• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 11.2 revealed

cripterion

Honest question for those who have Windows 8 for a desktop PC (not bashing).
What use is metro for you?

I've got 8 at work and I honestly can't find one use for it that replaces something I would rather use the desktop for.

I'm really not bashing, I just can't see the appeal when almost every app in metro feels like a dumb downed (in terms of options) app that mimics desktop functions.

So far the most use I've had out of it was for running my music in side snap ... but even then I'd rather use something like Musicbee which allows me to do so much more. Same with twitter apps, tweetdock allows me to do way more at this stage and that's just docked inside a chrome tab.

My experience with Win 8 has been Win 7 with a better search function but a rather annoying shell that seems to pop up more than it should. Which in itself is fine, considering I didn't pay for it as the Work supplied it, so not really have any remorse of it.

I created tiles for my most used applications, so I don't mind booting to the metro welcome screen. After, I got stuff setup the same as my windows phone with news, weather, mail, pics, etc... Easy access and get the info needed without even launching my web browser.

For the rest I just use it like win7, except that I have a taskbar on my 2nd monitor. Actually, most of people's gripes with win8 disappear on a multi monitor setup. One monitor boots on desktop while the other on the metro interface here.

Twinduct

I use it mostly for at the glance stuff from different feeds, be it weather/tweeter/fb/etc..

I tried doing that at the start. But became less and less of a go to thing for me ... mainly due to something like Tweetdeck.

To be fair though, I don't use Facebook that much and weather is constantly being thrown at me via my phone.

The only thing I use Metro for is the badass Minesweeper reboot and using Oblytile to pin extra apps I sometimes use, but don't want cluttering my taskbar all the time. I've also used it for Netflix a couple times.

First time hearing about Oblytile. Gonna check it out. Although the search functionality is decent enough to at least make the tile thing for me completely unnecessary. Honestly though the search is really awesome and completely replaced 'search everything' for me.

Just wish there was more 'function' the start screen. The search plus the desktop bar completely makes that part of metro useless for me.

I created tiles for my most used applications, so I don't mind booting to the metro welcome screen. After, I got stuff setup the same as my windows phone with news, weather, mail, pics, etc... Easy access and get the info needed without even launching my web browser.

For the rest I just use it like win7, except that I have a taskbar on my 2nd monitor. Actually, most of people's gripes with win8 disappear on a multi monitor setup. One monitor boots on desktop while the other on the metro interface here.

I think the use of Win 8 really does come out more when you're actually inside the ecosystem (ala Windows Phone or Surface).
I'm not too sour about the 'boot to desktop' thing. It's like one button to press.

Vestal

Gold Member
I tried doing that at the start. But became less and less of a go to thing for me ... mainly due to something like Tweetdeck.

To be fair though, I don't use Facebook that much and weather is constantly being thrown at me via my phone.

First time hearing about Oblytile. Gonna check it out. Although the search functionality is decent enough to at least make the tile thing for me completely unnecessary. Honestly though the search is really awesome and completely replaced 'search everything' for me.

Just wish there was more 'function' the start screen. The search plus the desktop bar completely makes that part of metro useless for me.

If I had a touch screen on my desktop I would probably use it even more so than now.. I do enjoy using IE10 for it as well. Its a pretty elegant solution.

cripterion

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497663

Honestly this thread sold me a bit more on Win8 (besides the fact that it was recommended to me because of the better dual monitor support).

Twinduct

If I had a touch screen on my desktop I would probably use it even more so than now.. I do enjoy using IE10 for it as well. Its a pretty elegant solution.

Yeah completely. Touch would completely make metro awesome though. Getting a leap motion and hoping that would make me love it. Although I imagine most of my 'hate' comes from just seeing it as an unnecessary shell, from a personal way of using a desktop and when comparing it to the way I would use a Win 7 machine.

I still need to adapt to IE. Web design has made a bitter man against it.

Honestly this thread sold me a bit more on Win8 (besides the fact that it was recommended to me because of the better dual monitor support).

Oblytile is probably one of the best things about Windows 8. My Start Screen looks amazing because of it. It looks dreadful without it.

Thanks will check it out.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
I moved to W8 PRO X64 last year and i don't regret one bit spending the money in this.
The thought of going back to W7 never crossed my mind, i'm simply loving it so far, and 8.1 will make it much better.

Grief.exe

All i know is what vie seen for myself in my job. Had a few W8 laptops, most recently just yesterday, that had boot problems and needed startup repair to be run, i havent seen an OS have so many issues with a boot loader since windows 98. Ive seen brand new W8 laptops straight out of the shop BSOD or have othe errors that are completely unrecoverable from without a reinstall. From what ive seen, i wouldnt trust it as far as i could throw it, which is probably pretty far in fairness.

I had that exact issue the first time I did a fresh install of Windows 8.

The boot loader was so broken that I couldn't do anything. Just did another fresh install.

Haven't had an issue since, but its funny that here is exactly what is happening.

I would get Windows 8 but they still charge too much for it. Bring it down to like $49.99, then I'll bite.

It was $15 at the start of the year. That is when I picked it up.

Xbudz

8.1 does sound like they are addressing a lot of the problems. I'll wait and see if they also address the backwards compatibility issues, if they do then I may just take another chance with Win 8.

Hey, I'm curious which programs or games were giving you compatibility issues, I would be happy to test them on my Windows 8.1 machine and get back to you.

Figures. Microsoft always has been forcing people to upgrade to their "new OS". Many companies are still on XP. Good luck.

Yeah, I know the one thing I do a lot of on my work PC is play videogames. It's going to suck not having DX 11.2 support while using Word.

I never thought this would happen, but after having windows 8 for a few days, it's a lot better than people let on. 7 is still loads better for a simple reason: you can explore practically anywhere in windows 7 with either a mouse or a keyboard. Put the two together, and you've got a very efficient system. In windows 8, you have to use both to get anywhere, and this causes some problems. I should not have to type in "control panel" to get to the control panel. That's the worst part. Snappy system on my 240GB ssd, which I love.

Also, I decided to stay with my 460 for a while until the newer graphics cards with more ram start coming out to be more competitive with the consoles. So maybe the 880 or 980 or something idk.

So, really this doesn't affect me all that much, but yeah, really sucks for you guys. :/

Xbudz

Honest question for those who have Windows 8 for a desktop PC (not bashing).
What use is metro for you?

• The Twitter app is solid. It gives notifications no matter what you're doing in Windows.
  • I really enjoy the Podcasts! app. I discovered some I didn't know about.
  • Live tiles are cool, it's an efficient way to get more info about whatever you like at a glace... Emails, weather, social media.. new podcasts. Just press Start and follow your interests.
  • Free Achievements from "Xbox" games. Many games in the store are free and can be linked to your Xbox Gamertag.

That's all I can think of at the moment- but it's certainly more interesting than the oldschool Start Menu, yet it works just as well.

In windows 8, you have to use both to get anywhere, and this causes some problems. I should not have to type in "control panel" to get to the control panel. That's the worst part. Snappy system on my 240GB ssd, which I love.
:/

You don't have to, Windows key plus X brings up a system menu with access to all of your admin stuff. It's incredibly fast to use.

iZbutTTYLFvE3.png

Xbudz

In windows 8, you have to use both to get anywhere, and this causes some problems. I should not have to type in "control panel" to get to the control panel. That's the worst part.

Right clicking the lower left corner gives you quick access to Control Panel.. you could easily pin it to the taskbar or even the Start Screen. Not hard, just different. It's change, and not necessarily for the worse.

edit: late

xemumanic

So it is, I didn't even know about that. Thanks.

Yeah, super useful. I didn't know about the keyboard shortcut, so we'll call that a returned favor.

I'll bet that just like DX 11.1, when IE 11 comes to Windows 7, because it probably will, we'll get the non-Win8 specific elements. Not that DX 11.2 is really going to amount to anything anyway. Seriously, who cares, it won't amount to a hill of beans anyway.

Damian.

Banned
MS really needs to have a proper tutorial upon installing Windows 8 explaining the new desktop shortcuts and the power user menu. Their one screen tutorial of the mouse moving to the upper right of the screen several times borders on useless.

Yeah, super useful. I didn't know about the keyboard shortcut, so we'll call that a returned favor.

I'll bet that just like DX 11.1, when IE 11 comes to Windows 7, because it probably will, we'll get the non-Win8 specific elements. Not that DX 11.2 is really going to amount to anything anyway. Seriously, who cares, it won't amount to a hill of beans anyway.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. .2 really isn't going to be huge. Besides, there's probably features that would be hard to bring to an older system. Tbh I don't blame them for this.

Just be glad it isn't DX12, guys.

Still, my point stands about windows 8. It's not as efficient as it could be. Having a mix could be pretty cool.

The whole full-screen thing kills productivity. I didn't get 8GB of single stick ram so I could eventually upgrade to 32GB for nothing. I really would like to multitask, thank you very much.

MS really needs to have a proper tutorial upon installing Windows 8 explaining the new desktop shortcuts and the power user menu. Their one screen tutorial of the mouse moving to the upper right of the screen several times borders on useless.

Not to mention annoying. They could have put quite a bit more useful info in that space of time.

Guri

Most of the complaints I've seen about Windows 8 can be fixed, if you have the patience to do it just one time after you install it.

I hate the Start Screen and I want to boot directly to Desktop!

Well, for 8.0, you can use third-party software, like Start8 (which I use and it's $5 each license) or Classic Shell (which is free). You can have both the Start menu and boot to desktop back. If you don't like third-party software, 8.1 can boot directly to desktop. It doesn't have a Start Menu, but hey, bear in mind that I didn't want a third-party software first and now I love Start8!

I don't like any of the Metro apps!

Then you're like me, at least for now. I never actually use one of them and I never even see them with the help with Start8.

I do like some Metro apps, but I hate that I can't use them in windowed mode.

For that, we have ModernMix!

I hate the Charms Bar!

So do I. And there's a registry hack for disable the main shortcut that activate it (mouse to the corner of the screen). It still can't be fully disable, but the way you activate it would be going to corner of the screen and then up.

I hate that I need to go to the Charms Bar to shutdown/restart the computer!

Yes, me too. That's why both Start8 and Classic Shell have the old shortcuts on the Start Menu as well. You can also put a tile for both (and more) actions on the Start Screen.

I hate the Lock Screen!

Can be disabled forever.

I hate the divided by categories search on the Start Screen!

That will be over on 8.1, thank God!

I hate that I need to open a metro Control Panel!

You actually don't. The old Control Panel is still there.

I hate that I can only access system tasks using the Start Screen!

On desktop, there's a shortcut (Win Key + X/right-click on the bottom left corner) that has most of the main functions. On 8.1, there will be shutdown and restart there too.

I hate that Aero Glass is not there anymore!

I did too, until I got used to it. Also, it was heavy on your PC. Have you ever noticed that sometimes on Windows 7, it got disabled sometimes for a few minutes? It was because of that.

I had some compatibility issues with 8 at launch!

So did I. I have none of them now. Maybe it was driver-related? And yes, old games too.

But what do I actually get that I don't have on 7?

Let's just talk about desktop here. You'll notice performance improvements everywhere. For example, I did use Vista for two weeks on my notebook before 7 launched (it had that thing that you would get 7 for free). Most things were already fixed by that time, but I did notice many improvements on 7. The same thing now. 8 is a faster and more reliable system.

Herne

I hate that Aero Glass is not there anymore!

I did too, until I got used to it. Also, it was heavy on your PC. Have you ever noticed that sometimes on Windows 7, it got disabled sometimes for a few minutes? It was because of that.

The only time I've seen Aero disabled is when a game that is too old to support it launches. I really doubt it disabled because it was system resource heavy. And just how heavy is it, really? I'd like to see how much memory and processor use it's taking up.

Win 8.1 looks like a big improvement, I'm going to install next week hopefully. Give it a chance.

I'm doing the same tonight. I've been holding off on it since Funcom games doesn't seem to run well on Windows 8, but since I've overcome my mmorpg addiction (I still love you Age of Conan) it's not a really big deal anymore. I actually quite liked Win 8 except for a few annoying things, and it looks like MS has improved it a lot, so 8.1 here I come.

Guri

The only time I've seen Aero disabled is when a game that is too old to support it launches. I really doubt it disabled because it was system resource heavy. And just how heavy is it, really? I'd like to see how much memory and processor use it's taking up.

It happened to me frequently, just with Chrome and Steam (but not any games). And I have a pretty good PC, with 16 GB of RAM, i7 2600k and a 7970. About tests, if you search Google, there are some of them, I think. That's why many tweaks for 7 suggest that you disable it.

Herne

It happened to me frequently, just with Chrome and Steam (but not any games). And I have a pretty good PC, with 16 GB of RAM, i7 2600k and a 7970. About tests, if you search Google, there are some of them, I think. That's why many tweaks for 7 suggest that you disable it.

Weird, my pc is less powerful than yours (i5 2500, 12GB, 6870) and I've never had the issue, even when running Firefox with several tabs, a video and a resource-intensive game. I love Aero's effect, and Windows 8's solid colours just look really poor next to it. I don't like Windows 8 anyway, so it's not as if that's the only thing keeping me back >_>

shoes

Neo Member
Its a piece of shit that falls over at the drop of a hat. The amount of W8 laptops ive seen in work that have catastrophic OS failures or just refused to boot into the OS is ridiculous.

Number of crashes on my Win 8 rig that weren't related to overclocking: 0

Guri

Weird, my pc is less powerful than yours (i5 2500, 12GB, 6870) and I've never had the issue, even when running Firefox with several tabs, a video and a resource-intensive game. I love Aero's effect, and Windows 8's solid colours just look really poor next to it. I don't like Windows 8 anyway, so it's not as if that's the only thing keeping me back >_>

I got so used to it that I didn't know it was because Aero was a resource hog. I had it with my old PC too (Dual Core E7400, GTS 250 and 4 GB RAM) and it happened with different installations. I gotta say that Windows 8 look is better than Windows 7 Basic, so that helped.

About not liking 8, if it is because of something I listed, I think you should give it a chance, especially after 8.1 is released. If it's only a matter of taste, like Firefox vs. Chrome, there's not much to do.

cripterion

I'll say it again but for me my biggest issue with Win8 is the thumbnail cache bug. You shut off or restart your pc and after opening a folder heavy with images, video files or icons, all your thumbnails will have to load again. The cache constanly refreshes upon restart of your system.

I got lots of space so I should be able to have a cache file as big as I please... This issue was in Win7 but you could fix it by making changes to the explorer authorizations. Now nothing works for Win8, previous fix makes your explorer randomly crash and after 1 week my thumbnails reset again anyway (don't know if it's tied to the cache size).

wildfire

Banned
This just in microsoft, no one cares and no one will buy your garbage OS for it.

I was already considering it before I heard about DirectX since they are putting in a proper Start button in 8.1 and there are new features in Windows 8 that are something to have over Windows 7.

Reliability History
It would save me money on licensing Total Uninstall

RAMDisk
No need to shop around for 3rd party solutions if it is robust enough.

Better MultiMonitor Support

It's not much and it hurts that XP mode was lost for compatibility with older games but it's looking more decent now. Vista's problems was the way it used up resources that made you unproductive. Win 8 also makes things unproductive with the removal of the UI that made the desktop environment manageable but they are fixing it now.

Most of the complaints I've seen about Windows 8 can be fixed, if you have the patience to do it just one time after you install it.

I hate the Start Screen and I want to boot directly to Desktop!

Well, for 8.0, you can use third-party software, like Start8 (which I use and it's $5 each license) or Classic Shell (which is free). You can have both the Start menu and boot to desktop back. If you don't like third-party software, 8.1 can boot directly to desktop. It doesn't have a Start Menu, but hey, bear in mind that I didn't want a third-party software first and now I love Start8!

3rd party software shouldn't be something required for something so basic and important.

Guri

I'll say it again but for me my biggest issue with Win8 is the thumbnail cache bug. You shut off or restart your pc and after opening a folder heavy with images, video files or icons, all your thumbnails will have to load again. The cache constanly refreshes upon restart of your system.

I got lots of space so I should be able to have a cache file as big as I please... This issue was in Win7 but you could fix it by making changes to the explorer authorizations. Now nothing works for Win8, previous fix makes your explorer randomly crash and after 1 week my thumbnails reset again anyway (don't know if it's tied to the cache size).

Have you tried this?

EDIT: Also, the first comment has a solution that may work.

3rd party software shouldn't be something required for something so basic and important.

For what? Boot to Desktop? That's back on 8.1!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I moved to W8 PRO X64 last year and i don't regret one bit spending the money in this.
The thought of going back to W7 never crossed my mind, i'm simply loving it so far, and 8.1 will make it much better.

I paid for W8 upgrades on both my PC's. I'm back to W7 now. For multimedia and gaming it was a disaster in our house.

Theonik

Takes about 128MB worth of VRAM iirc.

Top Bottom