• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

What is the situation on co-drivers? I know going back to DiRT 3 you could choose between a woman and the typical Scottish sounding co-driver. Is it still the same here?

Makikou

What is the situation on co-drivers? I know going back to DiRT 3 you could choose between a woman and the typical Scottish sounding co-driver. Is it still the same here?

No, the game director Paul Coleman is a co-driver in real life and he has done all the co-driver pace notes for this game. They even use a motion rig with someone driving the stage & he reading the pace notes that go into the game :)

Robaperas

No, the game director Paul Coleman is a co-driver in real life and he has done all the co-driver pace notes for this game. They even use a motion rig with someone driving the stage & he reading the pace notes that go into the game :)

And he sounds disappointed when you're driving too slow.

DD

And if you are driving too slow, he sounds disappointed.

I love when he do strange things with his voice, like in Greece: Left 3 tssssss, right 1, bumps, intoO LeEft 4.

I miss this game. :(

But fuck it. I bought a GTX 950 and I put the blame on Codemasters and on this fine community.

Makikou

7BfF64F.png

I run this with T300RS (t300rs drivers 75%, 100%, 100%, 0%, 0%)

Anyone got any tips tuning the FFB? I find it really lacking coming from Assetto Corsa.

Compared the other Dirt and Grid games from Codemasters I've tried so far, the FFB feels like they upped their game significantly.

The settings from the guy above are close to what I'm running with my T500RS. Most important and also the most dominant slider is the "self aligning torque", after that try "tyre friction" and "suspension"... maybe even turn all the others completely off for a test run.

So my T300 recently broke so i've replaced it with a G29, I never really got on with this game on the thrust master but absolutely loving it with the Logitech! FFB is superb, so intuitive.

Changing wheel has got me so hooked on this....

Makikou

Seems like the April Console Release is bringing some new goodies to the game:

In addition to the content we’ve added during DiRT Rally’s Steam Early Access programme, you’ll now be able to enjoy some pretty substantial new additions to the game when April arrives. New Classic Mini and Super 1600 series will introduce the thrills of rallycross from the beginning of the game, and we’ve added 21 advanced rally driving video guides which will help gamers maximise their rallying performance.

For the first time in the game, you’ll also be able to experience the vintage full gravel surface at Pikes Peak – and for the first time, you’ll be able to do in the iconic Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak. Not only this, but three of Colin McRae’s most iconic liveries will join his Focus livery – allowing you to relive the exploits of a legendary rally champion and icon of motorsport. We’ve been waiting a long time to be able to bring you the Impreza 555 livery – and the iconic yellow and blue design is now back at its spiritual home with DiRT Rally.

• Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak
  • Renault 5 Turbo
  • Renault Alpine A110
  • Opel Corsa Super 1600
  • Peugeot 207 S1600
  • Renault Clio S1600
  • Mini Classic Rallycross

April 5th 2016.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Di8Tr6nmQ

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The Rallycross fix seems to work. I can load into races again. Not that I particularly missed it...

Unrelated: Hillclimbin' in the Mini

Woah, how did you get the Mini into Pike's Peak??? o_O

Eridani

This is some really great news. Tutorials were obviously needed for the console release and it's nice that they are finally confirmed (even if they were already leaked a while back). I'm also really happy that they are continuing with adding more content even after early access, although I wonder if that will continue even after the console release. The full gravel Pike's Peak and Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak are something I'm particularly excited about.

I guess since Codies has said something about adding cars when the console versions finally release, but have they said anything about new locales? I for one would love something like Japan, or especially Indonesia / Malaysia.

I guess since Codies has said something about adding cars when the console versions finally release, but have they said anything about new locales? I for one would love something like Japan, or especially Indonesia / Malaysia.

Africa with very wide tracks and super loose, thick sand (at least in some sections).

DD

Interesting read at Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...out-dirt-rally-on-console-thankfully-not-much

It appears that the handling on console is the same as on PC (it's not dumbed down) and it runs like a decent PC too. They are targeting 60 FPS on both consoles (which is not something new), but the PS4 will run at 1080p and the Xbox One will probably have dynamic resolutions (between 900p and 1080p, depending of the event), it seems.

Paul Coleman also says that they currently have no plans to deliver new tracks (says that it's a limitation with the engine), and that probably their next game will be Dirt 4, for people that were put off Dirt Rally because of its hardcore nature.

And, ah, there's a video with the PS4 version in that page.

Paul Coleman also says that they currently have no plans to deliver new tracks (says that it's a limitation with the engine), and that probably their next game will be Dirt 4, for people that were put off Dirt Rally because of its hardcore nature.

They ALWAYS say engine limitations when it comes to new tracks, dirt 2 and 3 both has the same excuses thrown out, why the fuck does a dedicated rally game also have the same issues???

Upsetting to hear codemasters, why is adding a new circuit such a limitation now? most bullshit news i've heard about dirt rally.

I also have little interest in Dirt 4 if they try and go the way of dirt 2 and 3 again, look at how poorly dirt showdown did.

DD

They ALWAYS say engine limitations when it comes to new tracks, dirt 2 and 3 both has the same excuses thrown out, why the fuck does a dedicated rally game also have the same issues???

Upsetting to hear codemasters, why is adding a new circuit such a limitation now? most bullshit news i've heard about dirt rally.

I also have little interest in Dirt 4 if they try and go the way of dirt 2 and 3 again, look at how poorly dirt showdown did.

Yeah, it's a weird answer. What exactly limits the number of tracks? I mean, they'll be there on you HDD, loading only when needed. So why is there a limitation with the engine? How does it work?

This is actually the very first game I'm willing to pay for DLCs, and it seems that most people around is asking for the same. Weird. Weird...

Eridani

As far as i know, Dirt Rally basically has the same engine limitations as Dirt 3. It was always meant as a pretty experimental, low budget game, which means they probably didn't have the budget to fundamentally change the engine.

As for why adding new circuits is an issue now - it isn't really. They just apparently decided it's finally time to fix the broken engine, which they have been complaining about for quite a while now. The Eurogamer article has this to say about it:

We could create a short-term fix and offer a couple of new locations over the course of a year - don't forget we had the art team creating tracks since [development on Dirt Rally began in] 2012, and we'd front-loaded a lot of stuff - rather than delaying the inevitable we're going to see what changes we can make to the engine so we can deliver the more challenging things we haven't done just yet. So there are no plans for the near future, because we want to fundamentally improve the engine to make something bigger and better

Basically: they finally decided it's time to move to an engine that isn't fundamentally broken, which they will probably want to show off in a more mainstream game first, and this is where Dirt 4 comes in. Hopefully it will be better than Dirt 3 and Showdown.

Mengy

Yeah, it's a weird answer. What exactly limits the number of tracks? I mean, they'll be there on you HDD, loading only when needed. So why is there a limitation with the engine? How does it work?

This is actually the very first game I'm willing to pay for DLCs, and it seems that most people around is asking for the same. Weird. Weird...

Agreed, I don't understand the reasoning either, seems odd to me. I was really hoping they'd be supporting DiRT Rally for a very long time, adding new tracks and regions and cars. I love this game so damn much that I'm willing to pay full price on day one for expansions and DLC. And ironically enough I have zero interest in a Dirt 4 now after playing DiRT Rally. I own DiRT 1, 2, and 3 but have not played any of them since buying DiRT Rally and I have no intention of ever playing them again.

If they will now be making Dirt 4 then I'll be skipping it, and if they someday make a DiRT Rally 2 then I'll be interested again. And if what we have now in DiRT Rally is all the game will ever be then I'll just be happy with it for now and bide my time until another serious rally game comes along which offers more of a pure rally experience, whether that be from Codemasters or someone else.

Very sad and disappointing news. :(

Robaperas

Maybe some modder will find a way to add more tracks or edit the existing ones (with pace-notes), to change things up. I'm happy with the game as it is, I'm about 110 hours in so I haven't mastered the tracks, maybe at 300 hours I'll have a different opinion.

DD

Agreed, I don't understand the reasoning either, seems odd to me. I was really hoping they'd be supporting DiRT Rally for a very long time, adding new tracks and regions and cars. I love this game so damn much that I'm willing to pay full price on day one for expansions and DLC. And ironically enough I have zero interest in a Dirt 4 now after playing DiRT Rally. I own DiRT 1, 2, and 3 but have not played any of them since buying DiRT Rally and I have no intention of ever playing them again.

If they will now be making Dirt 4 then I'll be skipping it, and if they someday make a DiRT Rally 2 then I'll be interested again. And if what we have now in DiRT Rally is all the game will ever be then I'll just be happy with it for now and bide my time until another serious rally game comes along which offers more of a pure rally experience, whether that be from Codemasters or someone else.

Very sad and disappointing news. :(
I'm kind of in that same boat. ;(

Maybe some modder will find a way to add more tracks or edit the existing ones (with pace-notes), to change things up. I'm happy with the game as it is, I'm about 110 hours in so I haven't mastered the tracks, maybe at 300 hours I'll have a different opinion.

Not that I'm not happy with the game the way it is (and it will get better with the next update). The problem here is that I love it so much that I wanted it to last forever. ;(

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
This game has got me back into PC gaming, I was tempted to wait for the XB1 version but just couldn't hold out any longer so jumped at the PC. Amazing game and IMO it looks amazing. Can't wait to spend more time on it, gonna go to my parents house after work to try and dig out my old wheel!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

• Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak
  • Renault 5 Turbo
  • Renault Alpine A110
  • Opel Corsa Super 1600
  • Peugeot 207 S1600
  • Renault Clio S1600
  • Mini Classic Rallycross

April 5th 2016.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Di8Tr6nmQ

i cant wait for this. are codemasters planning to add content after the game launches on consoles

Quick question for a non-Dirt player: Does this have a rewind feature like Forza? I'd like to get into it, but as a total newbie I'm hoping for a little help if I do.

Mengy

i cant wait for this. are codemasters planning to add content after the game launches on consoles

From the sound of it from Codemasters themselves, no, their will not be any new content for DiRT Rally after the console release this April:

Codemasters said:
"We could create a short-term fix and offer a couple of new locations over the course of a year - don't forget we had the art team creating tracks since [development on Dirt Rally began in] 2012, and we'd front-loaded a lot of stuff - rather than delaying the inevitable we're going to see what changes we can make to the engine so we can deliver the more challenging things we haven't done just yet. So there are no plans for the near future, because we want to fundamentally improve the engine to make something bigger and better."

It's the wost news I've heard in a very long time, as I was both ready and eager to plunk down lots of money for expansions and DLC on the game.

0racle

how many tracks are there?

I see there are like 9 locations. Does that mean 9 tracks?

I dont count chopping that up into smaller sections as a seperate track.

DD

how many tracks are there?

I see there are like 9 locations. Does that mean 9 tracks?

I dont count chopping that up into smaller sections as a seperate track.

It's something like this:

On rally:
Each country has 12 stages, but in reality there's only two very long stages per country, and you face them entirely or partially, coming and going in both directions, with variations in light (time) and weather conditions. So there's basically 12 big rally stages in total.

On rallycross:
3 locations with different layouts for the same track. Basically 3 tracks.

On hillclimb:
1 location (Pikes Peak), but with the current all asphalt version, the old mixed version (asphalt and gravel), the there's still one more to come, all gravel.

Mengy

But that's what rally is? There's only 14 irl WRC.

Yep. DiRT Rally does a good job of sectioning the tracks into smaller stages, I'm actually mostly happy with how they've done it and the content in the game. I was just hoping for a few more added down the road, especially for another hill climb or two, I mean at least Mt. Washington please.

DiRT Rally is still IMHO the best rally game ever made, I just wanted more of it and for it to continue growing, LOL.

DD

Yep. DiRT Rally does a good job of sectioning the tracks into smaller stages, I'm actually mostly happy with how they've done it and the content in the game. I was just hoping for a few more added down the road, especially for another hill climb or two, I mean at least Mt. Washington please.

DiRT Rally is still IMHO the best rally game ever made, I just wanted more of it and for it to continue growing, LOL.

Same here. Another thing that would make me a lot happier is a bigger number of RX tracks, specially with the new classes coming in. I'm not that much into RX as I am to traditional rally, but it's fun nonetheless, and I don't understand the point in doing something so half baked instead of focusing resources in the game's strong points, which is rallying. I'd trade all those RX cars and tracks for two more countries in rally mode, honestly.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
From the sound of it from Codemasters themselves, no, their will not be any new content for DiRT Rally after the console release this April:

It's the wost news I've heard in a very long time, as I was both ready and eager to plunk down lots of money for expansions and DLC on the game.

bummer.

well, i hope the game is successful enough that we'll get a sequel, even if i have to wait for dirt 4 first before getting rally 2.

InertiaXr

I feel basically the same as most of you guys. I figured this would be something that would get new tracks in the form of DLC for a quite long time, and it's, as somebody also said for themselves above, the first game I've ever actually wanted to buy DLC for. As much reasonably priced location/track DLC they put out I would have bought.

Compared the other Dirt and Grid games from Codemasters I've tried so far, the FFB feels like they upped their game significantly.

The settings from the guy above are close to what I'm running with my T500RS. Most important and also the most dominant slider is the "self aligning torque", after that try "tyre friction" and "suspension"... maybe even turn all the others completely off for a test run.
The FFB in Dirt is really poor imo, especially after Assetto Corsa. The 'suspension' feedback only seems to vaguely mimic the contours of the terrain. The self-aligning torque scales weirdly, it's super light and then loads up massively, very unrealistic. Tyre and Wheel friction do nothing for me as they're dependant on the damper(possibly spring) gain settings in the driver profiler.. which I have set to 0%, the recommended setting for most games. Tyre slip also seems to do nothing. I can't feel anything locking the brakes at all.

Phinor

A new season of the NeoGAF league starts soon. Watch out for Event 4. :p Congrats to Phinor for winning the last one!

Thanks! That last race was really tight, driving about as fast as I can go I managed to win stages with like 1-2 second gap. Not sure I can repeat that considering how many accidents I almost had.

LT Snoshado

I can't wait for the next update to come out!

This is currently my favorite game - I love how rewarding driving smart is and it's a blast (I mean frustrating as hell) making it to finals in Rallycross and making a tiny mistake that ends the entire race for you.

...unfortunately I just read about how amazing DiRT is with a wheel + VR setup is and I really, really want to try it with those things!

giphy.gif

My textbook finish!

If there's one thing I want to see improved in Dirt rally 2 it has to be car damage, more crumple zones, more weight to the rolling, it really needs to be a wreck if you crash like that.

That and crowds that react to you like in PGR3 and 4 (those games were too good and did not deserve to die, they had a ton of small details games just don't have today)

Cyborg

Does this game has or will have a local two player Championship? I always didm2 player Championship with my best friend in Cmcrae 2. Any chance to have the same option here?

scrcrw

Does this game has or will have a local two player Championship? I always didm2 player Championship with my best friend in Cmcrae 2. Any chance to have the same option here?
Nope, no split-screen or hot-seat options. You'd have to keep track of stage times manually.

Shaneus

That and crowds that react to you like in PGR3 and 4 (those games were too good and did not deserve to die, they had a ton of small details games just don't have today)
One of the things that shits me in Driveclub (that I'm sure they had covered in PGR4) is that during wet weather events, crowds don't carry umbrellas. Nor do they react to cars.

Top Bottom