• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

EvB

No, there is more. You see that light brown/sand-coloured stuff with the cracks in it (it's lighter than the jacket itself)? That's the dirt texture. It's present in the screens of the other versions too just way more transparent.

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure that that's a jacket made of fabric, not leather. That's probably what caused your confusion - you thought the cracked mud was a leather texture.

Ah yes, I can see it's not leather now, more of a canvas material that is very dirty.

It's the white details that are most prominent on the shoulder area and on the edges of all folds which I are referring to.
Having a look around online , whenever I see her with a clean face she has a very new looking jacket, so what you says makes a lot of sense.

Too busy playing Uncharted Lost Legacy which looks way better than Tomb Raider anyway.

Well first of all, why mention this at all? How does it contribute anything to this here?

But since you mentioned it, shit man I'd sure hope a game that released last week looks way better than a game released two years ago. That being said, to this day Risen of the Tomb Raider still looks pretty damn good.

ethomaz

Banned
You really think some textures wont be improved?
I would think with the updated gear a few things do get improved. Theres a video that lists them i think.
I believe it will but not in this comparison, no?

I was blaming SE to not give PC the same "updates" (same happened with first game) but looks low there is no update compared with PC.

Hawk269

This thread was pretty nice with some good discussion until a bunch of weirdos turned up with their drivebys, to try and sour it.

What has happened, did PSN go down for maintenance and you suddenly needed something else to do?
lmao at the last part. Am in a restraunt and broke out laughing. Wife is looking at me weird now.

MaulerX

I believe it will but not in this comparison, no?

I was blaming SE to not give PC the same "updates" (same happened with first game) but looks low there is no update compared with PC.

Well apparently we should be blaming DF for their apparent fuck up? That's some bizarro uncharted world we've entered here.

I mean no doubt the X version will be the better version but it seems like rushing into these comparisons is not the way to go.

At least that's what I got from the last few pages.

Head.spawn

So no texture improvement? Besides the resolution what is improved?

Textures are improved to Very High. Look at her left shoulder, clear as day.

Xbox One
PS4 Pro
PC - High
PC - Very High
Xbox One X

Keep in mind the Xbox One X shot here is screenshot snatched via youtube, the rest are direct capture.

Unless my eyeballs are fucked, Xbox One X looks to be a match for Very High, which is the highest setting. PS4 Pro and Xbox One both look to be High settings.

EvB

I'm pretty sure that there are texture improvements over the PS4 version, just not over the PC version.

The textures from the screenshots look like they are the same as the PC version in this mode. However I think we should probably wait to see actual gameplay footage, as Cutscenes have usually been profiled and maxed out anyway.

Here is a crop of a cutscene with Lara’s face very close to camera.

PC and Xbox look pretty similar
YIooCji.jpg

The textures from the screenshots look like they are the same as the PC version in this mode. However I think we should probably wait to see actual gameplay footage, as Cutscenes have usually been profiled and maxed out anyway.

Here is a crop of a cutscene with Lara's face very close to camera.

YIooCji.jpg
Like others, this comparison definitely shows less robust AA on One X. Instead of the texture, look at the polygonal edges in the hair area. Even against the PC version which is identical resolution, One X edges are much more aliased. This is consonant with the promotional claim that the image is "sharper" (though I wouldn't necessarily call that "improved" like the video does).

The Digital Foundry Youtube video actually seems to show One X not just with less AA, but the exact opposite: a sharpening filter. Notice the black ringing on the edge of the altar in this zoom:

altarzoomeluhb.png

There's no way to really be certain where this was introduced, whether coming out of the console, in the original video capture, during DF editing and rendering, or by Youtube (though it doesn't appear in the PC footage, so that last choice seems less likely). But it does mean analysis based on that footage isn't straightforward.

JaggedSac

Here is a crop of a cutscene with Lara’s face very close to camera.

YIooCji.jpg

I know what it is, in the Pro version Lara used Baby Foot on her head.

seph1roth

A bit late to the discussion but...is XBX running this game on highest PC settings at 4K resolution?

If this is true, we're comparing a 1500$ machine vs a 500$ console, that would be nuts!

seph1roth

You don't need a 1500$ machine to do this. xP

True, but even a gtx1080 struggles with this game at 4K max settings, it's amazing that a 500$ console accomplishes the same results as a high end pc...or even better in this case.

I'm bot a fan of the performance of the game on pc IMO.

A bit late to the discussion but...is XBX running this game on highest PC settings at 4K resolution?

If this is true, we're comparing a 1500$ machine vs a 500$ console, that would be nuts!

No it's not. It's missing effects such as depth of field, tesselation on many objects, HBAO+ and most likely very high quality specular lighting since it's such power hungry setting. Still, the XoX patch is currently in Alpha so anything is possible until the release date.

the end result will most likely be a mix of settings between the PS4 Pro and the PC at very high settings while running at 4K30 instead of 4Kcbr30.

True, but even a gtx1080 struggles with this game at 4K max settings, it's amazing that a 500$ console accomplishes the same results as a high end pc...or even better in this case.

The performance you're getting out of a 500 dollar machine is indeed impressive. :eek:

gogogow

That's because the XBX version has been optimised specifically for the hw and on the PC you are using the raw power of the GPU to push things as far as you can. But yeah, it's pretty cool that you can get this performance and graphical upgrades for $500. That is amazing value for people who want to play games at 4K and don't want to touch a PC with a ten-foot pole.

The One X does not achieve results as good as a high-end PC in this case, much less better.

Those are not improved textures, as explained earlier in the thread. Those are differences in damage decals. (The One X does have some improved textures, but they're not shown in that shot.)

TheYanger

Like others, this comparison definitely shows less robust AA on One X. Instead of the texture, look at the polygonal edges in the hair area. Even against the PC version which is identical resolution, One X edges are much more aliased. This is consonant with the promotional claim that the image is "sharper" (though I wouldn't necessarily call that "improved" like the video does).

The Digital Foundry Youtube video actually seems to show One X not just with less AA, but the exact opposite: a sharpening filter. Notice the black ringing on the edge of the altar in this zoom:

altarzoomeluhb.png

There's no way to really be certain where this was introduced, whether coming out of the console, in the original video capture, during DF editing and rendering, or by Youtube (though it doesn't appear in the PC footage, so that last choice seems less likely). But it does mean analysis based on that footage isn't straightforward.

That's not what it shows. The texture for the blood is definitely (slightly) highre resolution than that PC ultra to its far right. It's not DoF or AA causing that man, it's literally a flat texture on the front of her face. The PS4 shot is blurry because of checkerboarding, not because of some fancy AA. The texture is lower resolution, and zoomed in that close it looks like film grain due to the CB. The PC version has better AA, obviously. Texture still lower on PC ultra though, which is nuts.

If the picture in the middle with the pro shot is causing you to have issues, I've made a handy crop showing exactly hwat I'm talking about. Left is the Xbox, right is the PC.
Gd6dmyQ.png

That is 100% texture resolution fam.

That's not what it shows. The texture for the blood is definitely (slightly) highre resolution than that PC ultra to its far right. It's not DoF or AA causing that man, it's literally a flat texture on the front of her face.
Read through the thread. It was shown that PC's default AA method is FXAA, a post-process technique that can soften large areas of the image and not just edges. Someone posted a 4K PC shot with it turned off, and the overall image was much sharper.

So I pointed out that in this comparison, One X is not using this same AA technique. You can tell this difference obviously by the polygonal edge quality versus PC. But that means not just the edges but the flat textures on PC are also liable to be blurred too, in a manner which they are not on One X.

TheYanger

Read through the thread. It was shown that PC's default AA method is FXAA, a post-process technique that can soften large areas of the image and not just edges. Someone posted a 4K PC shot with it turned off, and the overall image was much sharper.

So I pointed out that in this comparison, One X is not using this same AA technique. You can tell this difference obviously by the polygonal edge quality versus PC. But that means not just the edges but the flat textures on PC are also liable to be blurred too, in a manner which they are not on One X.

I read the whole thread, there still hasn't been a screen posted that showed equal texture resolution. You're trying to take 'the AA blurs the image' and use it to try and shut down the possibility that the textures are higher resolution, which is something that has shown to be the case in basically every comparison in here.

Not trying to be snobby or anything and this is an honest question because I would really like to know/learn more. Could someone please explain to me why we are still using this terrible quality comparison as seen below,

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-10l1s94.jpg

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1083sl3.jpg

I resized to 1080p in photoshop.

Instead of this one?

Some full-res screen caps:
vlcsnap-2017-08-26-16chuxc.png

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1661o7z.png

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1698uts.png

Which is full res.

I mean, usually I don't care but we are in a technical comparison thread and one is .jpg and one is .png and everyone keeps reposting the resized .jpg which hides a lot of detail.

Maybe it would help if Colbert put the .png's on the front page.

onQ123

That's not what it shows. The texture for the blood is definitely (slightly) highre resolution than that PC ultra to its far right. It's not DoF or AA causing that man, it's literally a flat texture on the front of her face. The PS4 shot is blurry because of checkerboarding, not because of some fancy AA. The texture is lower resolution, and zoomed in that close it looks like film grain due to the CB. The PC version has better AA, obviously. Texture still lower on PC ultra though, which is nuts.

If the picture in the middle with the pro shot is causing you to have issues, I've made a handy crop showing exactly hwat I'm talking about. Left is the Xbox, right is the PC.
Gd6dmyQ.png

Xbox One X shot lacks atmosphere the PC shot looks more like what you see in real life.

Some full-res screen caps:
vlcsnap-2017-08-26-16chuxc.png

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1661o7z.png

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1698uts.png

PS4 Pro version looks blurrier than I remember. Definitely a nice upgrade on the One X, especially the texture upgrades. Those really make good use of the higher resolution. I do hope they add DoF back in though.

Wow difference is huge. Ps4 pro is just not good enough for this kind of high quality graphics.

JaggedSac

Instead of this one?

Which is full res.

I mean, usually I don't care but we are in a technical comparison thread and one is .jpg and one is .png and everyone keeps reposting the resized .jpg which hides a lot of detail.

Where did these come from? I see macroblocking in the Xbox One X shots.

Where did these come from? I see macroblocking in the Xbox One X shots.

I mean, I quoted the person that posted them... So don't ask me lol. I assume that he downloaded a high bitrate vid or the source from youtube or something. I don't know. All I know is .jpg vs .png and the .jpg was downscaled in photoshop...

What is macroblocking?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Wow difference is huge. Ps4 pro is just not good enough for this kind of high quality graphics.

Not that we need to go over this again, but the Pro has already pumped out games that look better than Rise of the Tomb Raider. You could have stuck by "difference is huge" and been done with it.

JaggedSac

I mean, I quoted the person that posted them... So don't ask me lol. I assume that he downloaded a high bitrate vid or the source from youtube or something. I don't know. All I know is .jpg vs .png and the .jpg was downscaled in photoshop...

What is macroblocking?

Macroblocking is seen in compressed images where chunks of pixels are turned into a single color. Shouldn't exist in a png. You can see it in the background of the images.

Macroblocking is seen in compressed images where chunks of pixels are turned into a single color. Shouldn't exist in a png. You can see it in the background of the images.

Sorry to ask but... could you circle for me?

EDIT: NVM I see what you mean in the second and third comparison shot of the X. It's only in that one though. Weird that it only shows up in those ones.

I can't imagine the poster would have done something to that one and not the others on purpose. I don't even know why you would considering it tarnishes the quality. Perhaps it has more to do with the source material from DF than anything?

Gd6dmyQ.png

The actual cuts look better more realistically on the left picture.

Not trying to be snobby or anything and this is an honest question because I would really like to know/learn more. Could someone please explain to me why we are still using this terrible quality comparison as seen below,

Instead of this one?

Which is full res.

It's not terrible...I resized it from the 4k high bitrate video to 1080p to alleviate the compression artifacts. Changing .png video screencap to .jpeg %100 quality in photoshop yields absolutely no difference. I could edit with the original 4k screencap if you guys want.

It's not terrible...I resized it from the 4k high bitrate video to 1080p to alleviate the compression artifacts. Changing .png video screencap to .jpeg %100 quality in photoshop yields absolutely no difference. I could edit with the original 4k screencap if you guys want.

I don't know about any of that.

I just meant that there is clearly loss in quality when comparing the two even just on my 3440x1440 screen...

And I mean, this is a 4k comparison that people are going to get the most out of on higher resolution screens in the first place.

I was just thinking that in a technical thread it's probably better to be as precise to the original content as possible.

I wasn't coming at you, just annoyed that people kept reposting it and saying that they can barely see any difference when the difference is very clear in those .png's I posted and not so much in the .jpg's

Top Bottom