• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Robaperas

So I got this as a gift recently. I started playing the career mode and quit out of a few races due to being interrupted by people talking to me. I noticed that I didn't get enough points to qualify.

Now the next set of races are totally different tracks. Is it just shuffling races or am I continuing in career mode with "DNF" or whatever?

I'm wondering if I should start a new save or if it's something that can be recovered from.

You compete in different events/countries and depending on where did you finished points-wise, you get promoted to the next level. If you get a DNF, you just didn't score points on that event, but can still finish in the top 3 at the end.

Tommi84

I'm wondering if I should start a new save or if it's something that can be recovered from.

You started the championship that has 6 events. After all sixevents , you are either promoted to higher level (first three places) or demoted to lower level (last three places) If you quit from one event you still have five to go. As you are starting from the lowest level, there's no risk you will be demoted (which is also higly unlikely if you can keep on the road).

Chances are you will end up either in the first few positions 3-6, or totally in the middle. Either way, it's better to play further as before getting the hang of the game, it may take some time :)

Oneself

Let's hope it's not just the PSVR mode that gets "optimised for Pro".
I'd love something like a better draw distance / better shadows / less aliasing (and no tearing during snowfall).

Like barfing? (English is not my first language)

Yep thats what I mean - Driveclub was called the vomit comet in one review and lots of people say it makes them feel ill, but in that game you rarely leave the ground, don't slide that much and (I) don't crash that often.... Whilst Dirt Rally has you sideways and flying through the air and often has big impacts. I really hope the clarity is better than Driveclub VR (as thats something else that people say makes them feel ill) and it'll be interesting to see if they've managed to pull it off without the VR sickness issues. I've got pretty good VR legs anyway (nothing I've tried on PSVR has made me feel ill so far) so I'm looking forward to this but I'm predicting a few adverse reactions.

Kaji AF16

I bought this for Xbox One less than two weeks ago and it has been my most played game since then, even if I´m also playing a lot of Elite Dangerous simultaneously.

Great game. It blends a new level of realism for the Dirt series with an incredible sound and a relatively extensive car selection. It´s difficult but not unfair, and ultimately it´s a joy to play.

For the first time since Forza Motorsport 5, I find myself training to improve my times. I log in almost every day for the online competitions (and the money, since I want to complete my garage). Every car feels distinct, all of them are fun.

Grug

Great to hear they've got the WRC license too.

EDIT: Oh, just realised the license is Rallycross only. Ah well.

Grug

I would like to, but my brains won't let me believe that and then be disappointed.

One of the developers posted on the Playstation blog basically saying that they are totally retaining the driving realism/engine from Dirt Rally and that the challenge will definitely still be there for the Dirt Rally purists.

He added that there would be new features that would enable the more casual Dirt fans to manage as well such as a Rally School mode and the customisable procedural track generation being a great way to play on tracks that match a player's skill level.

ManeKast

Dirt Rally VR IS LIVE on PS4.

Bought the bundle. $69au.

YES. OMG. 43.31gb.

Full game. VR. Fully loaded: Ford, Mini and Rally Cross pack included.

Special Price until 27/2.

Onemic

Yeah, fucking ridiculous at this point. Sigh. And no I won't use revive.

Revive actually works perfectly tbh. It's something you set once and never have to worry with again, just load up the game like any other VR game after installing.

That being said, even though the issue no longer affects me due to Revive, it's still something that Codemasters shouldve added ages ago and frankly doesnt make much sense considering their history with Dirt Rally and the Steam community. Them adding PSVR support and Linux support but no Vive support just makes it even worse.

Seeing as this is on sale for $31, I keep hearing this compared to dark souls

Now, how possible is it to learn and get better? I dont know if Id describe myself as a racing fan. I loved burnout, liked driveclub, and Id get into more racers if I could find some good ones

I believe i have the patience to learn and improve and do want a technical/sim as I want to enjoy the little tweaks and tuning and all that

Another part of me is worried that I wont have much fun without a wheel

Kaji AF16

Now, how possible is it to learn and get better? I dont know if Id describe myself as a racing fan. I loved burnout, liked driveclub, and Id get into more racers if I could find some good ones

I believe i have the patience to learn and improve and do want a technical/sim as I want to enjoy the little tweaks and tuning and all that

It is very possible, even without a wheel. The game has a considerable learning curve but you can always begin with the easier cars and keep some assists on. I play a lot of racing games, but I found Dirt Rally very challenging at first: I crashed a lot, and I couldn´t beat even the slowest AI.
110 hours later I mastered most of the non-RWD cars, got every achievement in the game, and put several times into the global Top-100 (played on Xbox One).

Absolutely rewarding game. Try it.

mike6467

It is very possible, even without a wheel. The game has a considerable learning curve but you can always begin with the easier cars and keep some assists on. I play a lot of racing games, but I found Dirt Rally very challenging at first: I crashed a lot, and I couldn´t beat even the slowest AI.
110 hours later I mastered most of the non-RWD cars, got every achievement in the game, and put several times into the global Top-100 (played on Xbox One).

Absolutely rewarding game. Try it.

Yes yes yes. Do not start with a RWD car. Don't do it.

Otherwise play hyper conservatively. If you don't crash you'll do alright in the first championships. That's not as hard as it sounds, just, as you run your first races, never, ever go flat out. If you're playing with a controller feather the throttle and never depress it fully (I think this comes more naturally with a wheel). I'm only talking for a few races, but I really think learning throttle control/response is the biggest key to success in this game.

If you start getting through the tracks without crashing, you get a feel for the car (also, stick to one car to start). Pretty soon you learn when you can push it and when you can't. This was how I got good at RWD cars. Just going super slow and going slightly more aggressive as I felt more comfortable. I have a wheel, but play equally with both since sometimes I don't want to setup the wheel. I'm honestly probably better with the controller.

Dirt Rally is probably the most rewarding game I've ever played, and I've sank over 150 hours into it. It would've been more, but I started with a RWD car in early access and bailed on the game for 3 months before finding a proper starting vehicle. Don't do that :D

Hm thanks

I play hard games but I guess I get scared of how technical the game aounds

Is it for racing fans? I cant tell u much about cars, but I can learn a game just fine

jediyoshi

header.jpg

what a mess of cover art. looks like those weird custom made covers that bootleggers make

Jimrpg

Hm thanks

I play hard games but I guess I get scared of how technical the game aounds

Is it for racing fans? I cant tell u much about cars, but I can learn a game just fine

It's probably the best racing game I've ever played, in terms of physics, controls, gameplay, its a great all round package. I think a lot of people think its not really for them because after a few hours, they are still coming 5th or 6th, but people who stick with the game tend to find what parts they are driving well and parts they are not driving well and are able to continue to get better and faster. You'll see your times and placing do much better if you don't stack the car because there's a time penalty for crashing. Similarly the car is way faster if there's no damage.

You don't need to know anything about the cars to begin with, but you can learn along the way. You'll be a single car until you have the funds to buy other cars later on anyway.

The only real gripe I have is that the career mode is kinda bland, it just shows you the cumulative points after each race and you move to to the next level if you place in the top 3. Other than that, on the track, it is literally great in every way. There's probably more accurate driving sims like Assetto Corsa and more popular ones like Gran Turismo that have a collecting meta game, but Dirt Rally is just an awesome rally game and one that rally gamers have wanted for a long time.

Also the game is superb with a wheel.

Grug

F1 2016 and Dirt Rally both use the Ego engine right?

Why is it that Dirt Rally runs beautifully for me at full detail on 2560 x 1440 yet F1 2016 runs like arse (random periods of choppy frame rates) on the same system even at lower resolutions and detail settings.

Does my head in.

If you enjoy learning, progression and improvement, rather than coming first workout much effort, then it's for you.

Also, start with the Mini.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
This is on sale right now if anyone was thinking of picking it up. Going for $24.95 down from $84.95 (dollerydoos) so 70% off!!!!

Sarcasm

I am about to play this again, but my settings have changed. Many posts/pages back someone mentioned some controller changes that helps.

I can not remember what they were, anybody got a clue?

MadYarpen

I am about to play this again, but my settings have changed. Many posts/pages back someone mentioned some controller changes that helps.

I can not remember what they were, anybody got a clue?

+1, I'm about to jump in - could anyone share recommended PS4 controller settings?
Or are stock good enough?

I just bought this in the sale. What's the best way to approach this game? Dive straight into the career mode, or practise another mode first?

Makikou

I just bought this in the sale. What's the best way to approach this game? Dive straight into the career mode, or practise another mode first?

I suggest trying a car you want to buy in "single event" mode first.

Protip: Don't buy the Stratos in 70's class unless you know you are ready.

I suggest trying a car you want to buy in "single event" mode first.

Protip: Don't buy the Stratos in 70's class unless you know you are ready.

Thanks. I went with the Mini and already won my first race and event. I am so much fun with this game!!! Can't wait to exploring all the cars and tracks.

Tommi84

Thanks. I went with the Mini and already won my first race and event. I am so much fun with this game!!! Can't wait to exploring all the cars and tracks.

I have another tip: the game is designed in a way that you DON'T actually have to progress from the starter classes of the cars to high power ones. You are having fun with it Alpine A110 or Mini? Just progress with the difficulty levels and stick to the car.

Also, the WRC cars are kinda expensive ;)

Such great game bought it yesterday already put in some 7 hours been nailed to cross rally mode so intense and fun never experienced that before

A question:

I have close to 150k in money now and could buy a more expensive car instead of those 60th and 70th cars. When I do career mode rally, like the first "open" what cars will I face? Always a car from the same era/class as I buy? So I could potentially just finish cross rally and then purchase a high end rally car?

I thought it would be more like the GT series where u have to use certain type of cars etc.

Tempted to get a G29 for this game alone. Is Dirt4 simulation mode exactly the same as dirt rally?

Top Bottom