• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 11.2 revealed

lol..Microsoft still using desktop PC's with Nvidia 7xx series cards to demonstrate features available to a console with a FAR weaker GPU.

QaaQer

I don't get this. I run w8, so it's no problem for me. But limiting it just means no devs gonna bother using it for the next five years.

Thats the way PC gaming works. If you want to sell your software, you have to make sure your stuff will run on a 5 year old machine that was considered middle of the road at the time of purchase. The release of a W8 only 11.2 isn't going to change that.

It will however make those that need to have the latest and greatest eye candy upgrade as soon as the first game with optional 11.2 features hits. not a big deal...

The only thing I worry about is if those games are Windows Store™ exclusives. I refuse to participate in making the PC world a walled garden.

Toski

I'm not sure why people keep arguing about how much they like or dislike Windows 8, as that's almost irrelevant to the topic.

It could even be the best thing since someone invented Christmas' presents, but the issue here is that forcing people to use Windows 8 to use these new DX is going to discourage a lot of developers for embracing them.

Isn't the whole damn point people don't want to upgrade to Windows 8? If this same news was for Windows 7 coming from Vista, most here would be ecstatic and look to upgrade when the new DX rolled out. It seems MS is going to learn that new DX versions don't help or hurt OS adoption.

Sentenza

Isn't the whole damn point people don't want to upgrade to Windows 8?
No, the whole damn point is that no matter what some people will do, some other won't.
Which is why it's irrelevant how good W8 actually is. Exclusivity will be harmful for popularity and developers' adoption rate regardless of that.

Sethos

Banned
Exactly...it's just a nicer way of displaying some shortcut icons. Once you know where those icons are, you can zip around the thing - exactly the same as with 7. In fact I'm much faster at actually using 8 than 7 now.

The amount of hate to what is just a reskinned way of viewing some icons is absolutely baffling and is the epitome of bandwagon internet hate. The desktop environment is exactly the same just faster (and with little improvements here and there like native iso support).

Jesus, how many times do we have to hear that song.

"Oh it's better and faster"

"Oh bandwagon hate"

No it's shit, that's why.

Toski

No, the whole damn point is that no matter what some people will do, some other won't.
Which is why it's irrelevant how good W8 actually is. Exclusivity will be harmful for popularity and developers' adoption rate regardless of that.

I don't believe this. While I am a fan of W8, I'm not going to defend it. Most people shit on it for being different from traditional Windows. I agree that MS trying to use exclusive DX upgrades as a carrot to upgrade is ineffective, but if Win8 had more good will, this wouldn't be as big an issue as it currently is.

lol..Microsoft still using desktop PC's with Nvidia 7xx series cards to demonstrate features available to a console with a FAR weaker GPU.

I'm confused here, the 7xx's are new say why would you say it as if they have been doing the same thing over and over? And one more thing, what consoles are doing that, the next gen or current?

Edit: I'd imagine the Xbone will get this support.

artist

Banned
Am I the only one getting DX10+Vista vibes?
you-are-not-alone-4505ls33.jpg

Win 8 only eh, well that means no one will be using Directx 11.2 then. I certainly have no interest in installing a touch based OS on my PC any time soon. If any games are exclusive to win8 and Directx 11.2 then I will just ignore them.

Lucifon

Jesus, how many times do we have to hear that song.

"Oh it's better and faster"

"Oh bandwagon hate"

No it's shit, that's why.

I could turn that exact argument back at the haters who go onto internet forums to bash a product for months on end simply because the way some icons are displayed changed slightly. When people speak about the move from 7 to 8 as if 8 just murdered their first daughter it's just plain ridiculous.

Regardless, as derFeef has stated multiple times already 11.2 is incremental. Devs will still make games work with 11 on Windows 7. The only time you might see a Win8 exclusive game is for something like Halo 5 (or whatever it gets called), but you'd hope MS learnt from Halo 2 Vista.

Damian.

Banned
Win 8 only eh, well that means no one will be using Directx 11.2 then. I certainly have no interest in installing a touch based OS on my PC any time soon. If any games are exclusive to win8 and Directx 11.2 then I will just ignore them.

We're almost a year in and this ignorance is still being spewed? You will only be hurting yourself going forward by this archaic way of thinking.

QaaQer

This is bs, why would they alienate W7 users when people are still buying W7 ughhhh!!!!!

They make more money from w8 users because they have a store for windows 8 + some MS apps deliver advertising + they get way more data about usage patterns. 8 is a win as far as increasing revenue streams goes.

We're almost a year in and this ignorance is still being spewed? You will only be hurting yourself going forward by this archaic way of thinking.

You come off as ignorant and abusive. Compromises were made in win8 to make it an os suitable for touch. It is a fact.

danielcw

Win 8 only eh, well that means no one will be using Directx 11.2 then.

Being Windows 8.1 and above exclusive does not mean no one will beusing it.

When the first big games appear, that will use this feature more people will have upgraded to 8.1 or above.
And OpenGL will catch up to allow this feature as well

Damian.

Banned
You come off as ignorant and abusive. Compromises were made in win8 to make it an os suitable for touch. It is a fact.

What compromises? Windows 8 is an enhanced Windows 7 with added features that make it suitable for any computing device no matter the size. The arguments of a "Touch OS" are ignorant and have no place in intelligent discussion of the OS.

Sethos

Banned
I could turn that exact argument back at the haters who go onto internet forums to bash a product for months on end simply because the way some icons are displayed changed slightly. When people speak about the move from 7 to 8 as if 8 just murdered their first daughter it's just plain ridiculous.

Oh stop that, it's not "icons display changed slightly" - It's an obtuse tablet menu crowbarred into a desktop environment with a shit ton of full-screen Metro applications, charm bars and whatnot. It's rubbish and no, no "internet hate bandwagon" will never ever be that effective, however when it's a shitty product people will join that bandwagon.

The fact that when you buy a piece of software to turn Windows 8 into something that I prefer, you still need to hear comments about the fucking Metro shit.

Being Windows 8.1 and above exclusive does not mean no one will beusing it.

When the first big games appear, that will use this feature more people will have upgraded to 8.1 or above.
And OpenGL will catch up to allow this feature as well

OpenGL already has it but you need vendor specific extensions.
Dx11.2 means it standard whether you use an AMD or an NVidia gpu.

Personally i dont really care if all AAA games go to linux i will get linux.
OSX is out of the question hardware too closed off.

derExperte

Figures. Microsoft always has been forcing people to upgrade to their "new OS". Many companies are still on XP. Good luck.

Fewer and fewer. And which of those will care for DX11.2? But I wish good luck to the companies that are using a 12 year old OS that will soon be out of support.

It just getting over the initial steps maybe google some shortcuts.
I hate win8 has the shutdown menu hiding what feels like 2~3 menu layer deep.
I now just use alt + f4

Good news: In 8.1 shutdown/sleep/restart are part of the Win+X/right-click-on-start-button menu.

Steam statistics show that W8 is on the rise. And especially after 8.1 people should stop with the touch-OS BS. It works great on desktops.

Fewer and fewer. And which of those will care for DX11.2? But I wish good luck to the companies that are using a 12 year old OS that will soon be out of support.

Good news: In 8.1 shutdown/sleep/restart are part of the Win+X/right-click-on-start-button menu.

I know i want to reformat my win8 partition and upgrade to 8.1 but i rather wait when im done with uni stuff just to be sure and not feeling like making back ups and stuff.
So i will wait 1~2 weeks. Also i like how you can split apps with desktop better in the 8.1 //build/ keynote section yesterday.

Sethos

Banned
Still Direct3d is the better of the two in terms of the API and the documentation for it.

Because OpenGL was shunned, of course it won't be able to keep up. However it was the best API by far back in the day however Microsoft used their monopoly and influence to crowbar the shitty DirectX into gaming and made it the standard.

Damian.

Banned
What changes? The "Start menu" is A MENU TO THE METRO INTERFACE!

Who cares. It replaces a relic of XP that fewer and fewer people use every day. It works exactly the same way as the Windows 7 start menu, it just looks different. You're basing a bashing argument on something that is so useless and trivial.

Sethos

Banned
Who cares. It replaces a relic of XP that fewer and fewer people use every day. It works exactly the same way as the Windows 7 start menu, it just looks different. You're basing a bashing argument on something that is so useless and trivial.

No, I'm basing it off the fact that I used it for almost two months and at the end of the two months I still fucking hated it. It's bad.

Round wheels are also a relic.

Because OpenGL was shunned, of course it won't be able to keep up. However it was the best API by far back in the day however Microsoft used their monopoly and influence to crowbar the shitty DirectX into gaming and made it the standard.

Didn't they lost terrain to dx because the OpenGL consortium were slagging and microsoft took advantage of it.

Vestal

Gold Member

Shitty Directx?!?! What are you talking about.. They improved directx to the heavens in version 8 and on.. Its not that developers didn't have a choice, its that OpenGL fell behind because they just couldn't keep up with what MS was pushing out.

derExperte

What changes? The "Start menu" is A MENU TO THE METRO INTERFACE!

If you can't get other that fundamental fact then don't use W8 or install some third-party replacement. I can only say that the start screen works fine for me and the refinements in 8.1 have removed almost all the problems I had with it. Would totally miss it if I had to use W7 again.

Didn't they lost terrain to dx because the OpenGL consortium were slagging and microsoft took advantage of it.

That's what it comes down to but M$MONOPOLYDURRHURR sound better.

QaaQer

What compromises? Windows 8 is an enhanced Windows 7 with added features that make it suitable for any computing device no matter the size. The arguments of a "Touch OS" are ignorant and have no place in intelligent discussion of the OS.

I don't want to get into some stupid forum point scoring argument with you because you seem aggressive, convinced of your infallibility, and therefore a poor candidate for actual conversation.

But I will say the things that bother me that can be traced back to the need to support mobile touch devices in win 8 are font rendering, multi monitor support being irritating, and the hiving off of the desktop adding steps and clicks to my workflow.

Damian.

Banned
How can disliking something be a pebkac? So because you enjoy it and a whole heap of people don't, it's a user error?

Yeah great argument.

List some real problems you had above the superficial change to to the look of the start menu that you don't like.

Sethos

Banned
Shitty Directx?!?! What are you talking about.. They improved directx to the heavens in version 8 and on.. Its not that developers didn't have a choice, its that OpenGL fell behind because they just couldn't keep up with what MS was pushing out.

DirectX is a heavy, shitty API that was pushed very hard to become a standard but it's still not a great API. Lots of features and documentation? Yes. Good? No.

There's too much shit between the code and the hardware with DirectX.

If you can't get other that fundamental fact then don't use W8 or install some third-party replacement. I can only say that the start screen works fine for me and the refinements in 8.1 have removed almost all the problems I had with it. Would totally miss it if I had to use W7 again.

I already bought Start8, thanks.

Damian.

Banned
But I will say the things that bother me that can be traced back to the need to support mobile touch devices in win 8 are font rendering, multi monitor support being irritating, and the hiving off of the desktop adding steps and clicks to my workflow.

Superuser tasks take fewer clicks in Windows 8 over Windows 7 if you cared to do any research on the OS and took the time to use it properly. I have the same issues and gripes on multi-monitor support that I have had on Windows 7 and 8, so no comment there.

Still Direct3d is the better of the two in terms of the API and the documentation for it.

It wasn't until MS abused their dominant position to crush OpenGL a decade or so ago, OpenGL was giving far superior graphics to DirectX.

If it had been allowed to develop, I've no doubt it would still be superior today.

As it is, it's now up to to Sony to further develop it in house for the PS4

DirectX is a heavy, shitty API that was pushed very hard to become a standard but it's still not a great API. Lots of features and documentation? Yes. Good? No.

There's too much shit between the code and the hardware with DirectX.

I already bought Start8, thanks.

Didn't they streamlined d3d with dx10 and dx11 make it more like openGL.
Dx9 was heavy is from what if been told.

Inbe4 fully optimized left4dead benchmark of valve.

Sethos

Banned
Didn't they streamlined d3d with dx10 and dx11 make it more like openGL.
Dx9 was heavy is from what if been told.

DirectX 10 / 11 was more streamlining / making it easier to implement all sorts of advanced features which took a lot of coding in DirectX 9. However as for improving in, performance wise? So many games take a massive performance hit when going from DX9 to DX11, despite not adding anything of significance. The API is just so mind-numbingly heavy and I honestly rarely see it receive any praise.

QaaQer

Superuser tasks take fewer clicks in Windows 8 over Windows 7 if you cared to do any research on the OS and took the time to use it properly. I have the same issues and gripes on multi-monitor support that I have had on Windows 7 and 8, so no comment there.

I could care less about being a super user, it is about how to get the most work done per unit of time. Which reminds me, I gotta go.

edit: oh and not having to pay for retraining for no benefit.

Top Bottom