• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Not only that the article is about Xbox One X vs pro not some pc screen shots which some here are going over board with

If the PC is included, as it obviously was, then it is very much a part of the comparison. There are even bits to include the precise PC specs used for the.......comparison. I don't get why you're so hellbent on this X vs Pro-only argument.

Fredrik

For what it's worth, I for one think that DF (and dark) does an awesome job to showcase the often tiny differences in games most of us can barely spot even when someone is pointing them out for us, they may not always get it 100% right but without them we would probably be stuck reading about 30fps games declared as 60fps games and 720p games said to be 1080p, it would basically be a lottery when buying games, we would never know for sure what we would get.
So, hats off to DF!
:)

XBX version is looking very good for a $500 machine. If they get some higher AO for the final version and include some DOF then even better. The higher clothing detail from PC really makes a difference I feel, lots of fibre texture and stitching etc, it's quite muddy looking on Pro and below.

John in the video did leave the question open if the devs are leaving DOF off for a sharp looking game in previews or not. Could be buggy right now, who knows.

anothertech

That's not the text under the shot and it's not incorrect to say that it couldn't be replicated (as in, running through to the cutscene didn't trigger the extra dirt). There absolutely nothing wrong with that. GAF is the one that went nuts over the facial stuff.
That's fair. But it would have been more easy to compare like for like shots if that could have been done on your part.

The fact the particles and dirt/details were different on the Xbonx version compared to pc made a clusterfuck of misgivings as we can tell for the last 30 pages lol

That's not the text under the shot and it's not incorrect to say that it couldn't be replicated (as in, running through to the cutscene didn't trigger the extra dirt). There absolutely nothing wrong with that. GAF is the one that went nuts over the facial stuff.
I totally trust you weren't lying or being intentionally misleading. But surely you understand the difference between "indeed, one shot even shows additional detail we couldn't replicate on PC" and "one shot has additional detail, which is likely due to the variable damage textures Lara accumulates, but we couldn't easily replicate it on PC". The first version heavily implies--incorrectly--that PC is incapable (which is exactly how it was taken by tons of people).

As for "that's not the text under the shot", that isn't completely germane. The quote is in the very first sentence of the updated article. It would be hard to give it more prominence among your findings. It was not seized on at random by the audience.

KageMaru

If you could've gotten the dynamic dirt on all the versions of the game for a better comparison, we could've avoided a 30 page thread going back and forth.

But obviously that would have impacted your views so I see why you didn't do it.

This is one of the dumbest things I've read all day. Congrats.

It doesn't matter what ports come out on top, there's always those who act like there's some nefarious motive with their comparisons.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
If you could've gotten the dynamic dirt on all the versions of the game for a better comparison, we could've avoided a 30 page thread going back and forth.

But obviously that would have impacted your views so I see why you didn't do it.
The dynamic dirt was obvious, yeah I had to go through my captures because people thought it was new to X1X but anyone who had played the game would have known.
The jacket detail and lack of Dof was the major take away for X1X, the questionable part of the DF comparison was the PC and PS4Pro looking like some low quality Hevc video while the actual direct captures was just as sharp as X1X.
Members proved this with their PC captures and I even posted 4Kcb and a Standard PC shot which IQ was way beyond what was be represented in the comparison, I'm shocked no one has actually posted Pro captures of that scene yet.

For what it's worth, I for one think that DF (and dark) does an awesome job to showcase the often tiny differences in games most of us can barely spot even when someone is pointing them out for us, they may not always get it 100% right but without them we would probably be stuck reading about 30fps games declared as 60fps games and 720p games said to be 1080p, it would basically be a lottery when buying games, we would never know for sure what we would get.
So, hats off to DF!
:)
They contribute a lot, but I don't agree we'd be lost without them. As I've pointed out already, GAF is a direct source for tech details and comparisons (in this particular case, more informative than Digital Foundry). And if you're looking for video comparisons or framerate analysis, then NXGamer, VG Tech, and Candyland all have websites or Youtube channels. There are probably other sources I'm unaware of too.

Without Digital Foundry we'd certainly have fewer analyses, but definitely not zero.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
There seems to be some strange sense of insecurity in this thread; some posters clinging to the idea that the Xbox One X is a mirage of some kind, incapable of delivering anything above the level of the PS4 Pro. If you own a Pro and aren't too invested in the console wars, you know that Sony didn't set the bar terribly high. The X is coming out later and is more costly, of course it's going to be more powerful in every conceivable way when developers put it to work.

These shots look great, as they should for a version coming out on a more powerful console a year later. They're doing a great job updating it to higher-end specs and optimizing it as such. It'd be nice if everyone would just accept that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The dynamic dirt was obvious, yeah I had to go through my captures because people thought it was new to X1X but anyone who had played the game would have known.
The jacket detail and lack of Dof was the major take away for X1X, the questionable part of the DF comparison was the PC and PS4Pro looking like some low quality Hevc video while the actual direct captures was just as sharp as X1X.
Members proved this with their PC captures and I even posted 4Kcb and a Standard PC shot which IQ was way beyond what was be represented in the comparison, I'm shocked no one has actually posted Pro captures of that scene yet.
I provided a 23mb BMP from the PS4 version earlier. Here it is again. That's what it looks like. Plain and simple.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=06570820124648077849

This is what it looks like on PS4 Pro. That is the ONLY version I touched for this comparison. That's it.

There seems to be some strange sense of insecurity in this thread; some posters clinging to the idea that the Xbox One X is a mirage of some kind, incapable of delivering anything above the level of the PS4 Pro.
I don't recall seeing anything that extreme (though I must admit I've skimmed over some posts). Do you have an example?

belvedere

Junior Butler
There seems to be some strange sense of insecurity in this thread; some posters clinging to the idea that the Xbox One X is a mirage of some kind, incapable of delivering anything above the level of the PS4 Pro. If you own a Pro and aren't too invested in the console wars, you know that Sony didn't set the bar terribly high. The X is coming out later and is more costly, of course it's going to be more powerful in every conceivable way when developers put it to work.

These shots look great, as they should for a version coming out on a more powerful console a year later. They're doing a great job updating it to higher-end specs and optimizing it as such. It'd be nice if everyone would just accept that.

You have a lot of reading to do. There's an incomprehensible number of drive-by posts like yours here than there are of the speculative fiction you mention above.

Pro and PC owners found an inconsistency then corroborated it. That's why this thread is moving at the pace it is.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I don't recall seeing anything that extreme (though I must admit I've skimmed over some posts). Do you have an example?

I don't recall that either. This is why threads turn to "shit". People can't ever question. It just has to be "accepted" that these differences are final and everyone else should shut up. I'll never understand that line of thought.

dark10x

You have a lot of reading to do. There's an incomprehensible number of drive-by posts like yours here than there are of the speculative fiction you mention above.

Pro and PC owners found an inconsistency then corroborated it. That's why this thread is moving at the pace it is.
Pro owners? Which ones?

There is no inconsistency there. The Pro shot is 100% accurate and fully explained. I'm 100% positive on that. I even posted that full 23mb BMP above. That's what it looks like.

Here it is again.

dark10x

thanks what chapter is that btw?
I don't remember the number, to be honest, but it's after you raid the camp at night. On holiday now so I can't check.

What I want to know is if you can trigger extra "face dirt" using chapter select. We weren't able to replicate that using that method and we didn't have saves in that area.

onQ123

That's the text from the website

TGO

I don't remember the number, to be honest, but it's after you raid the camp at night. On holiday now so I can't check.

What I want to know is if you can trigger extra "face dirt" using chapter select. We weren't able to replicate that using that method and we didn't have saves in that area.
Flooded Archives,I done it now I get a shot up

Look John, big fan of DF. You are correct regarding the text and if you couldn't replicate the dirt, I believe you. But I guess the point is that when you cannot vehicle an information correctly, it's best to simply not share said information. Especially for an outlet like yours. Otherwise, you end up sharing the wrong message. I don't know about the rest, but when I came into this thread and read the article, I thought "OK I have to take it with a grain of salt since that comparison has some flaws". I mean, I already played the game on Xbox One as well as PS4 Pro so I knew about the DoF, and the dynamic distress decals. But you know, comparisons like these are often used as war fuels for fanboys or more mainstream players looking for a way to justify their purchase. I mean, what happened during the first few pages of thread? We ended with a freaking lot of people with comment such as "Wow It's like a night and day difference", "This is possible because of the most powerful console ever" or "The PS4 Pro is a terrible console compared to the Xbox One X". Sure, these aren't exact quotes or anything, but we had messages like that by the dozens. For a moment, I thought we were swarmed by one of those companies Microsoft hire to propagate positive propaganda over internet forums. It was a terrible sentiment, especially for those who actually knew this comparison was to be taken lightly.

This stuff isn't freaking important in our life but then it's the internet and who never actually felt like "My love this has to wait, someone is wrong on the internet"??? Some of us like this stuff so much that it hurts just to think that someone could make his purchase based on hype forged by a flawed comparison. I know, it's stupid and I should not give a crap but then I do anyway. Others just want to prove their views are right against the odd and they will do anything to do so.

Still, the nerdy graphic guy within me simply did not like this article due to the picture comparisons. This led many people to believe the textures on the Xbox One X version was actually better than the PC version, which isn't the case. The fact that the comparison tool is also flawed due the jpeg compression on certain screenshots didn't help either, as proved by one gaffer earlier...

Please, just take more time to put comparisons like these. Explain in a more eloquent way what we are saying and provide additional screenshots to explain different graphical effects such as DoF if necessary. It's what people expect from a quality outlet like yours. Otherwise, what's the point to read DF if you are not significantly better than a youtuber?

Do not take this criticism too harshly though. I think I speak for most of us when I say we love your work <3

belvedere

Junior Butler
Pro owners? Which ones?

There is no inconsistency there. The Pro shot is 100% accurate and fully explained. I'm 100% positive on that. I even posted that full 23mb BMP above. That's what it looks like.

Here it is again.

Meaning that owners of both platforms observed the same thing, that there is no super enhanced XOX exclusive texture assets like some here were claiming. I'm not sure where or what led people to that conclusion, but it happened nonetheless.

And like others have said regarding the shot you keep referencing, its unintentionally misleading because of the dynamic dirt in system in place. Instead of looking at the jacket and noting the obvious texture differences, some people are perceiving the extra dirt on Laura's face as evidence of extra texture detail.

BTW, we all appreciate your work here John and appreciate your candidness regarding this whole thing.

Great job. Looking forward to your analysis of Doom, FFXV, Titanfall 2, PC2 and SWBF2. Hope you'll also try out Xbx 360 BC on the 1X.

TGO

here we go
riseofthetombraider_32bu7n.png

Other than the dirt it still looks a bit different to yours John , maybe capture software?

dark10x

here we go
riseofthetombraider_32bu7n.png

looks a bit different to yours John
It's darker and the dirt layer is present. It's still obviously using high textures rather than very high.

That's it.

Here's the XOX shot versus your new shot. You can clearly see that base textures are still lower resolution. That much is clear and that was the point.

SW2c.jpg

TheOddOne

Look John, big fan of DF. You are correct regarding the text and if you couldn't replicate the dirt, I believe you. But I guess the point is that when you cannot vehicle an information correctly, it's best to simply not share said information. Especially for an outlet like yours. Otherwise, you end up sharing the wrong message. I don't know about the rest, but when I came into this thread and read the article, I thought "OK I have to take it with a grain of salt since that comparison has some flaws". I mean, I already played the game on Xbox One as well as PS4 Pro so I knew about the DoF, and the dynamic distress decals. But you know, comparisons like these are often used as war fuels for fanboys or more mainstream players looking for a way to justify their purchase. I mean, what happened during the first few pages of thread? We ended with a freaking lot of people with comment such as "Wow It's like a night and day difference", "This is possible because of the most powerful console ever" or "The PS4 Pro is a terrible console compared to the Xbox One X". Sure, these aren't exact quotes or anything, but we had messages like that by the dozens. For a moment, I thought we were swarmed by one of those companies Microsoft hire to propagate positive propaganda over internet forums. It was a terrible sentiment, especially for those who actually knew this comparison was to be taken lightly.

This stuff isn't freaking important in our life but then it's the internet and who never actually felt like "My love this has to wait, someone is wrong on the internet"??? Some of us like this stuff so much that it hurts just to think that someone could make his purchase based on hype forged by a flawed comparison. I know, it's stupid and I should not give a crap but then I do anyway. Others just want to prove their views are right against the odd and they will do anything to do so.

Still, the nerdy graphic guy within me simply did not like this article due to the picture comparisons. This led many people to believe the textures on the Xbox One X version was actually better than the PC version, which isn't the case. The fact that the comparison tool is also flawed due the jpeg compression on certain screenshots didn't help either, as proved by one gaffer earlier...

Please, just take more time to put comparisons like these. Explain in a more eloquent way what we are saying and provide additional screenshots to explain different graphical effects such as DoF if necessary. It's what people expect from a quality outlet like yours. Otherwise, what's the point to read DF if you are not significantly better than a youtuber?

Do not take this criticism too harshly though. I think I speak for most of us when I say we love your work <3
I've read this three times and I'm still baffled as to why anybody would have this mentality or even justify it.

It's darker and the dirt layer is present. It's still obviously using high textures rather than very high.

That's it.

Here's the XOX shot versus your new shot. You can clearly see that base textures are still lower resolution. That much is clear and that was the point.

SW2c.jpg

Damn, those higher rez textures are niceeee.

onQ123

I didn't notice that text earlier, unfortunately, and I can agree that it's not clear. I thought you had an issue with my text under the shots.

I linked to the text in my quote I never said anything about what was under the shots I just posted the quote to show what people might have a problem with.

TGO

That's it.
Yeah the X1X is definitely sharper, but thats a better representation, not sure why yours looks so washed out in comparison.

cicatriz

I'm not sure anyone is claiming otherwise. The initial confusion lied with a comparison shot of a completely clean-faced Laura on PC/Pro to a scuffed, dirty and cut up version for Xbox X. I think this was the point of confusion for people, thinking that these were new textures. Surely you see how that is misleading?

The pic TGO just posted is a more like for like example.

Why are fanboys having a mental breakdown because of valid comparisons? Someone please explain.

Fredrik

Boom

The scarf and jacket textures are so smudgy
That was shown in the original comparison as well, people were just too caught up looking at her dirty face ;P

Een8B2g.png

Where is this shot taken? I want to check how my PC fare against the XBX on my 1080p screen.

TGO

That was shown in the original comparison as well, people were just too caught up looking at her dirty face ;P

Een8B2g.png

Where is this shot taken? I want to check how my PC fare against the XBX on my 1080p screen.
Flooded Achieves, just damage Lara a bit to ruff her up lol.

dark10x

I'm not sure anyone is claiming otherwise. The initial confusion lied with a comparison shot of a completely clean-faced Laura on PC/Pro to a scuffed, dirty and cut up version for Xbox X. I think this was the point of confusion for people, thinking that these were new textures. Surely you see how that is misleading?

The pic TGO just posted is a more like for like example.
Yes. It was an honest mistake in that I didn't even realize you could engage "dirty textures" and was looking beyond that at the base textures which ARE lower resolution. That was the point.

Poor guy is on holiday and still having to deal with console warrior bullshit.
Ha ha, tell me about it! I think I'm going to double dose on my anti-depressant tonight. ;)

Doesn't HDR footage appear washed out if not viewed on an HDR screen?

Could that be why the X shots look lighter than the Pro's?

Was that press kit footage HDR footage?

EDIT: Talking about this comparison here,

That's it.

SW2c.jpg

Due to the half gen cycle refreshes, this is easily the closest both Xbox and PlayStation have ever been to a moderate PC gaming rig by this point in the life cycle. Take the Pro, even with the lower specs and lower price tag, it's still capable of producing visuals where the compromises are not imediately evident to the non graphics enthusiast.

At the equivalent cost of a substantial PC GPU upgrade though. $800 to sort of keep up with PC over the course of a generation isn't exactly chump change.

Yes. It was an honest mistake in that I didn't even realize you could engage "dirty textures" and was looking beyond that at the base textures which ARE lower resolution. That was the point.

You're being way too patient with this nonsense. I hope you don't disappear from GAF like Shinobi, but I wouldn't blame you if you did.

Jesus.

Top Bottom