• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 11.2 revealed

cripterion

I like metro, and I'm on a desktop pc. A simple press of the key will bring me back to the traditional interface so what's the big deal fellas?
Besides, can't go back to win7 having better dual monitor support in win8.

Damian.

Banned
I could care less about being a super user, it is about how to get the most work done per unit of time. Which reminds me, I gotta go.

edit: oh and not having to pay for retraining for no benefit.

What specific tasks take more time in Windows 8 over 7? Some examples would be great as you could be helped to do things the right way to save time.

Shambles

All i know is what vie seen for myself in my job. Had a few W8 laptops, most recently just yesterday, that had boot problems and needed startup repair to be run, i havent seen an OS have so many issues with a boot loader since windows 98. Ive seen brand new W8 laptops straight out of the shop BSOD or have othe errors that are completely unrecoverable from without a reinstall. From what ive seen, i wouldnt trust it as far as i could throw it, which is probably pretty far in fairness.

Another classic case of anything goes wrong, blame the operating system.

Damian.

Banned
Using a band-aid to fix up a leaking dam can still be considered an improvement , I suppose.

I can't explain why I don't like an improved Windows 7 so I will make a seemingly witty response to get a laugh out of others that have blind hate.

Hey, it worked!

Irobot82

Sweet. I have windows 8 and love it. I get free Windows 8.1 upgrade and some new DX goodness. Cool. I don't understand all the hate for windows 8. I never used my start menu to begin with. I used steam and browser. Now I have ever game installed linked all pretty like (with Obly tile) to my UI. It's fantastic.

Fucking Windows 8. I just started working at a new company and they all use W8. I can't find shit in this damn OS, demanded they install W7 on it.

Damian.

Banned
Indeed, Oblytile was the big fat cherry on top of a good OS with some questionable looking regular desktop program tiles.

Sethos

Banned
I can't explain why I don't like an improved Windows 7 so I will make a seemingly witty response to get a laugh out of others that have blind hate.

Hey, it worked!

Hey I'll just force my opinion on everyone and pretend Windows 8 is a massive improvement and give anyone who dares say otherwise the third degree, plus I require a written novel every time someone disagrees with me!

Damian.

Banned
Hey I'll just force my opinion on everyone and pretend Windows 8 is a massive improvement and give anyone who dares say otherwise the third degree, plus I require a written novel every time someone disagrees with me!

I never said it was a massive improvement, just that it took Windows 7, improved it and streamlined functions to make the OS applicable on any computing device you put it on. Nor have I asked for a written novel for gripes. I would like to know the gripes, because 99% of them can be fixed when the hate shades are taken off.

Satchel

Banned
The hate for windows 8 is more ridiculous than the gate for the Xbox One.

I use Macs (thanks to Vista) and I still think windows 8 is a great OS.

Ce-Lin

so sad that they keep evolving the crappy Dx API, nowadays hardware is massively faster/better than DirectX could ever show, PC gaming is definitely strongly capped by this.

The hate for windows 8 is more ridiculous than the gate for the Xbox One.

I use Macs (thanks to Vista) and I still think windows 8 is a great OS.

But the hate for vista was also overblown. Windows 8 is fine once you install classic shell, and Vista was fine after sp1. So hating one but not the other is terribly inconsistent.

Hey, it worked!

They have pretended to backtrack on what everybody hated but didn't actually backtrack in order to mislead people. Don't be a corporate warrior.

Irobot82

Why do people want the classic shell? What purpose does it have? Have nobody heard of pinning things to your taskbar?

What exactly can't you find?

Just simple shit that I could easily pull up in the start menu on previous Windows. I hate having to exit the regular desktop to get to different programs, or right clicking to see "all apps" which I could to in a flash previously. I just hate the design of this thing. They're trying to make tiles like a damn tablet when that's not the beauty of a PC.

Lol people who literally cant see the giant desktop button. Ten minutes and I knew everything that I needed to adjust. Far less time than OSX or Linux, so it really cant be that different.

Just moved to the 8.1 preview, not too bad. I actually kinda want to remove the start button, since its just redundancy. Oh well, its pretty improved otherwise.

I do miss flock selecting start tiles when using touch though....

Damian.

Banned
Because people don't want to pin 20 things to their fucking taskbar o_O

Pin the extra stuff to the start screen just like you did with Windows 7.

Oh noes!!! It looks different and it's disorienting that it takes me to a full screen environment. My brainz can't comprehend what happened. Windows 8 sucks!!!1!

The blind hate is amusing me, thanks for the laugh.

Sethos

Banned
Pin the extra stuff to the start screen just like you did with Windows 7.

Oh noes!!! It looks different and it's disorienting that it takes me to a full screen environment. My brainz can't comprehend what happened. Windows 8 sucks!!!1!

The blind hate is amusing me, thanks for the laugh.

Yes, enjoy your full screen start menu.

OMG SO AMAZE! SO FUTURE!

Damian.

Banned
I don't enjoy it or hate it, my brain is simply above that of a toddler and I don't get confused of scared of something different.

Sethos

Banned
I don't enjoy it or hate it, my brain is simply above that of a toddler and I don't get confused of scared of something different.

You must teach us pleps how to be like you, what an amazing guy you are - Why aren't you like a scientist or a biochemist? Because with those brain skills I can't believe you are just sitting here on NeoGAF.

Jesus Christ ...

Damian.

Banned
I'm simply a traveler showing people when positives of something new far outweigh the negatives that they hang so dearly on. Common sense, man.

Irobot82

Because people don't want to pin 20 things to their fucking taskbar o_O

Steam, Firefox, Origin (blah), NMM, and that's really all that's needed. Oh and the return can be accessed instantly by pressing the windows key. Oh CRAZYNESS!!!!!

Have you ever heard someone other than yourself saying "If you have a different opinion than me, then you must be a moron!" and thought they sounded intelligent?

Sethos

Banned
Steam, Firefox, Origin (blah), NMM, and that's really all that's needed. Oh and the return can be accessed instantly by pressing the windows key. Oh CRAZYNESS!!!!!

Wait, you are now telling people what to prefer and what to pin?

Man the arguments are getting desperate.

Oh and some keyboards don't ship with a left side windows key meaning you have to hit the right one which is a bitch, Oh CRAZINESS!

Irobot82

Wait, you are now telling people what to prefer and what to pin?

Man the arguments are getting desperate.

The salt is delicious. I could care less man. I got windows 8 and it works great, and I get a free upgrade and more DX features. Have fun with your start menu.

Damian.

Banned
Have you ever heard someone other than yourself saying "If you have a different opinion than me, then you must be a moron!" and thought they sounded intelligent?

If the other opinion is ignorance to something? Definitely.

I never used the term moron, that is demeaning and shouldn't be welcome. Ignorance on the other hand is someone not knowing about something. Don't put words in my mouth.

The salt is delicious. I could care less man. I got windows 8 and it works great, and I get a free upgrade and more DX features. Have fun with your start menu.

Is how i think about it.
I would use linux on laptop if it didn't kill battery time that much faster then win 8 and make the fans spin 100% and it seems you can't adjust fan speeds in my laptop on linux or win 8.

Dev tools on linux are pretty cool. Still VS is king :p
Just imaging people that need to type stuff on linux and VIM is the default text editor :p

so sad that they keep evolving the crappy Dx API, nowadays hardware is massively faster/better than DirectX could ever show, PC gaming is definitely strongly capped by this.

How is it strongly capping PC gaming potential?

Do you think a massive migration to OpenGL will give PC developers the ability to suddenly untap that power?

Theonik

That's good for you I guess?

Still Direct3d is the better of the two in terms of the API and the documentation for it.
OpenGL's API is pretty comparable and once you get going easier to work with actually. Documentation is also not really a problem these days as there is plenty of documentation for both these days. As to why DX is still used more it's probably because it's "the norm" rather than anything else.

Do you think a massive migration to OpenGL will give PC developers the ability to suddenly untap that power?
It will make their lives easier in terms of platforms to target their games on at least.

If the other opinion is ignorance to something? Definitely.

I never used the term moron, that is demeaning and shouldn't be welcome. Ignorance on the other hand is someone not knowing about something. Don't put words in my mouth.

Calling people the definition of a demeaning word isn't actually different from using said demeaning word.

Sentenza

I actually would expect, at least at first, some struggle to catch up with DX in performances.
That doesn't change that in the long term it would be better for everyone.
Especially because what made OGL "inferior" is not some inherent flaw, as much as the fact that they were just abandoned to themselves, while DX got massive investments.

It will make their lives easier in terms of platforms to target their games on at least.

I get the benefits of non-platform specific APIs, I was just curious how DirectX was crippling PC gaming when it comes to performance on modern hardware and what was the alternative.

I actually would expect, at least at first, some struggle to catch up with DX in performances.
That doesn't change that in the long term it would be better for everyone.
Especially because what made OGL "inferior" is not some inherent flaw, as much as the fact that they were just abandoned to themselves, while DX got massive investments.

I feel the same way.

Top Bottom