• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

Nintendo seems very confident here. They clearly have hardware up their sleeves that they think will be successful, and it sounds like it may be coming out sooner than most are anticipating.

They don't have first party content announced for the 2nd half of 2016 beyond Zelda, hopefully they are trying to pool up resources for a huge launch for the NX. Sounds like a lot of content could be coming from Japan with cross-over from PS4. We are already starting to see that from Dragon Quest XI and rumors of Yokai Watch.

Whilst I'd keep some wary scepticism because, well, rumours and all...

If this were true, then it would sound like Nintendo intending to try and minimise the gap between a proper reveal of the system - whatever it is - and actual release. Whilst still hypothetical... that could actually be an interesting approach. Both Xbox One and PS4 released in the same year they were announced and revealed, meaning that there wasn't as much time for them to fade from memory, and it was probably easier on Microsoft and Sony to keep information about the consoles circulating on news feeds. Announcing at E3 or some such to then release in the holiday period could work for Nintendo.

JoeM86

The Pokemon Company goes for install bases above all else it seems.

Pokemon Black & White came out after the 3DS, but on DS.

Pokemon Black & White 2 came out roughly a year and a half after the 3DS in all territories.

I don't see them wanting to jump right away.

Black & White came out 5 months before the 3DS. (September 2010 launch for BW, February 2011 launch for 3DS)

Black 2 & White 2 came on the DS because Black & White was on the DS and it wasn't the time for a generational shift.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Here's what it will be:

-Nintendo Direct reveal early 2016
-E3 Showcase of upcoming software
-Launch in September with Dragon Quest, Zelda, Mario.
-Metroid and Pokemon Holiday 2016

Book it
The first part is right... But you got the launch games wrong. Metroid won't be a 2016 game when they already are releasing Zelda. And they won't drop Zelda or the console in western markets before November.

Dragon Quest XI will likely hit only the 3DS next year. Unless you are talking about DQX... Then again the Japanese release schedule is a while other can of worms..

spliced

Well of course Nintendo have high goals for the thing, they didn't go into making it trying to replicate the (lack of) success of the Wii U.

Papacheeks

Banned
$350 for console and handheld

That would be too good to be true.

And if so, how do you expect them to advertise, and showcase all of this with the release widow being early fall.

Need to show off both the console and handheld.

Unless they split it up by using Nintendo Direct's?

I can't wait to regret buying it at launch like every other console.

I'v made a hug mistake.gif.

Anth0ny

The Pokemon Company goes for install bases above all else it seems.

Pokemon Black & White came out after the 3DS, but on DS.

Pokemon Black & White 2 came out roughly a year and a half after the 3DS in all territories.

I don't see them wanting to jump right away.

I wonder if they'll release the next Pokemon cross gen

I mean, why not. You get the giant install base on the 3DS and the new NX owners desperate to buy a game for their shiny new handheld. That's $$$$$$$$$$$

L Thammy

Regarding the Japan / mobile thing. I do think future dedicated devices will have a tough time winning over the mass market when mobile is such a popular, convenient alternative. But I think there's going to be room for dedicated system among gaming enthusiasts for a while. I think it'll be important for Nintendo to realize that the Touch Generations / Wii Whatever crowd isn't coming back and focus their NX marketing on those that they can get.

JoeM86

I mean, why not. You get the giant install base on the 3DS and the new NX owners desperate to buy a game for their shiny new handheld. That's $$$$$$$$$$$

I would be incredibly surprised if they cross gen a game. If they didn't for Gen V, they're not going to here.

AniHawk

i remember that the wii u was supposed to launch in q2 2012 as well. i'm also assuming that's fiscal year terms, not calendar year terms, but who knows. the wii u was a console that seemed like it had been delayed from the end of 2011, and the 3ds delayed from late 2010.

that said, nintendo's target this year for wii u + 3ds is something in the range of 10-11m. i don't think it's super out of the ordinary to expect a console + handheld thing to hit the same numbers as long as they have solid messaging at the start and the timing is right. if it's late 2016, then it's pretty much impossible.

killroy87

I'm VERY curious to find out when this will actually launch. There seems to be such a divide between 2016 people and 2017 people. I'm personally betting on holiday 2016, but early-mid 2017 is possible too.

L Thammy

If 3DS and NX can handle cross-platform multiplayer successfully, maybe.

Pif

Banned
If it is a hybrid and has zelda and pokemon z at launch, it is quite possible to reach those numbers.

The world is hungry for innovation.

Unlike the Wii, the WiiU has an abstraction layer and can be software emulated.

Can you elaborate on that? I haven't been following the NX but if this means it's more likely to be backwards-compatible I'll hold off on getting a Wii U until we know for sure.

Shang

I don't know what divine force would be required for Nintendo to be able to sell two systems at that price, but I'd definitely be in.

Realistically, expecting $300 for the console, because Miyamoto said Wii U was just a little too expensive at launch (too lazy for source), and $200 for the handheld, because they're always $200.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
And if so, how do you expect them to advertise, and showcase all of this with the release widow being early fall.

Need to show off both the console and handheld.

Unless they split it up by using Nintendo Direct's?

If their big selling point is the inter-connectivity of the two devices, with the unified platform approach, they'd be silly not to reveal them both together and focus on the ways they work together.

Sell both separately, but also offer a bundle that's a bit cheaper than buying separately etc.

jblank83

Some dumb responses to my comment. It sucks for the people that just bought a WiiU because unlike us, many of them are seeing the system for the first time. They're going to instantly be peeved with Nintendo when a new system comes out next year and they groan and think "Wow, a new one comes out as soon as I bought this one."

What uninformed rubes are these that didn't hear about the Wii U until 3 years post-launch but somehow will know of the NX immediately?
Or maybe they intentionally waited 3 years post-launch to pick up the system? I guess they'll intentionally wait 3 years to pickup an NX then.

Neither case makes much sense and either is silly enough to make "dumb responses" to.

sense

This so much.

People act as if Nintendo will just release the WiiU for the same price and call it NX. Hell most of the posts are completely ignorant the about the Handheld for factor.

"They will be lucky to sell 10 mil lifetime"... Might wanna educate yourself on Nintendo's hardware sales per Generation (home system+handheld).

while it is too early to call, you have to acknowledge the fact that they have an uphill battle because i can't see western third parties flocking to developing for it, the casual gamers that bought the wii are most likely not coming back and phones/tablets are eating into their handheld sales as well.

Game-Biz

I can't wait to regret buying it at launch like every other console.
You just got to set your expectations right (meaning low) and know what your getting yourself into when buying a Nintendo system. That is your buying it for Nintendo games and absolutely not expecting decent third party content. I bought the Wii U fully knowing it would mainly be a Smash Bros playing system and if I got any other good games on the way, well, that would be great too.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Hopefully they don't unveil it at E3. That has turned into the kiss of death for any console.

Also, Nintendo tends to do better when they're careful. So we'll see.

Yep, that's the best price. Bundle them both together. I can see the console selling for $250 and handheld for $150 separately, so you can essentially save $50 buying them in a bundle.

Otherwise separately I think they'd prioritize the console shipments in US/Europe and handheld shipments in Japan, that way neither market is flooded with too much inventory of a product that isn't quite in demand over there as a separate item.

I'm also still very confident there's a unique relationship between the console and handheld in hooking the handheld up to add extra power to the base console. Which would not be hard to manage if Nintendo's been serious about a scalable architecture similar to what PC games utilize, especially if it's something the hardware itself can detect and therefore wouldn't require a lot of effort from 3rd parties to support.

Hopefully they don't unveil it at E3. That has turned into the kiss of death for any console.

Also, Nintendo tends to do better when they're careful. So we'll see.
Lol wat? Historically, literally the only consoles that have had terrible E3s were the Saturn (almost exclusively due to that surprise launch and price) and XBO (which literally was a clusterfuck continuing the awkward tv reveal).

Otherwise E3's been a great place to reveal and hype up consoles. Particularly for Sony.

Alebrije

Just hope NX is on par with PS4 hardware power and not just and small improvement of the WiiU.

Ninentendo can even surpass PS4s power since the parts cost is low compared to 2-3 years. Nintendo has had the most powerfull console of a generation before ( Nes,SNES,N64) , why not this time...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I would be incredibly surprised if they cross gen a game. If they didn't for Gen V, they're not going to here.
They didn't take a year off for nothing. They will release the classic on VC next year, Pokken on WiiU, have even more mobile games and f2p 3DS titles and it's the Pokémon Anniversary.

I would be shocked if it isn't cross gen. They need to hit the ground running this upcoming generation.

JoeM86

They didn't take a year off for nothing. They will release the classic on VC next year, Pokken on WiiU, have even more mobile games and f2p 3DS titles and it's the Pokémon Anniversary.

I would be shocked if it isn't cross gen. They need to hit the ground running this upcoming generation.

They take years off every Pokémon generation... (1997 Gen 1, 2001 Gen 2, 2003 & 2005 Gen 3, 2007 Gen 4, 2011 Gen 5, 2015 Gen 6). Them taking one off here is in no way indicative of anything.

The main series Pokémon game in 2016 will be on the 3DS only. Mark my words.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A $150 handheld and $250 console (and maybe a $350 bundle of those two) should be able to do those millions.

NateDrake

i remember that the wii u was supposed to launch in q2 2012 as well. i'm also assuming that's fiscal year terms, not calendar year terms, but who knows. the wii u was a console that seemed like it had been delayed from the end of 2011, and the 3ds delayed from late 2010.

that said, nintendo's target this year for wii u + 3ds is something in the range of 10-11m. i don't think it's super out of the ordinary to expect a console + handheld thing to hit the same numbers as long as they have solid messaging at the start and the timing is right. if it's late 2016, then it's pretty much impossible.

I'm pretty sure the 3DS was delayed about 6 months due to lack of ready software for launch.

Javier

Nintendo truly taking the Gabbo approach for the NX. It's like they want to build up hype by telling us nothing.

I really hope the official reveal doesn't disappoint.

Just hope NX is on par with PS4 hardware power and not just and small improvement of the WiiU.

Ninentendo can even surpass PS4s power since the parts cost is low compared to 2-3 years. Nintendo has had the most powerfull console of a generation before ( Nes,SNES,N64) , why not this time...

An improved OS too I hope and keep the music for the dash, store, friends list etc. I love the different musical themes Nintendo puts into each category. The other two don't do that.

The_Lump

Banned
Just in time for AMD Zen & K12 processors, right? :p

Of course not.
However I am now more optimistic we might get a little leak re: hardware in the next few months...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, what happened to QoL? Was that one put on the backburner? It should have been presented this year, right?

Yeah, I'm guessing that got backburnered. Maybe Iwata was the main champion.

I know they said they weren't focused on wearables, but that market is so popular and so saturated I don't see much of a path for them there unless they really have something innovative up their sleeve.

Nintendo truly taking the Gabbo approach for the NX. It's like they want to build up hype by telling us nothing.

I really hope the official reveal doesn't disappoint.

I have learnt my lesson from Wii U, when it was Codenamed Project Cafe there was a lot of hype, rumours of it being a beast and so on. I remember being disappointed at the reveal, it was my own fault for getting carried away.

The first part is right... But you got the launch games wrong. Metroid won't be a 2016 game when they already are releasing Zelda. And they won't drop Zelda or the console in western markets before November.

Dragon Quest XI will likely hit only the 3DS next year. Unless you are talking about DQX... Then again the Japanese release schedule is a while other can of worms..

I'm telling youuuuuu

Retro has been steadily at work for a while. It's time.

Maybe DQXI is too ambitious. It all depends on Square, and their production rate has been questionable for almost 10 years now (Wow! Final Fantasy 15 has been in development for 9 years going on 10!). Regardless, Square will be there in some way. Maybe it's DQ Heroes. Maybe it's to announce FF7 and Kingdom Hearts.

Here's my thinking:

A) Nintendo knows if they drop the ball here, they're done.

B) They'be been putting out mostly filler this year because they have all hands on deck for the NX launch

C) Pokemon Company may be in charge of their brand, but think about how willing they would be to move their new generation to the new console if Nintendo asked them to. That's like your brother asking to borrow some cash or for a ride. Of course, dude!

Okay, maybe Zelda will be pushed back to November because that's how Nintendo rolls.

And the initial leak back last summer said they'd be releasing the console in July. I'm saying September to be safe. They won't wait for holiday because they won't have to. The line up will be that strong. Then it builds from them, and when they drop a bigger title during holiday...boom.

Whilst I'd keep some wary scepticism because, well, rumours and all...

If this were true, then it would sound like Nintendo intending to try and minimise the gap between a proper reveal of the system - whatever it is - and actual release. Whilst still hypothetical... that could actually be an interesting approach. Both Xbox One and PS4 released in the same year they were announced and revealed, meaning that there wasn't as much time for them to fade from memory, and it was probably easier on Microsoft and Sony to keep information about the consoles circulating on news feeds. Announcing at E3 or some such to then release in the holiday period could work for Nintendo.
I blame the Wii U reveal being a mess. Makes sense to wait to reveal closer to when done.
Hoping Pikmin 4 trailer is awesome.

Banned
I wouldn't say it's a sure thing. They've mostly trended downwards.

9xvoQ7X.png
That's a damning photo. Imagine what would have happened if the Wii and handheld gaming divisions didn't print turn money all those years?

Every console sold less than its predecessor except for the Wii. And even the NES numbers are small compared to the current market where 2 brands sell 80M+ each.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Maybe Nintendo will pull a Sega Saturn and say at E3 that the handheld NX is AVAILABLE NOW =O

And then sell the home console NX in November, allowing enough time for manufacturing and marketing to properly launch both the handheld and home consoles.

Eolz

I can believe it if it's handheld + console in a 6 months timeframe.
They're more about overstocking a bit these days.

Top Bottom