• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

scrcrw

You can always rely on the computer opponents for consistency:
kYqEPJo.jpg
To be fair, it was only 1 stage per event.

Reminder: The current event of the NeoGAF League is still going for another 3 days or so!

DD

Ok, guys, I need your help. I think I found whats causing my RX Fiesta infinite loading bug. Here's the thing: since forever I'm using the DS3 for the RX events, but then I saw on Reddit people saying that the DS3 and the Polo are the most difficult to handle from the bunch, so I decided to try the other ones. Then I discovered that if I chose the Fiesta, the race doesn't load, no matter the circuit I pick on custom events. Then I spent 350.000 to buy a Fiesta and see if it works on the FIA World RX championship on the career mode, and I faced the same bug. Always with the Ford Fiesta, no matter the livery, no matter the circuit.

But then I saw that today's daily event is a RX event with the Fiesta. So I decided to try, expecting the same bug I faced on the career mode and with the custom events, only to find that... it loaded just fine!

So I completed the race and got back to the custom events. Then I set it exactly like it was with the daily: Lydden Hill, Afternoon/rain, Easy AI. It loaded! But then I tried to set the IA on Very Hard, and there was the infinite loading screen again.

So Id like to ask you guys to try this, please: set a race anywhere you want on custom events, chose the Ford Fiesta and set the AI on Very Hard to see if it work, pls!

Id be grateful if some of you guys could be kind and try this. Thanks in advance! :3

scrcrw

I tried a few combinations of tracks, cars and difficulties in custom events, but only the actual Daily loaded for me.
Either this bug isn't very wide-spread or nobody is doing Rallycross against the AI.

DD

I tried a few combinations of tracks, cars and difficulties in custom events, but only the actual Daily loaded for me.
Either this bug isn't very wide-spread or nobody is doing Rallycross against the AI.

Wait, did this bug happened to you with cars other than the Fiesta? How weird... o_ô

Thanks for trying, btw! o/

Watevaman

Ok, guys, I need your help. I think I found whats causing my RX Fiesta infinite loading bug. Here's the thing: since forever I'm using the DS3 for the RX events, but then I saw on Reddit people saying that the DS3 and the Polo are the most difficult to handle from the bunch, so I decided to try the other ones. Then I discovered that if I chose the Fiesta, the race doesn't load, no matter the circuit I pick on custom events. Then I spent 350.000 to buy a Fiesta and see if it works on the FIA World RX championship on the career mode, and I faced the same bug. Always with the Ford Fiesta, no matter the livery, no matter the circuit.

But then I saw that today's daily event is a RX event with the Fiesta. So I decided to try, expecting the same bug I faced on the career mode and with the custom events, only to find that... it loaded just fine!

So I completed the race and got back to the custom events. Then I set it exactly like it was with the daily: Lydden Hill, Afternoon/rain, Easy AI. It loaded! But then I tried to set the IA on Very Hard, and there was the infinite loading screen again.

So Id like to ask you guys to try this, please: set a race anywhere you want on custom events, chose the Ford Fiesta and set the AI on Very Hard to see if it work, pls!

Id be grateful if some of you guys could be kind and try this. Thanks in advance! :3

Tried Lydden Hill Full, Afternoon/Rain, Very Hard AI with the Fiesta and it loaded fine. Then, I retired at the end of the second lap and the game crashed with a Visual Studio crash or something.

DD

I guess I'm finding all the problems I didn't see during my 130+ hours on Early Access program. Now I got stuck on an invisible hole in Norraskoga, on the weekly event.

https://youtu.be/LlUZ7cm2Y_w

Tried Lydden Hill Full, Afternoon/Rain, Very Hard AI with the Fiesta and it loaded fine. Then, I retired at the end of the second lap and the game crashed with a Visual Studio crash or something.

Shit!

DD

Will get these looked at tomorrow! Sorry for the bugs :(

Are you a Dirt Rally dev? If so, thank you for the attention on these problems. This game is bloody awesome, and we all want it to be even better.

Cheers!

Wow. This game is fantastic. It is already giving me some serious RBR chills/white knuckles. The career mode seems like it has some depth. Can't wait to start unlocking some of those Group B beauties. Just joined the NeoGAF League. Damn, good rally games are so fun. Such an intense form of racing.

kazinova

Dang I need to set my wheel back up and clean out my office so I can get back into this game (I thought I was going to move so I started packing things up).

Robaperas

I was running the second stage in the league and the game crashed on me, it froze, the screen went black, but I still could hear my co-driver. First time it crashes since I bought it in April. Weird.

Eridani

Man, this game is just so good. I really can't remember the last time I had so much fun with a racing game. It's kind of a shame that no one is really talking about it.

I also joined the GAF league, and I'm quite satisfied with the result I got. The time was pretty bad, but I'm just happy that I managed to finish the event without crashing, since that's how most of my career events end up.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows of any other leagues that would be at least somewhat beginner friendly (or just some good leagues in general). I don't really care all that much about finishing last, so any decently good league that I could actually play without owning expensive cars would be good.

Toying with buying this as two mates have it and I've always liked my Rally games.

And a T150
Anyone got this wheel?
Is it supported yet?

Last I saw in 0.9 it was supposed to be supported but still not listed

Watevaman

The great thing about crashing midpoint every time you practice is that you have the first half of the stage memorized by the time you get to the second half!

Put in my first league entry. Poor time, but I had a lot of crashes. Was killing it at the start of my career with my Mini Cooper, then I jump in the GAF league and drive like a dolt. Maybe next event I will put in a better showing. This game is awesome.

Also, holy fuck going from the Mini Cooper to the Lancia Stratos!!!! It was like learning a new game a gain. So much more fun and wild to control.

Also, holy fuck going from the Mini Cooper to the Lancia Stratos!!!! It was like learning a new game a gain. So much more fun and wild to control.

The Stratos feels so much like "easy mode" in the 70s class lol, I think it's because it's MR. I've started using the Opel Kadett just because it's a bit less stable.

undu

Incredibly misguided PCGamer review: https://archive.is/OmmUs

Have an taste of the review:
The cars look different, sound different, but they feel incredibly similar and lacking any real, unique character. They have similar weight, similar grip, similar gear ratios. Swapping from a '70s rear-wheel-drive Stratos to a 2010 Fiesta will come with faster times and a more responsive, stable car, but it's not enough, and cars in the same groups are barely distinguishable.

This may explain it:
Anyone waiting for a new Richard Burns will need to carry on waiting.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The cars look different, sound different, but they feel incredibly similar and lacking any real, unique character. They have similar weight, similar grip, similar gear ratios. Swapping from a '70s rear-wheel-drive Stratos to a 2010 Fiesta will come with faster times and a more responsive, stable car, but it's not enough, and cars in the same groups are barely distinguishable.

Translation: No matter what car I picked, I kept driving off the side of the mountain. This game is stupid.

GKB

Incredibly misguided PCGamer review: https://archive.is/OmmUs

Have an taste of the review:

This may explain it:

Oh wow haha, is he even playing the same game as the rest of us.

The lack of any sort of precarious feel when flying over ice and mud is an absolute shame, and the amount of forced assistance is a disappointment.

Didn't even bother to look at settings.

With all assists off, an invisible hand will still gently help keep the rear end of your car in check.

To be fair, he said he did. Still don't understand what he means by forced assistance though, i've certainly never had it.

DD

There's a fallacy among many sim players that states that a sim is only good and realistic if it is almost impossible to drive. By mentioning RBR, he's probably a victim of that.

There's a fallacy among many sim players that states that a sim is only good and realistic if it is almost impossible to drive. By mentioning RBR, he's probably a victim of that.

Definitely, most people massively overstate the supposed difficulty of controlling a car. I've played just about every modern/popular sim that's still available and I feel that R3E and AC are probably the most realistic in terms of road racing. iRacing felt too slippery to be real. It seems that people automatically think that difficulty = realism.

Watevaman

If Dirt Rally were any harder, I'd argue that it'd be no fun. It's got that perfect sense of "well, I crashed because I fucked up, not because the game was artificially pushing me towards that tree."

Oneself

The more I look at that game and the more I read about it, the more it slowly becomes one of my most anticipated game of 2016 among big names like Uncharted. April will rock.

c0Zm1c

That PCG review really has to be a contender for worst review of the year. A low opinion is fine, but saying things about the game that are simply not true is not. They should pull it and get someone who is more capable - or doesn't have an agenda against the game, or whatever the reason was for writing such rubbish - to review the game.

TJP

Martin Robinson of Eurogamer and Ravsim are the only "professionals" that are worth reading. The Ravsim article on iRacing's McLaren is how all reviews should be.

The PC Gamer review reads like someone who wants WRC 5's gameplay.

The user reviews on Steam tell me Codmasters have created a well made game that the rally community wanted.

paskowitz

Oh wow haha, is he even playing the same game as the rest of us.

Didn't even bother to look at settings.

To be fair, he said he did. Still don't understand what he means by forced assistance though, i've certainly never had it.

Clearly he did not bother trying a RWD Group B car at one of the Sweedish stages at night...

Makikou

The PC Gamer's writer who did the review has been raging on twitter and everyone is just saying that people are only fanboys etc etc and that he should not care.

Just wow.

DD

The people on Reddit found his steam account. Apparently the guy had played for just more than 3 hours, lol.

DD

I've read some of your comments and thought PC gamer gave Dirt Rally 63/100 or something and it's actually 80/100.

It's not about the score. It's about the reviewer saying that the cars and surfaces all feel the same, ant that there's invisible assists preventing the rear of the car to slip. Everyone who actually plays this game knows that this is bullshit. And apparently this guy have played this game for just three hours.

Hakkelus

It's not about the score. It's about the reviewer saying that the cars and surfaces all feel the same, ant that there's invisible assists preventing the rear of the car to slip. Everyone who actually plays this game knows that this is bullshit. And apparently this guy have played this game for just three hours.

Oh, ok, fair enough. Seems like a pretty badly made review, all things considered.

c0Zm1c

The deputy editor for PCG has posted in the comments section for the review defending it, stating that the reviewer was selected for his experience in the sim racing genre, that he himself fully trusts the reviewer and his perspective, and claims the reviewer logged most hours in the game on PCG's press acount. :\

That's quite disappointing really, that they're choosing to defend a review with obvious inconsistencies between what was written about the game and what the game is actually like to play, and makes it difficult to trust their reviews as a whole.

I wanted to see what the guy's response to driving a powerful RWD car was, I tweeted the following to him:

floor it around a hairpin in the 037 THEN tell us about how much it "collects itself"

Aaand he blocked me. Now I know I said it rather passive aggressively/sarcastically (and I intended to do that), but surely someone who makes such public works should be able to take criticism when what they said is objectively wrong?

I've read great things about this game in VR, anyone here tried it with the dk2?

I might take the plunge and buy it just for that, I miss some good old rally game.

DD

I think I'm gonna leave the "Advanced Fog" thing off. I really don't like what it does the the graphics, and it stands in the way with too much mist. :p

scrcrw

The next event of the NeoGAF League has started! It's the perfect way to work out some review related anger. Watch out for the very christmas-y atmosphere on the last stage.

If you're interested in watching some of the Dirt Rally stages driven in real-life, you might want to check out the free month of WRC+ available this weekend (via Reddit).

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If Dirt Rally were any harder, I'd argue that it'd be no fun. It's got that perfect sense of "well, I crashed because I fucked up, not because the game was artificially pushing me towards that tree."

Man, I've been playing since the first day of early access, and I would still say I'm only average at best with this game. I constantly rank about midway in the online events, there must be some seriously good drivers out there.

This week's weekly is all in Sweden, man do I still find Sweden tough, lol.

DD

So what's the point with wager events? I still don't get it. I either just get my money back or I lose part of it if I don't do well.

oipic

So what's the point with wager events? I still don't get it. I either just get my money back or I lose part of it if I don't do well.

Yeah, the balance of the wagers seems to be skewed toward the quicker drivers; for those (very) slow folks like me that often finish in the bottom third of the dailies (or somewhere in the middle of the second, on a good day), the risk/reward incentive doesn't really add up. Nice little earnings for the consistently quick guys, though, I suppose?

ruttyboy

In career do the AI driver's times 'map' to your performance or is it just me?

I seem to come 2nd/3rd every time
I don't crash
, no matter the car or league, missing first by the tiniest of margins. Also, I've noticed that if I totally write off the car, most of the AI have technical issues listed after them on the following results screen, if I restart and don't total it, very few of them have an issue...

I can get promoted fairly easily, but have yet to win a rally!

DJ_Lae

In career do the AI driver's times 'map' to your performance or is it just me?

I seem to come 2nd/3rd every time
I don't crash
, no matter the car or league, missing first by the tiniest of margins. Also, I've noticed that if I totally write off the car, most of the AI have technical issues listed after them on the following results screen, if I restart and don't total it, very few of them have an issue...

I can get promoted fairly easily, but have yet to win a rally!

I beat the first few leagues early on in the game's development so I don't know if anything has been tweaked since then, but I've been butting my head up against the Masters championship for the last two or three attempts I've made - I've gotten third to fifth in each section, generally, but no higher. And, weirdly, no lower.

Last set of races I did one of the AI magically dropped five spots after the last race so that I was able to be bumped up to 3rd.

Some of the issues are my own, certainly, as I do crash occasionally as I find I have to push myself a little more than I'm comfortable with on certain tracks or else I have no hope of coming close to the top times. But whether I make it through perfectly or crash a lot, the ultimate position doesn't seem to be affected much.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it does seem weird.

Kind of wish the wager mode was better explained. No idea what "top tier" was. I didn't realize it was a PVP even where I would be going up against everyone's time. No way in hell I would have wagered that. It seems like the risk to reward it really poor. I, like a fool, wagered most of my money and finished bottom tier. Oh well. It was only about two events worth of winnings. Playing with 18% bonus and doing well in my first two leagues has given me enough money to always buy my next car before I get promoted and get the highest tier mechanics. I love driving the Lancia Stratos so much.

So I load up Dirt Rally for the first time since hillclimb, not only do i suck at the NeoGAF League event on my controler because im rusty, (waiting for my wheel)... but the game still has that unbrearable ENGINE SLOWDOWN where time distorts when the framerate dips below 60 and it completely ruins any controller inputs like steering and braking/accelerating. It's like the game hitches for a second then time slowly decompresses from the hitched frame back to normal speed over the course of 2-3 seconds.

Anyone expereinced this, ive had this since day 1 of Early Access and still ahve it. Running a Phenom2 x4-940BE (stock @3GHz) with 4GB DDR2-800 and a GTX 770-2GB. (1080p, happens at every preset, low to ultra) it worsens with lower framerates, happens at same parts of a stage. and the ONLY way to minimize it (although not completely) is to run the game at ULTRA LOW to keep it at 60fps as much as possible.

I've tried to run D3D overrider to minimize FPS drops but the game wont launch with it on so i have to disable it and run NVIDIA's driver-level Vsync (hate tearing)

Robaperas

So I load up Dirt Rally for the first time since hillclimb, not only do i suck at the NeoGAF League event on my controler because im rusty, (waiting for my wheel)... but the game still has that unbrearable ENGINE SLOWDOWN where time distorts when the framerate dips below 60 and it completely ruins any controller inputs like steering and braking/accelerating. It's like the game hitches for a second then time slowly decompresses from the hitched frame back to normal speed over the course of 2-3 seconds.

Anyone expereinced this, ive had this since day 1 of Early Access and still ahve it. Running a Phenom2 x4-940BE (stock @3GHz) with 4GB DDR2-800 and a GTX 770-2GB. (1080p, happens at every preset, low to ultra) it worsens with lower framerates, happens at same parts of a stage. and the ONLY way to minimize it (although not completely) is to run the game at ULTRA LOW to keep it at 60fps as much as possible.

I've tried to run D3D overrider to minimize FPS drops but the game wont launch with it on so i have to disable it and run NVIDIA's driver-level Vsync (hate tearing)
I turned ground cover off and it fixed some slowdowns in Germany, that way I can run everything @high or ultra on my crappy fx 6300/260X rig.

Top Bottom