, we don’t need to drop to his level

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Do we really need this nonsense? I mean seriously? People talk about crapping up threads and it's posts like these.

KageMaru

Man these threads bring out the worst. There is no reason to bring up and especially Troll LL in this thread.

Harlequin

LZgoJpt.jpg

I think this points to the Version that has been shown/screenshotted by the publisher being the 4K native version actually having some effects scaled down/turned off.

That's just mud/dirt decals being more visible on the clothes in the X1X screen. Same explanation as the face texture differences.

Head.spawn

I thought this was blatantly obvious... they aren't releasing a versus video for their on game, it is a highlight reel for the Xbox One X update. It was never meant to be anything more than that.

Harlequin

But there is less on the Xbox One X. Why is her face dirtier , but her clothes cleaner?

No, there is more. You see that light brown/sand-coloured stuff with the cracks in it (it's lighter than the jacket itself)? That's the dirt texture. It's present in the screens of the other versions too just way more transparent.

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure that that's a jacket made of fabric, not leather. That's probably what caused your confusion - you thought the cracked mud was a leather texture.

Top Bottom