• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Going by this image, where texture detail is almost completely lost, I'd say yes.

I'm not saying it looks bad. But detail has been lost. And not in a manner that makes sense to be attributed to DOF or Motion Blur, or anything else, when all the other details resolves so sharply.
Yes, but it's not really about that is it? You will still perceive enough detail during gameplay. The appearance of the game IN MOTION is what is most important, in the end, and post-processing adds greatly to that. Stripping out depth of field and motion blur is not a good thing. I'm way into motion blur and post effects, though.

The Xbox One X version we played had motion blur in full, though, but depth of field was modified. Not sure why but that's the current state. I expect that will change by release.

Also, why is everyone focusing on the face? We know that's a dynamic element. I think the jacket textures are far more interesting.

In the end, I'm sure the Xbox One X version will be using the PC's highest quality texture option which makes perfect sense as it has the available memory for it. There's nothing mysterious about it.

We also know that enriched mode enables things like tessellation which are absent in the native 4K mode.

cyen

Yes, but it's not really about that is it? You will still perceive enough detail during gameplay. The appearance of the game IN MOTION is what is most important, in the end, and post-processing adds greatly to that. Stripping out depth of field and motion blur is not a good thing. I'm way into motion blur and post effects, though.

The Xbox One X version we played had motion blur in full, though, but depth of field was modified. Not sure why but that's the current state. I expect that will change by release.

Also, why is everyone focusing on the face? We know that's a dynamic element. I think the jacket textures are far more interesting.

In the end, I'm sure the Xbox One X version will be using the PC's highest quality texture option which makes perfect sense as it has the available memory for it. There's nothing mysterious about it.

We also know that enriched mode enables things like tessellation which are absent in the native 4K mode.

People are missing that this is a preview face off not a detailed one with the final code. Unfortunately you better be prepared when the real face offs begin.. People will call you biased (from both camps), and will try to find flaws in your comparations, system wars are serious business.

Either way, its natural that the XOX version is superior to the Pro version, we are talking about 2 more TF, more 100 GB/s bandwitch and more 4 GB of RAM, people expecting parity will be disapointed.

You view that as "hurting" the game? I sure don't. It's an intentional look and I prefer it. Hopefully the blur is added back to Xbox One X.

Here, have some additional 2160p images of Rise of the Tomb Raider on Pro. Had to resort to JPGs again - does anyone know a good image host that will handle massive ~20mb+ images?

As I said last year, the checkerboard solution works very well and, when you stand completely still, you get a full 2160p pixel count that is razor sharp. That's what you get in this shot and it basically looks like a native 4K image.

001axku6i.jpg

This second image is also still but there is just a tiny bit of motion due to bobbing while aiming that brings out the issues with CB.

003axnus8.jpg

This last one shows the limitation of checkerboard with fast motion and quick cuts (which, thankfully, isn't usually a big deal)

002akdu4c.jpg

That looks damn good to me and such an improvement over how I played it on Xbox One. It seems I'm in for a treat when X comes out.
By the way probably a stupid question but what does tesselation exactly mean for this game?

It's definitely going to be interesting to find out if I can see the difference between native and C4K, because if not I'll go for enriched mode for sure.

ISee

I'm impressed that the system warrior arguments are still rumbling on this much.

My main take away from this is that Nixxies are still one hell of a studio, and I hope they use what they've learnt from porting to XOX, to further patch and improve other platform's versions.

Nixxes does a good job on any platform. I've played through the first TR reboot game on PS4 and through rottr and deus ex:md on PC. TR1 had a variable framerate but it was a huge step up from the initial console. Deus Ex:MD scales very well on PC, but it has a bad reputation because of two reasons. 1. A very good, but blurry TAA solution paired with a very aggressive post sharpening filter. This lead to most people complaining about the IQ and to use MSAA, which of course destroyed performance. (I actually like TAA, without the shitty sgarpening filter)
2.An ingame benchmark run that is very demanding but also unrepresentative. The game never runs as bad as during the benchmark (not even close).
ROTTR runs smooth, scales very well and feels amazing at 60 fps.

In the end: they seem to do a very good job on every platform.

le.phat

They can co-exist. I'm personally shifting my Pro to an exclusive machine and my One X to the 4K multiplat media machine. If you've got a 4K home theater set up the One X is a no-brainer especially with the UHD drive.

Yeah of course there are enthusiasts that will see the return-on-investment as justified. Purists for everything.

What about the horrible input lag? Is the Xbox-360-version still the console version that is most fun to play?

Fixed completely.

Unbelievable really that CD never bothered with it. Then again, I also stumbled upon a bug that prevented me from 100%ing it. It was one of those side quests where you have to return to the group of guys in that cave and when I want to turn the quest in it just doesn't trigger it. This was never fixed.

I don't know about that. Developers have already known about Project Scorpio for twice as long as they did about Pro when its first enhanced games were shown. Ground-up One X games should indeed be better, but the current examples aren't really "early".

Just out of curiosity, where did you get this info?

Get ready cos it's only going to get worse. I hope you are ready for the Doom, FFXV, PC2, Witcher 3 and TF2 comparison threads?

dark10x

The jacket texture is also the same but with dynamic dirt textures added on-top, just like the face.
I'm talking about PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X (since those are the comparisons I did myself).

I've said it before - the XOX version is likely going to use the same textures as PC's highest settings which is a step up from PS4 Pro (which is consistent with the "high" setting).

And the texture difference on the table? Let me guess, that's also dirt.
lol. It's hilarious how some are trying so hard to fault the comparisons and prove DF wrong. Considering the fact that this video is based on alpha code it will be very interesting to see the final results indeed.

Harlequin

And the texture difference on the table? Let me guess, that's also dirt.

I'm not really seeing a difference between the table textures. The PC one looks a tiny tad softer but that's probably due to AA/DoF, as we've already established. (I am talking about the differences between X1X and PC, though. Just in case you thought I was talking about X1X/Pro.)

I'm talking about PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X (since those are the comparisons I did myself).

Ah, fair enough.

People are missing that this is a preview face off not a detailed one with the final code.

Um, no. That may be the thread title, but this premature, preview comparison has highlighted an issue impacting the PC version, and probably the PS4Pro version.

Yes, but it's not really about that is it? You will still perceive enough detail during gameplay. The appearance of the game IN MOTION is what is most important, in the end, and post-processing adds greatly to that. Stripping out depth of field and motion blur is not a good thing. I'm way into motion blur and post effects, though..

How much is enough detail? Looking at that face, it appears on XB1X to have blood as well as mud. The Post Effects version looks like her face has been scrubbed clean. Injured vs not-injured seems like an important detail to me.

I'm also a big fan of motion blur, but that's not really what we're talking about is it? After all, those eyes are not remotely blurry on the PC screen.

Now maybe looking at the entire frame, of the game in motion, maybe it's a net loss to disable DOF. But there's something wrong with the implementation. The fact it's been disabled/changed in this most recent release, could be indication that the developers are aware of it, and are addressing it.

But will other versions be patched? Probably not going by dev history.

dark10x

Um, no. That may be the thread title, but this premature, preview comparison has highlighted an issue impacting the PC version, and probably the PS4Pro version.

How much is enough detail? Looking at that face, it appears on XB1X to have blood as well as mud. The Post Effects version looks like her face has been scrubbed clean.

I'm also a big fan of motion blur, but that's not really what we're talking about is it? After all, those eyes are not remotely blurry on the PC screen.

Now maybe looking at the entire frame, of the game in motion, maybe it's a net loss to disable DOF. But there's something wrong with the implementation. The fact it's been disabled/changed in this most recent release, could be indication that the developers are aware of it, and are addressing it.

But will other versions be patched? Probably not going by dev history.
I'm still not sure I'd agree that it's an actual issue as it looks great in motion on PC. It's not detail that you're going to miss during the cut-scene. The added blur and depth of field is preferable for me and I'm positive it'll return in the final XOX version.

We'll just have to wait, though. This "preview" of sorts is really just that and I don't think we can derive too much just yet. It just gives an idea of what the developers are working on. We can at least deduce that Xbox One X is using the PC version's highest quality texture setting and supports native 4K rendering. There's a lot to glean from our impressions of playing the game but not enough for a super microscopic comparison just yet - not until we have the game in hand.

I've said it before - the XOX version is likely going to use the same textures as PC's highest settings which is a step up from PS4 Pro (which is consistent with the "high" setting).

Would you say we can probably expect that from other existing games like Witcher 3 and upcoming games as well?

Freeman76

Something fishy? Good lord.

Rich took the PC shot using the maximum settings and we noted that depth of field was absent on Xbox. What more do you want? This is not a definitive comparison. It's just a first stab at it based on super limited XOX assets.

And this doesn't make any sense in this context. We made it clear that the ONLY thing available for this first 'preview' comparison were shots provided by SE and that compressed trailer. There are screenshots provided but there isn't much more that can be done in this context since we were relying on a compressed trailer.

Basically - people need to stop jumping to conclusions and settle down. This is a first stab at a comparison using what was available - it's not the final word on anything. Be patient.

Working in this industry you should know better than this. Its a field where people argue over who has the best toy practically and paragraphs like your last one here will just add fuel to the fire. In threads like this, when have people ever settled down and been patient?

leeh

Working in this industry you should know better than this. Its a field where people argue over who has the best toy practically and paragraphs like your last one here will just add fuel to the fire. In threads like this, when have people ever settled down and been patient?
This thread has turned into a bit of a ruckus. What's the issue here?

Kayant

Differences are definitely interesting between Pro and XB1X. Also differences compared to even PC shows the quality of Nixxes as a studio.

Never seen much value in doing tech analysis on in dev games, especially if you are going to start comparing it to other versions. Just wait for final code and highest quality direct feed capture.

Kayant

Never seen much value in doing tech analysis on in dev games, especially if you are going to start comparing it to other versions. Just wait for final code and highest quality direct feed capture.
The value comes from comparing how things change during development. It's always good to have insight into how things progress during development.

ethomaz

Banned
Had a look through my saves and found the location easily.

DT2c.png

My settings are Highest texture setting, SMAA, motion blur off, dof off, lens flare off, film grain off, vignette blur off.

Direct png of my screenshot
http://abload.de/img/2017-08-2802_trpc63uf1.png

DF's PC image seems quite blurry but I went straight in with these settings, just turned off most of the post stuff it's a match in clarity. PC has tessellation, hbao+, higher stone textures.

Edit: campsite save file is right next to this scene if anyone wanted some other settings tried but this XBX version is not even released and really not worth overanalyzing. I was just curious how/why blurry the DF PC shot was as I've played and snapped this game in 4k last year plenty of times.
Well that ends the debate... it is using the same PC assets and not improved ones.

Malcolm9

It's looking good on the One X, but it's hardly a surprise with more powerful hardware, as well as being a game that MS specifically paid timed exclusivity for.

The majority of games will look better on the One X over the Pro, it's silly to think otherwise. It still won't entice me to buy one though as it's games overall that get me to invest in the hardware.

But what exactly is the other camp arguing about ?!

XOX>>>>>>>>>>>>PRO

How can you downplay the X at this point when you know what's under the hood..gm final codes not even out yet and it looks unreal in hdr 4k. I could just imagine its going to get nasty on Nov 7. Learn to deal with it, things will not get better magically on the weaker spec machine..and that's that.

The end.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
But what exactly is the other camp arguing about ?!

XOX>>>>>>>>>>>>PRO

How can you downplay the X at this point when you know what's under the hood..gm final codes not even out yet and it looks unreal in hdr 4k. I could just imagine its going to get nasty on Nov 7. Learn to deal with it, things will not get better magically on the weaker spec machine..and that's that.

The end.

I don't think most people who've questioned the images are having any issue "dealing with" the X1X being the better machine (particularly when plenty of us have better specced PCs and/or have preordered one). We were just trying to figure out why a game, many of us have already played, suddenly looked blurrier than we remember. In a tech thread, there's nothing wrong with that inquiry.

Mr Moose

29 pages? Damn.

It looks really nice (on all consoles really, but especially on the One X, very clean). I think I prefer it without DoF. Am I right in thinking they have done something with the lighting on the X version? (Or less light sources or something?).

KageMaru

Pardon my niavety with PC setting conventions these days, but what exactly constitutes an "ultra" texture? Is it a quantifiable resolution, or a "turn it up to 11" Spinal Tap style monkier?

You're not being naive, no worries. There is no standard for what would make an ultra texture. Some PC games have ultra as the highest preset while others have very high as the highest quality setting. The naming can be pointless at times as the resolution of a 'very high' texture in one game can be the same as an 'ultra' texture in another.

Because Lilianas post was oh so relevant and totally not a shitpost right ?
Having a different opinion isnt an agenda. Unless their agenda is a different agenda than your own right ?

He has gone from claiming DOF is cut for performance reasons (even though the port isn't finished), to there not being any difference, to certain implementations being better on the Pro like TI vs CBR.

There's a difference between having an opinion and trying your best to push points that are likely false.

I haven't had a chance to make a comparison but one spot that always stuck out at me for a good comparison is the leather seats in the jeep during the opening cut-scene in Syria. The cracks in the leather are a good way to pick out loss of detail.

Also don't let the comments get to you. You guys do great work.

Well that ends the debate... it is using the same PC assets and not improved ones.

I was really happy when this was figured out. Now we just need the improved AA and HDR to be ported to the PC and I'll be all set.

EvB

Is any other third party studio going to go this extra step? Seems like SE continues to have a love affair with Xbox.

Hopefully for lots of games it will make sense to go back and update them.
Patching using the latest SDK theoretically means the games should continue to work on all Xbox future long into the future.

It wouldn’t surprise me if MS have paid Nixxes bill on this one

Bluenoser

This title also got the best treatment on PSPro when it launched, so time will tell if other companies follow suit

True but didn't they use assets already existing in the PC version? For XoX it almost looks like they created entirely new assets specifically for this build. That's what I meant by going the extra step. Seems like a lot of work for a 2 year old game that they won't be selling more copies of (at least not enough to warrant the effort).

Bluenoser

Hopefully for lots of games it will make sense to go back and update them.
Patching using the latest SDK theoretically means the games should continue to work on all Xbox future long into the future.

It wouldn't surprise me if MS have paid Nixxes bill on this one

That's what I'm thinking. They need to have a flagship title to flaunt the power difference.
Edit - shit double post - my bad, meant to edit my other one.

This has been disproven now

Which part? PS4 pro used PC assets, or that XoX has had new assets created? Going through 1500 posts is not in my agenda for today :)

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Had a look through my saves and found the location easily.

DT2c.png

My settings are Highest texture setting, SMAA, motion blur off, dof off, lens flare off, film grain off, vignette blur off.

Direct png of my screenshot
http://abload.de/img/2017-08-2802_trpc63uf1.png

DF's PC image seems quite blurry but I went straight in with these settings, just turned off most of the post stuff it's a match in clarity. PC has tessellation, hbao+, higher stone textures.

Edit: campsite save file is right next to this scene if anyone wanted some other settings tried but this XBX version is not even released and really not worth overanalyzing. I was just curious how/why blurry the DF PC shot was as I've played and snapped this game in 4k last year plenty of times.

humm. my settings were near the same, except lens flare was on and SMAA off. wierd...

ODDI

That's what I'm thinking. They need to have a flagship title to flaunt the power difference.

Which part? PS4 pro used PC assets, or that XoX has had new assets created? Going through 1500 posts is not in my agenda for today :)

Nothing new was made, see the post above.

No new assets were created

thelastikilla

Neo Member
It's very curious, I have searched some PC Ultra RotTR gameplays and some show the One X textures and others the PC textures of the Digital Foundry comparison.

Textures like One X:

WqGlgPR.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8_yBGKRshw&t=4723s 1:18:34

Textures like PC of Digital Foundry screenshots:

sL0Lsb6.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig26rd7uW1o&t=222s 3:36

The first video of the playlist shows the settings and it's very high texture quality.

Both gameplays are January 30th, 2016. So, not a patch question.

Very strange. Dynamic hurt in the Lara face? Another setting that affect the texture quality? What's happening here?

Dlacy13g

I think the fact that we are at 29 pages in this thread of people debating/tweaking PC settings for the comparison to the Xbox One X's visual should speak volumes. This is a clear win for that box in that no Xbox One X owner will need to adjust any setting to get this kind of visual.

Head.spawn

It's very curious, I have searched some PC Ultra RotTR gameplays and some show the One X textures and others the PC textures of the Digital Foundry comparison.

Textures like One X:

WqGlgPR.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8_yBGKRshw&t=4723s 1:18:34

Textures like PC of Digital Foundry screenshots:

sL0Lsb6.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig26rd7uW1o&t=222s 3:36

The first video of the playlist shows the settings and it's very high texture quality.

Both gameplays are January 30th, 2016. So, not a patch question.

Very strange. Dynamic hurt in the Lara face? Another setting that affect the texture quality? What's happening here?

When I watched my wife playthrough, it seemed like sometimes there was blood, sometimes a little dirt, sometimes more dirt. And even that varied depending on the level/costume.. I could be wrong though. Whatever the case, I highly doubt they've created textures that aren't in the PC version and they haven't said they were doing that so I wouldn't expect it either.

For instance, right off the bat in the beginning of the game after the car wreck, as soon as you stand up, she's covered in blood with light dirt. By the time you get through the caves up to the part where there is the small water puzzle, she has gathered much more dirt/mud. Unless I was imaging it. I'll be giving the game a full run through sometime soon when I get my Project Scorpio Edition.

Space_nut

I think the fact that we are at 29 pages in this thread of people debating/tweaking PC settings for the comparison to the Xbox One X's visual should speak volumes. This is a clear win for that box in that no Xbox One X owner will need to adjust any setting to get this kind of visual.

Amen to that

Pro still looks ok using base console assets

Top Bottom