• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

Shiggy

A $300 console+handheld bundle sounds tempting, but I doubt they can reach that price, at least during launch.

The PS4 is available for less than 270€ now, including one game. The NX is probably not gonna be more powerful, so I could see a price of 200-250€ as feasible for the console alone.

Banned
So GAF...who has a devkit?
iEXdfBd.png

Not gonna lie, tempted to buy this thing day 1. SNES was my first home console. I just can't help but to love Nintendo. Just got a 3DS, no words for the enjoyment I get from their games. I hope they do NX right with some good launch games. Id be all over it.

Guevara

Maybe it's because I lack imagination, but I just can't imagine a Nintendo console that could ship 20M units in 2016 (or even the 10-12M estimate from suppliers).

Sucks for everyone that just bought a Wii U this weekend.

Why? They got a good system and two great games for a low price, and there's a large catalog of other really wonderful games readily available for them. We have no idea whatsoever if the NX will be backwards compatible with Wii U games or not. If it is, then they still have a year to play through all of Wii U's hits. If it's not, then they would still need a Wii U to play all the games for it.

Banned
GameCube X

It'll be competitive in price and specs and have an awesome controller and exclusives with some decent third party support and sell like the Wii.

I really hope the handheld aspect of this console doesn't fucking gimp it :(

I want a console to play on my TV without any stupid gimmicks. Just let me do that Nintendo, please!

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The Macronix mention combined with the lack of Panasonic may just be for the handheld unit, but if not I have no idea who is going to foot the bill for 32 GB cards like that one writer's (Emily Rogers) proposed XCX port, or what Lego City Undercover would have required. Interesting if this is the default media for both. Those are just hypotheticals but what happens to big games like those 2 would have been had they been on NX and not on Wii U? Does this kill 3rd party support before it appears?

Did Nintendo use Macronix parts outside of DS and 3DS game cards?

kswiston

it's handheld + console and it's in the same range they plan to ship this year for handheld + console.

Has it been confirmed that they are launching both simultaneously?

I'm also curious to see how shared the library stuff works. Same game on two different formats, or the same format on two different systems?

kewlmyc

Are we going to seriously have to wait until E3 2016 to find out what the hell this thing is, especially if they plan on shipping next year?

sörine

Banned
The Macronix mention combined with the lack of Panasonic may just be for the handheld unit, but if not I have no idea who is going to foot the bill for 32 GB cards like that one writer's (Emily Rogers) proposed XCX port, or what Lego City Undercover would have required. Interesting if this is the default media for both. Those are just hypotheticals but what happens to big games like those 2 were on Wii U? Does this kill 3rd party support before it appears?

Nintendo used to use Macronix for their audio DSP in GC/Wii but they're no longer in that business afaik.

RootCause

Sadly, really? If you enjoy digital only, i`m sure they will provide you with the option.
I don't understand that mentality. It's not like they're losing the ability to buy games digitally. Meanwhile, an all digital system pretty much does the opposite.

finalflame

Sadly yes. I think we will get one more round of hardware with physical media.

Saying this is "sadly" is kind of shortsighted. There are still plenty of people worldwide who would be alienated if consoles went digital-only. Internet infrastructure just isn't good enough in all the markets where these consoles sell well. Heck, it's not even good enough in places like the U.S. with archaic data caps and speeds.

Unless we see sudden, miraculous leap in internet infrastructure I don't think we'll be ready for digital-only consoles. Also why anyone would care is beyond me; size?

The Macronix mention combined with the lack of Panasonic may just be for the handheld unit, but if not I have no idea who is going to foot the bill for 32 GB cards like that one writer's (Emily Rogers) proposed XCX port, or what Lego City Undercover would have required. Interesting if this is the default media for both. Those are just hypotheticals but what happens to big games like those 2 would have been had they been on NX and not on Wii U? Does this kill 3rd party support before it appears?

It probably kills third party support almost instantly. Mass producing cartridge as opposed to Blu Rays is more expensive. If it is proprietary, then they would have to get it from Nintendo I am assuming. That's another nail in the bucket.

Both the PS4 and Xbox are made to run off HDD, so there are more liberties in space management.

Guevara

My problem is the price.

If it is $350 as rumored, that's a lot for what most people might view as a handheld+.

I mean, we saw the 3DS fail initially at $249 before dropping precipitously to $169, the ambassador program, etc.

If everyone seems to want handhelds from Nintendo, and the new Nintendo handheld is effectively $350, that's bad.

Saying this is "sadly" is kind of shortsighted. There are still plenty of people worldwide who would be alienated if consoles went digital-only. Internet infrastructure just isn't good enough in all the markets where these consoles sell well. Heck, it's not even good enough in places like the U.S. with archaic data caps and speeds.

Unless we see sudden, miraculous leap in internet infrastructure I don't think we'll be ready for digital-only consoles. Also why anyone would care is beyond me; size?

We will never see good digital pricing and promotions until brick and mortar retail is removed from the ecosystem.

That said, this is a topic will derail the thread, so let's just agree to disagree. :)

Gamezone

Gold Member
I think it`s odd that Nintendo want to release this device in the middle of the XBO/PS4 generation. How do they expect third party developers to treat the NX? That they`ll release multi platform games on it, just like they do on XBO and PS4? If yes, how will that even be a success? This generation already have their fan base established.

finalflame

We will never see good digital pricing and promotions until brick and mortar retail is removed from the ecosystem.

We see plenty of good digital promotions, especially on PSN. Why do you believe brick and mortar need to be removed from the equation to get better digital sales? If anything, the competitive aspect of having discounted physical copies compels digital storefronts to lower their prices periodically.

I'm mostly digital on PS4, WiiU, and 3DS, but don't think I ever want a console with no support for physical media.

Eolz

Yall are gonna keep saying its not a hybrid until its a hybrid
Even when this has nearly no chances of happening? Iwata even said once that this could happen the gen after NX, but tehcnology (price/power/size) wasn't ready for this time.
Unless of course you mean hybrid as in shared architecture, which is already what is planned.

I think it`s odd that Nintendo want to release this device in the middle of the XBO/PS4 generation. How do they expect third party developers to treat the NX? That they`ll release multi platform games on it, just like they do on XBO and PS4? If yes, how will that even be a success? This generation already have their fan base established.

Third parties are going to mostly ignore Nintendo hardware no matter when it launches.

I think Nintendo's 2016 is going to be an incredibly interesting one. Will they truly learn from their mistakes? Only time will tell.

You expect a company that rarely drops their price of games to give good digital deals. It has been shown that their eshop deals are crap. Take away retail and you give Nintendo even more power to not drop the price. They have hardly any third party support and opporate in a bubble, they have no incentive to give deals.

Madness

The Wii U is a dead horse. They need to replace it as soon as possible.

They need to learn why it became a dead horse as well, lest they risk the same thing happening. This is NeoGAF so many of us are or were Nintendo fans, but the brand has dropped so much, the IP's are not as strong as they were (Pokémon/Mario aside). It's always about the Nintendo games. But in the past, they were cutting edge and offered something new. Look at the impact of games like Mario Bros, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Smash Bros. Whatever. Excited to see what they develop. But I don't know if they'll get what they need out of the console. Then again, this also seems like a console that will sort of be in a group by itself if the rumors are true.

Top Bottom