• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

Kudo

Hopefully they've made the right choices when making this console.
Can't really support region locked console so if I'm going to be one of those 10-12m I hope it's region free.
I'm little scared to be honest, but we'll see how it goes for them.

AntMurda

To be fair, Iwata said clearly that the NX is going to absorb the Wii U architecture so backwards compatibility is highly probable.

Architecture meaning the blueprint of the system no? That's what WSJ discussed with the console and hand held operating in unison, but being separate. The chipset itself doesn't make sense at all.

hodgy100

Numbers don't seem too odd to me. 3DS sold something like 15 million in 2011, right?

I feel like it's coming up awfully fast though. Nintendo also needs to market the thing properly in that timeframe.

Well in Europe, they just had the Wii U's shipped backed to them.

the X1 and Ps4 were revealed and released in the same year :)

schaft0620

This is nonsensical with the little evidence we have.

1. The patent showed flash carts for the NX console. Which made sense if the media can be played by an NX console or NX hand held. No disc drive!

2. Wii U BC would mean you have to include a disc drive, and an archaic chipset that will up the price and ruin Nintendo's hope to complete with PS4/XOne at a reasonable price.

3. Wii U BC has literally 10 noteworthy games. What company would logically make BC a priority for that few games???

Maybe next-generation the idea of digital only would be feasible.

This is just my have fun prediction and

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2491508,00.asp

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...chter-thinks-console-death-will-take-decades/

Also somewhere out there is an old article about how Gamestop threatened to not carry the new Xbox when it was rumored to be all digital.

Apathy

If it's a handheld in any way (dedicated or other) the numbers seem doable. If it's a dedicated console, no chance in hell. Definitely points to dedicated or hybrid handheld as the patent suggests.

Nintendo, if you're going to do BC for Wii U, please do it as a separate add-on. The base NX does not need extra hardware being a crux for playing old games from a library of a console most people don't own. It'll just raise the price and hardware complexity for no good reason, and eat away budget that could be used for making the hardware more impressive in ways that'll get core gamers and developers on board, who, by the way, you need.

In other news, this thing is totally launching next year. Can't wait to see what they've been cooking up.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Maybe 20 million units refers to the handheld and the home consoles together, and 12 million is how many handheld consoles will be manufactured, meaning that 8 million home consoles will be made (but the manufacturing order for that hasn't been finalized yet, probably because it's coming later than the handheld).

to ship that many units in a single year, it's probably referring to both a console and handheld.

it's not 2011 anymore. a dedicated handheld gaming device will not sell that many units at launch in 2016.

Japan, though.

jackdoe

If they actually release a new home console variant, and not a handheld variant, in 2016, I hope they don't beat around the bush with a next gen Zelda port. By that, I mean I hope they don't release the title as Wii U exclusive in 2016 and then release the enhanced port in 2017 ala GTA V or The Last of Us. I want to buy the best version of Zelda, and I don't want to double dip.

Tobor

Yeah, I'm even trying to think of the phrasing used before we found out about 3DS and vaguely remembering the term "handheld" being prominent in use.

NX is for all intents and purposes an NX (NX-es?) until the proper reveal whenever that may be.

Exactly. From the earliest rumors we knew the 3DS was a handheld. We always knew the Wii U was a console. Same is true for every system I can think of.

How and why this is such a secret is a mystery. You would think Foxconn knows what they're building at this point, and that place leaks like a sieve.

Some dumb responses to my comment. It sucks for the people that just bought a WiiU because unlike us, many of them are seeing the system for the first time. They're going to instantly be peeved with Nintendo when a new system comes out next year and they groan and think "Wow, a new one comes out as soon as I bought this one."

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I love the "good luck with that" comments.. Nobody knows what the fuck is the concept of the machine yet. How can you know if it has the potential to sell that amount or not...

It's certainly not the Nintendo name only that will move that kind of consoles, .. but it's not that name that can prevent it to do it neither. All will depends on the concept. It's a start from scratch each time.
This so much.

People act as if Nintendo will just release the WiiU for the same price and call it NX. Hell most of the posts are completely ignorant the about the Handheld for factor.

"They will be lucky to sell 10 mil lifetime"... Might wanna educate yourself on Nintendo's hardware sales per Generation (home system+handheld).

JoeM86

Maybe 20 million units refers to the handheld and the home consoles, and 12 million is how many handheld consoles will be manufactured, meaning that 8 million home consoles will be made (but the manufacturing order for that hasn't been finalized yet, probably because it's coming later than the handheld).

See, people see 20m and think "whoa Nintendo's crazy", but ignore the fact that NX is having a handheld and a console.

So 12 million handheld is actually down on 3DS but 8 million console is up on Wii U and both are solid projections for devices.

But meh, we'll wait and see once concrete facts come in :)

Exactly. From the earliest rumors we knew the 3DS was a handheld. We always knew the Wii U was a console. Same is true for every system I can think of.

How and why this is such a secret is a mystery. You would think Foxconn knows what they're building at this point, and that place leaks like a sieve.

It's only a "secret" if you haven't been paying attention to what has been said. While it isn't clear, we have an idea of what the NX is.

Oersted

Folks read, it is a rumor, not official numbers.

Sucks for everyone that just bought a Wii U this weekend.

Nope.

Some dumb responses to my comment. It sucks for the people that just bought a WiiU because unlike us, many of them are seeing the system for the first time. They're going to instantly be peeved with Nintendo when a new system comes out next year and they groan and think "Wow, a new one comes out as soon as I bought this one."

We do not know when it releases and we do not know when it releases.

schaft0620

I know everyone is giving you shit but, I agree with you. People are paying $300 for the Wii U right now and if there is full BC it is worth 1/2 of that in 9 months. And if Nintendo plans to sell 12 Million NX's next year then yes their target audience is the 12 million people that own Wii U's.

Azure J

The most ferocious NDAs in human existence must be in play right now. We're already at the point of no return where everyone and their mother
at Ubisoft
would have already dropped a gem by mistake or by "mistake" already.

Edit: This is in reference to how the only things we know about NX come from that power point presentation post DeNA announcement.

Anth0ny

Japan, though.

Even in Japan. I'm pretty sure mobile gaming is bigger there than anywhere else in the world.

the NX portable will still sell in Japan more than anywhere else because Japan will always buy more handheld hardware/software than console, but I'm skeptical about 10-12m in 2016 nonetheless.

JoeM86

Even in Japan. I'm pretty sure mobile gaming is bigger there than anywhere else in the world.

the NX portable will still sell in Japan more than anywhere else because Japan will always buy more handheld hardware/software than console, but I'm skeptical about 10-12m in 2016 nonetheless.

Mobile gaming is ridiculously big in Japan. You are correct.

Though it is reaching an odd point. A surprisingly high number of games are having to kill support at the moment (including Game Freak's Solitiba, which is a popular title) simply because they're not making anywhere near enough to continue support. Game Freak even just purchased a flailing mobile developer which had many popular games in Japan, but was just crashing financially like crazy.

Papacheeks

Banned
So they are really going to go through with a 2016 launch then? I thought 2016 was a estimated launch? This is going to be one hell of an E3 come next year.

Melt down's would happen if it was just the handheld.

Petrae

Caveat emptor, and all that. A bit of proactive research by consumers would have indicated that WiiU is hurtling towards legacy console status, between news postings and scans of sparsely-populated upcoming release lists.

That said, if WiiU isn't going to get much cheaper than $250 at retail (which wouldn't be a surprise given that X360 & PS3 only got to $200 before all but disappearing from store shelves)... maybe now is the best time to buy, regardless of the platform's (dimming) future prospects.

Game-Biz

Nintendo needs to release a new console as soon as they can. The Wii U is a massive finical failure and they can't afford to waste another Christmas next year with mediocre profits from a console people care little about. Nintendo is a business and has shareholders to worry about. This is why a new home console must be released next year.

Fox Mulder

That's Nintendo's fault for shit wiiu marketing and pricing. The console has been out a bit and is only now pushing some huge bundles despite failing the whole time.

It might burn people, but Nintendo has to move on.

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm probably going to pick this up at launch.

My first Nintendo console since the N64 or 3DS.

Yea, me too if it is indeed the home console and not the handheld. Haven't bought a Nintendo system since Gamecube, my wii was inherited through it getting thrown out in the garbage.

All it needed was a few tweaks to the wiring and cleaned, still runs to this day.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
When will we finally see this thing?
First time I wish I worked at Foxconn...

Probably in a Nintendo Direct shortly after the holidays. I highly doubt they'll wait until E3 to show it off. E3 will be to showcase the games coming for the NX. And the unprecedented partnerships, of course.

Here's what it will be:

-Nintendo Direct reveal early 2016
-E3 Showcase of upcoming software
-Launch in September with Dragon Quest, Zelda, Mario.
-Metroid and Pokemon Holiday 2016

Book it

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So they are really going to go through with a 2016 launch then? I thought 2016 was a estimated launch? This is going to be one hell of an E3 come next year.

Melt down's would happen if it was just the handheld.

If I had to guess, and assuming the Handheld/Console shared OS and at least some cross play (i.e. maybe portable to console, but not other way around are true).....

NX Console launches in the west (or at least NA) in November 2016, and the portable launches around the same time in Japan. Then the spring sees the other platform come out in the respective territories.

Either that or they launch both at the same time in both places.

I've always said I'd be shocked if they didn't come out with something in 2016 given how dead the Wii U is sales wise, how long the 3DS has been out and how pretty much all the upcoming releases sans Zelda U are b tier franchises (sales wise), spinoffs or niche titles.

They can't afford to be so irrelevant in the core gamer space for any longer than until next fall.

danmaku

If they actually release a new home console variant, and not a handheld variant, in 2016, I hope they don't beat around the bush with a next gen Zelda port. By that, I mean I hope they don't release the title as Wii U exclusive in 2016 and then release the enhanced port in 2017 ala GTA V or The Last of Us. I want to buy the best version of Zelda, and I don't want to double dip.

I think they'll do the opposite. They'll ditch BC to lower the price and sell remastered versions of the WiiU classics. Only a fraction of their customers played them anyway and they have low print runs so they'll be hard to find and expensive. I love BC but I don't think they'll have it this time.

For Nintendo to sell that many items in 2016, you either need

1. an insanely low price, like $100 for a PS4-power level item. Not likely, unless Amazon, Apple, or Google are behind it (deep pockets). Rental system is another option but again unlikely with conservative and isolated Nintendo.

2. an insanely new tech idea that no one has thought of. Its not VR.

3. Massive third party support for every single new release, in a way that undercuts PS4/Xbox One (cheaper or more game). With hundreds of people having to participate in this idea across dozens of studios, it would leak faster than a Kardashian sex tape.

So I just can't see what Nintendo is smoking to think they can move that many units, but definitely can't wait to see what they say!

Papacheeks

Banned
Here's what it will be:

Book it

That lineup would make me buy one, especially if it's priced right.

For Nintendo to sell that many items in 2016, you either need

1. an insanely low price, like $100 for a PS4-power level item. Not likely, unless Amazon, Apple, or Google are behind it (deep pockets). Rental system is another option but again unlikely with conservative and isolated Nintendo.

2. an insanely new tech idea that no one has thought of. Its not VR.

3. Massive third party support for every single new release, in a way that undercuts PS4/Xbox One (cheaper or more game). With hundreds of people having to participate in this idea across dozens of studios, it would leak faster than a Kardashian sex tape.

So I just can't see what Nintendo is smoking to think they can move that many units, but definitely can't wait to see what they say!

No.

100 dollars is suicide unless it's advertised like a TV set top box. If it is indeed an actual full on console 200-250$ would be fine as long as the games they had for launch were stellar, and their road map for future titles looked great as well.

JCX

Second quarter? Surprised it's not a Holiday launch. Prefer that though. I'm too old to stand in the cold for a console launch now.

jackdoe

I think they'll do the opposite. They'll ditch BC to lower the price and sell remastered versions of the WiiU classics. Only a fraction of their customers played them anyway and they have low print runs so they'll be hard to find and expensive. I love BC but I don't think they'll have it this time.
Oh, I meant that I'd hope that they release the Wii U and NX versions at the same time.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Here's what it will be:

Book it

The Pokemon Company goes for install bases above all else it seems.

Pokemon Black & White 2 came out roughly a year and a half after the 3DS in all territories.

I don't see them wanting to jump right away.

Anth0ny

It definitely does suck for those people, but Nintendo has to bite the bullet and move on. Wii U is a zombie at the moment.

Vena

Unlike the Wii, the WiiU has an abstraction layer and can be software emulated.

Top Bottom