• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

It's a full sim, right? Manual transmission is default (I only play manual if I can)?

Arrrggg! So tempting with the sale! I dunno...I just suck at games these days. Getting too old (41y/o)? Everything I've heard about it mentions how hard it is.

I've only played auto on a controller - it's difficulty just comes from learning from your mistakes. I am not a racing guru and I progressed well into the game.

If you love rally, there is honestly no excuse for passing on this, its a masterwork.

Bought this game at the beginning of the summer sale and have put 25 hours in. For the most part I'm loving it, but I just got to level 3 of rallycross (professional I think) and I'm so fucking salty at the crazy rubberbanding. Every single start I am able to get off the line quicker than everyone else but then they somehow gain more speed than me and pass. It's painfully noticeable thanks to the fact that nine times out of ten my group will all place in the top 4 leagues higher than the rest.

What tips do you guys have for the rallycross? How do you setup your cars beforehand?

Bought this yesterday on PC. Holy crap, I'm in love.

Some stages look better than others, but the driving itself is so rewarding. When you flow a bunch of corners it just feels so good.

I like the tension of it, trying to not mess up deep into a series or whatever, with the steady barrage of pace notes. In a way the coordination reminds me of why I like to ride motorcycles.

xrnzaaas

I'm 42 and I do ok on PS4 with a controller.

Any interest in the PS4 league starting up again?

I'm always interested. :) Now if only the game's servers were more stable... one minute they work and another they don't. I really hate it when I've completed a run in an online event and the game can't save it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Looks like version 1.2 is downloading on steam as of today. Seems to just add some VR features, nothing much more appears to be in the notes.

EDIT: woah, seems to be a 10GB update!!! And if you don't use VR then it's not really adding anything for you and will just be hogging up 10GB of drive space, that seems like an odd way to do it...o_O

Darkdeus

Damn playing this in the rift at Ultra settings and 1.5 super sampling is amazing! It looks so good and the sense of speed and scale is fantastic. Driving next to a cliff edge feels a lot more intense in VR. Definitely looks way more clear than Project Cars in VR too and the FPS stays near 90 FPS with my gtx1080.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a way to have car motion enabled in VR but make the turn symbols stay stationary? If I turn car movement on, the turn symbols start jumping all over the screen.

Kryten

I admitted defeat over the weekend and used Cheat Engine to give myself enough money to buy all of the cars in the game. NOW I'm back to having fun with Dirt Rally, the grind was killing me and being able to jump into the current monthly event has really improved my enthusiasm for playing.

I picked this up during early access and even though I knew it was a great game I just hated the slog. Currently sitting in 34th on the table for the August monthly driving the 2001 Subaru, which pretty much means I was the 34th player to complete today/tonight's newly added Germany stages :)

zedge

I admitted defeat over the weekend and used Cheat Engine to give myself enough money to buy all of the cars in the game. NOW I'm back to having fun with Dirt Rally, the grind was killing me and being able to jump into the current monthly event has really improved my enthusiasm for playing.

I picked this up during early access and even though I knew it was a great game I just hated the slog. Currently sitting in 34th on the table for the August monthly driving the 2001 Subaru, which pretty much means I was the 34th player to complete today/tonight's newly added Germany stages :)

I kind of lost interest due to the grind. Please tell me more about this cheat engine. :)

xrnzaaas

I've ended up not owning many cars as well (0 from 2010s - they cost more than a half million each). Hopefully the career in future Dirt games will be less grindy. You can earn good money on higher difficulty levels (the daily/weekly events aren't that attractive), but you have to pay salaries as well so at the end of the day it's not that much per rally.

Hi guys, please let me know if there's a better place to direct this type of question.

Today after crashing really hard in a race my VR cockpit view has been stuck like this.
http://i.imgur.com/kzJh5Ic.jpg

Keep in mind this was with me leaning forward a bit to hit the screenshot button my my keyboard, but still with me leaned back it has my face clipping through the steering wheel.

I've tried using CTRL to reset the view, but that doesn't work.
Also the menus appear correctly (i.e. they are the right size).

Is there some setting I might have accidentally changed when I had the crash (I just got a racing wheel, so I may have hit a button)?

EDIT: Found out it was a different camera option, which I had tried changing using the wheel unsuccessfully. It worked fine on a controller...

The PS4 version is 50% off on the PS Store right now, so I am finally able to pick it up. Can't wait for this download to finish! The last rally game that I invested a ton of time into was Rallisport Challenge for Xbox, so I'm long overdue for some heavy racing action. Yes, I am excited.

Cheers, folks!

DD

The PS4 version is 50% off on the PS Store right now, so I am finally able to pick it up. Can't wait for this download to finish! The last rally game that I invested a ton of time into was Rallisport Challenge for Xbox, so I'm long overdue for some heavy racing action. Yes, I am excited.

Cheers, folks!

Get ready to be kicked really hard in the ass.

epmode

Cheers, folks!

This is a lot more of a sim than RSC. It's going to take some time to adapt. I love both games but I'd still do unspeakable things for a new RSC.

This is a lot more of a sim than RSC. It's going to take some time to adapt. I love both games but I'd still do unspeakable things for a new RSC.

Most bits I've read have said as much, but I'm really anticipating getting deep into another rally racer. At this point, I think more of a sim might actually be a good thing.

And yes, I can't even imagine how many hours I put into RSC! I'd be all over another one of those haha

Get ready to be kicked really hard in the ass.

Haha it already hurts! But I gotta say, the game feels fantastic and it sounds great. The sensation of nailing a turn properly is damn awesome. Slowly but surely, I can sense some improvement, but there's no doubt that this game is serious business. Enjoying it so far!

Frillen

Just bought it and really liking the Rally part.

But what the hell is going on in Rallycross? Why do I start out so slow? The other cars must have jet engines because I'm stuck at the start moving like a snail during the first 2-3 seconds while the others fly off, and it's impossible to make up for the start. What am I doing wrong!? Tips?

Mengy

But what the hell is going on in Rallycross? Why do I start out so slow? The other cars must have jet engines because I'm stuck at the start moving like a snail during the first 2-3 seconds while the others fly off, and it's impossible to make up for the start. What am I doing wrong!? Tips?

I don't know what to tell you, as I have the same issue with Rallycross. The AI is just incredibly hard in it, to the point where I can't really progress at all. I avoid it pretty much, just like in DiRT 2 and 3 too, LOL.

It's too bad. I LOVE this game and have spent hours on getting very good at it. However, if I even spend just a couple weeks away from the game I become absolutely terrible and have to re-learn a lot of stuff. It just doesn't come as naturally to me as a shooter, sim racer (Forza/GT), or anything else. It's just it's own unique beast and it's discouraging lol

Mengy

It's too bad. I LOVE this game and have spent hours on getting very good at it. However, if I even spend just a couple weeks away from the game I become absolutely terrible and have to re-learn a lot of stuff. It just doesn't come as naturally to me as a shooter, sim racer (Forza/GT), or anything else. It's just it's own unique beast and it's discouraging lol

Yeah, it comes back to me fast though, but this is why I don’t play DiRT Rally for awhile but then when I get back around to it I’ll play it nonstop for days or weeks even. Once I get “back in the groove” I just keep playing it over everything else.

I have too many games I like to play regularly, sometimes many of them sit for a time. I need more free time….

scrcrw

Have you tried the Rallycross Supercars? I find it a lot easier to win with them and they're much more fun to drive imo.

DD

Have you tried the Rallycross Supercars? I find it a lot easier to win with them and they're much more fun to drive imo.

True. They're scary at first, but once you get it, it will still scare the shit out of you, but in a cool way. :)

wouwie

After a long break (due to various reasons), i decided to get back into this game (despite having a huge backlog of new games i still need to play) and i still love it. I'm not good at it though and i have a feeling i will never be, no matter how much i play (just like with Trials Fusion). I just finished my first pro championship and was ONE point short for promotion to elite :(

The driving is just so good and fun, especially when playing with headphones. It's easily one of the best games released this year for me.

I don't plan on buying a PS4pro but if there was a Dirt patch that irons out some of the screentearing (especially in some Monaco stages) and improves the visuals, i might be tempted.

I'm considering getting Dirt Rally on PC via the current Steam 'Codemasters DiRT Collection' bundle sale this weekend for $37.13...I haven't played the series since Dirt 2 6+ years ago, which was great.

Big question, though: does it have more an emphasis on traditional stage racing (like) than rallycross (don't care as much)? I hope I'm not forced to do rallycross more than I need to in order to significantly advance in the game.

Or should I just pick up Dirt 3 Complete Collection for $6.89 instead? lol

DD

I'm considering getting Dirt Rally on PC via the current Steam 'Codemasters DiRT Collection' bundle sale this weekend for $37.13...I haven't played the series since Dirt 2 6+ years ago, which was great.

Big question, though: does it have more an emphasis on traditional stage racing (like) than rallycross (don't care as much)? I hope I'm not forced to do rallycross more than I need to in order to significantly advance in the game.

Here's the thing: Dirt Rally is a simulator. It's way way harder than the Dirt games that came before. Forget about Dirt 2 when thinking about Dirt Rally. It's a completely different beast, really.

Yes, the main focus is on traditional rallying. You don't have to touch rally cross or hillclimb if you don't want to. You won't lose anything by doing that. Rally cross and hillclimb are like extras in the game. There's no depth in any of these disciplines. The real focus is on traditional rallying. It doesn't have all that "flashyness" Dirt 2 had. Things are more straight forward here. Seriously, this is hardcore stuff. If you want a game just to relax and do some silly stuff, stay away from it. But if you're up to the challenge, you'll find an awesome game in Dirt Rally.

Mohonky

Its not like the Dirt (insert number here) titles at all. There isnt a structure to speak of. You choose Rally, Hill Climb (Pikes Peak) or Rallycross. You can do any of them at any time, but theres no structure that says ok you've done this, next few events are Rallycross. Its either / or and you choose from the menu what you want to do.

You can avoid Rally Cross entirely. The game is basically divided into 3 types at the menu. I did Rallycross out of curiousity, and yeop, its still a shit sport imo. I just do Rally only.

DD

Its not like the Dirt (insert number here) titles at all. There isnt a structure to speak of. You choose Rally, Hill Climb (Pikes Peak) or Rallycross. You can do any of them at any time, but theres no structure that says ok you've done this, next few events are Rallycross. Its either / or and you choose from the menu what you want to do.

You can avoid Rally Cross entirely. The game is basically divided into 3 types at the menu. I did Rallycross out of curiousity, and yeop, its still a shit sport imo. I just do Rally only.

Just to add a little detail here. When Mohonky says that there's no structure he means that there are no events on the menu woth some sort of check mark to point that you've done it or not, GamePnoy74. But there's a career mode where you earn points and money to buy new cars and improve your crew, and these championships (speaking of traditional rallying) are long, specially on the higher dificulty levels. On the higher level you can have a championship with 72 stages, with tracks varying from 2:30 to something like 8 minutes to complete. And there are online events that can get you really busy too.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I've played a good bit of the old Colin McRae games back in the day too. I've built a decent PC over the summer and can properly get back into the series now. =)

Edit: I just purchased the bundle from Steam (Dirt Rally, Dirt 3 Complete Edition, Dirt Showdown, and Colin McRae Rally) and downloading now! =D

Meteorain

Picked this game up a few days ago. Man was I missing out.

Having played a fair bit of Dirt 3, I thought I knew what I was getting into. Nope. Everything I thought I knew was a lie.

It's been a fantastic experience playing a Sim racer, something I've not really done. Honestly, it's probably from a personal perspective the best racing game I've ever played. It also looks and runs beautifully.

I'd like to give a shout out to the Lancia's for being uncontrollable in all racing games I've played (still sussed it out.....i think).

Just picked this up for 20 bucks used from Gamefly. Had my eye on it for a while and couldn't resist. It's either this or Forza Horizon 3 for me, so we'll see how it goes. I know they are two very different games, but I just gotta scratch that racing itch. Seems like it's been a while since Driveclub blew me away. Racing games have been few and far between this gen so far.

Mengy

Anyone heard anything about any DLC? Been a while since the release.

Sadly there won't be any expansions or DLC. I wish there would be because I'd most likely buy them all on day one.

I'm not too upset though, as it's still my favorite rally game of all time, and I plan to be playing it for many years to come. They truly hit a home run with DiRT Rally.

Chiramii

So how is this game with a keyboard? I've played with a wheel long enough to know that I'm a KB player. Used KB with Dirt 2, 3 and Showdown and didn't feel that I had a disadvantage when playing online. Is this game more of a sim?

Eridani

So how is this game with a keyboard? I've played with a wheel long enough to know that I'm a KB player. Used KB with Dirt 2, 3 and Showdown and didn't feel that I had a disadvantage when playing online. Is this game more of a sim?

It's definitely more of a sim, and I can't really see it playing well with a keyboard. Now, I do remember seeing people post some pretty good times on reddit playing with mouse and keyboard, so I guess it's technically possible to do ok with it if you put in a lot of work, but the game is definitely not very suited towards it. I'm pretty sure you also need external programs to make it work well.

It does play well with a controller though if that's ok for you.

Sickbean

Guys, can anyone help me with this infuriating problem -

I'm running the game on an i5-6600 and 1070 on a G Sync monitor at 1440p and getting around 120fps mostly.

The problem is that occasionally (especially in corners for some reason) the frame rate drops to below 20fps for a second, which obviously causes me to crash and ruins my run.

Any suggestions? I've tried capping to 100fps with RTSS and this seems to help a bit, but doesn't eradicate it.

Help much appreciated!

Top Bottom