• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Darkdeus

Some of my Dirt Rally shots in 4k and ultra default settings. It actually runs at 30-40 fps at 4K but I definitely prefer to play at 1080p at 90-100fps. Let me know if there's too many shots in this post and I'll split them up or make them smaller.

Dirt Rally is definitely a worthy successor to Richard Burns Rally and I really hope Codemasters continues to support it. It's probably my favorite sim ever at this point. I hope they learned how useful the community feedback was as well so they can apply it to future games.

23027119604_1f382292c8_o.jpg

23546732382_8200fcef91_o.jpg

23629218246_61fdfa6761_o.jpg

23546739412_69eaa5487d_o.jpg

23635905366_133d902384_o.jpg

23033830854_0af0a610a3_o.jpg

23661975845_50a3b47b5e_o.jpg

23629233466_b37fde5677_o.jpg

23629263726_2dac760bda_o.jpg

Those are some excellent pics Darkdeus, thanks for posting those, the game looks gorgeous.

I haven't been following much since the original announcement, but I was under the impression the visuals weren't that much of an upgrade over Dirt 3. It looks a lot nicer here, but how do people feel about the visuals now? Does it feel like the true current-gen Dirt successor now? Or does it still look a bit dated?

I'll buy it eventually either way, Im mostly just curious at this point.

DD

Great pics, Darkdeus. But I believe your weather settings is on low instead of high, judging from that 4th pic with the snow falling.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Those are some excellent pics Darkdeus, thanks for posting those, the game looks gorgeous.

I haven't been following much since the original announcement, but I was under the impression the visuals weren't that much of an upgrade over Dirt 3. It looks a lot nicer here, but how do people feel about the visuals now? Does it feel like the true current-gen Dirt successor now? Or does it still look a bit dated?

I'll buy it eventually either way, Im mostly just curious at this point.

The visuals have always been above DiRT 3 since day one. I will say that the textures aren't too much over DiRT 3 but the models and lighting and effects are what really put it way above overall IMHO. The game looks utterly fantastic and even more importantly it runs smooth as hot butter. Very well running game engine wise. It's super impressive in motion.

Darkdeus

Thanks DD I've been enjoying your shots in the screenshot thread too! hmm I'll have to check the weather setting. I swear I had it on ultra but it does look low.

AllseeingEYE. The graphics are definitely an improvement over Dirt 3. The game looks really good from the cockpit. The tracks and environments are the best in any PC racing game imo. Damage and particle effects are fantastic as well. The lighting and rain effects could use some improvement but overall it's great looking game. The sound is just so good too. It really adds to the immersion and feel of the game. I wish Codemasters would add a screenshot tool. The game could look as good as Project Cars in screenshots if they added a freecam. The replays could be better too : /

Edit: Wanted to add that the game looks and runs really well on medium to high settings. I just got a gtx970 but I was using gtx470s in sli when I made these videos on a mixture of high/medium settings:

Finland is so fun. I love the jumps and how fast it is- https://youtu.be/JNJVnC6fEHA
I almost always hit that sign at 1:54!

Some Group B fun in Greece- https://youtu.be/A-TDUYLrpdc

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Perfect. Promoted you to owner so you can promote someone else to run this in case you don't really feel like doing it. :)

GKB

Yup!

EDIT: How many of you people are interested in participating, guys?

I'm in. Unfortunately, i'm a bit busy now, won't be able to play until December 20th at the earliest. Definitely interested though.

DD

I'm in. Unfortunately, i'm a bit busy now, won't be able to play until December 20th at the earliest. Definitely interested though.

What about some small events, just for testing, like a race a day then?

I'm all into longer stuff (a full season even!), but maybe this isn't the perfect time to do that, due the end of the year festivities and such. :p

I'm buying this sight unseen on ps4, but was wondering if they have any really long stages in this game? It looks like 19kms is the longest, but are there any double that length or do you think they'd even bother making ones that long?

GKB

I'm in, but you'll have to post instructions on how to join.

Also, only started playing last week, so go easy! :)

Join the Neogaf League, once the event is started, you'll be able to access it through the league option in main menu.

What about some small events, just for testing, like a race a day then?

I'm all into longer stuff (a full season even!), but maybe this isn't the perfect time to do that, due the end of the year festivities and such. :p

Sorry, i'm away from my gaming PC at the moment :(

That would probably make you busy though, setting up an event every day. If i were you, i would make it an event a week.

I'm buying this sight unseen on ps4, but was wondering if they have any really long stages in this game? It looks like 19kms is the longest, but are there any double that length or do you think they'd even bother making ones that long?

Unfortunately yes, the hillclimb course is the longest stage in the game.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i read somewhere that they can't do longer stage using the current version of EGO Engine.

Watevaman

All the current stages are listed in the OP, so nope, there's none that long. I'm not certain if they have any longer ones in the works at this moment, but as it stands, even the "long" courses @ 10-12km are enough to provide a good challenge. It doesn't take much to end your stage and it would suck to make it to the end of a 20km stage and hit a tree.

ShamePain

Banned
Codies need to drop F1 license asap and focus on their classic series and give them the same attention as Dirt Rally. I think the overwhelming positive feedback should give them a hint, they haven't had this much positive said about their games in like 10 years.

TheMan

Codies need to drop F1 license asap and focus on their classic series and give them the same attention as Dirt Rally. I think the overwhelming positive feedback should give them a hint, they haven't had this much positive said about their games in like 10 years.

I doubt the fat cats in charge at CM give a shit about positive feedback, they want sales.

I played this game at my local computer shop. Full setup with a G27 and a racing seat. It was good fun. Is there a tutorial in game or somewhere else for someone new to learn some race driving techniques that could help me play the game better. I plan on getting this and a racing wheel.

Robaperas

I played this game at my local computer shop. Full setup with a G27 and a racing seat. It was good fun. Is there a tutorial in game or somewhere else for someone new to learn some race driving techniques that could help me play the game better. I plan on getting this and a racing wheel.

No in-game tutorial, but there's this video that explains a lot of basics about rally driving. For me, the best way to learn is to start the career mode with the Mini or the Lancia, because at the speeds those cars can go, you have time to correct or brake, and when to brake or use the car's inertia to flick or turn.

DD

Hmm, weird. Racenet is either not working, or I'm just too dumb to set events to the league. Tried twice, but no dice.

Darkdeus

I would love to get back to participating in the Neogaf league. Short events would be best for this week though.

Some more 4k shots. This time with a little bit of sharpening and contrast from sweetfx.

23391833750_9b4500e347_o.jpg

23605046721_9de9642d81_o.jpg

23059354494_bf93eb466b_o.jpg

23661420926_49df864374_o.jpg

23319505229_6a8a24383e_o.jpg

23391832190_d420efa4be_o.jpg

23060814714_b86ff679b7_b.jpg

scrcrw

Alright, the new season of the NeoGAF League goes live in 10 minutes!
I asked DD to deputize me and managed to cobble something together.

Week 1 is a few short stages from Finland and Sweden in 60s cars.
Week 2 is 60s cars again on tarmac stages.
Week 3 is 70s cars on gravel in Greece and Wales.

That should last us over the holidays.
I picked the cheaper car classes to make it fairer and more inviting for newcomers. There is a "no owned cars" setting somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
Have fun!

DD

Alright, the new season of the NeoGAF League goes live in 10 minutes!
I asked DD to deputize me and managed to cobble something together.

Week 1 is a few short stages from Finland and Sweden in 60s cars.
Week 2 is 60s cars again on tarmac stages.
Week 3 is 70s cars on gravel in Greece and Wales.

That should last us over the holidays.
I picked the cheaper car classes to make it fairer and more inviting for newcomers. There is a "no owned cars" setting somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
Have fun!

Ayyyy lmao.

I was setting my times right now. Did a pretty decent first stage and then I hit a tree on the second one and was forced retired. The only mistake I've made. This game is a bitch. :c

scrcrw

So somehow our league defaulted to no owned vehicles (which apparently means no setup changes allowed) and no career mechanics (you won't be able to repair much damage at all). I definitely didn't see those settings...
The fairly challenging choice of stages might be my fault though. :) I expect someone to beat my mediocre times by the end of the weekend.

ascully

Joined the GAF league and ran the event, came second Cosmic have a look at the time difference between me and you lol. That 4th stage had me on the edge of my seat.

c0Zm1c

Joined the GAF league and ran the event, came second Cosmic have a look at the time difference between me and you lol. That 4th stage had me on the edge of my seat.
Saw that just a bit ago, haha! If only I hadn't spun out in one race.

rObit

Banned
Weird to see that this is finally "out". Those new stages are great, though. I find myself barely brushing the snowbanks and spinning into 360's. It feels really tough without being so ruthlessly punishing as some of the other stages. I'll jump in the league in a bit here.

Top Bottom