• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

Formosa

Man who cares??? It's just a game that gets a slight makeover. At the end the graphics will be PC > PRO=XBoxX for every other games

They made a video of the changes, everything seems to be accurate from what they said so far (footage is Alpha code apparently). I don't believe they said anything is above PC, outside Dolby At
It's not as clear as it could be, though. For example, the video says "Higher framerate - smoothest possible gameplay" and "Native 4K - highest gameplay resolution". But surely there are PCs out there that can run the game at higher framerates and/or resolution than One X. So those would be false claims...but that's not what they are. These aren't comparisons with PC, or even other console versions--they're comparisons with itself. You can choose either smoothest possible gameplay or highest gameplay resolution. You can't get them both at the same time...though the trailer seems purposely couched to imply you do. The same holds true for things like "enhanced geometric structures" as well; tessellation apparently isn't available in either the high-res or high-framerate modes, just the high-fidelity one.

So did DF not have textures maxed on their test?
Or are the C9/XB1X results achieved simply through disabling Post Effects?
Digital Foundry have said that PC settings were all maxed out on their capture. The difference in overall image quality is entirely due to effects.

As you say, PS4 Pro is definitely softer. But it's impossible to tell how much of that is due to High textures instead of Very High, how much is due to CBR, and how much is due to the effects issues. Given the gap between chromatic9's capture and Digital Foundry's, that last factor seems to be pretty major. But of course we can't say for sure since there's no way to tweak settings on Pro.

Man who cares??? It's just a game that gets a slight makeover. At the end the graphics will be PC > PRO=XBoxX for every other games
That's not accurate. The results will usually be PC>One X>Pro. (Or if you want to be precisely accurate, PC>One X>PC>Pro>PC, depending on the PC configuration.)

KageMaru

Neither does One X across the board. Comparisons were posted earlier in the thread. In at least some cases, Pro appears to be using PC High textures, and One X is using Very High. Here's a zoom to show that:

facecompareaor30.png

It may not be caused by DOF, but it is absolutely the case that Digital Foundry's original comparison showed blur on the PC shots that is due to settings. We had confirmation of it before, but chromatic9's comparison above makes it 100% certain. Given that, the blurriness of the Pro shots can also be assumed to be exaggerated by AA, or DOF, or whatever was blurring the PC shots. Of course, on Pro you can't turn off individual graphical effects. So unless there's a patch to alter how it renders, this really is how Pro will compare to One X.

However, beyond this specific title some of the generalizations stated in the thread have been severely undercut. The conclusion that some games on One X will look as good as on high-end PCs is extremely unlikely to be true. The idea that checkerboard rendering is the source of large amounts of blurring is similarly not justified by what we've seen (as most of the blur is coming from somewhere else). And so on.

There are no ultra textures in TR, very high is the max setting and it looks like the 1X matches that so far from what I've seen.

I agree that the talk of CBR adding large amounts of blur is crazy talk. In reality we're probably looking at a very high and high settings for the 1X and Pro respectively.

Disagree with a fanboy = mental breakdown.
Lmao.

You act like thelastword doesn't have an agenda here.

It should be PC>1X>Pro.

Had a look through my saves and found the location easily.

DT2c.png

My settings are Highest texture setting, SMAA, motion blur off, dof off, lens flare off, film grain off, vignette blur off.

Direct png of my screenshot
http://abload.de/img/2017-08-2802_trpc63uf1.png

DF's PC image seems quite blurry but I went straight in with these settings, just turned off most of the post stuff it's a match in clarity. PC has tessellation, hbao+, higher stone textures.

Edit: campsite save file is right next to this scene if anyone wanted some other settings tried but this XBX version is not even released and really not worth overanalyzing. I was just curious how/why blurry the DF PC shot was as I've played and snapped this game in 4k last year plenty of times.

That seals the deal. Good work!

So based on what settings the 1X seems to use / not use, I don't suppose there is anyone with a mid-range 1060 / 480 (580) that may be able to test if that level of performance (4k 30 fps) can be attained by a GPU that isn't quite high-end?

AMD's RX 580 seems like a good match since it's 6.1 TF compared to XB1X's 6TF. It seems to be able to hit 28 fps on Ultra settings at native 4K so I believe it won't have an issue hitting 30 fps on whatever settings XB1X uses.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-rx-580-gaming-x-review,11.html

Duderino

There are no ultra textures in TR, very high is the max setting and it looks like the 1X matches that so far from what I've seen.

Pardon my niavety with PC setting conventions these days, but what exactly constitutes an "ultra" texture? Is it a quantifiable resolution, or a "turn it up to 11" Spinal Tap style monkier?

I agree that the talk of CBR adding large amounts of blur is crazy talk. In reality we're probably looking at a very high and high settings for the 1X and Pro respectively.

You act like thelastword doesn't have an agenda here.

It should be PC>1X>Pro.

Because Lilianas post was oh so relevant and totally not a shitpost right ?
Having a different opinion isnt an agenda. Unless their agenda is a different agenda than your own right ?

Head.spawn

It's not as clear as it could be, though. For example, the video says "Higher framerate - smoothest possible gameplay" and "Native 4K - highest gameplay resolution". But surely there are PCs out there that can run the game at higher framerates and/or resolution than One X. So those would be false claims...but that's not what they are. These aren't comparisons with PC, or even other console versions--they're comparisons with itself. You can choose either smoothest possible gameplay or highest gameplay resolution. You can't get them both at the same time...though the trailer seems purposely couched to imply you do. The same holds true for things like "enhanced geometric structures" as well; tessellation apparently isn't available in either the high-res or high-framerate modes, just the high-fidelity one.

It guess it would be in comparison to consoles (including XBO) & in like-for-like modes.

Impossible to ever compare to PC, I mean I can run the game at 8k if I want with shit for framerate or at 480p at a refresh rate higher than any monitor I can buy.

GHG

Gold Member

DT2c.png

My settings are Highest texture setting, SMAA, motion blur off, dof off, lens flare off, film grain off, vignette blur off.

DF's PC image seems quite blurry but I went straight in with these settings, just turned off most of the post stuff it's a match in clarity. PC has tessellation, hbao+, higher stone textures.

Edit: campsite save file is right next to this scene if anyone wanted some other settings tried but this XBX version is not even released and really not worth overanalyzing. I was just curious how/why blurry the DF PC shot was as I've played and snapped this game in 4k last year plenty of times.

This is what I was looking for when I was asking earlier in this thread. Thank you.

If you posted that blurry PC screenshot that DF have in the GAF PC screenshot thread you would get told something is up with your settings.

Gotta get Xbox One X to look bad here.

Oh deary me...

DT2c.png

Great comparison! My only issue is the level of detail really seems to rely on the blacks here, which can make the XBX version look tamed down compare to PC. What TV at what color/brightness/contrast level were the XBX pics taken on??? This is really the only difference i see, as if you focus on the background of the PC and XBX pics here, you can clearly see the blacks are darker in the PC pics, which obviously helps the PC version show more detail in its darker textures.

ISee

You clearly don't understand, rottr is the most important game out there. What's even more important is the fact that a console with a 6 tflops amd gpu is able to run the game just like a PC with a 6 tflops amd gpu (rx 480/580) at 4k.
But wait, you haven't even heard the best and most surprising part: Are you ready? I hope so, because here it come: The 6 tflops amd gpu based console is better at running the game then it's rival, the 4.2 tflops amd gpu based console.

tim-and-eric-mind-bloo6qii.gif

We'll get the same drama once the FF15 one X patch arrives and FF15 will be the most important game out there. It's always the same and it's always very entertaining.

edit: By the way, rise of the tomb raider is actually a fun and very good game (with some flaws and a mediocre story). But nobody seems to care about that anymore. I can only recommend using the 60 fps mode on one X instead of the 4k/30 mode.

KingBroly

Banned

DT2c.png

Good to know.

belmonkey

AMD's RX 580 seems like a good match since it's 6.1 TF compared to XB1X's 6TF. It seems to be able to hit 28 fps on Ultra settings at native 4K so I believe it won't have an issue hitting 30 fps on whatever settings XB1X uses.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-rx-580-gaming-x-review,11.html

That's pretty interesting. Dunno how much performance turning off HBAO+ would save, but maybe turning a few settings down towards 1X settings would get a locked 4k 30.

Vroadstar

You clearly don't understand, rottr is the most important game out there. What's even more important is the fact that a console with a 6 tflops amd gpu is able to run the game just like a PC with a 6 tflops amd gpu (rx 480/580) at 4k.
But wait, you haven't even heard the best and most surprising part: Are you ready? I hope so, because here it come: The 6 tflops amd gpu based console is better at running the game then it's rival, the 4.2 tflops amd gpu based console.

tim-and-eric-mind-bloo6qii.gif

We'll get the same drama once the FF15 one X patch arrives and FF15 will be the most important game out there. It's always the same and it's always very entertaining.

edit: By the way, rise of the tomb raider is actually a fun and very good game (with some flaws and a mediocre story). But nobody seems to care about that anymore. I can only recommend using the 60 fps mode on one X instead of the 4k/30 mode.

So true, but it's understandable, it's been years and all those repressed insecurities are coming out of the woodwork because of this most important game.

Reading thru the comments of super obvious fans of the the other console, one would think
it's a generation leap for this most important game, just look at the first post.

Fukuzatsu

Shouldn't be super surprising that the XBOX runs better than the PS4P in cases where patches exist for both--PS4P is both older and cheaper.

The question for me is, how many 3D games with Pro patches don't also get X patches.

ffvorax

So again DF doing bad comparison and people doing CW about it...

And all for a mediocre game that got too many releases...

lol

It was clear from the first post that there was something fishy about the PC version blurryness...

Freeman76

As a non 4k owner, the difference isnt as big as I expected, which is good as I dont want to be tempted to pay £450 for this lol.

PS: Eurogamer getting PAID

The lesson learned in this thread...

As time goes on, the XBX is gonna be compared to PC more so then Pro, which leads me to feel even better about my Bonner X PreOrder.

It's only a matter of time until devs figure out how to max-out this beast, and i will say im lookin forward to the ride!!!

poodaddy

Pardon my niavety with PC setting conventions these days, but what exactly constitutes an "ultra" texture? Is it a quantifiable resolution, or a "turn it up to 11" Spinal Tap style monkier?

It's turn it up to 11. Not a quantifiable setting at all, one game's high is another's ultra. Just marketing and Buzz words, you know how it goes.

I have been saying for a long time now that video is a poor way to see the difference in these things, I wish DF would figure that out again and go back to screen shots, zooms and what not to show you what the actual difference is again, I can't tell a difference in videos most of the time, it isn't like these things are going to look that different unless you run the videos on large screens in very high quality videos, something screens shots take care of for everyone online very fast and easily. I mean I get it, YT is the money show and how it goes but it just doesn't work like screens simply do

le.phat

Higher res and textures are to be expected, right? The console is more beefy then The pro after all. The thing costs at least 100 dollars more then the pro.

It's a great upgrade for gamers that jump from the vanilla one to the one X. From pro to one X? You will be hard-pressed to justify the extra costs.

So true, but it's understandable, it's been years and all those repressed insecurities are coming out of the woodwork because of this most important game.

Reading thru the comments of super obvious fans of the the other console, one would think
it's a generation leap for this most important game, just look at the first post.

Stop fuelling console wars. Your post history seems to show you like pointing out defenders of a plastic box console brand you don't obviously like.

Ascenion

Higher res and textures are to be expected, right? The console is more beefy then The pro after all. The thing costs at least 100 dollars more then the pro.

It's a great upgrade for gamers that jump from the vanilla one to the one X. From pro to one X? You will be hard-pressed to justify the extra costs.

They can co-exist. I'm personally shifting my Pro to an exclusive machine and my One X to the 4K multiplat media machine. If you've got a 4K home theater set up the One X is a no-brainer especially with the UHD drive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

lol

It was clear from the first post that there was something fishy about the PC version blurryness...
Something fishy? Good lord.

Rich took the PC shot using the maximum settings and we noted that depth of field was absent on Xbox. What more do you want? This is not a definitive comparison. It's just a first stab at it based on super limited XOX assets.

I have been saying for a long time now that video is a poor way to see the difference in these things, I wish DF would figure that out again and go back to screen shots, zooms and what not to show you what the actual difference is again, I can't tell a difference in videos most of the time, it isn't like these things are going to look that different unless you run the videos on large screens in very high quality videos, something screens shots take care of for everyone online very fast and easily. I mean I get it, YT is the money show and how it goes but it just doesn't work like screens simply do
And this doesn't make any sense in this context. We made it clear that the ONLY thing available for this first 'preview' comparison were shots provided by SE and that compressed trailer. There are screenshots provided but there isn't much more that can be done in this context since we were relying on a compressed trailer.

Basically - people need to stop jumping to conclusions and settle down. This is a first stab at a comparison using what was available - it's not the final word on anything. Be patient.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

And yet, in practice, it's the differences in appearance in motion that are important - not screenshots.

Rich took the PC shot using the maximum settings and we noted that depth of field was absent on Xbox. What more do you want? This is not a definitive comparison. It's just a first stab at it based on super limited XOX assets.

The real take away from this thread is that Post Effects implementation is hurting IQ/detail on this game, in unexpected ways. At least PC users can disable them if they haven't already.

dark10x

The real take away from this thread is that Post Effects implementation is hurting IQ/detail on this game, in unexpected ways. At least PC users can disable them if they haven't already.
You view that as "hurting" the game? I sure don't. It's an intentional look and I prefer it. Hopefully the blur is added back to Xbox One X.

Here, have some additional 2160p images of Rise of the Tomb Raider on Pro. Had to resort to JPGs again - does anyone know a good image host that will handle massive ~20mb+ images?

As I said last year, the checkerboard solution works very well and, when you stand completely still, you get a full 2160p pixel count that is razor sharp. That's what you get in this shot and it basically looks like a native 4K image.

001axku6i.jpg

This second image is also still but there is just a tiny bit of motion due to bobbing while aiming that brings out the issues with CB.

003axnus8.jpg

This last one shows the limitation of checkerboard with fast motion and quick cuts (which, thankfully, isn't usually a big deal)

002akdu4c.jpg

FLAguy954

DT2c.png

Thanks for this.

DF's PC shot looked way too blurry for my tastes.

big_z

don't let threads like this get to you. digital foundry was built upon the bodies of console warriors fighting over specs early this gen and now that the tides of power are shifting meltdowns are happening. expect a lot of salty people clawing at any small detail to try and justify their console/purchase(this goes for both sides) but ignore that trash and focus on better stuff like DF retro.

And this doesn't make any sense in this context. We made it clear that the ONLY thing available for this first 'preview' comparison were shots provided by SE and that compressed trailer. There are screenshots provided but there isn't much more that can be done in this context since we were relying on a compressed trailer.

Basically - people need to stop jumping to conclusions and settle down. This is a first stab at a comparison using what was available - it's not the final word on anything. Be patient.
Typically comparisons are made with video first in mind. I would love a greater emphasis on screens and detailee information there since that makes it very clear. I wasn't talking directly about this comparison only also know there has been some articles up as well. I'd rather skip videos and just get to the article myself.

And yet, in practice, it's the differences in appearance in motion that are important - not screenshots.
90 percent of users are watching on yt in a small box, me as well. Just not going to bother to download a video and watch it when screens can easily do that. Users already make screen caps of the video to show this, I think the need for screens is more than obvious.

I understand it's my fault for not downloading a video and watching it at a better quality but I just don't want to do that. I guess just knowing which one is better is good enough to me, I'd rather see the game as im playing it though. Screens is just a good, easy and clear way to see the difference

dark10x

Typically comparisons are made with video first in mind. I would love a greater emphasis on screens and detailee information there since that makes it very clear. I wasn't talking directly about this comparison only also know there has been some articles up as well. I'd rather skip videos and just get to the article myself.
I know what you mean, but unfortunately, we're just too small. We still typically provide shots, though.

You view that as "hurting" the game? I sure don't. It's an intentional look and I prefer it. Hopefully the blur is added back to Xbox One X.

Going by this image, where texture detail is almost completely lost, I'd say yes.

I'm not saying it looks bad. But detail has been lost. And not in a manner that makes sense to be attributed to DOF or Motion Blur, or anything else, when all the other details resolves so sharply.

I'm impressed that the system warrior arguments are still rumbling on this much.

My main take away from this is that Nixxies are still one hell of a studio, and I hope they use what they've learnt from porting to XOX, to further patch and improve other platform's versions.

FLAguy954

lol

Way to contribute to the pile of shitposts in this thread.

Top Bottom