• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Domstercool

Will this game get a retail release on consoles?

It is in UK at least

11212025-3664348790031804.jpg

Yea for the Rift I set my resolution to 3200 x 1800p via DSR downsampling and no AA. I then turn shader level to low/off. I keep the textures and anisotropic filtering at the highest but turn ground cover off, mirrors off, SSAO off, etc. I think I left trees at high and cars at high or medium. With these settings I get 75 fps at all times and it's very clear and the car and track still looks good graphics wise.

Thanks, I've been messing around a bit and discovered that SLI is broken sadly.

I'll try downsampling too, thanks!

scrcrw

Apologies if this is out of line, or has been covered elsewhere previously, but my Steam friend leaderboards are a bit barren - I have a few Steam buddies, but not many that play DiRT Rally.

Would anyone like to be my Steam friend in the interest of having a more populated friends list in-game?
Great idea! Here's my profile if anyone wants to add me.

Eridani

They said that they definitely want to achieve 60fps on consoles and will push the graphics as high as possible while maintaining 60fps. I don't think they confirmed 1080p anywhere, and given that they are prioritizing fps, it might have a lower resolution. That said, the game is not all that graphically demanding, so 1080p is definitely possible.

InertiaXr

So far I've driven the Lancia Fulvia to start with, then done a championship with both the Stratos and BMW E30, going in order by classes in the game menu. I'm not sure a Group B car is necessarily the right next move though, any recommendations? I've liked all 3 of those cars so far, although the Stratos was a right beast to start with. I'm using a controller as well.

Robaperas

So far I've driven the Lancia Fulvia to start with, then done a championship with both the Stratos and BMW E30, going in order by classes in the game menu. I'm not sure a Group B car is necessarily the right next move though, any recommendations? I've liked all 3 of those cars so far, although the Stratos was a right beast to start with. I'm using a controller as well.

I'd choose a 4WD car just to change things up a bit, the Group B cars are always fun to drive.

Makikou

After a fairly long break from DiRT Rally, been driving the R4 Mitsubishi Evo X on Professional Championship. 3 races in i'm sitting 2nd on points, after being 5th in Greece (really felt no upgrades hurt me huge here), 1st in Sweden (destroyed AI by 50 seconds on first stage which was the 11km long Ransbysäter and held the lead after that) and now 2nd in Germany, i got beat by the championship leader by about 5-15 seconds a stage. Just wondering if not having the final Turbo upgrade really hurts me that much.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I did a rally championship this afernoon and I realized that I'm still in the freakin Junior League for rally races. And I'm having a difficult time even placing too! Does anyone else find the rally races like MUCH harder than the rest of the game? It earns you peanuts for money too.

Robaperas

I regret the fact that I have added scrcrw as a Steam friend. ;'(

Is not that bad, if my times are under a minute of his, I feel less crappy.

These kit-cars... I'm always sliding all over the place when correcting after a corner. I'm 1st by +00:00.418 until scrcrw at the moment. Oh, what a feeling!

Makikou

Pushed like crazy after losing a lot of time on first stage and then on stages 2, 3 in total i lost approximately 2-3 seconds.

Ended up winning the last stage by 33 seconds. I love the Peugeot.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I can drive like that...

...for three or four seconds until I kiss a tree.

I have moments where I get into a groove or mindset where I actually do drive like that, maybe not as fast, but I'll hit turns perfectly and slide around a curve like it was meant to be, and then BAMMM I make a mistake and it all goes to hell in a hand basket within a second or two, and I'll end up hitting a bystander, or flipping my car down a bank, or smacking full speed into a tree. I think my "getting better over time" with this game is due to me making those mistake moments happen less and less rather than my actual driving skill getting better. Maybe both, heh.

Either way, I'm squarely just an average driver in DiRT Rally, hoping to become mediocre.

DD

I have moments where I get into a groove or mindset where I actually do drive like that, maybe not as fast, but I'll hit turns perfectly and slide around a curve like it was meant to be, and then BAMMM I make a mistake and it all goes to hell in a hand basket within a second or two, and I'll end up hitting a bystander, or flipping my car down a bank, or smacking full speed into a tree. I think my "getting better over time" with this game is due to me making those mistake moments happen less and less rather than my actual driving skill getting better. Maybe both, heh.

Either way, I'm squarely just an average driver in DiRT Rally, hoping to become mediocre.

Sounds kind of like me, heh.

*looks at the league and see no Mengy, but DAMN FINNS!*

InertiaXr

Is there a way to do custom championships with locations you pick? If not, then why does 'custom' championships really exist alongside the standard 'Career' championships? Just stage # selection, but not location selection?

Robaperas

Any tips on how to drive on Sweden? I don't know how to approach this event, do I drive like it's tarmac? I can't seem to slide through 3 or 2 corners.

Edit: I was doing relatively fine on the Finland stages for this week's league, but I managed to blow up my left front tire....
in the middle of both stages
. My Ford ended up feeling like a tank sliding on ice.

Makikou

Since everyone except 2 guys are running the BMW, i'll run the Ford. Would people be interested if i set up a video of doing the event?

DD

Really surprised this game isn't scoring higher, I wonder if it will even have a higher score than Dirt 3..Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things.

Despite the fact that this is the best rally game in a decade, and probably my favorite racing game in this meantime, I think that this is a fair score, cuz it really lacks more tracks, the rallycross and hillclimb modes are half baked, and it also lacks a driving school, which is not a problem to me but it is for a lot of people.

But no way in hell Dirt 2 and 3 deserve higher scores than Dirt Rally. :p

lem0n

Despite the fact that this is the best rally game in a decade, and probably my favorite racing game in this meantime, I think that this is a fair score, cuz it really lacks more tracks, the rallycross and hillclimb modes are half baked, and it also lacks a driving school, which is not a problem to me but it is for a lot of people.

It shouldn't, but it will just because of accessibility. More people will get more enjoyment out of Dirt 2/3 just because of how easy it was to boot it up and kick ass. Some of the reviewers will have a real hard time with Rally and will probably score it lower than it deserves.

Cyborg

I need this epic game on my ps4. When will this release

Edit: dirt 2&3 had nothing to do with rally like we know it and love it. It was mainstream crap

DD

It shouldn't, but it will just because of accessibility. More people will get more enjoyment out of Dirt 2/3 just because of how easy it was to boot it up and kick ass. Some of the reviewers will have a real hard time with Rally and will probably score it lower than it deserves.

I hope not, but it's possible. =B

I need this epic game on my ps4. When will this release

Edit: dirt 2&3 had nothing to do with rally like we know it and love it. It was mainstream crap

It's coming out in april, bro.

Lebneney

Banned
Okay so how low can I push this game to run on my MacBook Pro running bootcamp? There is no dedicated graphics card, just Intel HD 4000. I bought a new PC, but I still haven't received it yet and I'm itching to play this.

paskowitz

This x1000. Something like Dirtfish Rally School or Team O'Neil.

IMO the career mode grind is the most egregious oversight. There is no reason to punish those who don't have the skill. Careers should get harder as you progress, not scare/bore you right out of the gate.

DD

Shit, I think my VGA is dying, and with this f*ckin crysis the prices are skyrocket. So I guess I won't be able to play with you guys for a while. It was nice while it lasted. =/

DD

I too get artifacts in DR, some transparent/missing or black textures, stretchy ones, weird lights and some stuttering. In your case, could it be overheating?, does it happen in other games?

I had no problems while gaming. It happened this morning. I was chatting with a friend on Facebook and suddenly the Windows bar started showing artifacts. Then, a minute latter, the computer just freeze. I hit reset and there were artifacts everywhere through the boot screens. It just kept glitching and freezing. I took it off and cleaned it a little bit, put it back and there were artifacts again while booting, but once it got on the Windows screen, it worked normally for a while. I even managed to play three runs on Dirt Rally, but latter, simply browsing the internet or using Windows it started freezing again. I tried some stuff, but nothing worked. It's not overheating. It seems more like planned obsolescence, honestly. It came out of nowhere, working fine while gaming.

Robaperas

I had no problems while gaming. It happened this morning. I was chatting with a friend on Facebook and suddenly the Windows bar started showing artifacts. Then, a minute latter, the computer just freeze. I hit reset and there were artifacts everywhere through the boot screens. It just kept glitching and freezing. I took it off and cleaned it a little bit, put it back and there were artifacts again while booting, but once it got on the Windows screen, it worked normally for a while. I even managed to play three runs on Dirt Rally, but latter, simply browsing the internet or using Windows it started freezing again. I tried some stuff, but nothing worked. It's not overheating. It seems more like planned obsolescence, honestly. It came out of nowhere, working fine while gaming.

Damn... what a mess. I hope you can find a cheap but decent replacement.

Top Bottom