• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I think the fact that we are at 29 pages in this thread of people debating/tweaking PC settings for the comparison to the Xbox One X's visual should speak volumes. This is a clear win for that box in that no Xbox One X owner will need to adjust any setting to get this kind of visual.
This thread has more pages than some full game OT's which is really sad and kind of tells you something.

belvedere

Junior Butler
This thread has more pages than some full game OT's which is really sad and kind of tells you something.

There's a legitimate debate when both PC and PS4 players are pointing out and corroborating (unintentionally) misleading comparison screenshots.

November will be interesting, regardless.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get this info?
From publicly available reports. The first rumors about Neo (PS4 Pro) surfaced last March at GDC. Kotaku reported then that Sony had recently started briefing developers. So it seems Pro was first discussed with devs about 9 months before release. Patrick Klepek reported that final devkits were sent out about 2 months before launch.

Scorpio (Xbox One X) was revealed to the general public in early June last year. Since there was already an internal render that was very accurate, and since the specs given closely match the final device, design was clearly finalized at that time. It's likely at least some devs had already been briefed, but if not Phil Spencer specifically said the early reveal was to make sure developers could start planning. So it seems Pro was first discussed with devs about 18 months before release. I believe it was reported that final devkits were sent out January or February of this year (about 9 months before launch), but I don't recall the exact source so this may be inaccurate.

Fredrik

I think the fact that we are at 29 pages in this thread of people debating/tweaking PC settings for the comparison to the Xbox One X's visual should speak volumes. This is a clear win for that box in that no Xbox One X owner will need to adjust any setting to get this kind of visual.
Very true. I'm running it maxed out on my 1080ti PC but I only have 1080p screens, the result shown here makes me want to play it on Xbox One X instead now. 1080p at 60fps plus 4K at 30fps with PC textures pretty much covers all bases.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

when we will have HBAO+, VXAO and SSAA on X1X?

Very true. I'm running it maxed out on my 1080ti PC but I only have 1080p screens, the result shown here makes me want to play it on Xbox One X instead now. 1080p at 60fps plus 4K at 30fps with PC textures pretty much covers all bases.

read the thread. PC version still has best visuals. plus you will still have much lower input lag on pc and go above 60fps on 1080p

Mareg

What if they sell the dirt texture pack as a DLC to get the PC version on par with the XB1X ? I could do the marketing out of this thread alone.

Dlacy13g

when we will have HBAO+, VXAO and SSAA on X1X?

read the thread. PC version still has best visuals. plus you will still have much lower input lag on pc and go above 60fps on 1080p

Can you agree that the PC version for "some" will have the best visuals? I think there is a very high % of PC gamers that wont get to the level you are speaking off on their current builds. This blanket "PC" is the better version is entirely dependent on what machine you are running it on.

What if they sell the dirt texture pack as a DLC to get the PC version on par with the XB1X ? I could do the marketing out of this thread alone.

The dirt textures are already in the PC version with the same quality details.

Can you agree that the PC version for "some" will have the best visuals? I think there is a very high % of PC gamers that wont get to the level you are speaking off on their current builds. This blanket "PC" is the better version is entirely dependent on what machine you are running it on.

A GTX 1060 or a RX480 most likely runs the game just as good as the Xbox One X using the same graphic settings. These cards are not far from reach for gamers that use their PC as their primary gaming device, considering the GTX 1060 is currently the most popular video card on steam.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

people with worse hardware than x1x still should know which version is better, because they are not forbiden to upgrade when they want/can

Journey

Banned
The dirt textures are already in the PC version with the same quality details.

I'm confused...

Is there a mistake in the analysis that I missed?

7XphzqI.png

Par Score

I'm confused...

Is there a mistake in the analysis that I missed?

7XphzqI.png

Yes:

Had a look through my saves and found the location easily.

DT2c.png

My settings are Highest texture setting, SMAA, motion blur off, dof off, lens flare off, film grain off, vignette blur off.

Direct png of my screenshot
http://abload.de/img/2017-08-2802_trpc63uf1.png

DF's PC image seems quite blurry but I went straight in with these settings, just turned off most of the post stuff it's a match in clarity. PC has tessellation, hbao+, higher stone textures.

Edit: campsite save file is right next to this scene if anyone wanted some other settings tried but this XBX version is not even released and really not worth overanalyzing. I was just curious how/why blurry the DF PC shot was as I've played and snapped this game in 4k last year plenty of times.

DF fucked up.

Maedhros

I was thinking about how the hell XoneX version was getting better graphics than PC on the same settings... did DF acknowledged their fuck up?

Colbert

Banned
How exactly did DF fuck up though?

They did not fuck up at all.

As I mentioned way earlier the take away of the video and the article is that the Xbox One X can match highest PC settings (in some cases) which can not to be said of the PS4 Pro Version. This is due to a native resolution and higher-quality textures (same as on a PC). And thats fairly it. Nothing more to see here.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think we did.

Here's the text on that shot included with the article...

Texture resolution is increased on Xbox One X across many scenes appearing more in line with the PC version's highest setting. The PS4 Pro version features extra depth of field currently disabled in the Xbox One X shot, however. Disabling motion blur may explain why the Xbox One X is so sharp in comparison to the others, but an additional layer of textures is also present.
This was written based on the Pro comparison - PC shots were a bonus, really.

Is texture resolution increased over PS4 Pro and in line with the PC version's highest setting? Yes

Does the Pro shot feature depth of field disabled on Xbox One at the moment? Yes.

Might disabling motion blur (or other post fx) explain why XO is so sharp? Yes.

Is an additional texture layer present? Yes.

The text doesn't comment on the faces or anything like that. It's obvious that the dirt texture is a dynamic element based on your actions in the game (though you can see the decals on PS4 if you look closely and see that they are indeed lower res).

This isn't the final comparison or anything definitive simply because we weren't in control of the Xbox One X assets (which I made clear from the beginning in the video). This was a quick and dirty comparison that I thought was interesting but nothing even remotely close to the "final world" on the subject.

He is probably talking about this
It's not incorrect is it? It doesn't say that the Xbox One X features higher resolution textures, rather, that the extra dirt wasn't appearing. We accessed that chapter using the "Replay a chapter" option. There isn't any combat prior to this scene when using chapter select. Some folks are reading way too deeply into things, I think, but I suppose it's to be expected.

AndyD

aka andydumi

I think they had different settings than X1X. Dof was different, blurring the image on PC, and giving the illusion that X1X is sharper textured, when in reality it had Dof off.

It seems to be that way. It's qualified in the text, but no one read it, it's the picture that gets passed around.

I don't think we did.

Here's the text on that shot included with the article...

This was written based on the Pro comparison - PC shots were a bonus, really.

Is texture resolution increased over PS4 Pro and in line with the PC version's highest setting? Yes

Does the Pro shot feature depth of field disabled on Xbox One at the moment? Yes.

Might disabling motion blur (or other post fx) explain why XO is so sharp? Yes.

Is an additional texture layer present? Yes.

The text doesn't comment on the faces or anything like that. It's obvious that the dirt texture is a dynamic element based on your actions in the game (though you can see the decals on PS4 if you look closely and see that they are indeed lower res).

This isn't the final comparison or anything definitive simply because we weren't in control of the Xbox One X assets (which I made clear from the beginning in the video). This was a quick and dirty comparison that I thought was interesting but nothing even remotely close to the "final world" on the subject.

If you could've gotten the dynamic dirt on all the versions of the game for a better comparison, we could've avoided a 30 page thread going back and forth.

But obviously that would have impacted your views so I see why you didn't do it.

dark10x

If you could've gotten the dynamic dirt on all the versions of the game for a better comparison, we could've avoided a 30 page thread going back and forth.

But obviously that would have impacted your views so I see why you didn't do it.
You really think that's the reason, though? That's really dumb.

I honestly didn't even think about the dirt - was focused on the table and jacket, more than anything else. GAF is the one that went nuts over the face dirt.

Duderino

The lesson learned in this thread...

As time goes on, the XBX is gonna be compared to PC more so then Pro, which leads me to feel even better about my Bonner X PreOrder.

It's only a matter of time until devs figure out how to max-out this beast, and i will say im lookin forward to the ride!!!

Due to the half gen cycle refreshes, this is easily the closest both Xbox and PlayStation have ever been to a moderate PC gaming rig by this point in the life cycle. Take the Pro, even with the lower specs and lower price tag, it's still capable of producing visuals where the compromises are not imediately evident to the non graphics enthusiast.

Neither the Pro or One X will be "maxed out" anytime soon. Rendering technology still has 2-3 years to evolve before these systems become yesterday's news. There will inevitably be games on both systems that push the limits as we understand them now. Microsoft, with their higher specs allowing for greater flexibility, and Sony, with their first party investment earlier in the gen producing showcase tittles and tech leading up to the PS5. Consoles punching above their perceived weight happens at the end of every generation and I very much doubt Microsoft's box is alone in having room to grow.

ISee

I honestly didn't even think about the dirt - was focused on the table and jacket, more than anything else. GAF is the one that went nuts over the face dirt.

I thought it was all about the one x image looking sharper and the PC image looking a bit blurry in comparison. Anyway I'm off watching the last GoT episode with my wife and afterwards it is time for something special.... the d2 beta ;)

This has been disproven now

I'm more pleased by this outcome as opposed to the alternative, where possibly newer assets were made specifically for the Xbox One X version. Because if it truly was just different, updated artwork, that doesn't really tell us that the Xbox One X version is taking and actually handling the highest possible PC assets, or as close as any console could possibly hope to get.

Fredrik

If you have a 4K screen but I'm still on 1080p screens on PC. Above 60fps is nice though but I 100-percented it on original XB1 so neither 30fps or input lag is a problem for me on this game.

Space_nut

I'm more pleased by this outcome as opposed to the alternative, where possibly newer assets were made specifically for the Xbox One X version. Because if it truly was just different, updated artwork, that doesn't really tell us that the Xbox One X version is taking and actually handling the highest possible PC assets, or as close as any console could possibly hope to get.

Yup just the fact it's the same game but looking so much better over the pro version is lovely

And Twitter...and Facebook. It was a wild ride to say the least lol.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
When XOX is released. Play that version of the game on a Full HD TV.
PS4 Pro version as well.
HBAO+ VXAO are nvidia effects so don`t expect them in this console gen.

at 4k pc still have SSAA as an option. also pc version being future proof you will be able going over 4k/60fps in the future.
no one expects the AO options on this gen. that why i am saying they are still pc only improvements

Yeah it's great that xox can offer the highest settings for this game. Pretty impressive

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
If you have a 4K screen but I'm still on 1080p screens on PC. Above 60fps is nice though but I 100-percented it on original XB1 so neither 30fps or input lag is a problem for me on this game.

if it's not a problem than should be a very nice bonus. smoother gameplay is king

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Due to the half gen cycle refreshes, this is easily the closest both Xbox and PlayStation have ever been to a moderate PC gaming rig by this point in the life cycle. Take the Pro, even with the lower specs and lower price tag, it's still capable of producing visuals where the compromises are not imediately evident to the non graphics enthusiast.

Neither the Pro or One X will be "maxed out" anytime soon. Rendering technology still has 2-3 years to evolve before these systems become yesterday's news. There will inevitably be games on both systems that push the limits as we understand them now. Microsoft, with their higher specs allowing for greater flexibility, and Sony, with their first party investment earlier in the gen producing showcase tittles and tech leading up to the PS5. Consoles punching above their perceived weight happens at the end of every generation and I very much doubt Microsoft's box is alone in having room to grow.

Best post I've read in here, I'd say! Neutrality! :D

The jacket also has distress decals which vary from run to run. This is an extra complication over the change in texture resolution. I don't think you or anyone at Digital Foundry "fucked up", but it's definitely the case that you weren't entirely thorough or explanatory.

Yes, this is just a "first look", but that's kind of the problem. Putting out quick-n-dirty statements just to be first, then retracting or finessing the stuff you got wrong or just did poorly is more like standard forum posting than the actions of a professional outlet with high quality standards. There's plenty of sources that can give good rough comparisons based on trailers. (For example, GAF collectively did at least as good a job here as Digital Foundry.)

I'd much rather see DF stick to posting careful, fully-explicated deep analyses of final or near-final games, addressing every finding and technique in clear detail. That's the unique value you offer.

dark10x

The jacket also has distress decals which vary from run to run. This is an extra complication over the change in texture resolution. I don't think you or anyone at Digital Foundry "fucked up", but it's definitely the case that you weren't entirely thorough or explanatory.

Yes, this is just a "first look", but that's kind of the problem. Putting out quick-n-dirty statements just to be first, then retracting or finessing the stuff you got wrong or just did poorly is more like standard forum posting than the actions of a professional outlet with high quality standards. There's plenty of sources that can give good rough comparisons based on trailers. (For example, GAF collectively did at least as good a job here as Digital Foundry.)

I'd much rather see DF stick to posting careful, fully-explicated deep analyses of final or near-final games, addressing every finding and technique in clear detail. That's the unique value you offer.
The entire point of the exercise was to share my thoughts in a video based on playing the demo. It's not done at the expense of anything else. Just a chance to talk about what I saw and make some interesting first observations. That's all!

Klocker

Wow Xbox is going to be a beast.

Of course it won't keep up with highest PC settings for fps but using highest texture assets and being able to push so many pixels in games is quite a leap over what's out there now on consoles.

People attacking DF and trying to downplay the examples given as some sort of fuck up really need to step back and chill. Nobody is saying a $500 machine is going t best your $1000 PC. Just that the XOX is the most powerful console ever and will best all other consoles handily for now.

Can not wait to see the games on my 4k TV in full Rez with all those effects.

danthefan

The XBoxOneX shot looks fantastic to be fair, but why does it look better than the PC version? There's no good reason for it to, unless...

onQ123

It's not incorrect is it? It doesn't say that the Xbox One X features higher resolution textures, rather, that the extra dirt wasn't appearing. We accessed that chapter using the "Replay a chapter" option. There isn't any combat prior to this scene when using chapter select. Some folks are reading way too deeply into things, I think, but I suppose it's to be expected.

Actually it was incorrect because it said that the shot had additional detail that you couldn't replicate on PC.

I can agree with this. Consoles have this inherent ability to surprise us again and again over the course of their life. In the end, owners of those consoles will enjoy their hardware pushing exclusives, though there is little doubt Xbox One X will end up having the more refined multi-plat games since history tells us that more often than not, more powerful hardware equals -to a variable degree- better versions of software (see Xbox vs PS2 for example).

dark10x

Actually it was incorrect because it said that the shot had additional detail that you couldn't replicate on PC.
That's not the text under the shot and it's not incorrect to say that it couldn't be replicated (as in, running through to the cutscene didn't trigger the extra dirt). There absolutely nothing wrong with that. GAF is the one that went nuts over the facial stuff.

Space_nut

That's not the text under the shot and it's not incorrect to say that it couldn't be replicated (as in, running through to the cutscene didn't trigger the extra dirt). There absolutely nothing wrong with that. GAF is the one that went nuts over the facial stuff.

Not only that the article is about Xbox One X vs pro not some pc screen shots which some here are going over board with

Top Bottom