• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Guys, can anyone help me with this infuriating problem -

I'm running the game on an i5-6600 and 1070 on a G Sync monitor at 1440p and getting around 120fps mostly.

The problem is that occasionally (especially in corners for some reason) the frame rate drops to below 20fps for a second, which obviously causes me to crash and ruins my run.

Any suggestions? I've tried capping to 100fps with RTSS and this seems to help a bit, but doesn't eradicate it.

Help much appreciated!

I was having similar issues with my new GPU(1070) and new wheel(csl elite) combo. Things you should look at:

Do you have another monitor running? For some reason, some games don't like to play nice with multiple monitors at differing resolutions on the Pascal cards.

Update your wheel firmware. I was getting constant stuttering in all racing games when I got my new wheel, and didn't bother updating the firmware for a while because I figured stuttering wouldn't be affected by the wheel firmware, but after hours of troubleshooting, I updated and it worked flawlessly.

Sickbean

I was having similar issues with my new GPU(1070) and new wheel(csl elite) combo. Things you should look at:

Do you have another monitor running? For some reason, some games don't like to play nice with multiple monitors at differing resolutions on the Pascal cards.

Update your wheel firmware. I was getting constant stuttering in all racing games when I got my new wheel, and didn't bother updating the firmware for a while because I figured stuttering wouldn't be affected by the wheel firmware, but after hours of troubleshooting, I updated and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks for the suggestions - neither apply unfortunately. Using one monitor and playing with the newer Xbox One controller (the bluetooth one that doesn't need a dongle).

Thanks for the suggestions - neither apply unfortunately. Using one monitor and playing with the newer Xbox One controller (the bluetooth one that doesn't need a dongle).

What about Geforce Experience? I know having it enabled(shadowplay) can cause some other issues in this game, try turning it off and seeing if it helps.

Tommi84

Any active leages I can join? I searched and added a few, but for a week no races were made so I'm guessing they are no good :/

PS4 user here if it matters.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Any active leages I can join? I searched and added a few, but for a week no races were made so I'm guessing they are no good :/

PS4 user here if it matters.

Did you find any active ones? I'm also on ps4. I sent a request to the reddit one and the official twitter one, but haven't been accepted yet. Maybe I just need to wait longer than a couple of days, but I love the idea of participating in leagues with hundreds of people taking part.

Started the monthly rwd group b challenge and doing reasonably well by my own standards (~180th despite suffering a puncture and having to limp home at the beginning of the second stage), but would like to participate in similar competitions.

Edit: Found the Neogaf Ps4 community. Entry is moderated. Anyone know who's running it so I can send them a message here to let them know who I am?

Grug

Got this game as part of a bundle yesterday with a Logitech G29 racing wheel and shifter bundle (I had to choose between Dirt Rally and F1 2016).

Played for about 3 hours yesterday and got seriously bummed out at how inaccessible and beyond my skill level it was to the point where I was angry that I didn't get F1 2016 instead.

Historically I give up on hard games easily as I don't have much gaming time these days and don't want to spend it frustrated but have been forcing myself to be a little more persistent in the face of challenges lately (in all parts of life) and after nearly giving up on Crusader Kings II a few months ago, I pushed through and ended up falling in love with it.

So I watched a few YouTube videos for Dirt Rally beginners tonight and picked up some basic tips about managing your throttle, early braking, rally cornering techniques etc and gave it another go. I also switched to bonnet cam and wow what a difference. It's still freaking hard and requires levels of concentration that I don't normally harness but now not only am I actually finishing races, but I am semi-competitive finishing anywhere from 2nd-6th in the early career mode races.

And wow, it just FEELS great once you start to become one with the car. Haven't experienced this level of immersion in a racing game before although I'm sure my new wheel is helping with that too but for that 5 or so minutes of the race the world around me disappears and I am 100 percent in that rally car. I really got the wheel and shifter for Euro Truck Sim 2 but this game has now demanded my attention.

Now I have no doubt the game will start kicking my arse again as I progress further in the career and I start to ween myself off the assists (yeah I pretty much have them maxed right now *shame*) but geez I am stunned by how quickly I went from angry at myself for choosing it to being jazzed about my small level of improvement and wanting to buzz about it on a forum. Going away to the beach for 4 days tomorrow and am going to be jonesing bad for this game.

Sorry for the essay.

TLDR: I sucked at this game and hated it, then I got a little less sucky and fell in love with it.

Jimrpg

^ nice post. Always great to hear people enjoying this. It is hard but as long as you're there to enjoy the ride, it's a great game. I never mind too much about winning as long as I drive well (spoken like a loser I know).

You made the absolute right choice getting dirt rally.

ETS2 is also awesome with the wheel and map mods!

Game was on clearance at the local Target for $15. Been waiting a while on this game, but it's so great. Did some light tweaking to the controller input settings and it plays so well on PS4.

Dave_6

I have this on PC but haven't touched it in months; reason being last time I played was after a huge update and the FFB didn't feel good at all on my G27. Anyone have any recommended settings for the G27 or somewhere I can look for some?

Is it possible to play with a wheel but navigate menus etc. with a controller?

My wheel has no directional pad, just 6 buttons, so I have to use a keyboard in-between every race, which is ~4m away.

Grug

I am getting better at this game but I still can't develop a system for efficiently navigating hairpin turns in a FWD car.

What am I missing?!?! I basically come to a complete stop or take the corner at 20kph at best.

Should have picked this game up on BF when it was heavily discounted on psn, hopefully it comes again during the Winter sales. Hm also found a G29 during BF for 199$, perhaps I should have bought that. Guess the game is still enjoyable with the ds4..

Grug

Should have picked this game up on BF when it was heavily discounted on psn, hopefully it comes again during the Winter sales. Hm also found a G29 during BF for 199$, perhaps I should have bought that. Guess the game is still enjoyable with the ds4..

It's so much fun with the G29. Feels amazing.

Skinpop

so how do I get competent at this game? there seem to be so much stuff I need to know in order to pull off moves but I have no clue how to go about it.

I would have liked a sandbox training track where you can try moves over and over again with instructions.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so how do I get competent in this game? there seem to be so much stuff I need to know in order to pull off moves but I have no clue how to go about it.

I would have liked a sandbox training track where you can try moves over and over again with instructions.

Id love for a richard burns rally style "driving school". Maybe in the sequel (there eill be a sequel?)

Dinjoralo

so how do I get competent at this game? there seem to be so much stuff I need to know in order to pull off moves but I have no clue how to go about it.

Pretty much my dilemma. The tutorial videos are filled with too much real-world technical fluff that makes figuring things out on a pad more difficult, and there's no environment where you can get a feel for how the handling works. The game throws you into difficult courses right from the start and expects you to just know how to play. Like you're supposed to already have played the rest of the Dirt games extensively beforehand.

Eridani

I'm pretty bad at the game myself, so I'm perhaps not the best person to comment, but here's what I'd recommend:

- First of all, don't try to go fast. In this game, going fast means that you will crash, especially when you're new to the game. Focus on staying on the track instead. This is especially important with RWD cars - going full throttle with those will just immediately cause you to spin out.
- For some actual theory, this video and the matching article are a good intro. They cover the basics pretty well. I think they also added tutorial videos to the game at some point, but I've never watched them. The most important thing to understand is probably weight balance and how that effects turning. It's really not all that complicated, even if it sounds like it is at first.
- For practising, the tracks themselves are good enough imo. Greece and Wales are 2 pretty good all around locations with plenty of technical turns to train on. There's no penalty for failure really, so you can just keep practising as long as you want to.

Pretty much my dilemma. The tutorial videos are filled with too much real-world technical fluff that makes figuring things out on a pad more difficult, and there's no environment where you can get a feel for how the handling works. The game throws you into difficult courses right from the start and expects you to just know how to play. Like you're supposed to already have played the rest of the Dirt games extensively beforehand.

Playing the previous Dirt games would actually not help you at all, since they were much more arcadey.

Robaperas

I think the best way is just to start slow in the 60's cars, it doesn't matter if you crash or go off track, try to understand how the car will respond or behave in different curves; the game does drop you in at the deep end, but you can always practice in the free/single stage mode. My advice is just to keep practicing basic stuff until you can add more complex techniques, if you don't learn the basics you'll just get more and more frustrated.

NoPiece

Wow, picked it up for PC. Codemasters have really nailed the car feel in this game. It looks great (except the desaturated afternoon light), but mainly incredibly impressed with how they've managed to translate the feel of the connection of the car to the road. And the occasional disconnection from the road. :eek:

Is there any more course content available or coming? I've already run through the 6 Rallys, and Pike's Peak. Light content aside, definitely the highest quality racing game from Codemasters.

Grug

Ooh, almost picked it for 20€ on winter sale, thanks.

I can probably guess the answer already, but how do the cars handle with M&KB? Guess I can just forget about MP, at least?

Feathering the throttle and brake is a big part of the game and the lack of analogue control will make that impossible. There are assists that will get around that but you might want to get a cheap game pad off eBay.

Grug

Wow, picked it up for PC. Codemasters have really nailed the car feel in this game. It looks great (except the desaturated afternoon light), but mainly incredibly impressed with how they've managed to translate the feel of the connection of the car to the road. And the occasional disconnection from the road. :eek:

Is there any more course content available or coming? I've already run through the 6 Rallys, and Pike's Peak. Light content aside, definitely the highest quality racing game from Codemasters.

No new content coming it seems.

I bought this in the PSN Sale last week (£16!) and I'm so glad I did. Forgot just how much of a challenge rally is but also really rewarding.

The 1960s Mini is just lovely to drive.

I just wish they brought more DLC - I would love the Corsica Rally and some S2000 cars.

A slight annoyance is the way they've implemented the clutch for wheels. You can only have all or nothing. On WRC/Group A cars you should have Clutchless upshifts but need it on the way down...really annoying you can't do that.

Tailzo

Wish I would have known this while it was on sale on PSN. I have it on Xbox One but I would have double dipped if I knew it was getting PSVR support.

I just checked psn, and it was still on sale. Might be only EU though.

I just ordered the retail version though.

I feel like this is actually the much bigger news - literally game-changing for rally games.

the update to DiRT Rally will enable a game-changing second player to join in on the fun. Using a DUALSHOCK 4® controller, the second player will take the on the role of co-driver – using the social screen to understand when to send calls to the driver using the DUALSHOCK 4 buttons and touchpad

I've been jonesing for a game that has the feel of the legendary Colin McRae Rally 2.0, specifically its season mode and the car repair element between rally stages.

Does Dirt Rally capture the essence of that game? Actually, what rally racing game would be considered the modern day spiritual successor to 2.0? This game looks great but the entire package that is 2.0 was sublime.

So I got this as a gift recently. I started playing the career mode and quit out of a few races due to being interrupted by people talking to me. I noticed that I didn't get enough points to qualify.

Now the next set of races are totally different tracks. Is it just shuffling races or am I continuing in career mode with "DNF" or whatever?

I'm wondering if I should start a new save or if it's something that can be recovered from.

Top Bottom