• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

Just got gifted it. :D

So, any must have mods for this game? F1 2010 has a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised. One to remove the piss filter is surely #1.

Looking forward to playing it with my wheel tomorrow.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Just got gifted it. :D

So, any must have mods for this game? F1 2010 has a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised. One to remove the piss filter is surely #1.

Looking forward to playing it with my wheel tomorrow.
this game doesn't really need any mods, any modding you do is just for fun with this game.

Diablohead said:
this game doesn't really need any mods, any modding you do is just for fun with this game.
I see Race Department has some lighting ones, which I'll definitely need to try out. They make F1 2010 look stunning.

Do I have you on Steam, Diablo? I need ya for some F1 2010/Dirt 3/F1 2011!

1-D_FTW

Gully State said:
How's the wheel support in Dirt 3? Specifically for the Driving Force GT? It wasn't very good for Dirt 2...

For PC? G27 is fantastic for Dirt 2 and 3. Hard to believe the Force GT is that much worse. Might want to play around with the settings, though. They tend to need some customization.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I see Race Department has some lighting ones, which I'll definitely need to try out. They make F1 2010 look stunning.

Do I have you on Steam, Diablo? I need ya for some F1 2010/Dirt 3/F1 2011!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/DiabUK

I can agree F12010 needed lighting mods up the wazoo, but the dirt 3 lighting stuff is just optional, try the game as it is first you will be surprised.

snoopeasystreet said:
The fact that I can't gold a triangle without buying the DLC is madness to me. Sort of puts me off the single player.
I was told that you can still get a full gold achievement without dlc but I do hate how it de-golds the triangles, I am all for dlc content to be part of the main game but as extra stuff to the side or it's own triangle in this case.

some screens i got, love the weather effects
OPWOq.jpg

9iu4v.jpg

VwVHv.jpg

Hggtv.jpg

Well it's certainly a lot different to F1 2010, that's for sure. Had trouble staying on the road with no assists on and to put it kindly I was guessing what gear to go in half the time, haha.

Quite fun, but I hate the presentation. Ugly menus, annoying voice-overs and 2 minutes in they're advertising DLC. Just fuck off.

1-D_FTW

Foliorum Viridum said:
Well it's certainly a lot different to F1 2010, that's for sure. Had trouble staying on the road with no assists on and to put it kindly I was guessing what gear to go in half the time, haha.

Quite fun, but I hate the presentation. Ugly menus, annoying voice-overs and 2 minutes in they're advertising DLC. Just fuck off.

LOL

Finally released yesterday that the dude wasn't calling out gears you could go up to. It seemed every time I trusted him, I would go too fast and crash a corner. So finally, while driving a 60s car, it dawned on me the car didn't even have a 6th gear. Wish there was an announcer who would call out recommended gears. I'm assuming 1-6 is some kind of grade scale.

1-D_FTW said:
LOL

Finally released yesterday that the dude wasn't calling out gears you could go up to. It seemed every time I trusted him, I would go too fast and crash a corner. So finally, while driving a 60s car, it dawned on me the car didn't even have a 6th gear. Wish there was an announcer who would call out recommended gears. I'm assuming 1-6 is some kind of grade scale.
6 = shallow, 1 = hairpin

I think you can set the driver in the options to advanced but that just throws more key words at you more then anything.

1-D_FTW

Diablohead said:
6 = shallow, 1 = hairpin

I think you can set the driver in the options to advanced but that just throws more key words at you more then anything.

Thanks.

1 - 6 is the advanced option. I think the other one trades numbers for what you just described: shallow, hairpin, etc.

LQX

I'm glad I got this game free. It is mess on the PC. So far after tooling around for more than a hour or so I have been able to play maybe 20 minutes of the game if that much because of problems and annoyances.

1-Does not start half the time. You seem to have to start GFWL first.
2-Assumes you have controller so you cant do anything in the options screen with the mouse which is cumbersome.
3-The fucking on unskippable annoying narration/tutorial for everything. This probably bigger than the other two. How the fuck they could think anyone would want to sit through them talking about features and modes is beyond me. I just want to jump into the game. Give me that option.

From what actually did play I liked it but it was such chore to get to the core game that I almost felt burnt out. People want less announces in games Codemaster, not more.

Zimbardo

i thought the game worked great. no hassle at all to set up ...works perfect with xbox pad, native support.

and it runs like a dream ...1080p, everything maxed out to the tit ...vsync on = 60fps solid.

LQX said:
I'm glad I got this game free. It is mess on the PC. So far after tooling around for more than a hour or so I have been able to play maybe 20 minutes of the game if that much because of problems and annoyances.

1-Does not start half the time. You seem to have to start GFWL first.
2-Assumes you have controller so you cant do anything in the options screen with the mouse which is cumbersome.
3-The fucking on unskippable annoying narration/tutorial for everything. This probably bigger than the other two. How the fuck they could think anyone would want to sit through them talking about features and modes is beyond me. I just want to jump into the game. Give me that option.

From what actually did play I liked it but it was such chore to get to the core game that I almost felt burnt out. People want less announces in games Codemaster, not more.
i feel dirt 2 was far worse with the stupid tutorial talking sessions. "this screen is where you select your car", me "no way! I've only played dozens of racing games dipshits." lol

Red

Zimbardo said:
i thought the game worked great. no hassle at all to set up ...works perfect with xbox pad, native support.

and it runs like a dream ...1080p, everything maxed out to the tit ...vsync on = 60fps solid.
Yeah, it runs better than Dirt 2 for me on a 5870 (60+ fps maxed). Dirt 2 used to run similarly, but for some reason performance has decreased with new drivers (down to 45-60 fps now).

I remember seeing a lot of complaints about Dirt 3's visuasl when it was first released, but I don't think it's a poor looking game in the slightest. The only thing that sticks out to me as disappointing is the lighting and vehicle reflections, which I remember being superior in Dirt 2. Could be wrong, though, haven't compared them side-by-side.

It's immediately better than Dirt 2 because there are no post-race sticker screens.

Ledsen

So is this game locked to 30 fps or something? I had all settings on high and got 29 fps average in the benchmark, then I put everything on medium and got... 31 fps average. Could anyone link to or give a breakdown of which settings to lower to get better fps?

Also, does D3DOverrider not work with this game? I'm getting tearing even though there's the little "ping" when I launch the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ledsen said:
So is this game locked to 30 fps or something? I had all settings on high and got 29 fps average in the benchmark, then I put everything on medium and got... 31 fps average. Could anyone link to or give a breakdown of which settings to lower to get better fps?

Also, does D3DOverrider not work with this game? I'm getting tearing even though there's the little "ping" when I launch the game.
D3D works fine for me and I have the game pretty much locked at 60 fps.

Ledsen

Stallion Free said:
D3D works fine for me and I have the game pretty much locked at 60 fps.

Yeah well to be fair, I'm playing on a laptop with a 5650, but it's still weird. So in that case, what I want to know is why my fps isn't improving more when I lower the settings. Also that's very strange about D3DOverrider, it definitely isn't working for me.

1-D_FTW

Ledsen said:

Doesn't work for me either (at least on medium detection). Was getting the "ping", but also had tearing. Checked off the v-sync in game to get it to stop. The fact Stallion isn't having issues makes me wonder if I should try upping the detection level higher.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I have it set to high detection on both Dirt3.exe and Dirt3game.exe because I was lazy and didn't feel like checking which one the game actually uses.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Epix said:
What types of controllers are you guys using to play this on the PC. Tried the keyboard....f that.

Logitech Driving Force wheel. Supports it natively, the game feels well.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
How do I stop the crashing? I edited the hardware config to ForceDirectX9-"True" or whatever but it still crashes.

Can't believe they didn't fix this from Dirt 2...

1-D_FTW

NameGenerated said:
How do I stop the crashing? I edited the hardware config to ForceDirectX9-"True" or whatever but it still crashes.

Can't believe they didn't fix this from Dirt 2...

Usually that fixes everyone's problem with crashes. Not sure what advice to give you.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yikes I'm at 17 hours played in less than a week. I blame those crazy afternoons of recent where we just play hours of rally and trailblazer. It's incredibly easy to lose track of time.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
1-D_FTW said:
Usually that fixes everyone's problem with crashes. Not sure what advice to give you.
Just to make sure I'm doing it right, it's Dirt3>System>hardware_settings_config and then <directx forcedx9="true" />

Right? I've done that and crashed in between the 2 Kenya stages in the first event twice in a row.

I mean, it's not awful, but it doesn't feel like the wheel is connected to the car (and thus ground) in the same way it does in other racing games I've used my wheel for.

Then again I thought Dirt 2 felt floaty as well, albeit on a joypad.

1-D_FTW

NameGenerated said:
Just to make sure I'm doing it right, it's Dirt3>System>hardware_settings_config and then <directx forcedx9="true" />

Right? I've done that and crashed in between the 2 Kenya stages in the first event twice in a row.

Documents - My Games - Dirt 3 - Hardwarre Settings - Config - directx forcedx9=true.

Meteorain

Stallion Free said:
Yikes I'm at 17 hours played in less than a week. I blame those crazy afternoons of recent where we just play hours of rally and trailblazer. It's incredibly easy to lose track of time.

13 hours here. Not really touched 1p though.

Those sessions are damn awesome man; we need to get more people on the Monte Carlo packs though!

InertiaXr

Meteorain said:
13 hours here. Not really touched 1p though.

Those sessions are damn awesome man; we need to get more people on the Monte Carlo packs though!

You guys are playing some rally online? I'd love to get into more of that, most of the Gaf guys I use to play with kind of all stopped, as did I :/ I don't have the Monte Carlo pack though, Steam ID: InertiaXr.

Gvaz

Banned
I have never hated GFWL more than I have now.

I just spent the last fucking two hours running Dirt 3 just to have GFWL keep disconnecting every 30 seconds. Oh want to upload that replay? *loses connection*

1259678466418.gif

My literal face

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The Tacoma is insanely OP in Trailblazer. The handling is godly and the acceleration is phenomenal.

Meteorain and I grabbed the Monte Carlo track pack since we were gifted the game (it makes it an easier pill to swallow) and it's been quite fun in multiplayer. Hopefully more of our driving crew will grab it because the area is so beautiful and the courses are so tense. It's fucked up it wasn't in the game for launch though.

1-D_FTW

Stallion Free said:
Meteorain and I grabbed the Monte Carlo track pack since we were gifted the game (it makes it an easier pill to swallow) and it's been quite fun in multiplayer. Hopefully more of our driving crew will grab it because the area is so beautiful and the courses are so tense. It's fucked up it wasn't in the game for launch though.

Best course in the game. They were clearly channeling Dirt 2 when it came to graphics and design on Monte Carlo.

Ledsen

So I tested changing the graphics settings around more... with everything on High, I get ~29 fps avg. With everything as low as it possibly goes or off if that's an option, I get... ~39 fps avg. So the difference between almost maxed out and completely bottomed out is 10 fps. That's extremely weird. I guess something is bottlenecking?

1-D_FTW

Foliorum Viridum said:
CPU would be my guess.

I had a post where I was going to tell him to install MSI Afterburner to monitor the GPU utilization and something like the ALL CPU METER gadget to monitor the CPU utilization, but then I remembered when F1 2010 launched and neither my CPU or GPU ever broke 65 percent utilization and my framerates were stuck in the 30s. Deleted the post. It's possible he does have a bottleneck, or it could just be a Codemaster's mystery for his rig.

1-D_FTW said:
Best course in the game. They were clearly channeling Dirt 2 when it came to graphics and design on Monte Carlo.
Yeah it's a fantastic track. Hopefully they'll also channel this spirit into whatever rally/Dirt game they make next.

speaking of monaco, the street race course by the habour reminded me of Sega Rally 2 so much when playing at night, especially with the fireworks too. 90's Sega would be proud! =)
modern sega would be like 'DUUUUUUUURRRRR'.... :(

Top Bottom