• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

AmyS

Guys, for DiRT Rally, I want to go for the Thrustmaster T300 next week, and will probably end up orderong one online from Walmart.
Most online stores (Amazon, Gamestop, Walmart) show the T300 RS for $299, except for Fry's. I had hoped to get a deal there, signed up for email codes.
They don't seem to have anything for the T300, but why is Fry's regular price $399 ?

pIPpWvk.jpg

A few weeks ago:

If you are signed up to Fry's email codes, they have the T300/TX for $219.99 today.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204269973&postcount=1832

Been playing this for the first time today, damn it plays so well. So much better than the other recent Dirt games.

In my 2nd career event, with the AI on the easiest setting ('cos I'm a big chicken) I won it by 0.162 seconds. Which is some feat considering in my first event I spend half the time fishing my car from the trees.

AmyS

GAF recommendations needed.

So, Thrustmaster T300 and the T3PA-PRO Pedals (that come with spring + conical rubber brake mods), and are Thrustmaster products reliable these days ?

terrible

Banned
GAF recommendations needed.

So, Thrustmaster T300 and the T3PA-PRO Pedals (that come with spring + conical rubber brake mods), and are Thrustmaster products reliable these days ?

I'm assuming you've probably googled around a bit and seen lots of talk of high failure rates. That worried me as well. I own a T300 and a TX and they haven't failed me yet but it's always in the back of my mind lol. I'd still gladly recommend the T300. I really like it.

AmyS

I'm assuming you've probably googled around a bit and seen lots of talk of high failure rates. That worried me as well. I own a T300 and a TX and they haven't failed me yet but it's always in the back of my mind lol. I'd still gladly recommend the T300. I really like it.

I did, and yeah, that worries me somewhat.

Freeman76

Hello DiRT fans – our latest patch has landed! Here’s the list of fixes that v. 1.11 will be bringing to DiRT Rally:
•Game – Excessive knocking effect on wheels when playing rallycross (All platforms).
•Racenet – Community Delta times should now display correctly (All platforms).
•Game – AI for Classic and S1600 Rallycross adjusted to have more variety (All platforms).
•Leaderboards – They will no longer be blank and the difference column works (All platforms).
•Racenet – League events can now be restarted if you terminally damage, quit or complete an event (All platforms).
•Community – Fixed the missing string that was being displayed in a very specific situation when Racenet was unavailable (All platforms).
•Graphics – Fixes for rain effects displaying incorrectly on some AMD cards (PC).
•Graphics – Motion blur being applied to cars in bonnet camera and in replays (PC).
•Audio – Co-driver call near sector 2 in Russian is now played in the correct language (PC).
•Game – Fix to prevent unrealistic AI times being shown on Hillclimb if you save and quit after finishing a time for Run 1 (PC).
•Audio -Spotter call during the results screen for Portuguese Brazilian is now played in the correct language (PC).
•Graphics – Rain causing bad reflections on some windscreens (XB1).
•Achievements – The Only Way Is Up achievement now unlocks correctly (XB1).

Finally, we’ve also been investigating your concerns and comments about the weak FFB on certain Thrustmaster wheels. It’s still something we’re looking at, but the difference between the T300 and other Thrustmaster wheels is that the FFB is perfectly linear, with the intention of providing more realistic vehicle handling. In the first instance, we’ve been suggesting look at the settings that Thrustmaster have recommended – and some players have also found that reverting to PS3 mode, then re-enabling PS4 mode, will solve the issue.

Now, on to the fun stuff – you may notice that the patch doesn’t just bring fixes, but some additions to the content on DiRT Rally… We’ll discuss these in closer detail in tomorrow’s Road Book – but to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, we’ve added the following content:
•Art – We’ve updated Pikes Peak International Hill Climb to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the event, complete with official PPIHC logos and branding.
•Game – We’ve updated the handling on the Hill Climb cars so that you can really attack the iconic Hill Climb course.

Warning T300 users game is borked with the new patch steering feels weird plus ffb cant be adjusted, it's either on or off.....being looked into apparently.

I am starving for a racer.

I just realized how I havent played one since last gen. Ps4 seems like it has no good racing games

I want horizon so bad and am actually looking forward to playing on pc in September

I noticed this game is fairly well regarded. It's strange how Ive heard next to nothing about it though.

Is this generally the best bet for a racing game on ps4? I dont even care about online. How's single player?

Full of content or no?

Freeman76

I am starving for a racer.

I just realized how I havent played one since last gen. Ps4 seems like it has no good racing games

I want horizon so bad and am actually looking forward to playing on pc in September

I noticed this game is fairly well regarded. It's strange how Ive heard next to nothing about it though.

Is this generally the best bet for a racing game on ps4? I dont even care about online. How's single player?

Full of content or no?

Read some reviews. Full of content and easily the most rewarding racer ive played. And im old so ive played a few lol

Read some reviews. Full of content and easily the most rewarding racer ive played. And im old so ive played a few lol

Will do. Im hoping for a variety of race events

I like Burnout and Wipeout and enjoyed Sonic... never really one to try sims, but I think I could enjoy it

OCD Guy

Will do. Im hoping for a variety of race events

I like Burnout and Wipeout and enjoyed Sonic... never really one to try sims, but I think I could enjoy it

I enjoy this game, it is really good, but just be prepared for some frustration.

While some games out there call themselves sims, they're still forgiving to a degree.

This game is NOT.

It's one of the most difficult racers I've played to be honest, especially if you're like me and like to try and finish first. There is no difficulty setting as such, the difficulty comes from the events themselves as you work your way up, but I personally found it challenging from the beginning.

Judging by the type of games you mentioned, I'm not sure if I'd recommend DIrt Rally. Have you not considered DriveClub? It's really cheap and there's a lot of content with the season pass? Or alternatively The crew Complete edition is on sale at the moment on PSN.

I don't think this gen has been great with regards to arcady racers. I'd love a game like Motorstorm.....

I enjoy this game, it is really good, but just be prepared for some frustration.

While some games out there call themselves sims, they're still forgiving to a degree.

This game is NOT.

It's one of the most difficult racers I've played to be honest, especially if you're like me and like to try and finish first. There is no difficult as such, the difficulty comes from the events themselves as you work your way up, but I personally found it challenging from the beginning.

Didnt realize it was a sim

Are there difficulty settings? I dont mind a hard game, as long as it's a fair game :p

Does it have terrible rubberband a.i?

Edit: oops nevermind

OCD Guy

Didnt realize it was a sim

Are there difficulty settings? I dont mind a hard game, as long as it's a fair game :p

Does it have terrible rubberband a.i?

Edit: oops nevermind

Well the majority of the time you'll be racing against the clock as it were.

Yeah it's definitely a sim. In the previous dirt games you had to use the brakes which for some people is the distinction between sim and arcade i.e if you don't press the brake it's arcade lol. But this is worlds apart from previous Dirt games.

This is honestly a hardcore sim.

Don't get me wrong, this game is really good, and you may well enjoy it. I'm just trying to make you aware of what you will be getting into, given the type of racing games you mentioned.

Also if you're into arcade racers I just thought of trackmania turbo, there's a demo on the psn so you've got nothing to lose. It's arcade and fast.

Again aplogies for taking this thread off topic slightly, just thought I'd throw a couple of ideas out there.

Anyway if you're buying physical then you can always just trade it in if you really hate Dirt Rally.

Well the majority of the time you'll be racing against the clock as it were.

Yeah it's definitely a sim. In the previous dirt games you had to use the brakes which for some people is the distinction between sim and arcade i.e if you don't press the brake it's arcade lol. But this is worlds apart from previous Dirt games.

This is honestly a hardcore sim.

Don't get me wrong, this game is really good, and you may well enjoy it. I'm just trying to make you aware of what you will be getting into, given the type of racing games you mentioned.

Also if you're into arcade racers I just thought of trackmania turbo, there's a demo on the psn so you've got nothing to lose. It's arcade and fast.

Again aplogies for taking this thread off topic slightly, just thought I'd throw a couple of ideas out there.

Anyway if you're buying physical then you can always just trade it in if you really hate Dirt Rally.

Thanks! ill demo turbo asap.

Wish this gen would give us a Burnout :(

Forza Horizon look sooo good

Dont think Trackmania is for me.

I think Id like Dirt Rally. Mind you, I dont have a wheel, though I think I should invest in a cheap one.

Right now, the price is too steep, so I think Ill scratch my racing itch with Driveclub which is like $7.00

Can I ask what kind of modes does this game have? No Local MP if Im not mistaken, but why do people say that the single player is thin on content?

How many tracks? I feel MP online will be too difficult for me as most players are probably too experienced for me, so I want to focus on SP.

Edit: Im a dummy. OT is wonderful, reading now

So to confirm, there is no A.I racing offline? Just a career mode full of events? What kind of events? Just time trial?

GKB

So to confirm, there is no A.I racing offline? Just a career mode full of events? What kind of events? Just time trial?

Do you know about rally? The career is exactly like that, doing time trial against AI's times.

Other than that, the game has rallycross and hillclimb.

Rallycross is you racing against AI on mixed surface circuit, is that what you mean by A.I racing offline?

Well anyway, the only mode where you directly race the AI is rallycross.

Do you know about rally? The career is exactly like that, doing time trial against AI's times.

Other than that, the game has rallycross and hillclimb.

Rallycross is you racing against AI on mixed surface circuit, is that what you mean by A.I racing offline?

Well anyway, the only mode where you directly race the AI is rallycross.

I see. Regardless, Ill get this game after a good enough price drop. Thanks

Damned Monthly!

I was the last of the currently available stages and my engine have up! Retired.

does that mean I'm out for the month with only a week to go? Or come Monday am I still in?

ibu

I see. Regardless, Ill get this game after a good enough price drop. Thanks

I got the game for £25 from Amazon by using the free £10 off with the first Prime Now order. It has been worth every penny and more. I would recommend definitely getting it at the sub £30 price point. Though with the content in the game it is well worth the full price point.

I've enjoyed every moment, and it brought back amazing memories of Rallisport Challenge 2 and Colin Mcrae 2. The snow stages as mentioned earlier, so narrow and so brutal.

I drive a BMW 3 series RWD now and it's a bitch to drive in game. So difficult.

I need to get involved with the monthly tasks on here. First I need to up my skill level on the game.

MGR

Warning T300 users game is borked with the new patch steering feels weird plus ffb cant be adjusted, it's either on or off.....being looked into apparently.

PS4 auto-updated to v1.02 last night and I can confirm it's completely fucked my T300 wheel settings and is unplayable.

Good job Codies.

*EDIT*

Once I realised the game was broken I downloaded my Dirt Rally game save from the online PS+ servers (last save using v1.01 of the game, BEFORE broken patch v1.02 was installed) and backed it up onto a USB flash drive. I'm hoping once they fix the game I can just load up save v1.01 and EVERYTHING will remain unchanged. I have a feeling v1.02 has already fucked up my custom wheel settings.

May not help, but it's worth having that option.

PS4 auto-updated to v1.02 last night and I can confirm it's completely fucked my T300 wheel settings and is unplayable.

Good job Codies.

*EDIT*

Once I realised the game was broken I downloaded my Dirt Rally game save from the online PS+ servers (last save using v1.01 of the game, BEFORE broken patch v1.02 was installed) and backed it up onto a USB flash drive. I'm hoping once they fix the game I can just load up save v1.01 and EVERYTHING will remain unchanged. I have a feeling v1.02 has already fucked up my custom wheel settings.

May not help, but it's worth having that option.

Already did this (date is the 13th on my cloud save).

Deleted the game then re-installed, but paused the 1.02 patch in the downloads menu as soon as it started so i can at least play the bloody game now!

........Tried to auto patch it, but just come out and pause it again when starting the game.

gunstarhero

Just got this game yesterday for Fathers Day and...wow this game is tough.

Like the previous posts above me, I'm coming in as a fan of the arcade genre, and LOVE rally arcade racers in particular.

Anyway, I'm going to stick with it and try and get better - but I'm wondering: has anyone tinkered with the control options to make it a little more arcadey? I know it's a long shot, but figured I'd ask. :)

EDIT: Never mind. I returned it. :p

Just got this game yesterday for Fathers Day and...wow this game is tough.

Like the previous posts above me, I'm coming in as a fan of the arcade genre, and LOVE rally arcade racers in particular.

Anyway, I'm going to stick with it and try and get better - but I'm wondering: has anyone tinkered with the control options to make it a little more arcadey? I know it's a long shot, but figured I'd ask. :)

EDIT: Never mind. I returned it. :p

Probably for the best - there's no way to tweak the handling to make DiRT Rally easier, it's difficulty comes out of its design intent: learn the nuances through your mistakes. Having said, there are certainly cars that handle more accessibly than others.

But at the end of the day, if you came in wanting an arcade racing experience, probably not up your alley.

EDIT: eh post is from 6 days ago - sad this thread is dying, but it had a good run.

DD

Guys, I recently bought a G27 and with it I discovered that I'm... not really a fan of this game's FFB. Are there any mods to improve it?

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Nah, it's good fun with a controller. I don't think it makes the game more difficult. You can definitely enjoy it without a wheel.

Jimrpg

The one thing I would like more of are more countries and rally tracks and a better career mode.

Otherwise the game is the best rally game of all time. Easily.

Top Bottom