• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

DD

Me driving the Delta S4 on today's daily event:

tumblr_n5kscqfA5S1sk8tobo1_500.gif

I turned ground cover off and it fixed some slowdowns in Germany, that way I can run everything @high or ultra on my crappy fx 6300/260X rig.

holy. fucking. shit.

how the hell did it work so well? Ran a medium benchmark with advanced Fog and Particle Shadows on and AF to Ultra = Average 50FPS, Min 36, Max 60. With Ground Cover off (same settings) Average 59.94 Min 56, MAx 63.

I mean i see now that the entirety of the stages are barren now where there used to be grass and shit that beautifies the terrain... but when i get a locked 60FPS with less than a HANDFUL of drops to 56FPS, I'll take it. Fuck your shittily optimized ground cover, Codemasters. FUCK IT

Now I can enjoy the game. thank you bro.

Anyone recommend a good wheel and pedals and shifter? I'm thinking about a G27 wheel/pedals, and a G25 shifter with an adapter (for dat sequential rally shifting feel)

Robaperas

holy. fucking. shit.

how the hell did it work so well? Ran a medium benchmark with advanced Fog and Particle Shadows on and AF to Ultra = Average 50FPS, Min 36, Max 60. With Ground Cover off (same settings) Average 59.94 Min 56, MAx 63.

I mean i see now that the entirety of the stages are barren now where there used to be grass and shit that beautifies the terrain... but when i get a locked 60FPS with less than a HANDFUL of drops to 56FPS, I'll take it. Fuck your shittily optimized ground cover, Codemasters. FUCK IT

Now I can enjoy the game. thank you bro.

No problem, it's frustrating to make just one part of the game look crappy to get 60fps, but at least it works.

Hmm, I get 60 fps no problem with ground cover on Ultra, but maybe I should see if turning that down or off is a better trade off to crank some other things to Ultra, like shadows. They looks so much better when smooth.

Robaperas

Hmm, I get 60 fps no problem with ground cover on Ultra, but maybe I should see if turning that down or off is a better trade off to crank some other things to Ultra, like shadows. They looks so much better when smooth.

The Germany update introduced the slowdowns for me, at every hairpin the framerate tanked hard, before that I could run the game on High and some options on Ultra easily. It's weird but at least is "fixable".

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yeah I don't get any slowdown at all on max settings (at least none that I can notice). I have GTX970 card though, maybe that's why.

Shadows on ultra and advanced blending destroy my fps. I'm only on a 670 though. I am thinking I might be able to get up to 120 fps if I drop ground cover and one other setting lower. I do love me some racing at 120 hz.

c0Zm1c

There is only one ultra demanding setting : advanced blending.
I can't even break 30fps with this on.

The impact advanced blending has on framerate has diminished since the initial release, though it is still demanding. It used to destroy the framerate on my system, single digits, but I now get an average of 40fps (min 25, max 50) with it enabled, with all other settings at max and AA at the highest setting - though I play the game with advanced blending off and only 8xMSAA for a better framerate.

Kezen

Banned
The impact advanced blending has on framerate has diminished since the initial release, though it is still demanding. It used to destroy the framerate on my system, single digits, but I now get an average of 40fps (min 25, max 50) with it enabled, with all other settings at max and AA at the highest setting - though I play the game with advanced blending off and only 8xMSAA for a better framerate.

I admit I have not tried it since the option was first introduced. The impact on IQ was too minimal for me to leave it on.

Advanced blending pulls frame rate from ~100-120 to ~40-50 to me. Everything else max.

Yeah, I dunno what makes it draw so much performance but it's nowhere near good enough to make up for the drop. It has probably the smallest impact in the whole game in terms of visuals. I normally get 110-140fps at max at 1080p, but this drops it to the same 45 or so that you mentioned.

The same PC can get around 50-60fps at max at 4K, there's no way advanced blending should be more impacting than quadrupling the resolution.

Kezen

Banned
Maybe an hardware limitation then, I recall Codemasters praising Intel's Pixelsync.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6863/intels-pixelsync-instantaccess-two-new-directx-extensions-for-haswell
This extension was used in a Total War game and GRID 2.

Intel claims that two developers have already announced support for PixelSync, with Codemasters producer Clive Moody (GRID 2) appearing in the Intel press release excited about the new extension. Creative Assembly also made an appearance in the PR, claiming the extensions will be used in Total War: Rome II

The first extension is called PixelSync (yep, Intel branding appears alive and well even on the GPU side of the company - one of these days the HD moniker will be dropped and Core will get a brother). PixelSync is Intel's hardware/software solution to enable Order Independent Transparency (OIT) in games. The premise behind OIT is the quick sorting of transparent elements so they are rendered in the right order, enabling some pretty neat effects in games if used properly. Without OIT, game designers are limited in what sort of scenes they can craft. It's a tough problem to solve, but one that has big impacts on game design.

Although OIT is commonly associated with DirectX 11, it's not a feature of the API but rather something that's enabled using the API. Intel's claim is that current implementations of OIT require unbounded amounts of memory and memory bandwidth (bandwidth requirements can scale quadratically with shader complexity). Given that Haswell (and other integrated graphics solutions) will be more limited on memory and memory bandwidth than the highest end discrete GPUs, it makes sense that Intel is motivated to find a smaller footprint and more bandwidth efficient way to implement OIT.

As far I understand it Nvidia's answer to that (and DX12's I assume) is ROV.
07627221-photo-nvidia-maxwell-raster-ordered-view.jpg

https://software.intel.com/en-us/gamedev/articles/rasterizer-order-views-101-a-primer

what the hell is advanced blending anyway and why are you guys worried about using it if its such a performance hog?

I'm been a hardcore PC gamer since 2005 and i tried to compare Dirt Rally with advanced blending on and off and in daytime stage in the woods and honestly i thought it muted the highlights of the foliage and almost blurred the foliage a bit, almost as if it had removed a shader effect preset in the foliage. (maybe its actaully removing a shader "side-effect" and i just happen to prefer it?)

c0Zm1c

I don't think anyone here is worried about using advanced blending. It's just a performance assessment of the setting when it's enabled.

This would be in a performance thread if the game had one but I don't think such a thread would get much use; there's not much to talk about regarding performance when a game generally performs really well, as this one does.

undu

what the hell is advanced blending anyway and why are you guys worried about using it if its such a performance hog?

I'm been a hardcore PC gamer since 2005 and i tried to compare Dirt Rally with advanced blending on and off and in daytime stage in the woods and honestly i thought it muted the highlights of the foliage and almost blurred the foliage a bit, almost as if it had removed a shader effect preset in the foliage. (maybe its actaully removing a shader "side-effect" and i just happen to prefer it?)

Advanced blending is actually used to blend the alpha textures, in AMD GPUs they're dithered by default and it's awful. :(

OK .. so this game has kind of gotten its hooks into me, (so much so that I'm considering taking on something like this for a side project over the next few years ... no experience with a even a mere screwdriver, but hey .. you gotta have targets eh? ... <sigh>)

Anyways... so I've been looking into a wheel setup. Does anyone have the T300 with this and what is it like FFB-wise? After some reading it seems like Thrustmaster has the better ecosystem for upgrades etc ... and anyone recommend a decent stand that would be able to house the wheel?

thanks, and happy holidays!

Watevaman

Is this game worth buying if my PC is only a i3 3.2GHz, and a 560GTX 1GB DDR5?.
Or should I wait for the PS4 version?

I'm running it on a Phenom II X4 955BE 3.2GHz, GTX 570, and 12 gigs of RAM at all high around 60fps @ 1080p, so you should be just fine.

I'm running it on a Phenom II X4 955BE 3.2GHz, GTX 570, and 12 gigs of RAM at all high around 60fps @ 1080p, so you should be just fine.

oooh! a phenom 2 brother! I'm a Phenom II X4 940 BE 3.0GHz, GTX 770(2GB), 2x2GB DDR2-800, all on a ASUS Crosshair i bought from Newegg in 2006, its a hybrid AM2/AM2+ mobo that i updated eventually with a fan-made 1402 Bios for Phenom II support (lol).

What are your temps? what mobo you running?

Sky Saw

Banned
Man going back to a pad after playing with the wheel for a while is rough, are there any settings to make it a bit easier? I looked up some but I didn't really notice any difference.

Eridani

Man going back to a pad after playing with the wheel for a while is rough, are there any settings to make it a bit easier? I looked up some but I didn't really notice any difference.

From what I've heard, most people recommend setting steering linearity to a low value (5-20) and sensitivity to a high one (80-100). Saturation should be kept at 100%, and the deadzones should be as low as possible so that you don't get any accidental movement (0-5).

With that said, I also didn't find the differences to be all that major. On a controller, you just have to be really gentle with all inputs, particularly when driving RWD cars.

Sky Saw

Banned
From what I've heard, most people recommend setting steering linearity to a low value (5-20) and sensitivity to a high one (80-100). Saturation should be kept at 100%, and the deadzones should be as low as possible so that you don't get any accidental movement (0-5).

With that said, I also didn't find the differences to be all that major. On a controller, you just have to be really gentle with all inputs, particularly when driving RWD cars.

Helped a lot, thanks.

DD

Halfway through the final stage of the monthly event I fell from the road. This is SO me that I had to laugh. :c

God damn, is the new league event not supposed to have pace notes enabled?

Edit: Lol, some how my settings glitched and I lost all pace notes. Only 25 sec off the lead on stage 1 though. Not too bad driving blind. Glad I exited and checked a regular stage before continuing.

Robaperas

God damn, is the new league event not supposed to have pace notes enabled?

Edit: Lol, some how my settings glitched and I lost all pace notes. Only 25 sec off the lead on stage 1 though. Not too bad driving blind. Glad I exited and checked a regular stage before continuing.

That's a really great time considering the circumstances; I went off the road twice on the third stage, I'm still getting used to the use of triggers for acceleration and braking.

JP

I'm desperately awaiting the PS4 version April and have been watching loads of videos on YouTube.

I was wondering if the details on the title page is up to date? I ask because I know they were adding new stuff to the to the early acces version and I wondering if the new content has stopped now and what's listed thee is goingto be everything, as far as we know?

Thanks.

DD

I lost a week on the Gaf League because of the holidays. Sorry about that. :p

Anyway, I was doing the current events and found strange how hard is to fix the car on this league now. Is there a reason? I have all mechanics hired and all top level.

EDIT: shit. I did the two first stages without big mistakes, staying on the track, and then I came here to post these lines above. Then I got back to the game and decided to do the last two stages listening to some musice. HUGE mistake... ó_ò

I'm desperately awaiting the PS4 version April and have been watching loads of videos on YouTube.

I was wondering if the details on the title page is up to date? I ask because I know they were adding new stuff to the to the early acces version and I wondering if the new content has stopped now and what's listed thee is goingto be everything, as far as we know?

Thanks.

It's up to date.

Robaperas

EDIT: shit. I did the two first stages without big mistakes, staying on the track, and then I came here to post these lines above. Then I got back to the game and decided to do the last two stages listening to some music. HUGE mistake... ó_ò

Nope, bad idea. I tried to listen to a podcast while doing a casual sprint stage... it went horrible.

scrcrw

Anyway, I was doing the current events and found strange how hard is to fix the car on this league now. Is there a reason? I have all mechanics hired and all top level.
The league interface is still bugged. You can't change the settings for "Career Mechanics" (so everyone just has a level 1 crew chief apparently), "Owned Vehicles" and "Vehicle Tuning". It puts everyone on equal footing, so I'd say it's not really a bad problem. Not owning a 2010 vehicle shouldn't be a problem for this week's event. Just don't count on repairs between stages...

If anyone wants to take over setting events, let me know. Otherwise I can just keep going. Any feedback on event length/type?

ruttyboy

The league interface is still bugged. You can't change the settings for "Career Mechanics" (so everyone just has a level 1 crew chief apparently), "Owned Vehicles" and "Vehicle Tuning". It puts everyone on equal footing, so I'd say it's not really a bad problem. Not owning a 2010 vehicle shouldn't be a problem for this week's event. Just don't count on repairs between stages...

If anyone wants to take over setting events, let me know. Otherwise I can just keep going. Any feedback on event length/type?

Finding the time to play/improve is my issue at the moment, so I don't mind the short events. Would prefer not to have surface changes half way through however.

Also, is it possible to set up a repeatable event?

DD

Ah, that's fine. I didn't knew about that. =B

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Finding the time to play/improve is my issue at the moment, so I don't mind the short events. Would prefer not to have surface changes half way through however.

I actually love the courses that change surfaces throughout. Pike's Peak is still my favorite course in the game though, but then I've loved it in every game incarnation I've ever played too. I guess I just like hill climbs!

Even after all of these months though this game is still brutal. I was racing a championship last night, on the second to last stage, when I spun out on an ice patch and slid off the track, wrecking my Subaru, and with no restarts left DNC'd and didn't win a single dollar for all of my troubles! I still don't even have a car in every class yet, I really find it hard to earn money in this game to buy cars. Part of me kind of wishes I had a way to just unlock everything, I mean the game is challenging enough by itself in my opinion, but man at this rate it will take me literally years to unlock all of the cars.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Does anyone here have all cars unlocked yet? If so, hooowwww?????

ruttyboy

I actually love the courses that change surfaces throughout. Pike's Peak is still my favorite course in the game though, but then I've loved it in every game incarnation I've ever played too. I guess I just like hill climbs!

Even after all of these months though this game is still brutal. I was racing a championship last night, on the second to last stage, when I spun out on an ice patch and slid off the track, wrecking my Subaru, and with no restarts left DNC'd and didn't win a single dollar for all of my troubles! I still don't even have a car in every class yet, I really find it hard to earn money in this game to buy cars. Part of me kind of wishes I had a way to just unlock everything, I mean the game is challenging enough by itself in my opinion, but man at this rate it will take me literally years to unlock all of the cars.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Does anyone here have all cars unlocked yet? If so, hooowwww?????

Sorry, I meant within an event, so the first stage in Greece, then the second stage in Sweden for example, going from tarmac to ice in Monaco is fine :)

scrcrw

I have all the cars, fully upgraded, with millions to spare. Admittedly my time played is also over 350 hours. :)
Your best bet to make money quickly is probably still exploiting Hillclimb custom championships (up to 120k for 3 minutes of easy driving).

edit: Community average is still 2 cars owned, lol. Great progression system...
I've been thinking about wiping my save and see how quickly I could fill up the garage again, maybe with a no Hillclimb rule. :)

Got the game from a fellow GAFer for a fraction of its price, awesome deal.

Tried a bunch of benchmarks, all ultra 1440p gets me an average of 80fps; I'm trying to find the best setting for VR. Any tips?

Can't wait to play it with DK2 and my g27.

Robaperas

I have all the cars, fully upgraded, with millions to spare. Admittedly my time played is also over 350 hours. :)
Your best bet to make money quickly is probably still exploiting Hillclimb custom championships (up to 120k for 3 minutes of easy driving).

edit: Community average is still 2 cars owned, lol. Great progression system...
I've been thinking about wiping my save and see how quickly I could fill up the garage again, maybe with a no Hillclimb rule. :)

The unlock system is really grindy, I wiped my save 3 times or so (at every update) just to get a feel for the stages at the lowest levels. I get some decent amount of credits at the dailies or weeklies, but it's frustrating that you have to "cheat" the game to get more cars.

Also, that last stage of this week's league... holy shit.

Darkdeus

Got the game from a fellow GAFer for a fraction of its price, awesome deal.

Tried a bunch of benchmarks, all ultra 1440p gets me an average of 80fps; I'm trying to find the best setting for VR. Any tips?

Can't wait to play it with DK2 and my g27.

Yea for the Rift I set my resolution to 3200 x 1800p via DSR downsampling and no AA. I then turn shader level to low/off. I keep the textures and anisotropic filtering at the highest but turn ground cover off, mirrors off, SSAO off, etc. I think I left trees at high and cars at high or medium. With these settings I get 75 fps at all times and it's very clear and the car and track still looks good graphics wise.

oipic

Apologies if this is out of line, or has been covered elsewhere previously, but my Steam friend leaderboards are a bit barren - I have a few Steam buddies, but not many that play DiRT Rally.

Would anyone like to be my Steam friend in the interest of having a more populated friends list in-game?

This may not be of much interest to those with hundreds of hours chalked up already, because (a) I'm really just starting out with the game, and (b) I tend to be horribly slow (as attested by my times in the GAF league!)... but if anyone wants to add me, my Steam profile link is hiding just over there, in my GAF profile.

I promise to populate the lowly portions of your leaderboards, and offer baseline times that you can comfortably aspire to beat by minutes, rather than seconds.

Robaperas

Apologies if this is out of line, or has been covered elsewhere previously, but my Steam friend leaderboards are a bit barren - I have a few Steam buddies, but not many that play DiRT Rally.

Would anyone like to be my Steam friend in the interest of having a more populated friends list in-game?

Sure, it's always nice to see other people's time to feel great or even more frustrated.

Robaperas

Top Bottom