• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

stilgar

Man, I didn't expect my friend who works for a certain studio in Japan to answer me so quickly.

qummKmH.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Wii U was the first nintendo console since SNES that I didn't buy at launch (I never actually owned a NES until it was retro. Master System 4LIFE)

Planning on buying this at launch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They take years off every Pokémon generation... (1997 Gen 1, 2001 Gen 2, 2003 & 2005 Gen 3, 2007 Gen 4, 2011 Gen 5, 2015 Gen 6). Them taking one off here is in no way indicative of anything.

The main series Pokémon game in 2016 will be on the 3DS only. Mark my words.
We will see... I hope you are wrong. Just because they weren't ready to make a faster change happening last generation it doesn't mean that it can't happen this time.

It's all about the userbase....having it on 3DS is nice, but getting it to run on NX and demonstrating the fact that upcoming games will be playable on the TV as well would be really big.

I don't expect a DQ XI upgrade or situation between handheld and NX version, but it should look quite solid on NX without too much work. Just because of the higher resolution a day upgraded textures.

emb

Juicy rumor. Doubt there's much to it.

Just hearing rumors about NX has me excited though. Whenever it is, can't wait!

High sales projection = lower end product/lower price? Also possibly multiple devices?

Here's what it will be:

-Nintendo Direct reveal early 2016
-E3 Showcase of upcoming software
-Launch in September with Dragon Quest, Zelda, Mario.
-Metroid and Pokemon Holiday 2016

Book it

They need a Doc Brown Spider Monster™. Some new IP for launch that totally gets people off guard and talking. Their own Horizon, Destiny, Bloodborne, whatever. My hope is that it's Zelda+a big new surprise IP (maybe from Retro). Metroid is a really bad IP to focus on if they want to catch the eye of new consumers IMO and Mario+Zelda together would be kinda too familiar. Save Mario for 2017.

Griss

Firstly, it's looking like the handheld is coming first, just like I've always predicted (and wanted) it to.

Secondly, just because they're planning a supposed Fall launch next year doesn't mean it will work out that way. But it's certainly a good plan.

The_Lump

Banned
NX is the platform codename - as in both the handheld and console. When they refer to NX, they aren't talking about a handheld or a console, they are talking about both devices.

Well we don't know for certain there is a handheld and a console, yet. Even if we did, they could still be talking about one or the other, since they don't know if Nintendo will release both at the same time.

Basically, we know nothing and every possibility is still fair game.

JoeM86

We will see... I hope you are wrong. Just because they weren't ready to make a faster change happening last generation it doesn't mean that it can't happen this time.

It's all about the userbase....having it on 3DS is nice, but getting it to run on NX and demonstrating the fact that upcoming games will be playable on the TV as well would be really big.

I don't expect a DQ XI upgrade or situation between handheld and NX version, but it should look quite solid on NX without too much work. Just because of the higher resolution a day upgraded textures.
It's not about not being ready, it's about compatibility and generational jumps. They don't want to switch to new hardware without it being a new generation.

If the NX can't connect easily to 3DS players (as in 3DS adds their Friend Code and it's accessible there), then there is a 0% chance of it happening.

They'll wait until the next Pokémon generation to jump to the next hardware and we're nowhere near that at this time.

Chi3fster

Banned
Yay, more rumors...

I can't find myself to care when we have little confirmed information about this thing. Until we see/ play the games, why should I? Why should anyone?

Just hope NX is on par with PS4 hardware power and not just and small improvement of the WiiU.

Ninentendo can even surpass PS4s power since the parts cost is low compared to 2-3 years. Nintendo has had the most powerfull console of a generation before ( Nes,SNES,N64) , why not this time...
Uhm...Master System was more powerful than NES and Neo-Geo spanked SNES and Genesis in hardware power. N64 was the only time they had the absolute most powerful console.

I mean, Nintendo's aim has never been for having the most powerful console; it's just that in the past their release dates usually were to a point where they had time to throw extra stuff in there and they defaulted to being more powerful than most (if not all) of their competitors b/c of timing and Moore's Law.

Actually outright aiming for power has always been more of a Sony and Microsoft thing.

Maybe Nintendo will pull a Sega Saturn and say at E3 that the handheld NX is AVAILABLE NOW =O

And then sell the home console NX in November, allowing enough time for manufacturing and marketing to properly launch both the handheld and home consoles.
As long as they have enough software ready and don't limit availability to four select retailers, sure why not?

They need a Doc Brown Spider Monster™. Some new IP for launch that totally gets people off guard and talking. Their own Horizon, Destiny, Bloodborne, whatever. My hope is that it's Zelda+a big new surprise IP (maybe from Retro). Metroid is a really bad IP to focus on if they want to catch the eye of new consumers IMO and Mario+Zelda together would be kinda too familiar. Save Mario for 2017.

Yeah, but there's no way to guess what their Doc Brown Spider Monster would be. I feel strongly about Metroid, though. They aren't just trying to get new customers. They're also trying to get back the old ones. Maybe I'm wrong though. I can't imagine it working for them with stuff like the new Doom on the way. Yeah, I retract that. Still firm with Mario and Zelda. Can't launch a console without Mario. Not in 2016 and not when it's replacing the 3DS.

Oh man. This is so exciting!

Nintendo sure seems confident about the NX so far. The were overconfident with the Wii U so they have to have learned their lesson and have a strong reason for these numbers... right?

I think we might hear about the NX sooner than E3. I see a Direct in late January/February as a soft reveal with some games and the features. Then follow up in the coming months with more of a blowout. They did do a late summer launch with the Gamecube in Japan, so that time frame isn't out of the question.

The_Lump

Banned
My guess/hope:

• Q2 Direct: Concept Reveal, Lose Hardware details
  • E3: Launch Games/plans revealed, Hardware Specs, details
  • Q3: Handheld Launch
  • Q4: Console Launch

finalflame

Maybe it makes sense if this is total units between handheld and home console? Man the hype here is building HARD. Can't wait to finally see what's gonna replace the WiiU and see the lineup of games we've been waiting for: Animal Crossing, proper 3D Mario, Pikmin 4, Zelda NX, Metroid.

BRING IT NINTENDO.

We should all start expecting leaks around Q1 2016 then? I think Nintendo would be wise to unveil the NX hardware around the time production starts. And that's a pretty large shipping figure too, even if it includes that console and handheld variants. Exciting times!

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm psyched.

My Wii U is barely a year old, but it's cool man. I knew what I was getting into, and the games were more than worth it.

Totally excited about the future prospects of the NX platform.

Tregard

Soothsayer

Retro's reboot of Wild Gunman to appeal to an audience hungry for games like Red Dead Redemption is just what you're looking for.

Man, I didn't expect my friend who works for a certain studio in Japan to answer me so quickly.

qummKmH.jpg

Mother mercy that thing it beautiful.

Koozek

Wii U was the first nintendo console since SNES that I didn't buy at launch (I never actually owned a NES until it was retro. Master System 4LIFE)

Planning on buying this at launch.

Dito. Will skip Wii U and jump straight to NX if Zelda U is cross-gen.

georly

What if it's 3 systems/devices? Console, Handheld and then something akin to an apple TV/roku which can STREAM games from the console/handheld that you have elsewhere in the house or play some of the simpler games/apps as well as providing streaming apps like netflix etc.

That's the only way I can see it reaching 20m is if it's 3 systems, with one of them REALLY cheap, like 99 bucks.

A 99 dollar nintendoTV that lets you play virtual console/simpler games could do really well, I'd think. Well, in theory, I guess - they'd have to pull it off and give people a reason to get it that wouldn't already get an already established TV device.

Banned
20M shipped by end of fiscal 2016 is insanity at best.
Batshit crazy Nintendo is best Nintendo?

March - NX event showing hardware and specs and a few trailers for launch titles

E3 - Price is confirmed along with release dates, full trailers shown for launch titles, remasteres (likely smash GOTY edition), etc. It'll be a regular press conference for the first time since 2012.

Third Friday of November 2016 - NX console launches in the west and the handheld in Japan.

Top Bottom